Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bleacher Report: RGIII and Mike Shanahan Could Make The Redskins Unstoppable

tds

The dream of every coach and player in the NFL is to have an offense that is so multidimensional that game film does little to help an opposing defense prepare for it.

Said offense would have every player necessary to form a utopian game plan, and those players would be able to adapt their skills to whatever the game required.

While this perfection may never exist in the NFL, the Redskins definitely have a player who could operate such an attack, Robert Griffin III. And they certainly have a coach who could run it, Mike Shanahan.

Against the Saints in Week 1, the Redskins rolled up 459 yards of offense. It wasn't a pristine performance, but it was better than any offensive showing from 2011 and raised the bar in terms of how this team should produce in 2012.

It was a completely different offense than Redskins fans are accustomed to, in particular due to the play-calling. It was refreshing to see a dose of read-option pass and run plays injected into the game plan, and there's no question that the Saints defense was off-balance for the entire game.*

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1334590-robert-griffin-iii-and-mike-shanahan-could-make-the-redskins-unstoppable

didn't they have us predicted at 2-14?

Not sure about BR but ESPN the magazine had us at 2-14.

Look for the black bags unders Jeff Fishers eyes on Sunday. Lots of sleepless nights for coaches trying to come up with a scheme to stop RG3 this year.

Sunday can't come soon enough.. I'd really like to see a repeat performance like last Sunday or better if we want to believe this team is unstoppable. I expect our defense to shred the Rams oline tomorrow which should give our Redskins plenty of opportunity to score some points. If so, great things are ahead.

Not sure about BR but ESPN the magazine had us at 2-14.

Look for the black bags unders Jeff Fishers eyes on Sunday. Lots of sleepless nights for coaches trying to come up with a scheme to stop RG3 this year.

I get ESPN Magizine and if I'm not mistaken, there was an asterik beside the predicted 2-14 record and it stated that this was based on Rex being the starter not RGIII as the projections came from his performance. Then it said something like with RGIII in there the projected wins went up to 7, so a 7-9 finish.

If someone has the magizine or remembers exactly, please confirm this and update if needed. I have long since tossed that issue in the trash.

I get ESPN Magizine and if I'm not mistaken, there was an asterik beside the predicted 2-14 record and it stated that this was based on Rex being the starter not RGIII as the projections came from his performance. Then it said something like with RGIII in there the projected wins went up to 7, so a 7-9 finish.

Still, though, even with Rex, we're better than 2-14. We've just about never shown the propensity to lose THAT many games, we just don't and that had been one of our issues, that we were just good enough to not get the very best draft picks (even if only for trade down purposes.) 5 wins again with Rex, I could see but not 2-3. Skins just haven't been THAT bad for a very long time. Hell, we weren't that bad during Spurrier, at least not w/l wise.

I'm still not really buying into the "changes the game foreverz!" line, but RGIII does have the physical abilities to *maybe* develop into an Aaron Rodgers style QB, except faster. Unstoppable is a strong word, but it would be incredibly good. Of course, we need the weapons to fill the rest of the team, and we need a strong running game. The one thing offensively that kills teams like GB, DET, NE, is that when the pass attack gets slowed they seem to falter because their running game is sub-par and unreliable. If we can somehow have RGIII, receivers, and a running game (and the Oline), we should easily be one of the elite offenses in the NFL in a couple of years.

We're not in too bad of shape either. LT is locked down (barring weed related setbacks), QB is now locked down, WRs and TEs are pretty decent. The biggest ? is the running game where we've got 3 decent guys, but we don't quite know if any of them will turn out to be true solutions.

didn't they have us predicted at 2-14?

Bleacher Report is a glorified blog in a sense -- you could write for it if you wanted. It's got some moderation, but it's still amateur stuff. There's no "official" pick; it's lots of different wanna-be authors.

The good is that several of these guys are good enough to be beat writers, but when you read a BR piece, it's often nobody you've ever read there before.

Ha, see -- here's that article's author's bio pic. No bias here at all.

Photo_on_2012-09-13_at_19.29_crop_150x150.jpg?1347582588

The WaPo this ain't.

I also can't leave a thread with "unstoppable" in the title without adding this:

nike-kobe-lebron-commercial-3-00.jpg

"Man, who you talkin' to like that?"

The media has gone bananas. It's only one game.

I've never been one to just type "this", but..."this".

It just goes to show that in today's media, there's no such thing as too much hype. I'm waiting for the Onion to do an article called "Robert Griffin ÃŽII cures cancer, AIDS, saves 10,000 starving children in Ethiopia, and invents an new, powerful energy source from air. This past Thursday."

One game means nothing. We haven't even had a division game yet. My expectations remain at 8-8 being a successful year.

I hate to say it Destino...but you're kinda right. Our hopes and gameplay in the first 7 games of our seasons have often left us way hyped. Then the last 9 games kick our butts and we're left pissed. I'm with you bro, they way we play the last half is where I'm looking for growth and change. I am optimistic though!

Honestly I'll take the Rams lose if this will calm down the over the top hype that surrounded this team after one game. It was wayyyy too much. I don't know how Dallas fans love and eat that stuff up. It's only week 2 and there are lots of games that left to be played.

Archived