Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shanny's record didn't justify his hiring. Shanny & Bruce must explain the overhaul to Danny.

88Comrade2000

You know just what earned Shanny respect in Danny's eyes? 2 Superbowl wins more than a decade ago?

Here's Shanny's record before Danny became the Redskins owner:

1988 Los Angeles Raiders 7 9 0 .438

1989 Los Angeles Raiders 1 3 0 .250- Shanny fired

1995 Denver Broncos 8 8 0 .500

1996 Denver Broncos 13 3 0 .813 0 1 .000

1997 Denver Broncos 12 4 0 .750 4 0 1.000 SB Champions

1998 Denver Broncos 14 2 0 .875 3 0 1.000 SB Champions

Shanny's been living off those 2 Superbowls ever since but he really hasn't done much since then.

1999 Denver Broncos 6 10 0 .375

2000 Denver Broncos 11 5 0 .688 0 1 .000

2001 Denver Broncos 8 8 0 .500

2002 Denver Broncos 9 7 0 .563

2003 Denver Broncos 10 6 0 .625 0 1 .000

2004 Denver Broncos 10 6 0 .625 0 1 .000

2005 Denver Broncos 13 3 0 .813 1 1 .500

2006 Denver Broncos 9 7 0 .563

2007 Denver Broncos 7 9 0 .438

2008 Denver Broncos 8 8 0 .500 - Shanny fired after the season

2010 Wash. Redskins 5 9 0 .357

The moment Shanny was fired, Danny wanted him. The thing is, post Elway Shanny did little to justify his so called reputation. I remember those 2 playoff loses in 2003 and 2004 were blowoff losses to the Colts. The only really good season he had was 2005 when Broncos lost to the Steelers in the AFC Championship game.

Based on Shanny's own history, I don't not see him being successful here or anywhere really. If he's given the time, he will bring us up to mediocrity and will get fired for failing to meet Snyder's expectations. Shanny is way overrated and is living off past glories.

I would love Snyder to can Shanny and Spawn. That isn't happening, well I am 90% sure that isn't happening. This is Dan Snyder, so you never know. Danny should demand Haslett's firing as Haslett took a strength and made it a weakness.

Shanny and Bruce needs to discuss with Shanny exactly what needs to be done. Explain to him that the next couple of years are going to be losing seasons, which will look really bad when the 18 game schedule kicks in. This years 5-11 will be a 5-13 in 2 years. The team needs a complete overhaul and it will take 2-3 years to complete rebuild.

They need to assure him that the fiasco of 2010 will not happen again.

Once they do that, I fully expect Shanny to get fired when the Skins fail to make the playoffs in Year 4.

I've said I would love for Shanny to go as he's pissed me off. I am pissed off fan though, so you know I may not be 100% rational. I don't believe Shanny will be successful, well as far as taking this team to the playoffs. He will rebuild us to a point and get fired and then his replacement will be the one to have some success. 2016 Superbowl here we come!

What do you want? 12 super bowls? The patriots should have won 9 so far the way you are judging wins and losses! Ravens have been a winning team and only have 1 ring to show for it! Shanny has been a winning coach in his career, winning and turning a turd of a franchise like this one will take time!

Getting to the playoffs almost every year is a good enough record based on the fact that this franchise has been in the playoffs only twice in the last 10 years. Shanny gave his team a chance to win the superbowl by taking them to the playoffs. If you're a redskins fan, don't even criticize his record. We've been to the playoffs only twice. That's pathetic.

I would hope that as part of the hiring process Shanny and Allen discussed a 3 to 5 year plan with Snyder which set out the offensive and defensive philosophy and the front office and roster changes needed to develop a franchise that can consistently compete for Division titles and Super Bowls. If such a long term plan does not exist THEN I'm worried about Shanny and Allen.

As for this year, worse than I expected on offense and about what I expected on defense. Best we can say is we identified some young players and also identified some veterans who will not be part of the future here.

We now have a critical offseason coming the results of which will decide the next two or three years for our team - and longer if we get it wrong.

So OP, who would you have hired?

To me Shanahan was the best man for the job, and evidently Snyder

thought the same thing.

Some of you have forgotten just how bad this franchise was!,

NO, we are not to total respectability, but damn, give the man a chance, Rome wasn't built

In a day.

Every head coach makes mistakes, if you don't believe that, go read some other teams message boards.

Did he handle every situation perfectly?

Not really, but he is human, and he handled them the way he felt was the best.

We as fans have the luxerey of hind site, the man making the decisions doesn't get afforded such entitlement.

I truly believe he is doing things that are in the best interest of the Redskins, as a team.

No, Shanny didn't win a Super Bowl or get back to one without Elway. But under him, the Broncos were always a solid, respectable club that made the playoffs quite often. Right now, I just want to be that. Lets not worry about Super Bowls, lets worry about at least being a team that can contend for the playoffs every year.

OP.....we are the equivalent of the Baltimore Orioles or Washington Wizards. That kind of fail can take decades to correct, if ever.

Certainly you aren't a fan of this team because you believe we have a realistic chance to win the SB in the next five years.

Shanahan is an average, to maybe even slightly above average coach. Compare that to what the Orioles or Wizards have, and be happy we could attract even him.

In a couple of interviews over the past year Snyder has indicated that as long as he has an coach with a pedigree like Joe Gibbs or Mike Shanahan, he feels like he doesn't have to be as "involved." In other words, it seems like we're either going to be stuck with retreads or a meddling Danny. Wonderful.

Personally, I would've preferred we went with a young coordinator, but I guess Snyder really felt burned by the Zorn experiment. However, I wonder how he feels now that Mike has won only one more game than Zorn did with what was supposed to be a "franchise QB."

I agree with Warhead36 that the Broncos did seem to be a solid team under Shanny and I would like to see the rest of the proverbial movie with him at the helm. We simply cannot continue to go through coaches the way we did in Snyder's first decade as owner.

Also, I think in another thread the OP mentioned Gruden or Grimm as possible replacements. Was Gruden's record really that great after he won his SB? Also, while Grimm may be deserving of a HC position after all these years, I think people bring his name up just because he played here.

I'm willing to not overreact and give shanny a lot more time to fix the redskins.

all the skins have done is change systems over and over and over again. For once I'd like to see a coach have the chance to change the team to his system and have some sort on continuity year to year.

Shanny had a winning record in 8 out of the 10 season with Den after Elway. We've been one of the worst teams in the NFL during that same 10 year span. Now, what is your complaint again dude?

He played in as many playoffs over that span as the Redskins did, in a worse division. I didn't want the guy hired because he ran his own little circus over there in Denver for the last few of his years, but since he's already here they should give him some time.

I'd have preferred Gruden or Cowher or Schottenheimer to be given a real shot but Shanahan we have so it's too late to just start over for the what 6th time since Snyder bought the team. Personally, I'd prefer if Snyder fired himself if he wants to start over again now.

In 14 seasons the guy had 2 losing seasons. I would kill for the Redskins to have that and consistently make the playoffs. I also love the bull**** about he can't do anything without Elway. How many ****ing Super Bowls did Elway win without Shannahan? How have the Broncos done since he left. Josh McDumbass got rid of players Shanny drafted that would have made that team constant playoff contenders. That team would be unstoppable with Jay Cutler, Brandon Marshall and Peyton Hillis with Shanny coaching.I gurantee Pat Bowlen kicks himself in the nuts once a day for firing the guy. Shanny will get this team on the right path. The Donovan trade was a mistake but the young players that people are excited about right now like Trent Williams,Brandon Banks and Ryan Torain are guys Shanny brought in and he recognized the talent Armstrong has when other coaches might have cut him.He unloaded all the dead weight and because of the CBA messing with free agency he couldn't fill the holes we had they way he might have if things would have been normal.

hasnt done much??? im not counting this season because anyone with half a brain knew what he was inheriting and knew he didnt have a chance. its re re's like this who just dont get it!!

10 seasons

2 years with a losing record

4 playoff teams

2 yrs where his team just missed out of playoffs

this with starting qb's named brian griese, jake plummer and rookie/2nd yr cutler. playing in the afc that has dominated from top to bottom for the past 15 years.

you call that nothing?? name 5 coaches who were better in that span. you probably thought zorn was the best thing since sliced bread didnt you?

You know just what earned Shanny respect in Danny's eyes? 2 Superbowl wins more than a decade ago?

Here's Shanny's record before Danny became the Redskins owner:

1988 Los Angeles Raiders 7 9 0 .438

1989 Los Angeles Raiders 1 3 0 .250- Shanny fired

1995 Denver Broncos 8 8 0 .500

1996 Denver Broncos 13 3 0 .813 0 1 .000

1997 Denver Broncos 12 4 0 .750 4 0 1.000 SB Champions

1998 Denver Broncos 14 2 0 .875 3 0 1.000 SB Champions

Shanny's been living off those 2 Superbowls ever since but he really hasn't done much since then.

1999 Denver Broncos 6 10 0 .375

2000 Denver Broncos 11 5 0 .688 0 1 .000

2001 Denver Broncos 8 8 0 .500

2002 Denver Broncos 9 7 0 .563

2003 Denver Broncos 10 6 0 .625 0 1 .000

2004 Denver Broncos 10 6 0 .625 0 1 .000

2005 Denver Broncos 13 3 0 .813 1 1 .500

2006 Denver Broncos 9 7 0 .563

2007 Denver Broncos 7 9 0 .438

2008 Denver Broncos 8 8 0 .500 - Shanny fired after the season

2010 Wash. Redskins 5 9 0 .357

The moment Shanny was fired, Danny wanted him. The thing is, post Elway Shanny did little to justify his so called reputation. I remember those 2 playoff loses in 2003 and 2004 were blowoff losses to the Colts. The only really good season he had was 2005 when Broncos lost to the Steelers in the AFC Championship game.

7 straight years with non-losing record.... I dont think we have 7 non losing seasons since 1993 total

Shannys record looks pretty good to me especially in todays NFL as evenly stacked as it is. am i missing your point or do we just disagree?

Based on Shanny's own history, I don't not see him being successful here or anywhere really. If he's given the time, he will bring us up to mediocrity and will get fired for failing to meet Snyder's expectations. Shanny is way overrated and is living off past glories.

I would love Snyder to can Shanny and Spawn. That isn't happening, well I am 90% sure that isn't happening. This is Dan Snyder, so you never know. Danny should demand Haslett's firing as Haslett took a strength and made it a weakness.

Shanny and Bruce needs to discuss with Shanny exactly what needs to be done. Explain to him that the next couple of years are going to be losing seasons, which will look really bad when the 18 game schedule kicks in. This years 5-11 will be a 5-13 in 2 years. The team needs a complete overhaul and it will take 2-3 years to complete rebuild.

They need to assure him that the fiasco of 2010 will not happen again.

Once they do that, I fully expect Shanny to get fired when the Skins fail to make the playoffs in Year 4.

I've said I would love for Shanny to go as he's pissed me off. I am pissed off fan though, so you know I may not be 100% rational. I don't believe Shanny will be successful, well as far as taking this team to the playoffs. He will rebuild us to a point and get fired and then his replacement will be the one to have some success. 2016 Superbowl here we come!

You aren't even 10% rational.

Archived