Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

16 minutes ago, BurgundyBooger said:

It's interesting.

Bill Belichick used to poke fun about Marv Levy coaching in his 70s and that he wouldn't be "that guy," and now here we are.

I think he takes a year off coaching, before he finally retires.

It might be best for BB.  I don't see him getting a HC position this year.  I think he wants full control and that's the problem.  We shall see. 

5 minutes ago, RWJ said:

It might be best for BB.  I don't see him getting a HC position this year.  I think he wants full control and that's the problem.  We shall see. 

Could be and it'll be interesting to see what happens if Reid retires after their run this year.

Sheehan's podcast with Standig

A.  Sheehan thinks Johnson the favorite

B.  Sheehan thinks if not Johnson then Quinn.

Don't know if that's what he is hearing or just a guess.  I know he knows someone close to one of the minority owners.

C.  Standig thinks Johnson is the favorite but not slam dunk

D.  Harris and his clique are very tight lipped so this is about what others are saying around the league

E.  Standig if he had to pick another if not Johnson said McDonald but hard call between him, Quinn, Morris

F.  Standig also said one insider type he knows told him McDonald isn't the favorite for any of these jobs 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Could be and it'll be interesting to see what happens if Reid retires after their run this year.

It will.  BB's endurance as HC is amazing just like Andy Reid's.  They've been doing it for a long time and add the years they were position coaches before they became HCs.  Wow.  :) 

• Like 1

What's the latest on the Commanders job?

Fowler: The Commanders are expected to do in-person interviews with all seven of their first-round candidates (the first interviews were virtual). So they could take their time -- especially if they target Ben Johnson, whom many around the league expect. I still think things are wide open, though. It wouldn't shock if Morris ends up a finalist for this one, and the same goes for Macdonald and Quinn. Weaver, Slowik and Glenn also will have their chance to impress with in-person interviews. So this appears fluid.

Graziano: For a while now it has felt like most people consider Ben Johnson the favorite here, but I also think this is an intriguing spot for Slowik. This is a team that's almost certainly going to be breaking in a rookie quarterback next season, and Slowik's work this season with C.J. Stroud in Houston is a strong recommendation for his résumé in the eyes of teams in the same position. If the Commanders are set on getting an offensive coach -- and I'm not saying they are or should be -- and they can't get Johnson, I'd keep an eye on Slowik.

Fowler: What's wild is Washington is considered a top-two job in the cycle. I never would have guessed that four months ago. But the Commanders now have five top-100 draft picks (including second overall) and a talented new GM in Adam Peters. If an offensive candidate such as Johnson is high on Drake Maye -- both UNC products, by the way -- then that deepens the intrigue.

Graziano: Agree 100%. Peters is extremely well respected around the league and makes the job a draw for candidates. I would say this is one of the most closely watched hires, since new team owner Josh Harris is an unknown to many in the league and is tasked with rebuilding what was once a flagship NFL franchise that fell into disrepair under previous ownership. The opportunity will be there for Washington's new coach to thrive.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/39377868/nfl-head-coach-openings-buzz-2024-rumors-candidates-interviews-hirings

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sheehan's podcast with Standig

A.  Sheehan thinks Johnson the favorite

B.  Sheehan thinks if not Johnson then Quinn.

Don't know if that's what he is hearing or just a guess.  I know he knows someone close to one of the minority owners.

C.  Standig thinks Johnson is the favorite but not slam dunk

D.  Harris and his clique are very tight lipped so this is about what others are saying around the league

E.  Standig if he had to pick another if not Johnson said McDonald but hard call between him, Quinn, Morris

F.  Standig also said one insider type he knows told him McDonald isn't the favorite for any of these jobs 

They can only be guessing because Harris it tight lipped.  I truly believe no one knows but following the HC situation here it 100% points to Ben Johnson and really, it's not even close.  If I am wrong, so be it.  I 100% could be and I'll take the flack back.  I stand my ground that it's 100% Ben.  Quinn is headed to Seattle and I think they will end up hiring him before the end of the week as HC.  Just a guess and then it leaves Carolina.  I think their guy will be Dave Canales to work with their #1 pick from last year. That just leaves Atlanta and I think they end up getting Vrabel.  Thus, we wait for Ben Johnson.  My guess.  :)  Sorry for the emotion and to all.  It's been about JK.  He is who he is.  I like to see him be more open and not timid as a beat reporter. :)  

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

They can only be guessing because Harris it tight lipped.  I truly believe no one knows but following the HC situation here it 100% points to Ben Johnson and really, it's not even close.  If I am wrong, so be it.  I 100% could be and I'll take the flack back.  I stand my ground that it's 100% Ben.  Quinn is headed to Seattle and I think they will end up hiring him before the end of the week as HC.  Just a guess and then it leaves Carolina.  I think their guy will be Dave Canales to work with their #1 pick from last year. That just leaves Atlanta and I think they end up getting Vrabel.  Thus, we wait for Ben Johnson.  My guess.  :)  Sorry for the emotion and to all.  It's been about JK.  He is who he is.  I like to see him be more open and not timid as a beat reporter. :)  

I want Ben to be the guy.  I think he likely will be the guy.  Not sure how you can be 100% on it being a done deal? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I want Ben to be the guy.  I think he likely will be the guy.  Not sure how you can be 100% on it being a done deal? 

Speculation is running, rampant my friend, SIP. :)  Again, Harris refreshingly is tight lipped, but I've seen and heard enough for me to speculate too and that's where the 100 % comes from and I put it out there that's why I said I could be 100% wrong to and I'll take the flack back if not.  Boomer put it out there that he was 100% and said, Ben was "locked in".  I'm calling it the way I see it, bud!  :)  

19 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Speculation is running, rampant my friend, SIP. :)  Again, Harris refreshingly is tight lipped, but I've seen and heard enough for me to speculate too and that's where the 100 % comes from and I put it out there that's why I said I could be 100% wrong to and I'll take the flack back if not.  Boomer put it out there that he was 100% and said, Ben was "locked in".  I'm calling it the way I see it, bud!  :)  

I think the disconnect is that you don't understand what 100 percent means.

100 percent is something like, will the sun rise tomorrow or am I going to die some day.

You can't be 100 percent and then say " I could be wrong"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Die Hard said:

I’ve always liked Fangio and have wanted him hermany times in the past when opportunities arose. Alas it was never meant to be.

But dude has really been around the league… it’s almost seems purposeful he never came to Washington.

Hermany? Did you mean….

image.jpeg.dc908070caf6f249375a6f7bf6d22f55.jpeg

or did you mean….

image.jpeg

Autocorrection provided by Fan since a Fetus…I am a bot

Edited by Fan since a Fetus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

32 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I think the disconnect is that you don't understand what 100 percent means.

100 percent is something like, will the sun rise tomorrow or am I going to die some day.

You can't be 100 percent and then say " I could be wrong"

main-qimg-3650ea756afe6ebaaeaf047d25deb9

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Kind of surprising.  I would have thought Vrabel would have the lead but with Slowik I think it may have to do with Blank having some control.  Who knows.  Another team is about to bite the dust in hiring a HC.  Sorry, I forget about Carolina.  Thinking Canales.  Get er'd done Hotlanta and Seattle is all over Quinn at this time so that would leave only us.  Patience is a good thing!  :)  

Edited by RWJ

10 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Kind of surprising.  I would have thought Vrabel would have the lead but with Slowik I think it may have to do with Blank having some control.  Who knows.  Another team is about to bite the dust in hiring a HC.  Sorry, I forget about Carolina.  Thinking Canales.  Get er'd done Hotlanta and Seattle is all over Quinn at this time so that would leave only us.  Patience is a good thing!  :)  

_end_rule.pngatl.png&h=110&w=110

What's the latest on the Falcons job?

Graziano: I had been told late last week by people close to this situation to expect a resolution between the Falcons and Belichick on Monday or Tuesday of this week. Obviously, that didn't happen. But as of Wednesday evening, my understanding is that Belichick to the Falcons remains a possibility, perhaps even the most likely scenario.

There are hurdles to clear, though, in terms of what the organizational structure would look like under Belichick. Longtime Falcons team president Rich McKay is a very powerful figure in that organization and a trusted lieutenant of team owner Arthur Blank. His role likely would be reduced if Belichick came to town, and there's also a feeling that Belichick would bring a lot of his own people for positions up and down the organization. So as you would imagine, there's pushback from people in the building whose jobs might be negatively impacted.

• 3dDan Graziano

While the Falcons and Belichick continue to talk, Atlanta is interviewing a long list of candidates. Jim Harbaugh going to the Chargers eliminates one, and if Blank wants a huge name, Belichick is the only one left. Houston offensive coordinator Bobby Slowik is due in there Thursday. Former Titans coach Mike Vrabel was having his second interview Wednesday, as was Carolina defensive coordinator Ejiro Evero. The Falcons have a plan to send a contingent to Detroit early next week for in-person interviews with Lions coordinators Ben Johnson and Aaron Glenn, too.

Fowler: Yeah, Dan, it feels like the Belichick momentum has stalled a bit. To your point, most people I've talked to believe that Blank was open to the Belichick option, but not everyone in the building was sold. Now, do I think he's one of the Falcons' top options? Yes. But they appear dedicated to a thorough process.

They are intrigued by Slowik. And they are still scheduled to talk with four assistants from championship games, with Ravens assistants Mike Macdonald and Anthony Weaver joining the two Lions coordinators you mentioned. It still feels like anything is possible here. The Falcons know they have a good roster and are the proverbial quarterback away, so they will lean on experience -- hence Belichick, Vrabel, etc. being in the mix.

Graziano: What I think a lot of people on the outside of this find interesting is that Atlanta feels like the only option for Belichick. Like, if he's not coaching the Falcons next season, he's not coaching anybody, right? I know you've been making the point for a while that he might not have a robust market coming off three losing seasons in the past four, but with seven jobs (not counting his own) coming open, it still feels startling that this is the only team that has seemed serious about him.

I'd heard a lot of speculation linking him to Dallas, Philadelphia or Buffalo if those jobs opened, but it appears none of them will. Do you think there's a chance that we've seen the last of Belichick as an NFL head coach?

Fowler: Possible, yes. But there's always next year's cycle, too, if he doesn't strike a deal with Atlanta. To your point, I haven't spoken to one person who says Belichick has something else brewing. If the Dallas job opened (a moot point now), then I think Belichick would have met with the Jones family. I'm not sure Philly would have been viable for him.

He certainly still has the fire to coach, being 15 wins from Don Shula's career wins record. And in talking to someone close to him, I don't get the sense he's trying to bulldoze a front office and make it his own. Belichick is capable of working with new people. But as was told to me, he needs certain familiar figures to make the "Belichick way" tick. That is where key figures such as Josh McDaniels, Joe Judge and Scott Pioli enter the fray. Also a factor in it all: The Falcons value GM Terry Fontenot.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/39377868/nfl-head-coach-openings-buzz-2024-rumors-candidates-interviews-hirings

• Thanks 2

I am so pissed off at Ron for not hiring Vic Fangio when he was available years ago.   Instead he hired the clown who was just awful as defensive coordinator.  So today Profootball Talk announces Eagles are hiring Vic Fangio.  Fangio as a defensive coordinator has made every team better when he left them.  He was not good as a Head Coach and that is true for a lot of coordinators including both Turners.

Panthers hiring Canalas clearly helps the Ben Johnson quest.  I am not ready to go with @RWJ's 100%.  But if I were a bettting man, I'd put plenty of chips on Johnson.

Whether its true or not, the fact that the NFL buzz is Washington is where Ben Johnson wants to go might be helpful.

• Like 3

Just now, actorguy1 said:

Ian Rappoport very, very rarely can be off the mark but this makes sense and for Tepper, he's fortunate to land Canales.  Super fortunate!  If Tepper blows this hire, he's lost the respect of the NFL.  Now down to Hotlanta, Seattle and us.