Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trade for Andre Smith?

DiscoBob

So I realize this is probably a long shot question, but that's what message boards are for right?

With the Bengals and Andre Smith still seemingly far away on a contract, would you be pleased if the Redskins offered next years 1st rounder and a late rounder (5th maybe) for the rights to Andre Smith. You would have to assume that we would be willing to pay him at least the same amount as the Raiders gave to Heyward-Bey 23M Guaranteed / Max of 38M (per year average of 7.6M).

So after what you've seen so far from our OLine, would you make the trade?

I can't recall a situation where this has ever happened? I know that draft picks have been traded, but that was always on draft day, but has it ever happened months after the draft because one team wasn't able to sign a player?

With the Bengals and Andre Smith still seemingly far away on a contract, would you be pleased if the Redskins offered next years 1st rounder and a late rounder (5th maybe) for the rights to Andre Smith.

Well first off, I'd never offer next year's 1st rounder, doing that is almost giving the Benglas equal value (1st round OL who has proven nothing for another 1st round pick and an extra pick) when their the ones stuck up **** creek. So no, I'd never offer the first...maybe next years 2nd and 5th or something like that.

Might as well keep ours for next season's tackle.

I agree with this. The way we completely loaded up on the D-Line and Secondary this year, you'd have to think we're going O-line or Linebacker in the 1st round next year. Or, though I hope this never comes to pass, quarterback.

IDK, there is just something about him i dont like. So i would say no!

Well, it could be the fact that he did something stupid and got held out of Alabama's bowl game. Or the way he showed up to the combine ridiculously out of shape and left early. Or the fact that he still hasn't signed despite the fact that the picks above and below him have, so his range is already determined. Guy sounds like a major headache, another reason the Bengals wouldn't sniff our 1st rounder.

Like Crabtree he wants to be paid more than his draft slot. So far Cincy and SF have not budged. Also, we would simply be picking up their problem, and the big question is what Cincy wants in return for him. I bet a first and at least a second or so. Guy is a tackle, went high in the draft and Cincy would want some compensation for their loss.

Smith appears to have less issues than Crabtree, but he still has issues. Do the skins FO want to pull the trigger and take a chance on a guy? Assuming of course Cincy even decides to deal. That is an interesting question.

Unlike the other crazy purposals in other threads, this one at least has a reasonableness to it even though I would say it will never happen.

Have you been watching Hard Knocks. That guy is going to be a problem in the NFL. He's in terrible shape. He's the next Mike Williams. That being said he's got a valid point with his holdout. If they NFL is going to preech slot system they'd better adheer to both sides of it.

Like Crabtree he wants to be paid more than his draft slot. So far Cincy and SF have not budged. Also, we would simply be picking up their problem, and the big question is what Cincy wants in return for him. I bet a first and at least a second or so. Guy is a tackle, went high in the draft and Cincy would want some compensation for their loss.

Smith appears to have less issues than Crabtree, but he still has issues. Do the skins FO want to pull the trigger and take a chance on a guy? Assuming of course Cincy even decides to deal. That is an interesting question.

Unlike the other crazy purposals in other threads, this one at least has a reasonableness to it even though I would say it will never happen.

You are totally wrong. He is looking for a contract similar to what HeyWard bey recieved (38million). The bengals are offering smith (one pick ahead of Heyward Bey) a package worth 33 million.

The report I heard said the Bengals were low-balling Smith. Offering less than last years pick at the same slot.

With the Bengals and Andre Smith still seemingly far away on a contract, would you be pleased if the Redskins offered next years 1st rounder and a late rounder (5th maybe) for the rights to Andre Smith.

Where in the hell do some of you people get the notion that trades like this are even remotely feasible? It would take two first rounders or a 1st and a 2nd (or 3rd at worst) for a deal like this to happen. Nobody in their right mind would give a top 6 pick for a 1st rounder the following year and a 5th. Well, only Al Davis and Matt Millan might, that's about it.

Per Rotoworld: http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL&filter_teams=CIN

The Bengals' latest offer first-rounder Andre Smith included a base salary $4.5 million less than last year's No. 6 overall Vernon Gholston received.

For added emphasis, No. 7 overall pick Darrius Heyward-Bey received $10.25M more than the Bengals are offering the No. 6 pick. This is simply business as usual for the out-of-touch Bengals, who are genuinely shocked that the young man won't sign for whatever pile of money of they're offering.

I would say no, plus, Snyder will want to keep next year's first rounder just in case Campbell fails this year. I am not trying to make this a Campbell thread, just thought this should be noted since his performance this year ties into the draft picks next year.

NO THANKS! I never liked the guy in the draft to being with. He is lazy and his head is not where it needs to be. That was evident way back at the combine. He is just a waste of money and talent. He is a perfect fit where he is now!

Sounds like he would be better fitted here to me..

The Bengals cannot trade Andre Smith unless they sign him. The deadline for that passed about a week or so ago. They still have the rights to negotiate with him but they cannot trade him. The Bengals are lowballing Smith offering him less than Eugene Monroe got 2 spots behind him and significantly less than DHB got. I think this holdout will last longer then the Crabtree one because Crabtree has no leverage and will sign right before he starts losing game checks, this holdout is because the owner is unwilling to pay anywhere near fair market value for him and could last well into the season.

Where in the hell do some of you people get the notion that trades like this are even remotely feasible? It would take two first rounders or a 1st and a 2nd (or 3rd at worst) for a deal like this to happen. Nobody in their right mind would give a top 6 pick for a 1st rounder the following year and a 5th. Well, only Al Davis and Matt Millan might, that's about it.

As I said (though you weren't referring to me), my suggestion might not be a feasible one, but it's all the Bengals should be offered, from any team. They have no leverage right now, none.

Archived