Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Felony charge for father who spanked son with belt

Ghost of

"you can't yell at them in stores." - poor poor dad

That line makes me think this guy is a tool. Parents that have to yell at their children in public tend to be doing a bad job of it. I don't know all the facts in this case but that quote makes me not want to jump to this guys defense.

Having said that though, I really hate this garbage about not hitting kids. Sometimes you kid deserves a good spanking, and I'll go further and say sometimes they need to be smacked across the face to. There is a HUGE difference between striking a child because they've gone way over the line and abuse IMO.

Originally posted by Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin

Chom

Look at my BOLDED section. Instead of getting defensive over your state(hey, I live in Washington, you don't see me getting defensive about the lunacy of King County) why not look at all the parts I thought worth noting.

To me, much of this IS about the ex, but that there's even an investigation when the kid doesn't have injuries and there is clearly an element of vindictiveness (and a betraying son mad at punishment)

However, the State does share SOME blame here, as they are the ones charging him with assault WITH A DEADLY WEAPON.

Remember, in Sweden any spanking is now illegal.

Civilizations just don't change overnight, the change(or decline) is incremental.

Ghost, I don't know about Washington, but in Mass, any type of assault is considered with a "deadly weapon" if anything other then a push was involved. I have seen cases where the person kicked somebody and it is assault with a deadly weapon (a shod foot) I have also seen cases where a purse has been labled a deadly weapon. One old girlfriend got charged with assault with a deadly weapon (a bookbag) because she beat up a girl and hit her with a bookbag.

I think you are looking into the language of the law too much. Anything in Mass is considered deadly, excpet for your hands. If you are a martial arts student, or a boxer your hands can be called a "deadly weapon".

Again, the cops really had their hands tied in this case, and I'll bet the woman knew exactly what she was doing. It is the same thing as violating a restraining order. A woman can call up her husband, tell her she wants to kill herself and if the husband shows up and he has a restraining order on him, he will be automatically thrown in jail.

Nobody is stating that our laws are logical, but that's why we put a lot of faith in judges. We put our trust that they will be able to see thedifference between a frivilous law suit and an actual case.

There are a lot of outlandish laws on the books, every state has them. Now, if the father was actually convicted of a crime it would be a different story, but the judge will no doubt do what needs to be done, if it even gets to a judge. My bet would be that the prosecuting attorney would drop the case real quick and not waste the courts time with frivilous crap like this.

Oh man. I hated the belt. It definately adjusted your attitude.

No worries DKS. If you spank then for willful disobedience when they are very young, they don't require it much at all. My 6 and 7 year olds never get spanked anymore. And I've never used anything other than my hand. Now, my 2 year old is another story. He's at that testing stage and gets his diaper swatted frequently. Once they get out of this stage having learned you are in control, they are very well behaved. Child rearing is very easy if you lose a little sense and establish who's in control at a very early age. I can't image trying to get control back if it is lost, though.

Originally posted by ChocolateCitySkin

Sounds like you're wrong... ;)

Won't be the first time :laugh:

I still don't understand the charge being filed and then the kid is released to the father.....It is either abuse or there is no need for charges....I guess I will never understand YOU PEOPLE ;)

Originally posted by Destino

"you can't yell at them in stores." - poor poor dad

That line makes me think this guy is a tool. Parents that have to yell at their children in public tend to be doing a bad job of it. I don't know all the facts in this case but that quote makes me not want to jump to this guys defense.

Having said that though, I really hate this garbage about not hitting kids. Sometimes you kid deserves a good spanking, and I'll go further and say sometimes they need to be smacked across the face to. There is a HUGE difference between striking a child because they've gone way over the line and abuse IMO.

Dad didn't have to yell at me in public... he would just say in a low menacing voice: "wait till we get home...."

Originally posted by pez

Dad didn't have to yell at me in public... he would just say in a low menacing voice: "wait till we get home...."

My dad used "the look" and "the tone of voice" both of which told you all that needed to be said.

Originally posted by Destino

My dad used "the look" and "the tone of voice" both of which told you all that needed to be said.

With you there Destino. I can count on one hand the number of times my dad had to spank me - the look and tone of voice was all I needed to tuck tail.

My father was another one that used the " tone of voice" to make it known that he wasn't pleased in public.

He also had a piece of Honduran rosewood (arguably the hardest wood on the planet) that he had fashioned into a paddle. This was effectivly called the ROSEWODD SWATTER.

My dad had an eyebrow that he could raise and you'd swear the sucker was loaded. Knew right then and there that life would change for the worse if I were to continue to do whatever foolishness I was doing, ( see the earlier mentioned Hotwheel track).

Personaly I have nearly mastered the LOOK[a gift from my mother,and have rarely needed spankings to raise my kids.

My stepfather on the other hand you avoided,not seen or heard till you knew his mood.

Dear parents,

Don't let this get you down. Don't this let this stop your determination to make us respectable men or women. In all seriousness, once we stop fearing you we will stop respecting you. We will stop respecting your guidence, you compassion, your maturity, everything that we don't need. Taking our cell phones or game cubes won't stop us from doing what we want to do. We have to have sense beat into us or we will respect no one, not even ourselves or our dreams.

Sincerely,

your kids, and your kids' kids who haven't been born yet...

Originally posted by stevenaa

Oh man. I hated the belt. It definately adjusted your attitude.

No worries DKS. If you spank then for willful disobedience when they are very young, they don't require it much at all. My 6 and 7 year olds never get spanked anymore. And I've never used anything other than my hand. Now, my 2 year old is another story. He's at that testing stage and gets his diaper swatted frequently. Once they get out of this stage having learned you are in control, they are very well behaved. Child rearing is very easy if you lose a little sense and establish who's in control at a very early age. I can't image trying to get control back if it is lost, though.

That's the key isn't it? Establishing who's in control at an early age. I'm in the same boat as you stevenaa...I now have a 10, 8 and 6 year old. Honestly, the hard work is done...with regards to discipline that is...I'm sure the teenage years will bring lots of grey hairs :).

After my kids got though that testing stage and realized who the boss was, I have to say it's been pretty easy. I can't remember the last time I had to spank one of them...and if I had discipline the kids now I think it might be something like removing privileges or sending them to their room. I think they get the message now and that would work.

....I help coach my son's Tee-Ball team. There are about 4 or 5 kids on that team that could use a nice whack on the ass to get them in line. I would have never even entertained the thought of talking to my parents like some of these kids do...not even for a nanosecond.

Like PCS said...the lifting of the eyebrow was enough to send shivers down my spine...nevermind dad getting a belt:(

Originally posted by chomerics

Man, you people just don't quit do you. Lets examine this case for what it is, a heated divorce settlement where the petty mother is putting the father's misery before the child's happiness. This is NOT about a "spanking" as you would like to profess, but about an evil and vindictive mother plotting revenge against her ex-husband, and putting her child in the middle of the battle.

If you want to look at the case with a close eye, then examint the mother and her motives, she is the evil one, not the state. The state is just doing their job, there are laws and procedures which the police and DSS need to follow in situations of alleged abuse. They ALWAYS err of the side of caution, this case is no different.

Just so you people know, the Boston Herald is a paper which is bought for its sports section. THe rest of the paper is a right wing propaganda rag out of the washington times MO. Bostonians know this and the herald isn't looked at like a "real" paper, kind of likr the NYtimes vs the NYpost. For example, during the schaivo BS, they had her picture posted everywhere in the paper and used propaganda and lies to promote their radical viewpoint.

procedure in things like this isn't a felony charge. sure, they have to do a follow up on calls like this, an investigation even. but a felony charge IS NOT simple "procedure."

Guest Gichin13
Originally posted by Thiebear

LOL! The 1st time i used the full name I felt like a traitor..

:)

HAAHAAA!

With my wife pregnant, I am just waiting until they all start spilling out of my mouth ...

Please understand that this is not directed at any particular poster here...

But I feel sorry for people who feel that they only way they can create or maintain discipline with their children is to beat them. And I feel more sorry for the children. My parents never beat me, and I never hit my children, and we are all doing fine. There are other parenting skills than pure fear.

Sometimes the old ways are not the best ways. Just my 2 cents.

There's a distinct difference between disciplining your kids by spanking them, and beating them.

I was spanked as a child, and even though most of them were 20 years ago, I remember what I did to get that spanking. And you know what? I didn't do it again.

I didn't throw rocks at the neighbors cars anymore after I got caught. I stopped dropping the F bomb after my mom washed my mouth out with soap (Quite possibly the worst punishment ever)

Both my mom & my dad spanked my brother & I, basically as a punishment because we did something stupid. We didn't get spanked if we talked back to them (We got yelled at, but a verbal argument always remained a verbal agrument). We didn't get hit if we looked at them the wrong way, or any other reason that child abusers use when they beat the S out of their children.

I'm only 27, and I don't have kids yet. But if I do half of the job my parents did on me, I think my kids will turn out just fine.....

Originally posted by Predicto

Please understand that this is not directed at any particular poster here...

But I feel sorry for people who feel that they only way they can create or maintain discipline with their children is to beat them. And I feel more sorry for the children. My parents never beat me, and I never hit my children, and we are all doing fine. There are other parenting skills than pure fear.

Sometimes the old ways are not the best ways. Just my 2 cents.

My only response would be that my parents used switches, belts and hotwheel tracks on their kids. Raised a medical doctor, a published writer and an engineer working on his doctrate along with moi, who is currently working on a legal degree.

Sometimes the old ways ARE the best ways.

Archived