Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Redskins Playoff Picture:

Assuming Tampa goes on to win against the Saints (and seeing as how the teams we wanted to win can't even kick fieldgoals OR extra points today), and the Rams go on to lose to Arizona....is the "best case scenario" after this week going to be:

Skins win against Dallas...

Eagles win against St. Louis...

Bengals win againt New York...

...and the rest is irrelevant??

Either Tampa or Carolina will lose next week since they play each other...and While a Seattle loss would be nice, it would no longer be necessary.

So, the last week of the season, The Skins would need to:

1) Beat Minnesota...

2) Have the winner of the Tampa-Carolina game lose...

And that's it, right??...Or am I wrong??

NOTE: If you are anti-playoff, stay out of my thread and go to an NFL forum instead to be "realistic".

Well, there's still one more game left on Monday Night Football, but it's the Patriots and the Dolphins, and neither team has any bearing on us. After the Redskins lost to the Eagles last week, I thought we'd be out of the playoff picture, but amazing things keep happening.

Here is how the NFC playoff picture looks.

Division Leaders

Philadelphia Eagles* (13-1)

Green Bay Packers* (8-6)

Atlanta Falcons* (11-3)

Seattle Seahawks (7-7)

Wildcard

Minnesota Vikings (8-6)

St. Louis Rams (6-8)

Teams Ahead of Us

Carolina Panthers (6-8)

New Orleans Saints (6-8)

New York Giants (5-9)

* Clinched playoff berth.

With Detroit's screw-up at the end of the game against the Vikings, we can only take the last wildcard spot now. Believe it or not, three teams are ahead of us by one game and only the Giants have the tiebreaker on us!

Provided we win out the rest of the season, relevant games next week and the results needed are:

• Arizona Cardinals vs Seattle Seahawks - May or may not have relevance. Cardinals need to win.
    Atlanta Falcons vs New Orleans Saints - Falcons need to win.
    New York Giants vs Cincinnati Bengals - Bengals need to win.
    Carolina Panthers vs Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Buccaneers need to win.
    Philadelphia Eagles vs St. Louis Rams - Eagles need to win.
    Washington Redskins vs Dallas Cowboys - Obvious.

If all of these things happen, guess what.. We will hold the last spot for the playoffs!

Next week's schedule looks pretty good for us but there could be some unwanted upsets.. The most crucial game is probably the Buccaneers having to beat the Panthers. Now, if for whatever reason, something doesn't go according to plan, then the final week comes down to this:

• Atlanta Falcons vs Seattle Seahawks
    Carolina Panthers vs New Orleans Saints
    New York Jets vs St Louis Rams
    Dallas Cowboys vs New York Giants
    Minnesota Vikings vs Washington Redskins

Imagine how much of a better situation we would've been in with one more win against almost anybody (Giants, Browns, Cowboys, Ravens, Packers, Eagles). :doh:

Resources:

http://www.nfl.com/standings

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakers

After the end of the Bucs-Saints game, our playoff picture is clear. Here are the ways we can make the playoffs:

1. The Redskins must win out:

The Redskins beat the Cowboys in Week 16 AND

The Redskins beat the Vikings in Week 17

2. AND The Giants must lose a game:

The Giants lose to the Bengals in Week 16 OR the Giants lose to the Cowboys in Week 17

3. AND The NFC South needs to beat each other up:

The Saints lose to the Falcons in Week 16 AND

The Panthers lose to the Bucs in Week 16

OR

The Saints lose to the Falcons in Week 16 AND

The Saints beat the Panthers in Week 17

OR

The Panthers lose to the Bucs in Week 16 AND

The Panthers beat the Saints in Week 17

4. AND Either the Rams or Seahawks have to choke:

The Rams lose to the Eagles in Week 16

OR

The Seahawks lose to the Cardinals in Week 16 AND

The Seahawks lose to the Falcons in Week 17

That's it - hold on for the ride...

If the Saints beat the Falcons AND the Panthers beat the Bucs next week, we will be eliminated from the playoffs. If the Rams beat the Eagles AND the Seahawks beat the Cardinals, we're also eliminated from the playoffs. We're also of course eliminated if we lose to Dallas.

If the Giants lose to the Bengals, the Saints lose to the Falcons, the Panthers lose to the Bucs, the Rams lose to the Eagles, AND we beat the Cowboys, we will control our own destiny in the game against the Vikings.

:gaintsuck: :saintsuck :panthersu :ramsuck: :seahawksu

Oh, and of course

:dallasuck :vikesuck:

Originally posted by DjTj

If the Giants lose to the Bengals, the Saints lose to the Falcons, the Panthers lose to the Bucs, and the Rams lose to the Eagles, we will control our own destiny in the game against the Vikings.

dude, there's a pretty good chance all those things happen!!!

I think this breaks down this whole playoff picture, though someone can correct me if something's inaccurate

Here's what we need in next week's games

1) BEAT DALLAS

2) CAROLINA LOSES TO TAMPA BAY

3) ST. LOUIS LOSES TO PHILADELPHIA

4) NEW ORLEANS LOSES TO ATLANTA

5) GIANTS LOSE TO CINCINNATI

According to my calculations, if these five wins occur,

THEN GOING INTO THE FINAL WEEK,

we control our own destiny, since A WIN AGAINST MINNESOTA would lock us into the final playoff spot

WOO HOO!~

:dallasuck :gaintsuck

WOULD HAVE SAID :eaglesuck TOO, but we actually want them to win next week

Originally posted by mad4comp

ahhaha.. THX for the jinx tho :)

:laugh:...What's wild is, earlier I made a post that said practically the same thing when the Vikings were up on the Lions...next thing I knew, the Lions were only an extra point away from tying it 28-28...so I posted again, and said "Nevermind..lol :D "...only to see the Lions MISS the extra point. So this time, I kept my mouth shut..lol ;)

Originally posted by illone

You guys are looking past Dallas as if they haven't beat us 24 out of 25 games:doh:

Let's beat Dallas first... If we can beat Dallas then we head home to play Minnesota, a game that I will be at none the less!

It will take our very best game to break the curse.

I think this might be the team to do it though.:cheers:

Anyway, that's what I'm praying for.:notworthy

Let's just win our games,

The fact that WE and Carolina and even the Cardnials are still in it is insane itself. I mean, we're 5-9, the Cards lost both games to the WORST team in the NFL (or at least top three worst) and Carolina (with no Davis, Smith, Foster, Jenkins et al) is still a serious contender.

If we can go 7-9 after a dreadful year I'll be impressed.

The Bad News...

We've yet to win 2 games or more this year, we struggle (always lately) with Dallas and Minnesota is no push over by any means.

The Good News....

Our team has nothing to lose (other than their jobs if they play lousy).

This team and the fans are playing (and cheering) at a high level despite the record....the exact opposite of what happened last year despite similar records.

Originally posted by illone

You guys are looking past Dallas as if they haven't beat us 24 out of 25 games:doh:

Let's beat Dallas first... If we can beat Dallas then we head home to play Minnesota, a game that I will be at none the less!

Nobody is looking past Dallas, we're simply entertaining scenarios under which us winning the last two games WOULD put us in the playoffs.

I think everybody understands perfectly well that we will have to beat the Cowboys first.

Originally posted by RF4L

It will take our very best game to break the curse.

I think this might be the team to do it though.:cheers:

Anyway, that's what I'm praying for.:notworthy

The boys ALWAYS worry me because they could completely SUCK yet still manage to play against us like it is the Superbowl.... Especially right now with Parcells vs. Gibbs.

Just sayin to not look past the cowboys... this next game is not going to be a picnic for us and it may even come down to Ramsey being forced to win the game on the final drive:doh:

Here's to Portis getting 125 yards:cheers:

Originally posted by laurent

Nobody is looking past Dallas, we're simply entertaining scenarios under which us winning the last two games WOULD put us in the playoffs.

I think everybody understands perfectly well that we will have to beat the Cowboys first.

No worries, just seems like alot of posters are talking as if we had already won the game...

Just keeping things in perspective is all..

Alright heres what we want to happen next week guys:

Atl beat N.O.

TB beat Car.

Cinci beat NYG(although i thought we had tiebreaker against NYG)

Philli beat St.Louis

Wash. beat Dallas

Correct me if Im wrong but I think wed have the last spot if this happens next week.(tied with panthers and rams but i think we have tiebreakers). After the way things went this weekend guys, I really think this can happen. Honestly I think the toughest thing to occur is US winning, given the current history against Dallas. Many I am Hyped.

Here's how it would have to go down...

Here are the records now with the conference record in parenthesis (which is the tiebreaker):

St. Louis 6-8 (6-5)

Carolina 6-8 (5-5)

New Orleans 6-8 (5-6)

Washington 5-9 (5-5)

We currently lead the 5-9 teams with our 5-5 conference record. For all things to work out, St. Louis would have to lose to Philly, Carolina would have to lose at Tampa, and New Orleans would have to lose against Atlanta.

We, of course, have to beat Dallas.

If that scenario works out...

Washington 6-9 (6-5)

St. Louis 6-9 (6-6)

Carolina 6-9 (5-6)

New Orleans 6-9 (5-6)

That would make us CLINCH with a win because St. Louis is playing out of the conference. New Orleans plays Carolina week 17, so a win would be necessary.

Washington 7-9 (7-5)

St. Louis 7-9 (6-6) -- if they win @NYJ, doesn't matter either way

Carolina 7-9 (6-6)

New Orleans 6-10 (5-7)

Oh yeah, and a Giants loss against Cinci or Dallas.

Archived