Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

Just now, RWJ said:

And if Washington wants Johnson they can't match Tipper, I mean Tepper and beat his offer?  

Question will be is he that much better than other guys they're going to interview?  What if he fails as a HC?  Does a rookie HC unbalance the normal HC pay scale?  Is some ridiculous amount for him more than Peters is getting paid?  

We'll see...it's going to be much watch TV next week if the Lions lose!  LOL

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've never worked for a billionaire.  But I've worked for my share of multi millionaires -- 8 figures.  And some of them are just convinced they will get their way whatever it is in a negotiation including doing what it takes, overpaying, etc.  I can just imagine with billionaries.

Dan even while was unpopular had a spell where he'd overpay and for coaches offer control. He'd give more than others were willing to give. Heck Marty said he'd never work for Dan but then changed gears after a big payday and control.

Keim specifically mentioned in his podcast what if Ben wants some power-control and if that's a variable in the mix.

I think we likely get Ben Johnson if we want him but am not in the camp that Tepper has no shot.

Tepper has a bad reputation as of late. Money is not always the cure for someone like Tepper who MIGHT be toxic.  Does one think!?  

3 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I'm not sure there are people who think he has no shot just that their situation is not anywhere near as appealing as ours so they're an underdog, kind of like how we'd have been 5 years ago trying to get a top young coach over the 49ers.

Johnson did also turn them down last year, which doesn't mean he won't go there, he might have just not wanted to be a head coach yet but it's another sign he may not want to go there.

He didn't just turn them down though. He turned down the Panthers, Colts and Texans last year and that is when the Panthers had the 1st pick and the Texans had the 2nd pick. He just wanted to stay with the Lions another year. 

Edited by ThatNFLChick
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Question will be is he that much better than other guys they're going to interview?  What if he fails as a HC?  Does a rookie HC unbalance the normal HC pay scale?  Is some ridiculous amount for him more than Peters is getting paid?  

We'll see...it's going to be much watch TV next week if the Lions lose!  LOL

Remember I posted the cost of HCs and said $10 - $11 Million a year?  

7 minutes ago, RWJ said:

And if Washington wants Johnson they can't match Tipper, I mean Tepper and beat his offer?  

We can match money if we want to. Its debatable if you should if its like 15 Mil, but we can. We can't however provide personnel power as that goes to Peters or North Carolina itself if he values going home.

4 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

He didn't just turned them down though. He turned down the Panthers, Colts and Texans last year too and that is when the Panthers has the 1st pick and the Texans had the 2nd pick. He just wanted to stay with the Lions another year. 

I believe I clarified that, but my point was he did turn them down.

We don't know if he would have turned down a better offer or if he just didn't like those three openings and decided to stay for that reason.

If it really is true that his dream is to coach in Carolina you'd think he would have taken that interview as there would be no way of knowing if him being available at the same time as that opening would ever occur again. 

Edited by redskinss

50 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Who knows who we get but I'm sure he'll get a good one.  I think if Harbaugh jumps to Chargers, that takes out a big perceived competitor for any of the sought after ones.

That’s pretty big news. If Chargers want Jim then BJ’s almost a lock for us. Easily the 2 best jobs openings on the market. I don’t think it’s close. Vegas wants Pierce, as they should, he was excellent.  Seattle is the next best option imo. Do you like the QB situation there if you’re a hit coordinator? Not sure, but that’s a great place to live and coach.

I am not sure Johnson will take the gig in Carolina if he thinks he is unable to rehabilitate Young.  I mean anyone taking the HC job in NC has to be clear with the impatient Tepper that this can't be a one and done season. Period.  And if he can't get the production out of Young, he needs to have the ability to bring in his own guy. I really think depending upon how those conversations go, will determine if Johnson considers going there even even if he is offered a blank check.

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sure, people have the right to their opinion, I agree.  I have some outlier opinions on things.  But when I do, I know its an outlier.  Trading out of the pick and skipping QB is not just an outlier take, its a big time outlier take.  It's not a 50-50 thing.    I've been here a long time.  The trade out of the pick and skip QB notion is probably for me the opinion from MY perspective is the 2nd most wild one I've read that's been pushed here in all those years.  For me its not even a debate, its crazy.   But that's me. 

People talk here and there about the analytics and how these guys like to trade back.  That's true.  But its 100% not true in one context. That context is when you are drafting high and you need a QB.  The anayltics types I've listened to are even more obsessed than anyone here as to the notion of QBs win in this league and take that lottery ticket the rare time you have it -- its not even a debate in their minds when they discuss it.  Some of them are already talking about this being a rare potential get out of jail card for this team, a rare stroke of luck -- the idea that this team would be too scared to take it isn't even a concept to them.  It's not for me either.  I got no fear that it happens.

The best analogy I can think of is we never eat at the top restaurants.  That's for other teams to enjoy.  We finally get a coupon to go and we ponder what if the meal is dissappointing.  What if we can trade that one meal for 3 meals at Outback which is more our speed.

I think there is some PTSD from the Rivera era where the supporting cast got weak where in turn people forgot we've had plenty of rodeos with strong supporting casts under Dan.  We've had good receivers.  We've had good O lines.  We have had good defenses.  We've had good running backs.  Yet this team has been irrelevant because of QB.  The idea of maybe returning to the sweet spot under Dan -- that 8-7-1 and 9-7 back to back seasons as a goal to shoot for is beyond depressing to me.  And that's IMO what skipping QBs and trading down means.

The only way I am good with trade down but with the caveat that as much as I like Peters I'd want him fired if he gets this wrong -- is something like this.  He believes Maye-Daniels aren't as good as name that other QB like Penix, McCarthy whomever and trades down and grabs one of them.  While I'd be skeptical of the move, it doesn't feel crazy.  Skipping QB totally feels nuts to me -- it will feel to ME like a total embracement of the Dan era from a pure football sense -- and that's why I think the odds it happens is about as close to zero as it gets.

Tuesday, I think

But you keep leaving out good QB's or no.1 picks here that did not put us over the top. 3 no.1 picks , Kirk, many quality FA's at times too, when we had quality lines, WR's,RB's. It's not a slam dunk that if you draft top 3 you get your man, stats back that up. Almost all starting QB's were drafted 6th pick and down.  It's a risk either way. A no.2 pick if they are wrong is just going to be the same old. It's in the new GM's hands and I am on board for what ever they do. If it's a top 3 QB fine with me, not going to lose any sleep on the other hand if they do not. If it is a trade or trade down WR, what ever works. Keep your options open.

Edited by skinsfan66

1 minute ago, skinsmania123 said:

I am not sure Johnson will take the gig in Carolina if he thinks he is unable to rehabilitate Young.  I mean anyone taking the HC job in NC has to be clear with the impatient Tepper that this can't be a one and done season. Period.  And if he can't get the production out of Young, he needs to have the ability to bring in his own guy. I really think depending upon how those conversations go, will determine if Johnson considers going there even even if he is offered a blank check.

What if he loves Bryce Young and thinks he has a ton of potential?

DC is not that much further from NC, just saying.  LOL

On a serious note Johnson is very interperspective in talking about last year to this year related to fundamentals/details.  I can see why he's a top HC candidate.

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ThatNFLChick said:

What if he loves Bryce Young and thinks he has a ton of potential?

Then he will probably take the job. That is my point. There has to be flexibility. Cause if he does not think he is his guy, would you put your first HC reputation on a guy you did not believe in? Probably not which is why you need the caveat.  

Ben johnson is also a young fairly inexperienced guy, unlike Belichick and Harbaugh.

This is just a guess but I'd imagine he'll probably want a top flight management structure to help him grow as a coach and take some of the responsibilities and burdens off of himself so he can focus more on x's and o's rather than wanting full control and having it all put on him.

In almost every possible way we are a better situation for a bright young inexperienced coach than being dumped into a lousy situation and having it all put on you, that's a recipe for disaster.

51 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

B.  He said slow the roll on Ben Johnson.  He said he's heard great things about Ben but he's not a slam dunk as to wanting to come here.  And the interviews with all coaching prospects will be factors.  Keim didn't say he's not getting this job but suggested its up in the air from what he's heard.

Slowik was the name being touted by one of the Journo’s wasn’t it

The Carolina Panther organization can be looked upon like us back in the Snyder days.  It may be worse with the temper tantrums of Tepper.  Does someone really want to go there and be a GM let alone a HC knowing Hothead Tepper could fire them in 1 or 2 years?  Job stability is important.  I really think Carolina, even home to Johnson might take a backburner to being in DC which is a hop, skip and puddle jump flight away to NC.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Est.1974 said:

Slowik was the name being touted by one of the Journo’s wasn’t it

Good point, 74 but IF Peters and ownership want Johnson, I think he's the guy and signs here.  JMOT.  

• Like 2

The reality is we don't know what Johnson wants or is looking for. Maybe he wants a team that already has a QB like his situation in Detroit? Maybe he wants more control? Maybe he wants a team that is only one piece away? We really don't know about him or other candidates. We also don't know if he will be Peters first choice after they meet.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RWJ said:

The Carolina Panther organization can be looked upon like us back in the Snyder days.  It may be worse with the temper tantrums of Tepper.  Does someone really want to go there and be a GM let alone a HC knowing Hothead Tepper could fire them in 1 or 2 years?  Job stability is important.  I really think Carolina, even home to Johnson might take a backburner to being in DC which is a hop, skip and puddle jump flight away to NC.  

• Like 6
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

The reality is we don't know what Johnson wants or is looking for. Maybe he wants a team that already has a QB like his situation in Detroit? Maybe he wants more control? Maybe he wants a team that is only one piece away? We really don't know about him or other candidates. We also don't know if he will be Peters first choice after they meet.

Well Peters clearly said the right things in his interviews. I’d draw assumptions from the fact he was instantly hired, so his view plus ownerships view must align……

• Thumb up 1