Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The sky might be falling, but not on me…..I like this team

chipwhich

I have been a chicken little for years, but not this year. My sky isn't falling. This is the first time I have felt that way since I can remember.

I am not expecting a Super Bowl this year, and neither should you.

So lets consider the obvious:

We beat the Cowboys the first time we played them last year. That got us oh….6 wins?

This isn't Joe Gibbs football. This isn't get up by a touchdown and run run run and hope to eek out the game. I don't want to play scared. This season to me is a free for all, lets go all in and give this offensive system a go.

The Cowboys weren't exactly stalled on every drive, Kyle Shannahan knew that. He knew a field goal wasn't adequate.

Our running game wasn't working. I guess some of y'all will say bring in Helu..oh wait…maybe Torrain or Evan Royster. Our zone blocking offensive line isn't in gear yet.

Deangello Hall is who he has always been, a high risk, high reward corner who allows big plays.

Our leading receiver is the 25th best in the league in terms of yardage, and he is a tight end. To be a good red zone offense you need a big receiver. Remember everyone you guys wanted to keep on the roster? We kept like 7 of them. Well guess what, we still haven't resolved that issue. You see how Dallas did in the red zone without a big time receiver.

John Beck as our starter is ludicrous. Our solution isn't a quarterback change.

Romo sits to pee is a good Quarterback.

Dallas defensive line is outstanding.

I knew going in it was all about the Dallas defensive line. Guess what, they did their job.

So lets focus in on where we are:

Much improved on defense, but we still don't get enough pressure on the QB.

We still need a big receiver. No QB will resolve this.

Our offensive line needs improved blocking to help with the run and pass.

We still need a franchise QB.

This was all obvious in games 1 and 2.

For the first time in YEARS:

We don't have a scapegoat of a player, a high priced free agent who is underperforming and consistently have leaks out of the locker room of disruption.

I only expect improvement moving forward. So should you. This isn't your fathers Oldsmobile, and it's not the same old Redskins team. We didn't suddenly not show our flaws in game 3, they were apparent in game 1 and 2.

We are rebuilding, and year one of the rebuild looks pretty damn good.

So lets keep everything in perspective.

Remember, if we cut Royster, all these teams in the league would be waiting to scarf him up :ols:

We have so many receivers we can't cut any one of them. :ols: Out of all these great receivers we have, after 3 games only 6 catches by receivers other than Moss and Gaffney. (My premise of why we struggled against Dallas).

Special Teams, lots of threads on this.

Brandon Banks is top 3 on kick and punt returns but we don't credit the coaches on this. The reality is we need TALENT as much as we need COACHING. Our problem isn't more COACHING than TALENT. But it is hard for some to comprehend.

How about we let the team draft talent and build a team that can grow and improve, which is what I think we have done this year.

Lets not try and run everyone out of town.

In conclusion, lets celebrate.

We are who we thought we would be, but better.

Things are looking up.

It's so obvious that what happened in Dallas = Daniel Snyder's fault :silly:.

Funny how you should say that, because normally after a loss like this...someone in the media decides it would be a lot of fun to write something negative about him. You know, to pour it on and get the 106.7 crowd all riled up. :silly:

I haven't seen anything yet.

Funny how you should say that, because normally after a loss like this...someone in the media decides it would be a lot of fun to write something negative about him. You know, to pour it on and get the 106.7 crowd all riled up. :silly:

:ols: I was seriously waiting to see something involving Snyder after the loss but haven't noticed anything as of yet either.

I honestly believe that anyone watching Monday night's game against the Cowboys who did NOT have an emotional investment in seeing the Redskins win, came away more impressed with the Skins than pretty much everyone on this board lol :ols:...

Case in point:

ESPN Power Ranking:

16. Redskins

Despite losing to Dallas, this team is going to be in the mix in the NFC East. Who would've thought that? (Fox)

NFL.com Power Ranking:

14. Redskins

Washington lost, and yet, moved up two spots. First, the failure in Dallas was by the thinnest of margins, as well as being on the road. Second, many of the teams ahead of Washington in the rankings lost handily on Sunday. Mike Shanahan must continue to stick with the ground attack, as it makes the play-action game quite effective. One guy who could be hell-on-wheels downfield on these kinds of plays is deep threat Anthony Armstrong. Unfortunately, Armstrong has been somewhat invisible and exited Monday night with a hamstring injury.

I am looking forward to see how the team responds against the Rams after this loss, but there is no way I see them falling into some "woe is me" funk like so many posters here. There has been marked improvement, obvious change for the better in many places, but as with anything the majority are behind the comprehension curve and only see a loss. Be grateful yet again that Shanny doesn't give a rat's ass what the fans say.

Short term/ Dallas game/ fan perspective? Yeah, disastrous, horrific, yadda yadda yadda..........but in the larger context of the season and the rehabilitation of the franchise this was barely a bump on the road. I saw a LOT of good Monday night. Wilson is an upgrade at CB, Barnes is contributing, the D line is better, OMG the O line is lightyears beyond where we were, the list goes on but unfortunately you have to take your fingers out of your ears and stop that obnoxious "LaLaLa I'mnotlistening I'mnotlistening" before you can comprehend any of it, and that seems too much to ask from some of the fanbase.

LOL, I agree 100%. It seems most people around here have the Skins back. There were a lot of issues with that game and it could've gone either way.

The OP was outstanding, I agree whole-heartidly. If we have more talent we win games like Monday Night. You can't be mad at our team because they literally played as hard as they could've, they just didn't have it. What are you going to do, come on here and bash them for leaving the field on empty? Nope, give them props for a good game played, and let them know we still have their back.

Let's get ready for the Rams and a 3-1 record.

If this team is going to change, we as a fan base need to change with them. Support, do not bash. There are a lot of young kids on this squad. Let's show them how we do it.

HAIL!

It sucks seeing them lose a game that was there for the taking, but big picture you have to like what you see. This organization was so dysfunctional I think it's really amazing what has been accomplished in just 18 months since the new regime took over.

Realistically they are looking a .500 season or slightly better. Anything more this year is gravy IMO.

I honestly believe that anyone watching Monday night's game against the Cowboys who did NOT have an emotional investment in seeing the Redskins win, came away more impressed with the Skins than pretty much everyone on this board lol :ols:...

Case in point:

ESPN Power Ranking:

NFL.com Power Ranking:

Great write up OP and I agree there are indicators that even the above sources are seeing that the team is on the upswing. For those who show patience and resolve it will be a more comfortable journey, for those who don't and want to ride the emotional roller coaster so be it. I am sure when we get there they will quickly say they told us so.

I pretty much agree with everything you posted Chipwhich.

I certainly wanted the win Monday nite but all things considered I'm not bummed out at all. I choose to focus on the positives this team is getting better game by game. The return of Mr. Dirty 30 and his immediate impact on defense. I'm most looking forward to the defense continuing to gel and wreak absolute mayhem and terror. The offense should also continue to improve in all phases. Our team is relatively healthy (knock wood). What more can we realistically expect?

Case in point:

ESPN Power Ranking:

NFL.com Power Ranking:

I agree w/this. My sky isn't falling either for a change :)

Wonderful job, chip!

I've been saying this since the draft: This isn't the year, but this is the first year of a long time of respectability that will end up giving us a few more banners, memories, and hopefully, trophies.

Other teams don't know a lot about this team yet. But one thing they do know, is when they see "Redskins" on their schedule, they are going to be in for a dog fight. There will be nothing easy about a game from OUR team.

As we continue to develop and draft talent, and as both schemes continue to mature, we will only get better.

HAIL!

I've been saying this since the draft: This isn't the year, but this is the first year of a long time of respectability that will end up giving us a few more banners, memories, and hopefully, trophies.

Exactly. And nice write up, chip. I know the Dallas loss hurts, but there are a lot of positives to take away. We are going to be a hell of a tough out every single week we take the field this year.

I truly don't understand why so many people on extremeskins are acting like the sky is falling. I know its a loss to Dallas and thats the worst loss as fans we can have but if you dont see the difference between this team and the teams of the past decade then you need to see and eye doctor. This team is a young hardworking team and Im for the first time in a long time proud of them win or lose just because of the effort i see. Things are finally going in the right direction and I think were gonna compete all season long for a division title and thats exciting cause most people including myseld thought we were a 6-10 t0 8-8 team and we might actually be better than that.

I'm on board with this too.

Over the past few seasons, after watching a Skins game I generally felt disgusted and a bit embarassed for the team. This year has been different so far. Was I bitterly disappointed and incredibly angry on Monday night? Yes!!! Was I disgusted or embarassed? Hell no. In fact I was proud of the determination and resilience the Skins showed - unlike years past mistakes did not snowball into disaster. So far so good. This team has certainly come a long way from the days of Vinny and Zorny.

And for anyone who thinks we're as bad or worse than last year's team, I have two words for you: Casey Rabach.

Archived