Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trade for Andre Smith?

DiscoBob

The Bengals cannot trade Andre Smith unless they sign him. The deadline for that passed about a week or so ago. They still have the rights to negotiate with him but they cannot trade him. The Bengals are lowballing Smith offering him less than Eugene Monroe got 2 spots behind him and significantly less than DHB got. I think this holdout will last longer then the Crabtree one because Crabtree has no leverage and will sign right before he starts losing game checks, this holdout is because the owner is unwilling to pay anywhere near fair market value for him and could last well into the season.

Didn't the chargers trade the rights to Eli Manning for Phillip Rivers before either one had signed a contract?

Where in the hell do some of you people get the notion that trades like this are even remotely feasible? It would take two first rounders or a 1st and a 2nd (or 3rd at worst) for a deal like this to happen. Nobody in their right mind would give a top 6 pick for a 1st rounder the following year and a 5th. Well, only Al Davis and Matt Millan might, that's about it.

Of course stuff like this isn't normal, but players sitting out until the regular season begins is not a very common occurance...the "reduction" in value of future picks begins to dwindle as camp passes and the regular season begins. If a player comes in after the 1st or 2nd game, he is a long way away from being ready to play. If you can't count on him for this year, next year will be more like a Rookie year....

To the people that say they don't want the guy. I understand the concerns, but he would make a really good RT, and maybe a good LT with some work. I think Bugel could do alot with the guy....

this would be something nobody in their right mind should consider....but seeing the way our FO works on occasions (giving up draft picks), It wouldn't surprise me. But like someone said earlier, I think Danny and vinny want to hold on to those first two picks next year just in case we have to make a move to get a QB if JC doesn't work out.

Yes, but that was the day of the draft.

The point that I was making is that you can trade the rights to a player, even if there is no contract in place. Assuming there is no "special" clause that allows this on draft day, but not after draft day, then the timing shouldn't matter.

Yes, but that was the day of the draft.

Correct, here is the relevant info

Section 4. Signing of Drafted Rookies:

(a) A drafted player may accept the Required Tender at any time up to and including the Tuesday

following the tenth week of the regular season immediately following the Draft, at 4:00 p.m. New York time . . .

(B) If a Drafted Rookie has not signed a Player Contract during the period from the date of such Draft to

the thirtieth day prior to the first Sunday of the regular season: (i) the Club that drafted the player may not

thereafter trade to another Club either its exclusive negotiating rights to such player or any Player Contract that

it signs with such player for the player’s initial League Year; and (ii) the Club that drafted the player is the only

Club with which the player may sign a Player Contract until the day of the Draft in the subsequent League Year,

at which time such player is eligible to be drafted in the subsequent League Year’s Draft by any Club except the

Club that drafted him in the initial Draft. (After the Tuesday following the tenth week of the regular season, the

player and the Club may only sign a Player Contract for future League Year(s)).

this would be something nobody in their right mind should consider....but seeing the way our FO works on occasions (giving up draft picks), It wouldn't surprise me. But like someone said earlier, I think Danny and vinny want to hold on to those first two picks next year just in case we have to make a move to get a QB if JC doesn't work out.

Exactly... We cant do anything with our first round pick until we have resolved our QB situation.

After all the dirt that has come out on him going back to his collegiate football season you want to bring him here?! Look up the pre-draft threads on this guy and read up on his attitude and personality.

Him holding out was already forecasted by Florio right after he was drafted. Dude just wants to get paid and sit back. It's pretty obvious he's going to bust.

Correct, here is the relevant info

Section 4. Signing of Drafted Rookies:

(a) A drafted player may accept the Required Tender at any time up to and including the Tuesday

following the tenth week of the regular season immediately following the Draft, at 4:00 p.m. New York time . . .

(B) If a Drafted Rookie has not signed a Player Contract during the period from the date of such Draft to

the thirtieth day prior to the first Sunday of the regular season: (i) the Club that drafted the player may not

thereafter trade to another Club either its exclusive negotiating rights to such player or any Player Contract that

it signs with such player for the player’s initial League Year; and (ii) the Club that drafted the player is the only

Club with which the player may sign a Player Contract until the day of the Draft in the subsequent League Year,

at which time such player is eligible to be drafted in the subsequent League Year’s Draft by any Club except the

Club that drafted him in the initial Draft. (After the Tuesday following the tenth week of the regular season, the

player and the Club may only sign a Player Contract for future League Year(s)).

Thanks for the info, so basically, since we are within the 30 days prior to the first Sunday of the season window. They can't trade his rights, and they can't sign and trade him either....

Exactly... We cant do anything with our first round pick until we have resolved our QB situation.
Bingo. Awareness detected on ES board.

I can't stand these egotistical holdouts. But Smith has a point. NFL owners set the price for these guys, and need to stick with the structure they have established. It needs revamping, but that is something the NFLPA and the league need to straighten out, and you can't blame Andre for not wanting to get screwed.

After all the dirt that has come out on him going back to his collegiate football season you want to bring him here?! Look up the pre-draft threads on this guy and read up on his attitude and personality.

Him holding out was already forecasted by Florio right after he was drafted. Dude just wants to get paid and sit back. It's pretty obvious he's going to bust.

this is not like crabtree's case... andre smith is not to blame at all for this hold out. mike brown is a cheap **** and he is offering him 4.5 million LESS than what vernon gholston got last year at the same slot.

yeah, people have a lot of issues with how snyder deals with this franchise, but consider yourself lucky that he is actually willing to spend money unlike mike brown.

Bingo. We will need our first round pick, and possibly another low round pick to draft/aquire a quarterback next year. The O-line will have to be addressed with a couple of high round draft picks to protect our new mega-million dollar quarterback.

So I realize this is probably a long shot question, but that's what message boards are for right?

With the Bengals and Andre Smith still seemingly far away on a contract, would you be pleased if the Redskins offered next years 1st rounder and a late rounder (5th maybe) for the rights to Andre Smith. You would have to assume that we would be willing to pay him at least the same amount as the Raiders gave to Heyward-Bey 23M Guaranteed / Max of 38M (per year average of 7.6M).

So after what you've seen so far from our OLine, would you make the trade?

I can't recall a situation where this has ever happened? I know that draft picks have been traded, but that was always on draft day, but has it ever happened months after the draft because one team wasn't able to sign a player?

I think we need to hold onto our next year's first round pick. We need a QB and we need either Sneed or Bradford. A. Smith would be good, but next years QB crop is too good to not have a chance at.

By the look of our offense-or lack thereof-, a top 10 pick, and a realistic shot of a top QB, looks pretty reasonable.

Archived