Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Redskins Playoff Picture:

even if we don't get to the playoffs we absolutely have to beat Dallas next week, if we don't get in we can still be known as the team that officially ended any chance by the Cowboys to make the playoffs...and that my friends is no small beans

Originally posted by TODD

Here's how it would have to go down...

Here are the records now with the conference record in parenthesis (which is the tiebreaker):

St. Louis 6-8 (6-5)

Carolina 6-8 (5-5)

New Orleans 6-8 (5-6)

Washington 5-9 (5-5)

We currently lead the 5-9 teams with our 5-5 conference record. For all things to work out, St. Louis would have to lose to Philly, Carolina would have to lose at Tampa, and New Orleans would have to lose against Atlanta.

We, of course, have to beat Dallas.

If that scenario works out...

Washington 6-9 (6-5)

St. Louis 6-9 (6-6)

Carolina 6-9 (5-6)

New Orleans 6-9 (5-6)

That would make us CLINCH with a win because St. Louis is playing out of the conference. New Orleans plays Carolina week 17, so a win would be necessary.

Washington 7-9 (7-5)

St. Louis 7-9 (6-6) -- if they win @NYJ, doesn't matter either way

Carolina 7-9 (6-6)

New Orleans 6-10 (5-7)

You forgot about the team everyone forgets about...the Giants. They're still ahead of the Skins in tiebreakers...so they need to lose to either Cincinatti or Dallas...

If we win our games it's getting awfully close to pretty realistic to think we might make it in. We need to convince the players they are as close as they are. We need to get a media member somewhere to write the story so they know it's possible.

We're close enough now even Harriet might have to believe :).

Here's what's working in our favor.

The Giants don't own the tiebreakers against many teams in a 7-9 tie with teams as we do. So, their chances are LESS than ours and they may not believe it as much as we can. But, if they win two, they knock us out, even though they probably can't make it in. More would have to happen for them to get there than for us.

Also, if Minnesota wins next week they win the division. It means they have NO reason to play hard against us the final week. Especially if they know we might be returning to Minnesota for the first round of the playoffs.

Man. It's worth dreaming about again :).

Yes, that is absolutely correct. If those results go our way then we will own our own destiny going into the final week.

We need the Giants to lose because we would lose the tie break to them due to divisional records.

A Seattle loss to the Cardinals would also give us hope in Week 17 if the Rams beat the Eagles next week.

WOW! We are CLOSE!!!

Originally posted by buzzlightbeer81

eveidently Im the only one who doesnt care.

We dont deserve to be there this year, and frankly Id rather us miss the playoffs, go home and work out all the kinks and come back strong next year with a real shot at doing something big in year 2. Just me

Oh, I don't know... I think I'd rather be the first 7-9 team to win the Super Bowl.

:point2sky

We dont deserve to be there this year, and frankly Id rather us miss the playoffs, go home and work out all the kinks and come back strong next year with a real shot at doing something big in year 2. Just me

If we make it, Buzz, we deserve it.

More than that though, if we make it on a 4-1 run where the loss was a game we controlled against Philly, you can make a legitimate argument we might be the third best team in the playoffs from the NFC. Same for the Saints if they make it.

If we get in, it wouldn't be a tremendous surprise to see us make a little noise.

Originally posted by TheDane

Oh, I don't know... I think I'd rather be the first 7-9 team to win the Super Bowl.

:point2sky

Nah. They wouldn't deserve it. Man. Who would have thought? Well, hope springs eternal, ( painful cliche alert), and this is just wild. Man. :whew:

Ok Dane, time to use some type of miracle gro on the lawn so you can keep mowing it. ;)

Why can't the Skins "go home, work out all the kinks and come back strong next year" and STILL make the playoffs?...They're not mutually exclusive, you know.

Originally posted by Art

If we make it, Buzz, we deserve it.

More than that though, if we make it on a 4-1 run where the loss was a game we controlled against Philly, you can make a legitimate argument we might be the third best team in the playoffs from the NFC. Same for the Saints if they make it.

If we get in, it wouldn't be a tremendous surprise to see us make a little noise.

One thing is for sure... IF we manage to squeak in, I can promise you that other teams won't look forward to facing us.

:cool:

Originally posted by footballhenry

Alright heres what we want to happen next week guys:

Atl beat N.O.

TB beat Car.

Cinci beat NYG(although i thought we had tiebreaker against NYG)

Philli beat St.Louis

Wash. beat Dallas

Correct me if Im wrong but I think wed have the last spot if this happens next week.(tied with panthers and rams but i think we have tiebreakers). After the way things went this weekend guys, I really think this can happen. Honestly I think the toughest thing to occur is US winning, given the current history against Dallas. Many I am Hyped.

I just figured that up myself.

WAS over DAL

SEA over ARZ

PHI over STL

TB over CAR

ATL over NO

CHI over DET

CIN over NYG

ARZ, DAL, DET, and NYG would all have 10 losses and be mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

We would be in a 6 way tie at 6-9, but with the best conference record at 6-5. STL would have a 6-6 record, CAR/CHI/TB would be at 5-6, and NO would be at 4-7.

I think I'm bleeding from both ears now...

Archived