Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Main Line Media: NFL Insiders React To McNabb Trade

Burgundy Burner

http://www.mainlinemedianews.com/articles/2010/04/10/main_line_times/sports/doc4bb9eab861aa8723758502.txt

NFL insiders react to McNabb trade

Published: Saturday, April 10, 2010

Here are some of the things being written around the Internet about the Eagles trade of Donovan McNabb to the Washington Redskins:

City Bright Blog, San Francisco Chronicle: The Philadelphia Eagles trading Donovan McNabb to the Washington Redskins is still a head-scratcher as he's in the same division.

But now that Donovan McNabb is gone so soon after the Eagles worked to get Quarterback Michael Vick on the field after Vick's release from prison after his illegal dog fighting work, this blogger has to ask the question:

Was the Philadelphia Eagles effort to get Michael Vick a plan to have a black quarterback on staff then trade Donovan McNabb, who's black, just so no one can say "The Eagles trade of Donovan McNabb was racist; they just didn't want a black star in Philadelphia?" If that was the case, here's betting Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter, who's also black, would stop going to the games, and Philadelphia would be a racially divided town.

As wild as the idea seems, the more I wrap my mind around how the Eagles think and the "cover-up" needed to cleanly pull off a dumb trade like sending Donovan McNabb to the Washington Redskins, the more it is logical that this was their thinking.

Redskins Insider, Washington Post: New Redskins quarterback Donovan McNabb has a reputation of being serious all the time. But McNabb likes to have as much fun as the next guy - as long as the next guy also has a burning desire to win, one of McNabb's former and current teammates said.

"Donovan's not like people think," new Washington lineman Artis Hicks said in a phone interview late Sunday night. "People think he's always [serious], but Donovan likes to have fun, too."

In a phone interview late Sunday night, Hicks, who played alongside McNabb in Philadelphia from 2002-2005, said the Redskins got not a great quarterback and locker room leader in the trade with the Philadelphia Eagles.

Michael Wilbon, Washington Post: The only reservation in Donovan McNabb's voice Sunday night was over finding and talking to Jason Campbell. After all, when things were going rotten for Campbell, when he was being benched and booed, it was McNabb, after an Eagles-Redskins game in Washington, who sought out Campbell to buck him up, tell him he's got the tools to be a fine quarterback in the NFL. The quarterback fraternity is small, and the black quarterback fraternity is even smaller, and McNabb didn't want Campbell to think for one second he'd been lying in the weeds for weeks, waiting to take his job.

Tim Cowlishaw, Dallas Morning News: Donovan McNabb leading fans in a chorus of "Hail To the Redskins" will be as strange a sight to Eagles fans in 2010 as a purple-and-gold clad Brett Favre was to Packers fans last year.

But Washington fans can tap the brakes on the idea of the Redskins playing in an NFC title game as Favre led Minnesota to three months ago.

The big winner Sunday night? For sure, the NFL.

When a premier player changes uniforms, it's money in the bank. Redskins-Eagles just reached a new level of interest. Even Eagles coach Andy Reid, who had nothing but praise for McNabb on Sunday night, said, "Are they a better football team with Donovan? Absolutely. We'll see how things go."

From a Cowboys standpoint, neither division rival involved in the deal gained considerable ground.

USA Today: Longtime Redskins player Brian Mitchell said Sunday night he had spoken to Donovan McNabb and relayed that the new Washington QB was intent on sticking it to his old team in the 2010 season.

Mitchell said he could hear "revenge" in McNabb's voice after the six-time Pro Bowler was dealt from the Philadelphia Eagles to the Redskins, their NFC East rival.

More at the above link.

http://www.mainlinemedianews.com/articles/2010/04/10/main_line_times/sports/doc4bb9eab861aa8723758502.txt

NFL insiders react to McNabb trade

But now that Donovan McNabb is gone so soon after the Eagles worked to get Quarterback Michael Vick on the field after Vick's release from prison after his illegal dog fighting work, this blogger has to ask the question:

Was the Philadelphia Eagles effort to get Michael Vick a plan to have a black quarterback on staff then trade Donovan McNabb, who's black, just so no one can say "The Eagles trade of Donovan McNabb was racist; they just didn't want a black star in Philadelphia?" If that was the case, here's betting Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter, who's also black, would stop going to the games, and Philadelphia would be a racially divided town.

As wild as the idea seems, the more I wrap my mind around how the Eagles think and the "cover-up" needed to cleanly pull off a dumb trade like sending Donovan McNabb to the Washington Redskins, the more it is logical that this was their thinking.

More at the above link.

Haven't heard this twist. I don't buy it. Is this guy really an NFL Insider or is he a blogger in his basement?

Maybe Rush Limbaugh needs to chime in now with his opinion too.

City Bright Blog, San Francisco Chronicle: The Philadelphia Eagles trading Donovan McNabb to the Washington Redskins is still a head-scratcher as he's in the same division.

Haven't heard this twist. I don't buy it. Is this guy really an NFL Insider or is he a blogger in his basement?

Maybe Rush Limbaugh needs to chime in now with his opinion too.

It figures that the San Francisco Chronicle would guess that it's a thing about race. How completely and totally lame, no surprise there from the land of fruits & nuts.
I'm hoping that when my generation takes over and is the dominate voice of the country, everything won't be about race. It's a longshot--given human nature--but I have faith.

In other news, I hate Tim Cowlishaw. Big doofus looking ****er.

I think that is totally off base.

Kindred said it best.

~Bang

Just to show you guys something...I saw this on an Eagles fans message board thread:

image.php?u=44858&type=sigpic&dateline=1270920260

EAGLES FRONT OFFICE

Not saying this represents the average Eagles fan's viewpoint, or why Vick was signed to the team, but something tells me that there will be far more Philly fans claiming "racism" at seeing McNabb sent packing than we realize.

The world we live in today is so sad. Anything, doesn't matter what it is, will be turned into a racial issue by some people. You know, the true racists amoungst us. If a person has to reach and stretch to make their point about racism, then they are infact a racist themselves.

Seriously how does someone get away with writing such nonsense? Having Vick on their roster has seriously hindered their plans on keeping black QBs off their team.

Also, who ever thought that McNabb was serious all the time? The guy is always laughing, cracking jokes, hell he was dancing around playing air guitar before the playoff game last year.

Just to show you guys something...I saw this on an Eagles fans message board thread:

Not saying this represents the average Eagles fan's viewpoint, or why Vick was signed to the team, but something tells me that there will be far more Philly fans claiming "racism" at seeing McNabb sent packing than we realize.

one fan out of how many?

cmon now...you can instigate better than that!

Unfortunately, there still is a big race element at the QB position in football.

DC doesn't have the black population that it used to, but there is still a black majority here and there's no doubt that those people would be proud to see a black QB succeed behind center for the Redskins. And there's nothing wrong with that. But I also think that's part of the reason that Jason Campbell got a pass through a lot of his failures here. It seems that a lot of the same people that were so die hard on Campbell's bandwagon and did not want to see him go are quiet now because they're more satisfied with him being replaced with another black QB than they would be with a white QB with similar credentials to McNabb.

This is the dumbest thing I ever heard in my life! Who the hell cares if the man is green, he's our QB now, just freaking win!

Archived