Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

If Kingsbury is the OC, Peters needs to nail the OL in FA and the draft for the Air Raid O to work.  Peters is known for his mid/late round draft choices.  He needs to nail it but this draft is loaded with OL.  

1 minute ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Kingsbury was USC qb coach. There alot of talk of Williams not wanting to play for Chicago. I think Williams really does not want to end up in Chicago. I could easily see him pulling an Eli Manning.

I don't know if he wants to play for us. I don't know what the price would be to move up to get him. If he is the highest on are board and being from Washington I think we would try to get him. They may like Maye but you never know

It doesn't make sense when the #2 ranked QB in the draft, #5/6 overall who runs the air raid system and is 6' 4" tall and 230lbs and can take the pounding is a perfect match.  Why would you want to trade future picks/players for someone else.  We need OLmen to make the air raid system work.  We have multiple 2nd and 3rd rounders, Bro.  :)  

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

14 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

If we get Kingsbury, I think we will deal for Williams. There already rumors Williams does not want to play for Chicago. Williams believe it or not may want to play for Washington.

His camp has said he only wants to play for Washington or the Raiders. He also liked stuff on social media when the team was sold.

I’m a big UCLA guy and loathe most thing USC but Caleb is something special despite the record this year. It’s almost like a reverse Aikman for me. UCLA QB going to the Cowboys now USC QB possibly coming to Washington. 

Magic is also a big Caleb fan. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, RWJ said:

If Kingsbury is the OC, Peters needs to nail the OL in FA and the draft for the Air Raid O to work.  Peters is known for his mid/late round draft choices.  He needs to nail it but this draft is loaded with OL.  

It doesn't make sense when the #2 ranked QB in the draft, #5/6 overall who runs the air raid system and is 6' 4" tall and 230lbs and can take the pounding is a perfect match.  Why would you want to trade future picks/players for someone else.  We need OLmen to make the air raid system work.  We have multiple 2nd and 3rd rounders, Bro.  :)  

100 precent they dont just need oline men they need more talent everywhere. This team is bad. They need all the picks they can get.

Depends on how Washington see the board. They may just take Maye or Dainels that is the smart thing to do. I do suspect there something going on with Williams not wanting to play for Chicago. Us hiring his  Qb coach as are OC makes me think something could be cooking.

Edited by Redskins 2021

7 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

100 precent they dont just need oline men they need more talent everywhere. This team is bad. They need all the picks they can get.

Depends on how Washington see the board. They may just take Maye or Dainels that is the smart thing to do. I do suspect there something going on with Williams not wanting to play for Chicago. Us hiring his  Qb coach as are OC makes me think something could be cooking.

I don't know if it's worth trading for Williams. I would love to get him, but I would happily grab Maye or Daniels and keep all our picks.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, NOLA2DC said:

I don't know if it's worth trading for Williams. I would love to get him, but I would happily grab Maye or Daniels and keep all our picks.

It may not be the best move for us to trade up, but if he is the highest rated Qb, from Washington DC, and his Qb coach is the OC. Something may be cooking on a trade for Williams.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

It may not be the best move for us to trade up, but if he is the highest rated Qb, from Washington DC, and his Qb coach is the OC. Something may be cooking on a trade for Williams.

I'll believe it when it happens.  I don't think so.  That's just me.  :)  

Just now, Warhead36 said:

Him being from here is a massive negative for me. The hometown savior hero complex is only gonna bring out the worst in him. 

Yep.  I call him Celeb Caleb and as I pointed out to everyone Maye and Howell too played in an Air Raid system.  :) 

31 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

If somethings cooking, I smell some North Carolina BBQ and it smells GOOOOOOOOD!    :)  

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

Read about Maye running the Air Raid system and Howell too under the previous OC and the new one that Maye played under this year but with a bit of a different twist.  I think in the end, Kliff Kingsbury is the guy.  Just saying.  Makes sense.  Even John Keim is reposting a post of both Howell and Maye together.  Might mean something or it might mean nothing.  

Mack Brown expects improved running game, continued use of air raid in 2023 season - (dailytarheel.com)

By Matthew Maynard
Published Thursday, July 27, 2023

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Last season, the North Carolina football team boasted one of the best offenses in the country. UNC ranked 19th in total offense and averaged just over 462 yards per game. 

This season, a new-look offense will aim to lead North Carolina back to the ACC Championship game. After the departure of offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Phil Longo, along with star wide receivers Josh Downs and Antoine Green — who were both selected in the 2022 NFL Draft — head coach Mack Brown added key pieces to his coaching staff and roster.

Under Longo, UNC operated an air raid style offense, playing to the strengths of quarterback Drake Maye and utilizing his offensive threats. After Longo’s departure, Brown was looking for an offensive coordinator with experience in the air raid system, but also one who could enhance the running game. He landed on former UCF offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey.

The dude below along with all Raider fans were thinking it was a done deal and they give you some idea of the Air Raid system KK runs.

Wow. Howell looks like the white Gary Coleman, standing next to Maye! Maye is either a giant or Howell needs to get stretched like Barney Fife did, whenever his lack of height was going to ruin his career 😂

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

This dude who's totally neutral and going crazy about our plans. If you're short on time, the first 20 minutes are the best part.

Maybe Celeb Williams BUT why would you trade for a QB when Drake Maye already ran the same O at the UNC!  Now, I will stop.  Let's see how Peters works this.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

Wow. Howell looks like the white Gary Coleman, standing next to Maye! Maye is either a giant or Howell needs to get stretched like Barney Fife did, whenever his lack of height was going to ruin his career 😂

S5-E2-Barney-s-Physical.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

So Quinn was the pick without a definite OC choice among his staff list? Isn’t that odd? I kind of assumed a huge advantage that he had was that he’d already have a hell of a staff assembled via handshake deals. But we’re doing interviews for arguably the most important position on the staff

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Conn said:

So Quinn was the pick without a definite OC choice among his staff list? Isn’t that odd? I kind of assumed a huge advantage that he had was that he’d already have a hell of a staff assembled via handshake deals. But we’re doing interviews for arguably the most important position on the staff

I like that we're doing interviews to make sure we get it right. For all we do they could be targeting someone from the 49er's or Chiefs. I always find it odd when people say there should be a handshake deal in place. We're not buying a car.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

I like that we're doing interviews to make sure we get it right. For all we do they could be targeting someone from the 49er's or Chiefs. I always find it odd when people say there should be a handshake deal in place. We're not buying a car.

Right, you could have favorites but not interviewing you could miss out on a gem who has a genius idea for your team that you never would've thought of. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

It’s a legit cult over there in Detroit. Campbell has these guys passing up on generational wealth opportunities in consecutive years and the prestige / potential legacy of being an NFL HC, and now he has guys talking about jumping off cliffs for him. 😂

Quinn needs to find out whatever that guy’s selling and bottle some up for this team. 

Edited by HTTRDynasty
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, spjunkies said:

This dude who's totally neutral and going crazy about our plans. If you're short on time, the first 20 minutes are the best part.

One would have to think that it’s done right? KK wouldn’t leave a deal he had in place for just a shot to land another job. He wouldn’t just walk away, burn a bridge without knowing he has something else concrete.

Just now, NYSkins21 said:

One would have to think that it’s done right? KK wouldn’t leave a deal he had in place for just a shot to land another job. He wouldn’t just walk away, burn a bridge without knowing he has something else concrete.

Who knows, this off-season has been wacky so far. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Conn said:

He probably had a list of perspective ideas as to who he wanted.  I heard in an interview i think it was Thomas Dimitrov with the junkies that Quinn is big with his staff meshing well and communicating well with the front office.  So could also be a meet and greet to find the perfect mix of colaboration

• Like 1

This points out what may (or may not be) a problem with Josh's hiring style that I suspect is only temporary and won't happen going forward. There are reports that the Commanders had indeed interviewed Belichick and that some of the "decision makers" had in fact wanted to hire him. I've seen other reports that refer to the Commanders "hiring committee". This makes me wonder if Josh has too many decision makers in the hiring loop. 

For example, he has Bob Myers, Rick Spielman, Magic Johnson, Mitch Rales, Mark Ein, Adam Peters,  in addition to himself and maybe even Eugene Shen apparently in the decision making process for the new HC. That's a lot of people and it slows down the decision making process. Even if it wasn't all of those people who were involved in the process, it's more than other teams most likely have involved (as in "too many cooks"). 

Josh's management style seems to be to have a number of others involved in the process. In the Commanders' case, probably because he had to put so many investors together to come up with the price to buy the team and he wants them all to have a say in the management. As the managing partner, I would expect that once he has this team put together and back on the rails, it would be just him, Peters, DQ (and probably a new team president) making the final decision on Commanders' matters.

Right now, I give hm a pass for going slow and possibly making some mistakes along the way. After all, look at the job he's facing with this team. He is a new NFL owner (with little experience managing an NFL franchise even though he is an experienced sports owner). If Johnson had taken the job, Josh would have had a guy who while great in his current job has never been a HC before, along with Peters..who again, while great in his current (previous) job has never been a full GM before, faced with rosters they both know hardly anythng about, trying to turn around the worst franchise in the NFL. That's a staggering task for even the most experienced people.

While I was intially disappointed in not getting BJ, I am now glad they got an old salt like Dan Quinn who knows his way around the NFL in the mix. While a slimmed down management process in the future (with people more experienced by then) may be more appropriate, I have to admit that...given with the immense challenge Josh is faced with, his slower, team management process in this case looks as if it may have saved the team from a huge mistake in hiring BJ. You know who from out past would have gone after the shiniest bauble (with the biggest name on the board) and hired him in a flash.

https://riggosrag.com/posts/commanders-news-ben-johnson-dan-quinn-spurned-advances-high-demands

excerpts below:

>>Insider revelations indicate Commanders had lucky escape with Ben Johnson

There was one final twist to the tale between Ben Johnson and the Commanders...

...Commanders were on the fence about Ben Johnson...

....Mike Garafolo of the NFL Network had a completely different view on how things went down with Johnson during this hiring cycle. The respected insider revealed via USA Today Sports that the play-caller didn't interview well. He wasn't seen as a true leadership type. There were also suggestions he jumped before being pushed to save face.

"I don’t think he interviewed particularly well. [Ben] Johnson withdrew, and he withdrew as Washington was coming to see him, which did not go over well at all with the Washington organization. But, I believe he withdrew from two coaching searches that he wouldn’t have gotten the job anyway. So, that’s the old ‘I’m not fired, I quit,’ one of those deals. So, I don’t think he really bowled people over in the interview process at all. And I’ve heard that his personality, you know, he’s very smart, very bright, a great play-caller, but I’ve heard that his personality is kind of…..not the most gregarious guy. Not a Mike Macdonald-type guy or even a Dan Quinn-type guy, so I think that came across in the interview process."

- Mike Garafolo via USA Today Sports...

Others like the Carolina Panthers and Atlanta Falcons went in different directions quickly to get their chosen targets. Did the Commanders wait around to get a broader perception from others within the hiring committee? If so, it left them with egg on their face.

Garafolo added another interesting detail specific to the Commanders. He got the sense that Johnson was the preferred choice of general manager Adam Peters. Seems fair enough considering they are two young, progressive figures with glowing reputations. They had the potential to mesh well before things took an unexpected turn.

The insider believes that others weren't so sure about Johnson. But again, if this conclusion had been made, why waste time going for a second meeting?

"My belief is that he came into this; Adam Peters had Ben Johnson as his guy. And Adam Peters was not the only one making the decision there in Washington. Which is not to say he was undermined, but [advisor] Rick Spielman was involved, Josh Harris, obviously the owner of the organization, [advisor] Bob Myers involved as well, so four people who came to a collective decision, and it was not going to be Ben Johnson..."

...And who knows, the Commanders might have had a lucky escape where Johnson is concerned. Time will tell on that one....<<
Edited by SonnySideUp
  • Like 3