Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Al Michaels claims to have never eaten a vegetable

Cooked Crack

3 hours ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

I absolutely love brussel sprouts and have since I was a child.  I’ve got a full 30+ years of sprout love before hipsters started deep frying them.

It’s just cabbage tho.  Par-boil/nuke it and then go hot with some olive oil and garlic.  Never misses, Spiff.

When did you think your life would come to bragging about 30+ years of brussel sprout love on a football message board?

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

When did you think your life would come to bragging about 30+ years of brussel sprout love on a football message board?

And here’s to 30+ more years enjoying superfoods filled with mother natures goodness!

Now, start up the Toyota grocery-getter your wife let you buy, crank up your Van Hagar/Pearl Jam Peloton mix and head out to Zaxxy Maxxy’s for some Chernobyl Chicken* fingers.

*Or whatever it is you people eat.

• Haha 2

I used to be stringently opposed to vegetables but you realize if they're fried or sautéed they can be quite tasty. I will say though most of the time I used frozen vegetables. then people cry like YOU CAN'T DO THAT. well it's a pain in the ass to chop the with a knife and my old age my arthritis makes it very difficult to grasp a knife for that long. so lll mostly use frozen vegetables, mix in a little garlic, and it does wonders. 

want to also add because of said arthritis I also find myself using prechopped peppers and onions at Giant. 

4 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

want to also add because of said arthritis I also find myself using prechopped peppers and onions at Giant. 

Huge fan of prechopped onions. For scrambled eggs, and burgers. 

There's prechopped garlic, too. In jars. 

Edited by Larry
  • Like 1

No matter what I do, how much online research I do, I still haven't been able to find out how to chop an onion without tears. I guess you could wear a gas mask or something over your face to prevent the gas but it would just be way too wild. And you can't even dice them either. I hate onions. I eventually gave up and used a food processor to dice them because I sure can't do it with my knife.

Yes, prechopped onions are so good. Our wegmans here has everything frozen. Fajita peppers and vegetables, bite size mixed vegetables, peas, I just throw them in a hot pan and let them thaw out. Only issue is you may get residual water but it's no big deal.

I will say I've been given a lot of **** about not cooking fresh vegetables, well I don't know how and the knife skills are too poor to do it with arthritis. So **** that.

8 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

I used to be stringently opposed to vegetables but you realize if they're fried or sautéed they can be quite tasty. I will say though most of the time I used frozen vegetables. then people cry like YOU CAN'T DO THAT. well it's a pain in the ass to chop the with a knife and my old age my arthritis makes it very difficult to grasp a knife for that long. so lll mostly use frozen vegetables, mix in a little garlic, and it does wonders. 

Some vegetables like peas are actually best buying frozen. 

I also consider buying the pre-chopped veggies at Wegmans to be a huge luxury.  I often buy mirepoix that way. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz

Just now, PleaseBlitz said:

Some vegetables like peas are actually best buying frozen. 

People I know think it's all processed food or that eating frozen food is dangerous, well they're flash frozen. That means they're picked right at ripeness and frozen immediately. There's not even salt in them.

Personally I'll take the convenience of frozen vegetables any day over prepping vegetables with a knife.

On topic we have these "organic" brocolli florets from costco which are bland as ****. I put them in chickpea pasta the other day and the experience was rather forgettable. I still have like 5 bags of them so need to find a way to flavorize them big time. Perhaps throwing salt on them and drenching in soy sauce will do the trick.

34 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

On topic we have these "organic" brocolli florets from costco which are bland as ****. I put them in chickpea pasta the other day and the experience was rather forgettable. I still have like 5 bags of them so need to find a way to flavorize them big time. Perhaps throwing salt on them and drenching in soy sauce will do the trick.

Almost anything tastes better in garlic butter. 

• Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I will double down.

Brussel sprouts are the most underrated food.  Possibly tied with beets. 

Brussel sprouts are garbage, even now that they’ve modified them to not be bitter. Garbage.

Artichokes are underrated here and it’s easy to see why, as you lunatics slather them in so much extra crap that all you taste is whatever you put on them. Also, why do so many restaurants serve “artichoke” with plainly inedible leaves included in their heavy mix of flavored oil? If it’s not soft on an artichoke, you’re not supposed to eat it. 

Beets are under rated for sure. 

have you tried heart of palm? I’m not sure if they qualify as veggies but they’re really good.

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Learn how to cook. :)

My life is not an episode of iron chef or Chopped, where I endeavor to make questionable ingredients delicious. I simply buy better tasting ingredients and leave the mystery basket to others. 

1 minute ago, dfitzo53 said:

I love how this thread became "spout off about random vegetables to anyone who will listen."

Let’s keep that going. No one is championing kale yet. Remember when people were trying to pretend that trash wasn’t awful?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Destino said:

My life is not an episode of iron chef or Chopped, where I endeavor to make questionable ingredients delicious. I simply buy better tasting ingredients and leave the mystery basket to others. 

Let’s keep that going. No one is championing kale yet. Remember when people were trying to pretend that trash wasn’t awful?  

I'll champion kale for one thing...Southern Maryland stuffed ham.

5e8f8f3c95c36.image.jpg

Edited by Metalhead
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1