Extremeskins

WP: Study: Risks Remain for Teens Who Pledge Abstinence

Ignatius J.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A47331-2005Mar18.html

Study: Risks Remain for Teens Who Pledge Abstinence

By Ceci Connolly

Washington Post Staff Writer

Friday, March 18, 2005; 8:05 PM

Teenagers who take virginity pledges -- public declarations to abstain from sex -- are almost as likely to be infected with a sexually transmitted disease as those who never made the pledge, an eight-year study released yesterday found.

So there are plusses and minuses to these programs.

The part that concerns me the most is at the end $206 million for abstinence only education? It cost $206 million to make sure teachers teach less than they could be about how to stay safe and not pregnant?

A eighteen year old ,7 years later?......I believe teaching abstinece helps in early teenage years in that it helps remove peer pressure while they mature mentaly. But can you realistically expect a 20- something year old not to fool around?

Originally posted by bearrock

Defining abstinence as only abstaining from vaginal sex but not other genital contact is obviously flawed.

Clearly, although I'm not sure whoever defined it thought those pledging abstinence would lack any sense whatsoever.

This to me smacks of a study that had an agenda from the outset. You can ALWAYS find one study or another that will dispute a given principle. If you didn't then researchers wouldn't have jobs because all they would be doing is agreeing with the status quo. You have to be controversial to get ink in the press.

For the record, abstinence from sexual behavior holds a 0 percent risk of the person getting a sexually transmitted disease. It's a 100 percent effective way here. And my daughter will know .

Good luck Art. You have many tough years ahead of you. Enjoy the early, non-pressure years.

Originally posted by Art

For the record, abstinence from sexual behavior holds a 0 percent risk of the person getting a sexually transmitted disease. It's a 100 percent effective way here. And my daughter will know :).

Very true, as long as that's understood to be any contact with the genitals, not just direct male/female intercourse. Also, if I'm not mistaken, it is possible to be carrying STDs without having had intercourse, so it's a good idea to get tested anyway, for the safety of others.

I have two teenagers that I have taught abstinece combined with safe sex and it's shortcomings. So far it has worked well.

Much like telling them not to drink,but if they do DON"T drive. seems like a mixed message but if the kids think they understand. If nothing else it delays sex untill they are more mature :2cents:

Abstinence is a wonderful option if you have someone who is TRULY comitted to that lifestyle, however study after study after study shows that signing your name to a Abstinence promise sheet, has little to no effect on what you will end up doing in life. It is a much bigger decision then a sex ed class, or a lecture from a parent.

Originally posted by NoCalMike

however study after study after study shows that signing your name to a Abstinence promise sheet, has little to no effect on what you will end up doing in life.

I disagree, there's 13% who will be well versed in the sphincter gratification area.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Maybe it's me, and I don't mean to sound callous to others, espcially with those who have teenage kids, but I thought this article was pretty funny.

Originally posted by codeorama

Show of hands.... How many of you were virgins until you were married??

Come on die hard conservatives, don't let me down, you didn't have sex did you?

Code, you know the rules.. your liberal till your at least 18..

Then by 30 you change due to life exp...

I heard throat ghonneria(sp) is apparent up...

sorry for the spelling but i gotta go do bubbles... (not michaels monkey)

Originally posted by Thiebear

Code, you know the rules.. your liberal till your at least 18..

Then by 30 you change due to life exp...

I heard throat ghonneria(sp) is apparent up...

sorry for the spelling but i gotta go do bubbles... (not michaels monkey)

:laugh: :laugh:

Archived