Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Funniest moment in TV history

Larry

Hey, it's off season. Sue me.

My nominee: Carol Burnett's Gone With the Wind satire.

In the story, Scarlett wants to seduce Rhett Butler, but she doesn't have anything suitable dramatic. Spotting some fancy curtains in her (practically gutted) house, she orders her servant to make her a dress from the curtain's fabric.

The satire of this scene used this costume:

448c29ab396bfcurtains2.jpg

(And the line, when Rhett asked where she got that dress, "Oh, it's something I saw in a window".)

-----

My runner-up is a scene that I haven't seen, but my parents have described, from The Dick Van Dyke Show.

Rob and Laura are having a baby. Laura is in the hospital. Throughout her stay, people keep coming into their room looking for the Peters. (The star's last name is Petrie). Nurses deliver flowers that are addressed to Mrs Peters. They get phone calls for the Peters. All kinds of things.

After the birth, once they've gone home, Rob (Dick van Dyke) slowly comes to the conclusion that the baby doesn't look like him. Or his wife, either. He becomes increasingly convinced that the hospital gave him the wrong baby.

He investigates, and he finds an old newspaper article saying that the same hospital got two babies switched 10 years ago. And there have been other mistakes over the years, too.

All his friends, and Mom, tell him he's wrong. But he's increasingly convinced.

Finally, he looks up Mr Peter's phone number. Calls him. Convinces him, over Mr. Peter's objections, of his theory that the babies have been switched by the hospital. He asks Mr. and Mrs. Peters to come over to his place, with the baby.

When he tells Laura he's done this, she's angry. She's convinced that this is the baby she gave birth to. But Rob tells her that it's too late now, and when she sees the right baby, then she'll know that he was right.

They're still arguing when the doorbell rings.

The Peters are black.

the Carol Burnett show was great, and that skit in paticular was very funny. I always liked anything with Ms. wiggins the dumb secretary in it.

and take heart, only 26 more days untill training camp!

Fraiser - There was an episode where Niles was trying to make dinner for someone (Spaghetti), he ends up cutting his finger and every time he looks at it he starts to pass out, starts a fire somehow, uses the water with the spaghetti to put the fire out, and end up passing out when he looks at his bleeding finger.

In the story, Scarlett wants to seduce Rhett Butler, but she doesn't have anything suitable dramatic. Spotting some fancy curtains in her (practically gutted) house, she orders her servant to make her a dress from the curtain's fabric.

(And the line, when Rhett asked where she got that dress, "Oh, it's something I saw in a window".)

The whole skit

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Wfv7QdLtKo8 Part 1

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0jlhwa_HfXk Part 2 (the window dress part )

Fraiser - There was an episode where Niles was trying to make dinner for someone (Spaghetti), he ends up cutting his finger and every time he looks at it he starts to pass out, starts a fire somehow, uses the water with the spaghetti to put the fire out, and end up passing out when he looks at his bleeding finger.

That was great stuff. Great comedy.

Actually, I really liked the episode when he and Niles bought a restaurant. Great stuff.

(And the line, when Rhett asked where she got that dress, "Oh, it's something I saw in a window".) QUOTE]

I have to agree w/this one...it was one of the funniest things I've ever seen on TV!..I could not stop laughing after this. Another one from this show was that crazy Tim Conway was playing the boss and Carol Burnett was playing his secretary..Miss Wiggins...and the way he said her name cracked me up...and all of the Mama's Family skits were hilarious!:applause:

The episode of Frasier mentioned earlier had me in tears. For me, too many to count. But a few examples would be:

Any one of dozens of skits with Harvey Korman and Tim Conway on the Carol Burnett show, (they used to crack each other up which made things even funnier).

Any one of dozens of skits done by the late,great Red Skelton on his show.

The "Dear Sigmund" episode of MASH for one, (though there were many others).

Pick a moment from the first season of Mork and Mindy.

Ect.....

Any one of dozens of skits with Harvey Korman and Tim Conway on the Carol Burnett show, (they used to crack each other up which made things even funnier).

Those guys were some ad-libbing fools. Here's how I remember one particular scene:

Tim Conway (lying in hospital bed): He shot me with a double-barrelled shotgun!

Harvey Korman (standing): A double-barrelled shotgun? That's terrible!

Conway: Yes, a double-barrelled shotgun! (Ad-libbing now) AAAUUUGGGHHH!

Korman: What? What's the matter?

Conway (pointing at Korman's nose): Is that thing loaded?

Korman can't stop laughing long enough to get his next line out.

Steve Allen's work on the Tonight Show and the Westinghouse show was absolute gold. Too much too list.

Besides Carol Burnett, some of the other funniest moments from the 70's would have to include Foster Brooks on the Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DYusPRre07k

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nqJn-lMgCtc&mode=related&search=

http://youtube.com/watch?v=n8L-ZZSc8JU&mode=related&search=

Another moment that brought me to tears was the Flip Wilson show where the Pips sang "Midnight Train to Georgia" without Gladys Knight. The camera keeps panning to an empty microphone when it was Gladys' turn to sing and nothing. Then you hear the Pips chime in with their part. Great stuff.

Archived