Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trade for Andre Smith?

DiscoBob

Next year looks like a great OT year, and unlike this year should have depth/value into the second round and later. Even if we could trade for him, which we couldn't, we wouldn't. Next year's 1st is either going for at OT, Philip Rivers, but hopefully not a 1st rd QB. The last thing we need is to start over AGAIN with the elite defensive talent we have

No! Keynsian economics does not work in the NFL. You cannot just throw money at a problem. WE, of all teams, know that.

hahaha! yet another reason keynesian economics needs to be dismissed as the foolishness that it is. and nothing higher than a 3rd rounder for smith if any deal ever takes place.

He's a left tackle

He wouldn't play LT here in DC, we have that Chris Samuels guy over there. Also ladies and gentleman, there is no trigger to pull. The Bungles can't trade a player that is not even signed.

I personally never heard of such a precedent in the history of rookie holdouts, and there have been quite a few. and to think, I was hoping there was a chance he'd drop to 13, :doh:

I'd jump at that trade if I was the Skins GM (or Owner as is actually the case). That said I believe that there is a deadline for trading drafted players which should be coming up soon. After the season the Bengals could then trade the rights up until the time of the draft (In which case I might still offer the #1 pending our draft position and a physical of Smith).

Correct, here is the relevant info

Section 4. Signing of Drafted Rookies:

(a) A drafted player may accept the Required Tender at any time up to and including the Tuesday

following the tenth week of the regular season immediately following the Draft, at 4:00 p.m. New York time . . .

(B) If a Drafted Rookie has not signed a Player Contract during the period from the date of such Draft to

the thirtieth day prior to the first Sunday of the regular season: (i) the Club that drafted the player may not

thereafter trade to another Club either its exclusive negotiating rights to such player or any Player Contract that

it signs with such player for the player’s initial League Year; and (ii) the Club that drafted the player is the only

Club with which the player may sign a Player Contract until the day of the Draft in the subsequent League Year,

at which time such player is eligible to be drafted in the subsequent League Year’s Draft by any Club except the

Club that drafted him in the initial Draft. (After the Tuesday following the tenth week of the regular season, the

player and the Club may only sign a Player Contract for future League Year(s)).

Not that it will happen (really they couldn't). If he isn't signed by start of free agency would he become a free agent?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived