Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

Ill be shocked and bummed if Mayhew is retained. Our drafting has been horrible. Sure maybe it was all Ron but I see folks here knowing more about the players on our roster than anyone Snyder selected.

Nothing wrong with Mayhew being retained. Mayhew worked with Peters in SF, has institutional knowledge, and insights on the roster - this will be very helpful to Peters, so that he can hit the ground running. My sense is that Mayhew will serve as a sounding board, since he has decades experience as a GM, as a player, a law degree, etc. Never a bad idea to keep some old staff around to provide perspective around what the thinking was in previous years. This can only help Peters as a decision maker. If it doesn't pan out after a year, then they can simply let Mayhew go.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Well, Kyle is making $14 million a year and hasn't won a SB.  Salaries continue to skyrocket for HCs and GMs.  It wouldn't shock me to see a $10 million dollar a year contract for Johnson.  He's the most coveted right now.  

You got me.  I don't know.  But I do know his agent shot down that story.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

If you take a look outside the top talent, it's significantly lower.  Given he's 1st year and inexperienced, I would suspect it's half that but we'll see.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/how-much-nfl-head-coaches-make-exploring-5-highest-lowest-paid-coaches-2023

As of 2023, the average NFL head coach earns approximately $6.6 million annually

Respectfully, HigSkin due to his popularity and salary explosion for HCs and GMs I think he gets $10 million a year with Shanny's boy getting $14 million a year and no SB to speak of. 

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

You got me.  I don't know.  But I do no his agent shot down that story.

Yes, I remember now.  Thanks, SIP.  :)  

Anyone remember when Lord Farquaad made Spurrier the highest paid coach at $5m...and then refused to offer any incentives to Beathard over a measly $500k.

The fact that we are hiring a coveted GM candidate rather than scraping dog**** off the unemployment line that nobody else would touch is by itself a great leap forward.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

The sample size for Howell is quite small. I'm not saying I think this how it plays out but it's worth talking about. I think the coaching staff was so bad this year. It's hard to truly make that call. Time will tell.

Howell is smallish, has some good attributes but nothing great.  If his upside was high then I think you can write off this season.   

I've defended Howell to death on this site.   I still think he has a chance.

But as enthusiastic as I am about this season coming up and potential for it if they decided to run it back with Howell it would take a lot of wind out of my sails.  And judging by fan polls it would be a downer for many other fans, too.

Not that I think they need to pander to fans.  But speaking for myself It would be cringe worthy for me if they skipped a QB in this draft.  I think the chance it happens is like 1% so am not worried about it though.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Respectfully, HigSkin due to his popularity and salary explosion for HCs and GMs I think he gets $10 million a year with Shanny's boy getting $14 million a year and no SB to speak of. 

No disrespect, I just think he might be more in that Nick Sirianni range of $6-7 mil.  Like I said we'll see

😂😂

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

The previous HC was let go on Monday and Peters is hired by the end of the week.  The power of Harris can't be underestimated.  Here's hoping that Peters make a similar pitch to Ben Johnson in the weeks to come.  This franchise is trending upward for the 1st time in a long time

Edited by NoVaSkins21
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not that I think they need to pander to fans.  But speaking for myself It would be cringe worthy for me is they skipped a QB in this draft.  I think the chance it happens is like 1% so am not worried about it though.  

I totally get it. You don't get the #2 pick very often so you definitely need to get the most value which is QB. It would be interesting to see a true QB competition during camp.

• Like 1

This we know, it may or may not have any bearing on Peters but Rick Spielman has a big-time man crush on Caleb Williams.  I hope that Spielman doesn't try to influence Peters decision and Harris doesn't get too involved.  Let Peters pick his guy.  

Just now, peanut0862 said:

Did we request an interview with Steve Wilks? There was a post a few pages back of an interview with Peters and he raved about Wilks. So maybe he could be a contender

The security guy for Jerry Springer who went on to have his own talk show? Big,  charismatic? Sure. But I don't think he's head coach material. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I know how trusted he was by John and [then Broncos director of player personnel] Matt [Russell] and everyone in the organization and was recognized as a good evaluator,” said Broncos director of college scouting Brian Stark, who worked with Peters for six seasons in Denver. “I’ve seen firsthand a lot of the players that he was high on and voiced his opinion for that have ended up being really good players.”

Stark recalled how Peters was especially good at building relationships with and managing his scouts. During the Broncos’ trip to the Bay Area for Super Bowl 50, Peters organized a trip for the scouting staff to go on a wine tasting.

When John Lynch left Fox Sports to become the 49ers’ GM in 2017, he made Peters his first hire — without even interviewing him — as vice president of player personnel.

“In certain rooms, you can tell when certain people are allowed to speak, and Adam was one of those guys they wanted to hear from,” Lynch said in 2017. “I remember saying to John [Elway], ‘Hey, this guy’s good, huh?’ And he said, ‘Oh, yeah, very good.’ ”

“Bill Belichick kind of gives praise grudgingly,” Lynch added, “and he thinks very highly of Adam.”

Peters has been Lynch’s right-hand man since, helping San Francisco build a talent-laden roster that won the NFC championship in 2019 and the NFC West title the past two seasons. This season, nine 49ers players were selected to the Pro Bowl, and five were voted to the Associated Press’s all-pro first team.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2024/01/12/adam-peters-commanders-gm/

• Like 5

1 minute ago, peanut0862 said:

Did we request an interview with Steve Wilks? There was a post a few pages back of an interview with Peters and he raved about Wilks. So maybe he could be a contender

I saw that and was going to post it.  Ben Johnson has been super media driven.  To some extent, the media much smaller on Wilks.  If they go for a DC for HC, it should be MacDonald from Baltimore hands down, IMO.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

Caveat being you don’t know about a draft class for 2-3 years, but after the midway point in the first preseason game there will be declarations of “complete bust” for at least some draft picks.  

By Halloween, any rookie not playing at a probowl level will be labeled a bust. 

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I know how trusted he was by John and [then Broncos director of player personnel] Matt [Russell] and everyone in the organization and was recognized as a good evaluator,” said Broncos director of college scouting Brian Stark, who worked with Peters for six seasons in Denver. “I’ve seen firsthand a lot of the players that he was high on and voiced his opinion for that have ended up being really good players.”

Stark recalled how Peters was especially good at building relationships with and managing his scouts. During the Broncos’ trip to the Bay Area for Super Bowl 50, Peters organized a trip for the scouting staff to go on a wine tasting.

When John Lynch left Fox Sports to become the 49ers’ GM in 2017, he made Peters his first hire — without even interviewing him — as vice president of player personnel.

“In certain rooms, you can tell when certain people are allowed to speak, and Adam was one of those guys they wanted to hear from,” Lynch said in 2017. “I remember saying to John [Elway], ‘Hey, this guy’s good, huh?’ And he said, ‘Oh, yeah, very good.’ ”

“Bill Belichick kind of gives praise grudgingly,” Lynch added, “and he thinks very highly of Adam.”

Peters has been Lynch’s right-hand man since, helping San Francisco build a talent-laden roster that won the NFC championship in 2019 and the NFC West title the past two seasons. This season, nine 49ers players were selected to the Pro Bowl, and five were voted to the Associated Press’s all-pro first team.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2024/01/12/adam-peters-commanders-gm/

No doubting, SIP.  We hired the very best GM out there.  To me a modern day Bobby Beathard with his eye for talent in mid-late rounds most especially!  :)  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

That's the ES way.

It won’t be just here.  It will be all the idiotic media dumbasses who will feed the fire and takes calls and feed the echo chamber of incompetence. 

5 minutes ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

I guess it's possible to bring back Rivera as a quarterback. He couldn't be any worse at that than he was as head coach!!

Ironically, he might have been the best LB on the team. At 60.  

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Be ironic if its Ben Johnson and they draft Maye.  Working two North Carolina QBs at once.

Yeah I am getting the vibe too that Jay Gruden's (among others) comparisons of Howell to Minshew isn't crazy.   I had some optimism about Howell when he had those three big games in the middle of the season.  But him fading since the first Dallas game along with me not thinking his upside is very high -- makes me wonder if his ceiling is anything greater than being a middle of the road starter.  I do think at a minimum he's a good backup.

I'd gag if they ran it back with Howell as the #1 QB.  But I'd suck it up and let it play out.  I doubt it happens though.  I'd say 5% chances tops.

Goff had some really good seasons in LA.  Howell has had one below average season.

Johnson is a UNC guy 

4 hours ago, Command The 414 said:

I’m not here to debate with you cause I’m in total agreement with your above stated facts, but on the reverse side he also got Stephan Davis in the 4th round out of Auburn who as we know was very good here and also signed probably the best QB we’ve had here not named Cousins in Brad Johnson, so while he had bad draft picks he also had some good moves too, I think it’s always a 50/50 when it comes to this type of stuff…. 

Not to pile on too hard here, but Casserly didn't sign Brad Johnson. He traded a first, second, AND third round pick for him. All because he actively chose to not re-sign Trent Green.

https://www.nytimes.com/1999/02/16/sports/plus-pro-football-minnesota-johnson-is-traded-to-the-redskins.html

Oh, that first rounder he traded for Johnson? The Vikings selected Daunte Culpepper. So the options were:

(1) resign Trent Green and keep first, second, and third round picks;

(2) draft Daunte Culpepper and keep second and third round picks; or

(3) trade all picks for Brad Johnson.

And that's supposed to be one of his good moves?

I'll give you Stephen Davis though. That's at least one good draft pick in ten years.

Edited by Jericho
  • Like 2

Up until Champ Bailey, EVERY FIRST ROUNDER Casserly picked was a bust. The best one was Kenard Lang, who finally started for one year under Schotferbrains and managed to be average.

Casserly left the Redskins with the very worst OL in the NFL, and then he went to Houston...where they finished with the very worst OL in the NFL.... coincidence?  Beathard, not Casserly, put together those Super Bowl teams. Casserly may get official credit for 91, but about his only contribution was trading for a DT and drafting Brian Mitchell. Rypien, the Posse, the Hogs, etc. were all brought in earlier by Beathard.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1