Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redheads are Neanderthals ?

tex

Originally posted by Riggotoni

And yet despite its apparent neanderthal lineage, 18th and 19th century Scotland essentially invented our modern world. The greatest engineers were Scottish, as was the father of Modern Economics, the creators of Encyclopedia Brittanica, and the Enlightenment figures upon whose ideas our own government was founded.

I have freckles. I am a Neanderthal. And I am proud.

• 7 years later...

Redheads feel a different pain

http://sciencenordic.com/redheads-feel-different-pain

Genetic clues

Research into the way redheads react to various substances and stimuli has produced a catalogue of differences that defies easy explanation.

They are more affected by some things and less by others.

This has led scientists to theorise that the cause of these differences is likely to be something fundamental: redheads may possess a 'redhead' gene.

Research in mice has shown that female mice with genes similar to redheaded people are easier to treat successfully with certain drugs.

Facts

It is estimated that 2 percent of the world's population is redheaded. In the northern hemisphere the figure is 6 percent and in Scotland 13 percent.

The focus of the animal studies was the receptor gene MC1R, which is responsible for producing the brown skin pigment melanin; redheads have a variant of this gene which does not produce melanin.

The question is whether there are other consequences, since there are indications that the gene is associated with the central nervous system.

"It seems that MCR1 is involved in central functions in the brain, and we know that subgroups like MC2R, MC3R and MC4R, which are also linked to redheads, have considerable involvement in brain functions. This could be the key to explaining why redheads are a little different to other people," says Arendt-Nielsen.

All Non-Africans Part Neanderthal, Genetics Confirm

http://news.discovery.com/human/genetics-neanderthal-110718.html

If your heritage is non-African, you are part Neanderthal, according to a new study in the July issue of Molecular Biology and Evolution. Discovery News has been reporting on human/Neanderthal interbreeding for some time now, so this latest research confirms earlier findings.

Damian Labuda of the University of Montreal's Department of Pediatrics and the CHU Sainte-Justine Research Center conducted the study with his colleagues. They determined some of the human X chromosome originates from Neanderthals, but only in people of non-African heritage.

"This confirms recent findings suggesting that the two populations interbred," Labuda was quoted as saying in a press release. His team believes most, if not all, of the interbreeding took place in the Middle East, while modern humans were migrating out of Africa and spreading to other regions.

I can definitely attest to being more sensitive to cold.. I hate it with a passion,, if my ankles get cold, I am done for the day.

I also find it to be true about feeling less stinging pain, because I'm able to ignore a lot of things that hurt. Jabs, smacks, cuts, burns, especially to my hands.. i can stick my hand in a fire and pull something out if i need to... hell i've been hit with bottles, a pipe. ..I don't bruise easily, and I've been hit with a lot of things. I can't count the number of times someone is bleeding from something or other, oh, and it's me,, sorry.. didn't notice that cut.

In my rough and tumble days I really didn't care if I got hit in a fight, it really didn't hurt that much. I typically would just bullrush in to situations like that. I got jumped and had my jaw broken once.. (the only bone other than toes I have ever broken. I've broken four of my lesser toes.) My jaw snapped in two spots .. just below my ear and split right between my teeth on down to the chin in front. In high school I got suckered on the side of my head from the back and it knocked me silly, but there wasn't really that much pain. It hurt, but mostly it felt like pressure causing something to be out of whack.., and my ear was ringing from the blow. I definitely knew it was messed up right away, my mouth bled like a fountain.. but I stayed standing and spun (stumbled) around to fight.. (I'd have been useless.. I was all but out on my feet. Luckily they took off and ran.)

even afterwards.. i was in the nurse's office and she grabbed my chin and jiggled it around like an idiot,, it sounded like broken glass, but the pain was not THAT bad.

I don't like scrapes, though. Or pinches. But I suspect that's pretty much universal.

~Bang

Archived