Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are the Beatles overrated?

OrangeSkin

not at all. they did make a lot of pop songs, but then they just got drugged up and made some really good progressive songs. They were a talented band among their time, and they are a very talented band compared to whats on the radio now. They played other instruments like trumpet, and if they didnt, they definitely wrote for other instruments which takes skill. They used a sitar and tablas in some of their later songs, which is interesting since it is hard to mix eastern and western instruments. They definitely had talent and they were poppish at times, but also very deep at other times.

Just to clarify, I completely agree with the above gentlemen. In no way do I think the Beatles are overrated.

I just wanted to see where this thread go, because I've seen the same topic get pretty heated on other boards. :)

I don't think they are overrated at all. I prefer Led Zep as my all time greatest band, but I realize that more people would pick the Beatles.

I don't really like the early Beatles stuff, but I loved the later stuff. I think the drugs did them good.

Originally posted by codeorama

I don't think they are overrated at all. I prefer Led Zep as my all time greatest band, but I realize that more people would pick the Beatles.

I don't really like the early Beatles stuff, but I loved the later stuff. I think the drugs did them good.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

:thumbsup:

I have to give a very loud HELL NO on this one. Paul McCartney is one of the greatest song writers ever and definitely one of my major influences as a bass player. Add that to the twisted imagination of John Lennon and even George & Ringo were great.. They all grew up writing & living together, eventually becoming an all star band where each individual was powerful enough by themselves that majic happened when put together. The beatles were awesome. Paul is still rockin.. checkout his dvd.

I am the Walrus

Their impact on music can’t be overestimated IMO. They single handedly influenced a whole generation of musicians, arguably the most creative ever. The list of big time performers who say they picked up a guitar for the first time or wanted to be a rock star because of the Beatles would go on and on and would cover all musical spectrums.

I can appreciate all of their musical phases but, unlike most of you it seems, I like the earlier stuff more. It was just simple, cool pop music with good melody and a memorable hook: She Loves You, I Want to Hold You Hand and Can’t Buy Me Love. As they evolved (and started dropping acid) they lost me a bit, but to each his own.

It was a case of the right talent coming together at just the right time.

Ask me this question when I was in High shool and I might have said yes....

I think the most profound thing about the Beatles is the older and more experienced in music you get, as well as exposure to other bands, you hear their influence on everyone and the groundbreaking things they did. They started off as a weak blues rip-off and transgressed into one of the greatest musical machines of all time. Worthy of coming close to Beethovan, Bach and Motzart. I think their impact on music in general was greater that the others I mentioned IMO.

It's so amazing to give them a break for a while, listen to other stuff and come back to them.

It's like watching old Gibbs' Redskins.....:thumbsup:

The Beach Boys-aka BRIAN WILSON deserve to be up there right with them...........

Have to keep in mind "when" they started. Rock as we know it was still very young and evolving. Their early stuff blended a fair share of blues, early american rock, and other influences. though somewhat simple in many ways, so was much of the music back then. And as the 60's decade went by and rock began to change, so did the Beatles, in someways leading the way,( You know which allbums). So no. No way were they overrated. Not even with 20/20 hind site and all such things.

They were the top band in for a generation with the biggest amount of people, the baby booms, so I think they are a little overrated. Esspetially when they compare themselves to Jesus and stuff. Elvis was probibly bigger for the people in his time than the Beatles were for their, but there were more people around for the beatles.

The Beatles are not overrated especially as musicians and songwriters. As singers Lennon and Ringo were not the best, but the harmonies, lyrics, and melodies of the Beatles were undeniably influential. They provided the possible for so many things. They even elevated rock and roll to legitimacy as far as music critisism is concerned. The thing that impresses me about the Beatles is my Grandmother (90 plus years), parents, myself all can find enjoyment in their music. I think they have faded for kids and teenagers a bit... but, their music is getting on forty years old. Even Mozart, Beethoven, or modern icons like Sinatra, Zeplin, etc. lose their luster and need to be rediscovered eventually by the younger generations. Aack... I'm not part of the youngest/hippest part of the world anymore. I'm so depressed.

And in addition to everything they did with the actual music which was groundbreaking at the time....there were the years of studio recordings in which they help set industry standards for recording through expriementation. The Beatles were artists in every aspect of music from the songs, to the recording of those songs, down to the album art work.

They put a lot into their sound. They were defintely not overrated.

Originally posted by Lachey79

hell no they're not overrated. Want overrated, take the rolling stones.

Agreed. I've never been able to get into the Stones. I've always resented the Beatles vs. Stones argument as to who is better. A better argument would be over the best Beatles album (White Album). And by no stretch are the Beatles overrated.

Modern music (all types from Country to Rock) owes itself to the Beatles. They invented stereo. They invented multi track recordings (with a little help from George Martin).

One little known fact about John and Paul was they did not know how to read sheet music early on. They played, and re-made, music from earlier artists by ear. Simply incredible.

When they released Sgt. Peppers, it changed the course of music througout the world, and in some cases, that album still inspires new artists.

I don't think their music will ever grow old or become outdated. Lennon and McCartney were the most prolific song writers in history. IMHO, they came close, but still did not equal, their writings together in their solo careers. Both had unprecidented solo success, but nothing like their collaberations together. They were like a strange vinegar and oil recipe that mixed very well together.

Originally posted by IAMBG

Ask me this question when I was in High shool and I might have said yes....

I think the most profound thing about the Beatles is the older and more experienced in music you get, as well as exposure to other bands, you hear their influence on everyone and the groundbreaking things they did. They started off as a weak blues rip-off and transgressed into one of the greatest musical machines of all time.

This is what I was going to say. In high school I thought they were seriuosly overrated. Now that I'm older and have a little more perspective I like them a lot more. I don't think any of the credit they've gotten over the years has been undeserved.

Archived