Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Deadline: Andre Braugher Dies: Star Of ‘Homicide: Life On The Street’, ‘Brooklyn Nine-Nine’ & Other Series And Films Was 61

Cooked Crack

Andre Braugher has died. The two-time Emmy-winning star of series including Homicide: Life on the Street, Men of a Certain Age and Brooklyn Nine-Nine was 61. Braugher, whose first film role came alongside Matthew Broderick and Denzel Washington in the Ed Zwick-directed Glory, died on Monday after a brief illness. 

While Braugher peppered his resume with comedies, many will remember him for his ferocious portrayal as Detective Frank Pembleton in the NBC drama Homicide: Life on the Street. Put him in the box, sweating out and outsmarting crime suspects in the interrogation room, and you were looking at a weekly dose of tour de force acting, as good as it got on television during that period of time. He won an Emmy for that show he starred in from 1992-98 and Homicide is also where he met his wife, actress Ami Brabson. Along with her, Braugher leaves behind sons Michael, Isaiah and John Wesley, as well as his brother Charles Jennings and his mother Sally Braugher. He also leaves behind WME agent Brandt Joel, attorney Keith Klevan and his publicist Jennifer Allen of Viewpoint, his rep team for the past 25 years.

https://deadline.com/2023/12/andre-braugher-dead-homicide-life-on-the-street-brooklyn-nine-nine-actor-1235665513/

• Sad 10

The few episodes of Brooklyn 99 that I caught, I was actually impressed with. At least on some levels. (Less so on others). 

And one of the elements I liked was that "the gay character" wasn't a stereotypical flaming interior decorator. 

No, "the gay guy" was the straight man.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

Obviously Homicide.  But he rocked me with his performance in Glory, and I saw Braugher and Avery Brooks in Othello together at the Folger Theater back in 1990 (before it moved to 7th Street NW and became the Shakespeare Theater).  I also saw Patrick Stewart play Othello there in '97.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/1990/12/05/othello-the-two-faces-of-tragedy/ae40e68f-04f7-4400-8f25-017f47c95ab7/

RIP to a legend ❤️🙏🏼

Edited by Chew
  • Like 6
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, Larry said:

The few episodes of Brooklyn 99 that I caught, I was actually impressed with. At least on some levels. (Less so on others). 

And one of the elements I liked was that "the gay character" wasn't a stereotypical flaming interior decorator. 

No, "the gay guy" was the straight man.

The cast of that show overall did a really good job, but Braugher made the show.

Homicide too of course. Lost a great one today. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumb up 1