Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would you join an ES Discord?

dfitzo53

Would you join an ES Discord server?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Would you join an ES Discord server?

• No
    • I don't have Discord but would consider signing up to stay connected to ES members
    • I already have Discord and would join

24 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Nah, I'm a OG message board guy or nothing. 

Same. Been using message boards since 1991. Prodigy was the first ISP I ever used.

Message boards were a God send back then for them Sierra games like Kings Quest and QFG where ya had to type in all the commands to play the damn game. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Same. Been using message boards since 1991. Prodigy was the first ISP I ever used.

Message boards were a God send back then for them Sierra games like Kings Quest and QFG where ya had to type in all the commands to play the damn game. 🤣

And making a mistake at the beginning of the game could make it unwinnable, but you wouldn't find that out until much later.

2 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

I didn't expect that...

It's an Office Space reference.

Edited by dfitzo53
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Fergasun said:

I would. But I think it lacks the threading and topic organization. 

It has threads but they’re strictly short term use really. 

The main threads that run for long periods of time that seem to contain the bulk of the activity, isn’t what those are designed for. Same for historic purposes. 

If it's even a smidgen more complicated than coming here, then no...

I tried using Discord once. Once. Said "nope" and haven't bothered since. The interface seemed all over the place, there was no intuitive way of using it, was just a ****load of text and no real visual hierarchy so your eyes went everywhere. I had zero desire to spend time figuring out what I should be doing.

• Thumb up 1

I'm already on discord for other communities but still prefer message boards. You can keep better track of topics. I don't have to worry about getting off work and seeing 1000 message posted since the last time I checked the app. And here if some topic gets to the second page I might still catch up with the next time someone updates it.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

My two cents. 

It is an interesting prospect, but id be wary if moderation could keep up with the high standard of the ES brand for an officially sanctioned discord if this is what  the discord would become. (i.e, one that is linked from this site and/or has name/community association that sets it apart from a generic commanders forum).

I presume  that the  mods on this forum already have enough work to do to keep up with proper decorum, so the discord would likely need to have a dedicated person handling it. And this person may have to  deal with even more headaches then the forum’s mods.

Low-grade trolling of the voice  chat rooms may be a problem as well. Once someone yells a slur or something offensive everyone in the chat everyone hears it and, even if you ban them, the deed is done.

The positives are there. Game day voice chat groups, if they are small, would be a blast for some people. Especially considering the success of the tailgates and that  it would also allow people outside of the DC area to talk to other fans in a more personal way than text. I say small scale because large scale ones would likely become bedlam. 

Note that discord can get a bad rap, which in many instances is warranted, but more exclusive well moderated ones aren’t nearly as bad as the more open and less moderated ones, based on my personal experiences.  To make it more exclusive, an ES post threshold could be implemented, but this is could cause problems by incentivizing people to post more often simply to get into the discord.

Edited by Bloodytusk
Added voice to the beginning of 4th paragraph for clarity.
  • Thumb up 1