Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

So me and @Voice_of_Reason and who else here isn't jumping off a bridge if they hire Raheem?  He's #4 on my list so I have ones I prefer over him.  But it doesn't feel like a disaster hire to me.   It feels like @RWJ is warming up to him though. 😎

https://www.si.com/nfl/rams/news/los-angeles-rams-coach-raheem-morris-candidate-commanders-chargers-lions-playoffs

"He's been the same great coach that I've always known. He's a great leader. He elevates people and situations that he's a part of and I think that's the greatest sign of leadership," McVay said about Morris. "We always talk about trying to help guys reach and realize their highest potential. I think we're seeing a lot of growth and development from a lot of people that he has an influence on."

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2024/1/8/24030435/rams-raheem-morris-commanders-head-coach-interview

Though the Rams defense has not been elite, Morris is a Super Bowl-winning coordinator and he took over the cheapest and least experienced roster in the NFL in 2023 on defense and helped L.A. make the playoffs by ranking roughly average in most categories. It is probably more impressive that Morris has an average defense with this roster than if he had a top-5 defense with a group that had many $20 million per year players and first round picks.

Aaron Donald is the only former first or second round pick on the Rams entire defense.

No way in heck! I don't care if Donald Trump, Joe Biden or anyone in the NFL endorsed him.  I don't want him anywhere near this team. I know there will be a lot of laughs and i understand that but I'm not laughing, nor will I respond anymore on Raheem Morris as HC.  Now, let me cool down and move along.  :)  

• Thumb up 2

Honestly, since everyone (not the national guys) has decided to put out there they think Commanders want Ben Johnson so badly and people are believing it, it will be awfully embarrassing if he goes somewhere else. And I can already tell the fanbase won't react well or rationally to it if that happens. 

I've also noticed all the guys keep giving themselves an out ("I'm pretty sure its Johnson but Tepper could give him money and it could change things"... I think its Johnson but you never know who could offer him more" LOL)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Honestly, since everyone (not the national guys) has decided to put out there they think Commanders want Ben Johnson so badly and people are believing it, it will be awfully embarrassing if he goes somewhere else. And I can already tell the fanbase won't react well or rationally to it if that happens. 

I've also noticed all the guys keep giving themselves an out ("I'm pretty sure its Johnson but Tepper could give him money and it could change things"... I think its Johnson but you never know who could offer him more" LOL)

I'm on the Johson bandwagon, but if the FO decides to sign another one I won't be mad since I trust them to be able to make the best choice for this franchise.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, RWJ said:

No way in heck! I don't care if Donald Trump, Joe Biden or anyone in the NFL endorsed him.  I don't want him anywhere near this team. I know there will be a lot of laughs and i understand that but I'm not laughing, nor will I respond anymore on Raheem Morris as HC.  Now, let me cool down and move along.  :)  

Raheem Morris hired as the HC at this point of where this team is on the field and probably close to 70% of the roster will be different and much younger should he be named the HC it would be just bluh and honestly very much the norm… I still can’t wrap my thoughts around him so being sought after…. shoot I’d rather pull someone from the grave like Brian Billick or Greg Williams then settle for Morris…. I’m hoping all this Morris talk is nothing more then to get the scent off of Slowik or Johnson as HC 

Edited by Command The 414
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, FrFan said:

I'm on the Johson bandwagon, but if the FO decides to sign another one I won't be mad since I trust them to be able to make the best choice for this franchise.

This is a big point.  It's got to be right for Peter's and his vision to move this org together and in the right direction.  I like Johnson, Slowik whoever but we need to prepare for any of the candidates.  This next HC has to have the same vision and be able to work along side of Peters.

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, FrFan said:

I hope everyone is this rational if it doesn't happen and doesn't turn on the franchise early. 

But if it does happen, great!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Would you work for a man that has said and done some crazy and I mean crazy things to HCs, GMs and fans?  He fired a legit and decent HC in Frank Reich not even into a full season.  Money isn't everything, ThatNFLChick.  We could be talking about another hot HC looking for a job and I think they have to seriously look at what they are getting themselves into with Tepper.  Don't you think?  

• Like 1

I want an offensive coach because of the gameday competitive advantage it gives you, but at this point I'll trust the Peters regime.

The only coaches I'd truly hate are Bellicheck and Harbaugh. Just too damn old and dinosaur-y.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Command The 414 said:

Raheem Morris hired as the HC at this point of where this team is on the field and probably close to 70% of the roster will be different and much much younger should he be named the HC it would be so just bluh and honestly very much the norm… I still can’t wrap my thoughts around him so being sought after…. shoot I rather pull someone from the grave like Brian Billick or Greg Williams then settle for Morris…. I’m hoping all this Morris talk is nothing more then to get the scent of Slowik or Johnson as HC 

Roster turnover will likely be closer to 40% than 70%. 

Morris wouldn’t be my first choice - but I’d be totally fine with him as the hire personally, depending on who he brought in as OC and QB coach. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

If the Eagles are dumb enough to fire Sirianni 1 year after taking them to the SB, they deserve whatever Jabroni they get

Something happened internally to the Eagles after a 10-1 start.  Injuries hurt but who should be held accountable.  HC or GM or both?  

12 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Would you work for a man that has said and done some crazy and I mean crazy things to HCs, GMs and fans?  He fired a legit and decent HC in Frank Reich not even into a full season.  Money isn't everything, ThatNFLChick.  We could be talking about another hot HC looking for a job and I think they have to seriously look at what they are getting themselves into with Tepper.  Don't you think?  

I don't know Ben Johnson. Tom Pelissero said he turned down Head Coaching opportunities last year for personal reasons and things he had going on in his life (and also loyalty to Dan Campbell and straight up feeling like he wasn't ready to be a head coach).

Maybe he chooses where he wants to coach based on personal reasons we aren't aware of this time? Maybe he wants to be closer to family? Maybe he wants more personnel control than we can offer? Carolina isn't the only place, he has 6 interview requests from teams. Maybe he likes Atlanta's skill position players more? Or he likes that the Chargers already have a stud QB in Herbert? Maybe he loves Will Levis and wants to coach him?

I don't think we can act like we know what will factor into his decision or anyone else's. We have no idea. I think people are taking the "Washington looks like the most desirable place" and running with it without factoring in other things that might effect these decisions. 

Edited by ThatNFLChick
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

If the Eagles are dumb enough to fire Sirianni 1 year after taking them to the SB, they deserve whatever Jabroni they get

Be careful what you wish for. That would be BY FAR the best job available and Ben Johnson would be dumb to not take it if offered. And his scheme with the Eagles talent would be brutal for a long time. 

• Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

😂

Ben Volin covers the NFL for The Boston Globe and is also hearing Johnson in connection to the Commanders. But he also brought up Smith’s name in a recent appearance on “The Sports Junkies” on 106.7 The Fan in Washington, D.C.

“You look at how Harris runs some of his other teams, it’s the young, analytics-based guys, and Peters is 44 and comes from the organization that everyone wants to try to emulate right now,” Volin said via Lou DiPietro of Audacy.

“I gotta think that they’re gonna look for a similar profile with their head coach. It looks like they probably want a young, good-looking offensive coach. The two names that you keep hearing are Ben Johnson, who several teams want him, and then Frank Smith, the offensive coordinator for the Miami Dolphins, who has been getting a lot of buzz – I actually heard a few weeks ago that he might be the favorite in Washington – but I think it will come down to that type of coach. It’s a new day in Washington.”

If Peters and the Commanders do prefer Johnson, MacDonald, Slowik or any of the other coaches whose teams remain in the playoffs, he can take his time. That would favor someone like Smith having the chance to interview with Washington.

Will it happen? It seems unlikely, but Peters may view things differently based on feedback he’s received from others he trusts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TheGoodBits said:

Be careful what you wish for. That would be BY FAR the best job available and Ben Johnson would be dumb to not take it if offered. And his scheme with the Eagles talent would be brutal for a long time. 

Philly is about to lose a ton of guys to retirement.  Plus that roster is full of divas so I'm not sure if that's the best job out there, but it is a good team

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

This is a big point.  It's got to be right for Peter's and his vision to move this org together and in the right direction.  I like Johnson, Slowik whoever but we need to prepare for any of the candidates.  This next HC has to have the same vision and be able to work along side of Peters.

That’s why I think slowik is 1A… he worked with peters from 2017-2022. My assumption is that they have a good rapport, but that could very well be incorrect.

regarding morris- I wouldn’t jump if he was the hire, but it’s uninspiring compared to Johnson/slowik.

dan Quinn is a hard pass. He was in the right place at the right time in Seattle; he has proven in the decade since that he’s no 4D chess player. Giving up 48 to GB this weekend speaks volumes.

staley- I don’t understand the love. Similar to Quinn, he was right place right time with the Rams when that defense was absolutely stacked. His defenses with the Chargers had a lot more talent than we currently do and they were just as bad. I listen to a small podcast where one of the hosts, Geoff feinberg, is a die hard chargers fan and if you heard his weekly rants about Staley over the past two seasons you wouldn’t want him anywhere near here.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

😂

Ben Volin covers the NFL for The Boston Globe and is also hearing Johnson in connection to the Commanders. But he also brought up Smith’s name in a recent appearance on “The Sports Junkies” on 106.7 The Fan in Washington, D.C.

“You look at how Harris runs some of his other teams, it’s the young, analytics-based guys, and Peters is 44 and comes from the organization that everyone wants to try to emulate right now,” Volin said via Lou DiPietro of Audacy.

“I gotta think that they’re gonna look for a similar profile with their head coach. It looks like they probably want a young, good-looking offensive coach. The two names that you keep hearing are Ben Johnson, who several teams want him, and then Frank Smith, the offensive coordinator for the Miami Dolphins, who has been getting a lot of buzz – I actually heard a few weeks ago that he might be the favorite in Washington – but I think it will come down to that type of coach. It’s a new day in Washington.”

If Peters and the Commanders do prefer Johnson, MacDonald, Slowik or any of the other coaches whose teams remain in the playoffs, he can take his time. That would favor someone like Smith having the chance to interview with Washington.

Will it happen? It seems unlikely, but Peters may view things differently based on feedback he’s received from others he trusts.

My number 3 choice has entered the chat.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

So me and @Voice_of_Reason and who else here isn't jumping off a bridge if they hire Raheem?  He's #4 on my list so I have ones I prefer over him.  But it doesn't feel like a disaster hire to me.   It feels like @RWJ is warming up to him though. 😎

https://www.si.com/nfl/rams/news/los-angeles-rams-coach-raheem-morris-candidate-commanders-chargers-lions-playoffs

"He's been the same great coach that I've always known. He's a great leader. He elevates people and situations that he's a part of and I think that's the greatest sign of leadership," McVay said about Morris. "We always talk about trying to help guys reach and realize their highest potential. I think we're seeing a lot of growth and development from a lot of people that he has an influence on."

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2024/1/8/24030435/rams-raheem-morris-commanders-head-coach-interview

Though the Rams defense has not been elite, Morris is a Super Bowl-winning coordinator and he took over the cheapest and least experienced roster in the NFL in 2023 on defense and helped L.A. make the playoffs by ranking roughly average in most categories. It is probably more impressive that Morris has an average defense with this roster than if he had a top-5 defense with a group that had many $20 million per year players and first round picks.

Aaron Donald is the only former first or second round pick on the Rams entire defense.

If the ownership group with heavy input and involvement from Peters decides Morris is the best among the available candidates, then he would have my full support until proven otherwise.

I also have to say, it has been reported a million times that EB never got a head coaching job mainly because he didn't interview well. And now everyone is fine with the idea of zeroing in on (and even suggesting a deal has been in the works) one head coaching candidate before an in-person interview is even conducted?

I have a list of people I like for sure but I want them to go through the FULL process with everyone and pick whomever beat fits their vision. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1