Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Will see.  The rap on Johnson for the last two years is the dude is a chameleon and not a system kind of guy.  Goff by most measures especially with his lack of mobility isn't exactly some prototype QB that every team craves.    So my gut is I'll take people who know Johnson for their word who say he adopted his system around Goff's skills including bringing in concepts from McVay's offense that he executed well in LA. 

My point is I am not redefinding Johnson as system guy and Goff just happened to fit his system.  I'll run with the narrative about Johnson that he's eclectic because he's exposed to so many offenses, including Mike Martz, so anything goes as to what's next.  But will see.

Really like calling him eclectic and a chameleon, it does fit based on his history. He has been able to work with whatever the abilities are with his QBs and the full offensive roster. As we learned, EB sucked at this and shows based on all the HC and OC interviews he received this year. 

Like I stated, my belief is the QB will need to capable of diagnosing fairly quickly. It will be breath of fresh air if we are watching a young talented mobile QB run a good offense with protection and properly thought out play calling. I could see him wanting a vet that has the ability to start in September

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I dont think Johnson has a set system but like every coach he will want a QB with certain traits as a foundation to build off.

You take the QB will the greater skill set, greater footballing IQ, and higher long term ceiling, go from there. 

Well, I think most will agree.  If Quinn is hired, most on this board will be unhappy.  He has lost in the playoff with Dallas each year.  His D got blown out by GB, should never happen.  If it's not Johnson or MacDonald now, I'll be disappointed.  :)  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, GoSkins1976 said:

I'd say there is a much greater chance the Quinn ends up as our DC than our HC, I'm wondering if it is between he and Weaver for the position.

That'd be fine with me as DC but I'd rather have Weaver.  Again, why has Quinn's D choked each year in the playoffs?  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Dallas wont let him leave for a lateral move with a division rival

He not under contract with Dallas. His contract expired at the end of 2023.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GoSkins1976 said:

If he was under contract I would agree with you but he isn't so he can do whatever he wants

Exactly. Quinn may like it in Dallas but he’s not under contract in 2024.

He obviously wants to be a HC still, or he wouldn’t be taking all of these interviews.

If he doesn’t get a HC deal, I would imagine he would want a long term DC position of at least 3 years vs the one year deal he had in Dallas. It could be with us.

Interesting. I can’t find details but you may be right.

This is from last week:
Archer wrote team owner Jerry Jones has "adjusted" Quinn's contract in order to fend off outside interest but posited the former Atlanta Falcons head coach might now be tempted "if the right opportunity presents itself."

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/10104392-cowboys-rumors-jerry-jones-adjusted-dan-quinns-contract-but-dc-wants-to-be-hc-again.amp.html

Edited by seantaylor=god

5 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

Interesting. I can’t find details but you may be right.

This is from last week:
Archer wrote team owner Jerry Jones has "adjusted" Quinn's contract in order to fend off outside interest but posited the former Atlanta Falcons head coach might now be tempted "if the right opportunity presents itself."

Post a link for the source. :) 

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

Well, I think most will agree.  If Quinn is hired, most on this board will be unhappy.  He has lost in the playoff with Dallas each year.  His D got blown out by GB, should never happen.  If it's not Johnson or MacDonald now, I'll be disappointed.  :)  

me too, the only other 2 I wouldn't be as disappointed over if it's not Johnson/McDonald is Slowik/Weaver..I'll be emotionally more stable if either of them were hired over Quinn.

this is an opinion of mine but I honestly think if the Cowboys lost to GB by only a few points and their Defense wouldn't have got so torched by Love & Co. I think Jones would have fired McCarthy and replaced him w/Quinn, but seeing thier Defense was torched I think that could have had a hand in Jerry keeping McCarthy so to me thats a bit of a red flag too, we don't like Dallas at all, but let's be honest they do have alot of talent on the Defensive side of the ball and Quinn might just get to much of the credit...just my opinion

Edited by Command The 414
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, RWJ said:

That'd be fine with me as DC but I'd rather have Weaver.  Again, why has Quinn's D choked each year in the playoffs?  

I'm a huge fan of Weaver as DC but if we have a chance to get Quinn, that'd be a dream FO/coaching team!   IMO, an experienced guy like Quinn with a rookie HC would be ideal.

I doubt it but one can only wish....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Ohh hmm I thought I read somewhere that he got some kinda adjusted contract from Jerruh for 2024

Exactly

"Dallas Cowboys defensive coordinator Dan Quinn "wants to be a head coach again," according to ESPN's Todd Archer. Archer wrote team owner Jerry Jones has "adjusted" Quinn's contract in order to fend off outside interest but posited the former Atlanta Falcons head coach might now be tempted "if the right opportunity presents itself."

51 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

I'm a huge fan of Weaver as DC but if we have a chance to get Quinn, that'd be a dream FO/coaching team!   IMO, an experienced guy like Quinn with a rookie HC would be ideal.

I doubt it but one can only wish....

I'm wondering if Weaver (I doubt Mc Donald would come for the same position) doesn't have an edge since Breer claimed that Harris wants to model the team after the Ravens. So far we've got only one former Raven onboard. Shen might influence him 🤔

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 1

I've mentioned here when digesting these head coaching prospects, the one who gave me the most pause as to a leader of men type was Slowik.   It looks like he might be a coordinator left out as to hires this cycle.  Where other offensive coordinators were hired in Tennessee and Carolina.   In both of those cases we read that those FOs were blown away by the interviews.

I figured Slowik would have a fighting chance here with Peters who I gather would know him well.   But at least judging by reports (not Vegas odds), he seems the longest of the long shots as to getting this job.

Now if all of that plays out as it looks, its my one pause about Ben Johnson getting the gig.  I still think he gets it.    And while Ben comes off to me profile wise as more of a leader of men than Slowik.  He also doesn't come off like an off the charts guy on that front.  And that's my concern about Quinn who does have that off the charts rep.  So factor that with this FO seems to be fixated on leadership, I still think Quinn has a fighting chance albiet I am rooting against him. :ols: 

Ben Johnson on the leadership front profile wise struck me as a dude that has a clear vision, values leadership-motivation based on various things he said, supposedly off the charts as a communicator -- but is not the type you run through the wall for.    But for me that's fine.  I am not in the camp that a good HC is simple a dude who was a good coordinator.  And nothing else matters much.  But am also not in the camp that X's and O's don't matter.  I am somewhere in between those two points.  Ben Johnson profile wise threads that needle enough IMO. 

I am back and forth on Quinn not where I've ever been high on him but to the extent where I am OK with it.  But the more i think about it the more uninspired it feels even though Logan Paulsen would be on Cloud Nine if they hired him. 

egas

1 hour ago, FrFan said:

I'm wondering if Weaver (I doubt Mc Donald would come for the same position) doesn't have an edge since Breer claimed that Harris wants to model the team after the Ravens. So far we've got only one former Raven onboard. Shen might influence him 🤔

Keim talked about this a little saying don't look at them wanting to model the Ravens as them needing to hire people from that team -- they can do it without their people, etc.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've mentioned here when digesting these head coaching prospects, the one who gave me the most pause as to a leader of men type was Slowik.   It looks like he might be a coordinator left out as to hires this cycle.  Where other offensive coordinators were hired in Tennessee and Carolina.   In both of those cases we read that those FOs were blown away by the interviews.

I figured Slowik would have a fighting chance here with Peters who I gather would know him well.   But at least judging by reports (not Vegas odds), he seems the longest of the long shots as to getting this job.

Now if all of that plays out as it looks, its my one pause about Ben Johnson getting the gig.  I still think he gets it.    And while Ben comes off to me profile wise as more of a leader of men than Slowik.  He also doesn't come off like an off the charts guy on that front.  And that's my concern about Quinn who does have that off the charts rep.  So factor that with this FO seems to be fixated on leadership, I still think Quinn has a fighting chance albiet I am rooting against him. :ols: 

Ben Johnson on the leadership front profile wise struck me as a dude that has a clear vision, values leadership-motivation based on various things he said, supposedly off the charts as a communicator -- but is not the type you run through the wall for.    But for me that's fine.  I am not in the camp that a good HC is simple a dude who was a good coordinator.  And nothing else matters much.  But am also not in the camp that X's and O's don't matter.  I am somewhere in between those two points.  Ben Johnson profile wise threads that needle enough IMO. 

I am back and forth on Quinn not where I've ever been high on him but to the extent where I am OK with it.  But the more i think about it the more uninspired it feels even though Logan Paulsen would be on Cloud Nine if they hired him. 

No mention of MacDonald at all, SIP?  

All of you Johnson lovers (teeheehee) underestimate the power of personality that Quinn/Rivera/Campbell types have in interviews, especially for teams that are identity or discipline starved. Quinn is going to rock in these interviews. His passion shows (think back to this dude going h.a.m. in the booth during Sissygirl games on good/bad plays) and that resonates with players AND front office personnel. He has been a head coach (another good quality save for the people who hate retreads aka folks who've proven themselves valuable time and again) and his main competition is a dude who's been a coordinator for only 2 years.

In any other business a guy like Quinn gets the job over a dude with a resume with one, 2-year job on it. It'll be interesting to see the new ownership's priorities: hiring a silver haired guy with an eclectic resume or hiring the guy with less personality who hasn't had a career that is mature enough to accumulate mistakes. 

IMHO, it's more important that the head guy be mature and tested and the coordinators/position coaches be young and player relatable ala Shannahan time here. Imagine if the 'turd-who-shall-remain-nameless' had allowed that staff to mature unbothered by the front office/owner's whims.

Suffice it to say, we are going to learn a lot about the owners and Peters next week. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RWJ said:

No mention of MacDonald at all, SIP?  

don't get the point.  mention of McDonald in what context?

On another note, Rapoport just mentioned what Pauline did which is Rivera could be the Cowboys defensive coordinator if he leaves

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1