Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Mess going on at Penn state Thread

Elessar78

Shocked there isn't a thread on here about all the mess going on at Penn State.

Since it's my alma mater I thought I'd start the thread. Bostic Hog and myself have exchanged PMs on the matter, but might as well discuss with the Tailgate.

Here is the grand jury report: http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/uploadedFiles/Press/Sandusky-Grand-Jury-Presentment.pdf

As a caveat, it's very graphic.

I'm obviously not an impartial source. Anyway, have at it.

I wasn't trying to rip on Penn State.

It's just crazy how this will forever change Paterno's legacy and it's absolutely disgusting what happened to those children.

Yup. Even if he didn't have a clue about any of this, this will probably tarnish his reputation.

It's a shame (if he didn't have any idea what was happen) but what's worse is what happened to this children. A dream trip to hallowed college football ground turned into the most horrific experience of their lives.

i hate to say it, but JoPa legacy is going to be tarnished. hate to see him leave because of something like this, but how can he not be partially responsible?

on another note, how does that GA NOT call the cops if you see something like that? as a parent that is disgusting

Yup. Even if he didn't have a clue about any of this, this will probably tarnish his reputation.

He will get some of the blame. Apparently a grad student reported concerns to Paterno and he passed it onto two senior administrators (Curley and Schulz) who both are facing charges for failing to report it and perjury associated with a coverup.

It's a shame (if he didn't have any idea what was happen) but what's worse is what happened to this children. A dream trip to hallowed college football ground turned into the most horrific experience of their lives.

He did have a clue. Read the grand jury report that Elessar posted. Victim #2.

Beyond ****ed up.

That clown was informed in 2002 that there was something that happened, and he chose to take the coaches reputation over the child.

Fire them all.

Disgusting.

According to the report, the Grand Jury's determination was that the incident should have been reported to one of two "authorities": University Park Police or Pennsylvania State Police. Paterno had a meeting with Shultz shortly after the GA meeting. Shultz was the head of University Park Police.

Additionally, Sandusky had been investigated by two other "authorities" in 1998 in conjunction with allegations of sexual abuse to children. State College Police Dept and PA Dept of Public Welfare. The info was out there on Sandusky.

It looks like Joe Pa didn't commit a crime because he reported the incident to authorities. But when they did nothing, his obligation was clear.

Well when it comes to child abuse, I would hope there was a little more interest than that. But if it makes you sleep well at night.

It looks like Joe Pa didn't commit a crime because he reported the incident to authorities. But when they did nothing, his obligation was clear.

Wait, are you saying that he had done all he could and was in the clear, or that his obligation to do more is clear? Because it seems to me that he was told that his friend and ex-coach was anal raping a 10 year old boy in the locker room, he shouldn't have rested until that **** was dealt with properly.

Wait, are you saying that he had done all he could and was in the clear, or that his obligation to do more is clear? Because it seems to me that he was told that his friend and ex-coach was anal raping a 10 year old boy in the locker room, he shouldn't have rested until that **** was dealt with properly.
Well when it comes to child abuse, I would hope there was a little more interest than that. But if it makes you sleep well at night.

I am pretty sure he is saying that when the authorities did nothing, JoePa should have done more. There was a lot of smoke here, I heard something about this a while back but I had no idea there was apparently this much going on.

This is an absolutely horrible situation and if these accusations are true, major heads are going to roll for good reason. I am not sure if JoePa will get fired for this, but I would be surprised if he coaches beyond this year one way or another with the cloud that this will create over the program and athletic department as a whole. I have a feeling that there is going to be some major house cleaning within the PSU athletic department and some pretty serious criminal charges faced. Just a bothersome situation on so many levels.

I am pretty sure he is saying that when the authorities did nothing, JoePa should have done more. There was a lot of smoke here, I heard something about this a while back but I had no idea there was apparently this much going on.

This is an absolutely horrible situation and if these accusations are true, major heads are going to roll for good reason. I am not sure if JoePa will get fired for this, but I would be surprised if he coaches beyond this year one way or another with the cloud that this will create over the program and athletic department as a whole. I have a feeling that there is going to be some major house cleaning within the PSU athletic department and some pretty serious criminal charges faced. Just a bothersome situation on so many levels.

Like my post above says, AD and President will be gone for their parts in the cover up. But I get the feeling that this may be just the tip of the iceberg and it most likely goes deeper in to the Athletic Department than we know right now.

What's not clear? He told the college police. When they did nothing he should have taken it to law enforcement.

Yes, he should be fired.

Hearing that the Board of Trustees met tonight and there will be a press conference at noon tomorrow. It's looking like AD Curley, Gary Schultz, and President Spanier are going to be fired.

I am just shocked about Curley. I worked in college athletics for a while and Curley had a very good reputation among his peers. If the charges against him are true...I just don't understand how you could sweep something like this under the rug. At some point athletics take a back seat to decency and justice.

What's not clear? He told the college police. When they did nothing he should have taken it to law enforcement.

Yes, he should be fired.

Paterno and Grad Assistant went to the AD, AD told the Grad Assistant that authorities were contacted and Sandusky was not allowed to use the locker rooms. It was also reported to the charity he was working for. So now it's Paterno's fault that he was lied to by his AD and the School President. Also, if this is the case why not go after the GA? He saw the whole thing first hand, why shouldn't he go to the cops. Why you guys are attacking Paterno, I have no idea. He reported it to the AD and was told that the authorities were notified, what more should he do? Demand to see the report paperwork?

Archived