Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Commanders to retire Darrell Green's No. 28: 'Means a ton'

@DCGoldPants

ASHBURN, Va. -- When Josh Harris purchased the Washington Commanders last summer, one of the first calls he made was to Darrell Green, a player he grew up cheering for during the organization's heyday. So it's no surprise that Harris made Green the first player whose jersey he wanted to retire.

Green will become the fifth player in franchise history to have his number retired, the Commanders announced Thursday, joining Sammy Baugh, Bobby Mitchell, Sonny Jurgensen and Sean Taylor. Green wore No. 28 and played 20 seasons in the NFL -- all with Washington.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40021300/commanders-retire-darrell-green-no-28-means-ton

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 14

about time 

Since Harris bought the Commanders from Dan Snyder, a number of former players have resumed attending games or showing up at practices. Green attended a Washington game last season for the first time in a long time, owing to the ownership change.

"I'm happy about that," Green said at the time. "I probably wouldn't be here otherwise."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

ASHBURN, Va. -- When Josh Harris purchased the Washington Commanders last summer, one of the first calls he made was to Darrell Green, a player he grew up cheering for during the organization's heyday. So it's no surprise that Harris made Green the first player whose jersey he wanted to retire.

Green will become the fifth player in franchise history to have his number retired, the Commanders announced Thursday, joining Sammy Baugh, Bobby Mitchell, Sonny Jurgensen and Sean Taylor. Green wore No. 28 and played 20 seasons in the NFL -- all with Washington.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40021300/commanders-retire-darrell-green-no-28-means-ton

Darrel Green and Riggo are my two most favorite Redskins.

Couldn't happen to a more deserving  guy.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

What a great early decision by Mr. Harris.  So well deserved for Darrell!

Edited by foreverbandg
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mr. Harris,

Please don't put Jason Wright in charge of this! It's just another opportunity for him to eff up!!

26 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

"I'm happy about that," Green said at the time. "I probably wouldn't be here otherwise."

Can anyone imagine a player in any sport ever saying that about the owner, other than perhaps Steinbrenner? I don't want to rehash all of the horrors that occurred under Snyder, but driving away your own HoF players has to rank up there with the worst offenses.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, illone said:

Damn, I got a little misty watching them trick him into the announcement. 

Well deserved for one of the best to ever do it. 

Real men don't cry!

We just casually wipe away the sweat that mysteriously appears in the corner of our eyes. 😊

• Haha 3

That was great!  What a complete difference this ownership group has made in a short time!  Darrell Green was such an awesome and exciting player, so fast!!!

57 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Just beautiful.

This entire team has a different aura and feeling about it.

It's like the organization had an exorcism.

Just incredibly powerful positive vibe.

I hope years from now we look back and realize that tonight was a big part of that too.

Amazing and touched.

Got to wipe some sweat from my eyes now.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, shemp nixon said:

IMO, DG has never been given the credit he deserves from the national media. He was a legit shutdown corner who covered the NFL's top WRs all over the field, 1 0n 1.

In his prime he was elite.

None of the Gibbs players have. They were so much a part of a team-first culture. I mean arguably the single greatest line in NFL history has one member in the HoF. How Jacoby isn't there is nuts. Monk was roundly ignored for ever.

Edited by Riggo#44
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

I LOVE seeing our colors... OUR Uniforms... being worn by current admin! This might be what brings them back! DG is LOOOOONG overdue to have his # retired. We need to further retire 44, 7 & 81... maybe one per year for the next few years... 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Real men don't cry!

We just casually wipe away the sweat that mysteriously appears in the corner of our eyes. 😊

Exactly!

It's allergies... 👀🥲

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, FunBunch7 said:

I LOVE seeing our colors... OUR Uniforms... being worn by current admin! This might be what brings them back! DG is LOOOOONG overdue to have his # retired. We need to further retire 44, 7 & 81... maybe one per year for the next few years... 

I know this is OT but I have a gut feeling that when/if the team rebrands they will bring back some semblance of the old unis, albeit with a new logo/name.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1