Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2024 FA/Trades: Ertz, Armstrong, Ferrell, Fowler, Ndubuisi, Biadasz, Allegretti, Deiter, Luvu, Wagner, Pittman, Walker, Ekeler, McNichols, McManus, Mariota, Driskel, Ott, Chinn, Iggy, Davis, Pierre, Zaccheaus, Reaves, Crowder, Obada, Lucas, Byrd

CapsSkins

1 hour ago, Dah-Dee said:

Justin Simmons is a Manassas VA native, wonder whether Commanders will do the multiple-years deal probably needed to land him even though he's 30+.

I’d go up to 3 years to get it done. No more than that. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HigSkin said:

Cowboy fans are so bitter....LOL

It seems the influence of Adam Peters during his time with the Niners, where linebackers were highly valued, might be shaping the approach of this FO. I'm intrigued to see how this regime values the linebacker position moving forward and witness firsthand its impacts on game to game! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ExoDus84 said:

Man, I'd hate to be one of our contract lawyers the last few days...

kflw54pwsk601.gif.3c50dc6dcf6b55deea0eca7536d74d11.gif

LOL. Why? you know it's all the same contract the only differences are the $$ and years hired. All the other boxes fill in themselves. ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Dan Quinns and Adam Peterss are doing greats.

You know what I never understood?  Why people refer to other people "a (insert name)"  I think Mel Kiper might have started it, and it's caught on.

"To pass up a Trent Dilfer when all you have is Jim Harbaugh. Gimme a break.  That's why the Colts are picking second in the draft every year." To which Bill Tobin responded, "who in the hell is Mel Kiper anyway?" And the modern draft was born.  (As an aside, Mel's just about never right on QBs.  He wasn't really right about Dilfer. Who, yeah, got a SB with the Ravens, but just about anybody could have played QB and won with that team. 

But now all the draftniks are like, "You have a Drake Maye sitting there, you have to take him."  Or "If a Caleb Williams falls into your lap, you'd be crazy not to take him." 

It's an unnecessary word to make yourself sound more intelligent and theatrical.

Just remove the word.  "To pass up Trent Dilfer when all you have is Jim Harbaugh."  That's all you need. You don't need the "a."  Drop it. 

I don't know if it started before Mel or not, but I think it's his speech pattern and it's trickled through society.  And it drives me ****ing bananas.  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Kalu44 said:

I’d go up to 3 years to get it done. No more than that. 

Yeah, thinking maybe they'll offer Simmons the same deal as Luvu, 3 at up to 36, see if Simmons comes down off his 15M high horse.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Dang, Heinicke at 9mil?  Yikes.  I mean, I still have a bit of a soft spot for him, but that’s way too much dough IMO.  Good for him hanging around and earning… for now anyway.

He basically got a 2 year, $20m deal, but his cap hit this year is $9m.  He got a lot of the cash last year.  If they cut him they save $7m on the cap.

I can't imagine they keep him at the $9m number.

But who knows.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

You know what I never understood?  Why people refer to other people "a (insert name)"  I think Mel Kiper might have started it, and it's caught on.

"To pass up a Trent Dilfer when all you have is Jim Harbaugh. Gimme a break.  That's why the Colts are picking second in the draft every year." To which Bill Tobin responded, "who in the hell is Mel Kiper anyway?" And the modern draft was born.  (As an aside, Mel's just about never right on QBs.  He wasn't really right about Dilfer. Who, yeah, got a SB with the Ravens, but just about anybody could have played QB and won with that team. 

But now all the draftniks are like, "You have a Drake Maye sitting there, you have to take him."  Or "If a Caleb Williams falls into your lap, you'd be crazy not to take him." 

It's an unnecessary word to make yourself sound more intelligent and theatrical.

Just remove the word.  "To pass up Trent Dilfer when all you have is Jim Harbaugh."  That's all you need. You don't need the "a."  Drop it. 

I don't know if it started before Mel or not, but I think it's his speech pattern and it's trickled through society.  And it drives me ****ing bananas.  

I have two things to say about this:

1) Using the article "a" generalizes from an individual to an archetype. "A Drake Maye" is shorthand for "a Drake Maye-type of prospect", used to make a more general point that may be relevant in other situations beyond this one.

2) English is a Germanic language and in German, the gendered article for "the" (Der/Die/Das) is often used with names. I.e., I may say "Der Voice of Reason" rather than simply "Voice of Reason". So there is a precedent in our little branch of the language tree for this type of usage

Edited by CapsSkins
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I’d argue the coaching level bar was dug into a trench and buried 6 feet below the ground last year.  You can’t help but get over it.  

It’s shocking to me how bad Rivera’s entire coaching staff was, too to bottom. I don’t understand why he wouldn’t have tried to surround himself with better coaches top to bottom.  

It might not work with Quinn, but he went out and found high-level, respected coaches to come here and that’s very different. We really haven’t seen that since Shanahan.

Maybe Quinn spawns a bunch of future nfl head coaches.

• Like 1

Just now, 88Comrade2000 said:

Maybe Quinn spawns a bunch of future nfl head coaches.

He certainly seems to have succession planning built into his staff already. Kingsbury hired away? Brian Johnson next up. Or Anthony Lynn. Whitt Jr hired away? We got Ken Norton. Tavita Pritchard gets poached to be an OC? David Blough becomes next man up at the QB spot.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

Dallas resigning Jourdan Lewis. So he won't be coming here. I am glad for that one.

Same. This draft is loaded with slot corners. Can find a guy Day 3. I hope Reynolds resigns with the Lions too

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

That's fair I'll take the L on that. But I would say there is always a chance any team can sign any FA.

Howell being traded for a 3rd means the league actually places some value on him and I just don't see why they would relative to what some of his peers(Mac Jones, Desmond Ridder)went for. Howell might be better than those guys, but not demonstrably better that he'd garner that much more compensation.

I was just busting your balls bro.  I mean I sort of argued against you about Wagner, but even I thought it highly unlikely… I was more arguing about the certitude.  Positive and negative, life’s shown me over and over that you just never know.  And I agree in that I doubt Howell gets moved for a 3rd, even as I’d argue he’s shown more upside than those other two.  The question for me is can he be coached up (particularly on his negative traits), and how much did the surrounding crap he had to deal with affect his play?  Maybe a future conditional pick would be the way to satisfy both sides?

5 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

He certainly seems to have succession planning built into his staff already. Kingsbury hired away? Brian Johnson next up. Or Anthony Lynn. Whitt Jr hired away? We got Ken Norton. Tavita Pritchard gets poached to be an OC? David Blough becomes next man up at the QB spot.

You picked a hell of a year to start this monster of a thread.  :ols:

Killing brother, thank you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I wonder if our LB and SS signings suggest we may play more zone coverage than man?

If so, perhaps we bring back Kendall Fuller. He's versatile, a savvy vet, has relationships with our young CBs, and is very effective in zone coverage. 

3 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

This is going to end up being at least a 50% roster turnover in one offseason. I’d estimate the turnover of starters will likely be 60-65%.

Wild.

Because Ron built nothing. I expect a further purge next year.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

I wonder if our LB and SS signings suggest we may play more zone coverage than man?

If so, perhaps we bring back Kendall Fuller. He's versatile, a savvy vet, has relationships with our young CBs, and is very effective in zone coverage. 

Their pursuit of Yiadom seems to indicate man

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

2) English is a Germanic language and in German, the gendered article for "the" (Der/Die/Das) is often used with names. I.e., I may say "Der Voice of Reason" rather than simply "Voice of Reason". So there is a precedent in our little branch of the language tree for this type of usage

Die Bart, Die means "The Bart, The"

-- Sideshow Bob

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

12 minutes ago, method man said:

Same. This draft is loaded with slot corners. Can find a guy Day 3. I hope Reynolds resigns with the Lions too

Jarrian Jones - DB FSU. Not sure he will last until day 3, but I am banging the table