Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Commanders Jayden Daniels QB LSU

PCS

Best way to evaluate a QB is after 17 games of data. This is the stance I have always lived by. I said the same for Howell last year as well. Hell even said the same for TH - but that could have been done in 6 games instead lol But again the stance is still 17 games. This is the only proper way in my book. 

JD5 is learning. Kliff is also learning (hopefully). I want to see improvements. The wow factor is just that. Short lived. Long term wow will define the franchise and the identity they are trying to seek with JD5. I usually don't agree with @mistertim but I see his point. Sure it is okay to be excited but that shouldn't prevent one from being evenkill. Will see how we look after 17 games though. But in the event we get to a wild-card spot that would be really good/cool too. :) 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, bwattsup said:

I know this is a really late ask, but can anyone point me to a good article on the whole Top Golf debacle? I was in Vegas seeing Phish at the Sphere that week, and came home to the biggest case of “wook flu” after partying a little too hard. When I see you guys mentioning it, I’m always a little lost to exactly what took place then. 

Google this: jayden daniels topgolf or drake maye topgolf. Have fun reading. :) 

58 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Hate is a strong word.

But you clearly are the most Debbie downer, rain on the parade poster regarding Jayden and have been ever since we drafted him.  I mean you refer to folks absorbing and repeating the positives as kool-aid drinkers.  You felt compelled to respond to some rando tweet that said Jayden was the best, which is clearly an outlier position that nobody on this site, of even his most passionate supporters have ever suggested.

It’s pretty easy to gather that you simply don’t expect his game to translate to the NFL, will likely get injured, etc.  All of your posts about his game are yeah, buts.  Which is fine and not unreasonable.  All I am saying is just own it.

He's a rookie. Pretty much everything is going to be up and down and "yeah, but". And I've said positive things about him plenty of times. I've mentioned when he's played well, and mentioned things I'd like to see him improve on and that concern me. And yes, many of those are throwbacks to his college game, which doesn't make them unreasonable concerns in and of themselves.

And there are plenty of people who post lots of kool-aid type posts and I rarely even respond. But whenever I do, I'm suddenly "Debbie Downer" because I voice concerns (usually while simultaneously agreeing that he's doing some things very well).

Just feels like a double standard. It's absolutely fine and awesome for people to go wild and gush about him and how he's definitely the future and our franchise QB (after 2 games), but when I respond with something more measured or with some qualifiers, its not ok and I'm a Debbie Downer and I need to just admit it that's what I am and that I don't expect him to succeed. 

16 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Best way to evaluate a QB is after 17 games of data. This is the stance I have always lived by. I said the same for Howell last year as well. Hell even said the same for TH - but that could have been done in 6 games instead lol But again the stance is still 17 games. This is the only proper way in my book. 

JD5 is learning. Kliff is also learning (hopefully). I want to see improvements. The wow factor is just that. Short lived. Long term wow will define the franchise and the identity they are trying to seek with JD5. I usually don't agree with @mistertim but I see his point. Sure it is okay to be excited but that shouldn't prevent one from being evenkill. Will see how we look after 17 games though. But in the event we get to a wild-card spot that would be really good/cool too. :) 

God I'm so sick of you stupid Debbie Downers. How dare you suggest a wait and see approach.

:ols: 

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

To me the thing that stands out is what he isn't doing. He isn't making dumb decisions or missing open guys. He is making the easy throws routinely, which a lot of young quarterbacks can't do. 

26 carries and 53 passes without a turnover is definitely encouraging. He aint Will Levis. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

Perhaps, I just have selective reading skills but I don’t see a whole lot of JD kool-aid posts.  He has one or two very ardent supporters.  I do see a lot of positive posts but not proclaiming that he’s arrived, is the best, top ten or whatever.  

I have no idea how he pans out and can only comment on what we’ve seen thus far.  Based on what he’s put on tape thus far, being hopeful, excited with praise when consideirng all the factors seems more sensible than skepticism and yeah buts. To each their own.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Man. This is like asking what happened in 'Nam.

😂 Trust me, it feels like being in a jungle to understand what really happened. 

31 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Google this: jayden daniels topgolf or drake maye topgolf. Have fun reading. :) 

10-4. I tried it before, but will give it another go to see if I can make sense of it all. lol 

• Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

Former Washington head coach Jay Gruden likes what he sees from Daniels. It's only early, but his ability to protect the football, make smart choices, and the zone-read threat he brings to the table are traits that should ensure he can continue his rise to potential superstardom.

"As long as he’s protecting the ball, I know everybody wants to see touchdowns in the red zone, they’ll come, but just make sure we at least get points to keep the game close and try to win at the end like they did. You could see one of the times it was a true handoff and Jayden just took two steps after he handed off, and there’s two guys trying to make sure he didn’t have the ball — and then there goes the inside zone popping out of there. That is a hell of a weapon to have. Jayden Daniels and the threat of his zone read or carrying the ball getting outside the numbers is scary on defenses, and you have to have people account for him, and that’ll open up things for (Austin) Ekeler and (Brian) Robinson like it did."

- Jay Gruden via USA Today Sports

Daniels was a nightmare to scheme against in college. He's well on the way to being that in the pros. Once his passing prowess is enhanced and this area becomes feared, it'll be a conundrum for any defense no matter the standard.

https://riggosrag.com/posts/former-head-coach-lauds-jayden-daniels-dynamic-start-commanders-career

34 minutes ago, tontoz said:

To me the thing that stands out is what he isn't doing. He isn't making dumb decisions or missing open guys. He is making the easy throws routinely, which a lot of young quarterbacks can't do. 

26 carries and 53 passes without a turnover is definitely encouraging. He aint Will Levis. 

First - Welcome to the Fun Bunch.

Second - Making good choices w/ the football was one of JD's strengths in college, especially that final year. Glad it looks to be translating

Third - Nobody is Will Levis, Not even Will Levis. I can't believe the dummyball that dude is capable of. It blows my mind.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I see you, trying to get me to take the bait.  And here I am considering it as it will likely earn me a vacation that will keep me from being obsessed with here after we likely take a bad loss on Monday.  🤔 

Reduce your paranoia setting from 11 to 1. 😄

I have zero interest in "setting you up" (or anyone else, duh) for anything.🤨

Nor should you be spared any of the disappoinment we will all feel if we take a bad loss. 👹

I expect you to be here along with the rest of us, lamenting and overstating events as the tight knit group of sufferers that we be. 😐

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I wanna see the post that claimed he was the best in the league! I went and looked for it and I didn’t see it. I don’t think it exists. 

All this **** is a conspiracy! 

It was a tweet that someone posted.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jumbo said:

1768669575_perrymason.jpg.628fb64624da1f461730e006ebf1abf6.jpg

I don’t know what that is means but it’s mildly threatening! 

19 minutes ago, mistertim said:

It was a tweet that someone posted.

Ah ok thanks for clearing that up for me 🙃

It's a deep pull from the oldster file, but a classic. He was a great lawyer with excellent hair. He and his partners would investigate criminal activity and routinely pry confessions out of perps in front of the full court and tv cameras.  Hence his appropriate appearance to challenge mistertims testimony. 🧐🤨

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Conn said:

It’s a dink-and-dunk league, and Washington might be poised to excel at it with a thunder-and-lightning backfield and an elite running QB with clean throwing mechanics. 

I’m pumped to see if Daniels can match Burrow's impact on Monday, win or lose. Forget the stats—can he match or surpass Burrow's influence? For the first time since Griffin's rookie season, there’s hope that we have a guy who gives Washington a fighting chance. He’s the type of player that makes the favorites think, "We’re better, but that Daniels guy with his legs is scary."

Steal souls Monday, Daniels! 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, wit33 said:

It’s a dink-and-dunk league, and Washington might be poised to excel at it with a thunder-and-lightning backfield and an elite running QB with clean throwing mechanics. 

I’m pumped to see if Daniels can match Burrow's impact on Monday, win or lose. Forget the stats—can he match or surpass Burrow's influence? For the first time since Griffin's rookie season, there’s hope that we have a guy who gives Washington a fighting chance. He’s the type of player that makes the favorites think, "We’re better, but that Daniels guy with his legs is scary."

Agree with this. I think we get shredded. But shredded with a chance to duel and be in the game.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Would be a great sign if so. 

Though I worry Ja’marr Chase will be such an “I win” button to press against this secondary that it’s going to greatly skew the results of that regardless lol. 

Chase has had a slow start this year because he literally hadn’t practiced since the playoffs last year due to his contract dispute this offseason. You can be sure we’ll be his get-right game. 

• Like 1

Kliff and JD better start pushing the ball downfield.... or we are in for a loooong day on Monday. There should be a positive regression in the redzone... no way in hell they dont find a way to score on at least a 3rd of redzone trips. 

34 minutes ago, TurningTheCorner said:

Agree with this. I think we get shredded. But shredded with a chance to duel and be in the game.

It's going to be tough to screen and drink and dunk our way past Cincy. They have one of the best passing defenses in the NFL and they're good at press coverage. They'll attack and sit on the underneath stuff and dare us to try and beat them deep and in the middle. Should be an interesting test.

The good thing is that their run defense isn't that good, so hopefully we'll be able to try and take advantage of that if they're super aggressive vs the pass. Though sitting on the underneath stuff would still allow them to stack the box technically which could help against the run.