Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Redskins Playoff Picture:

Maybe this is Karma finally paying us our due. I mean, we were robbed so many times this year and this would even it all out. I know starting with the loss to the Steelers we though our season was over. And then when we lost to the Eagles we really thought it was over. Now, there is still something to play for. I remember telling my wife how disappointed I was because it has been so long since the Redskins played a meaningful late December game. Perhaps I spoke too soon.

Man I've got my :fingersx: .....

I just hope we can take care of business against Dallas...We have alot against us going into that game, namely the fact that they have beaten us 24 of 25 times + the officials always job us against the pukes...

I would love to see us in the playoffs b/c that's when Gibbs type of ball is at it's finest....

I've got that glimmer in my eye again. We're going into a Dallas week where we MUST WIN and I am once again emotionally invested in beating those SOB's. Our past shouldn't allow me to hope, yet I do. Two wins and the playoffs are 50/50. Dallas will be up for this game too and they have owned us, but I don't see them beating us this time. We'll be 6-9. After that we'll know a lot more about where we stand.

and anyone else wish we had pulled Brunell a few weeks earlier so we wouldn't be just now finally starting to be a decent offense? The NFC is so weak this year that it is a travesty to be on the outside looking in on the playoffs. I mean 8-8 locks up the playoffs. Are you kidding me?!?!

Originally posted by footballhenry

umm...were not last...all these football sites are wrong and it makes me mad...i believe it should look like this:

6 Carolina (Wild Card) 6-8

New Orleans 6-8

St. Louis 6-8

N.Y. Giants 5-9

Dallas 5-9

Washington 5-9

Tampa Bay 5-9

Detroit 5-9

Chicago 5-9

Arizona 5-9

Unfortunately, because of how the tie breakers work, we are indeed last....we would be eliminated by teams in our own division before we'd be able to go up against any teams from other divisions...and since New York and Dallas both (as of right now anyway) hold the tie breakers over us, we'd be eliminated before we'd be able to use tie breakers with Tampa, Detroit or Chicago...

Originally posted by Califan007

Unfortunately, because of how the tie breakers work, we are indeed last....we would be eliminated by teams in our own division before we'd be able to go up against any teams from other divisions...and since New York and Dallas both (as of right now anyway) hold the tie breakers over us, we'd be eliminated before we'd be able to use tie breakers with Tampa, Detroit or Chicago...

Exactly, but a win over Dallas and a NYG loss and then we shoot way up over everyone.

Originally posted by project myu

NOTE: If you are anti-playoff, stay out of my thread and go to an NFL forum instead to be "realistic".

Well, there's still one more game left on Monday Night Football, but it's the Patriots and the Dolphins, and neither team has any bearing on us. After the Redskins lost to the Eagles last week, I thought we'd be out of the playoff picture, but amazing things keep happening.

Here is how the NFC playoff picture looks.

Division Leaders

Philadelphia Eagles* (13-1)

Green Bay Packers* (8-6)

Atlanta Falcons* (11-3)

Seattle Seahawks (7-7)

Wildcard

Minnesota Vikings (8-6)

St. Louis Rams (6-8)

Teams Ahead of Us

Carolina Panthers (6-8)

New Orleans Saints (6-8)

New York Giants (5-9)

* Clinched playoff berth.

Imagine if Brunell wasn't on our team this year.

With Detroit's screw-up at the end of the game against the Vikings, we can only take the last wildcard spot now. Believe it or not, three teams are ahead of us by one game and only the Giants have the tiebreaker on us!

Provided we win out the rest of the season, relevant games next week and the results needed are:

• Arizona Cardinals vs Seattle Seahawks - May or may not have relevance. Cardinals need to win.
    Atlanta Falcons vs New Orleans Saints - Falcons need to win.
    New York Giants vs Cincinnati Bengals - Bengals need to win.
    Carolina Panthers vs Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Buccaneers need to win.
    Philadelphia Eagles vs St. Louis Rams - Eagles need to win.
    Washington Redskins vs Dallas Cowboys - Obvious.

If all of these things happen, guess what.. We will hold the last spot for the playoffs!

Next week's schedule looks pretty good for us but there could be some unwanted upsets.. The most crucial game is probably the Buccaneers having to beat the Panthers. Now, if for whatever reason, something doesn't go according to plan, then the final week comes down to this:

• Atlanta Falcons vs Seattle Seahawks
    Carolina Panthers vs New Orleans Saints
    New York Jets vs St Louis Rams
    Dallas Cowboys vs New York Giants
    Minnesota Vikings vs Washington Redskins

Imagine how much of a better situation we would've been in with one more win against almost anybody (Giants, Browns, Cowboys, Ravens, Packers, Eagles). :doh:

Resources:

http://www.nfl.com/standings

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakers

Originally posted by GrimReefa

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if we beat Dallas don't we scuttle past NYG by virtue of having the same division record and a better conference record, whether NYG wins or loses?

If we win out and the Giants win out then the Giants are 3-3 in the division and we'd be 2-4. The Giants beat us and will have beaten Dallas twice. We'd have beaten the Giants and Dallas.

The Giants have to lose one of their final two games which is almost a certainty.

Originally posted by PCRoughrider

We're not "last". If we win out, there are four teams that can keep us out of the playoffs, Carolina, St. Louis, New Orleans and the Giants.

These are bad teams.

The more likely scenario is that we won't win out rather than one of those four teams winning their way in.

We're last as of today, though...which is what those listings show...they aren't listing the teams with the best chances of making it, they list the standings if the playoffs started today. And in that context, the Skins are indeed last.

What scares me is this:

We really hold our fate in our own hands. And, even though most of the games I'm referencing happened under different regimes, it's hard for me to recall a BIG game that we've won.

This Dallas game becomes a must-win game and I'm a little concerned with how we'll play.

I realize that we can win out and still miss the playoffs...but I think the biggest obstacle is winning out.

Carolina is the key. Of all the teams still in it they are the best team overall (imo).

The hope for the Skins is that Tampa doesn't fold the tent next week. The Tampa/Carolina rivalry has been pretty heated over the past couple of years with Carolina getting the best of the Bucs. Hopefully that alone will motivate Tampa. If not then even if we win out I don't think we get in because New Orleans will not beat Carolina in the final week at Bank of America Stadium.

Archived