Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

G: Burning Man attendees roadblocked by climate activists: ‘They have a privileged mindset’

China

Burning Man attendees roadblocked by climate activists: ‘They have a privileged mindset’

The road into Burning Man is a rural, two-lane highway winding through north-west Nevada. Approximately 80,000 people make an annual pilgrimage to the beloved bacchanal, many hauling trailers and RVs across miles of scorching desert in order to make it to their fabled Gomorrah. This year, however, climate activists temporarily halted the influx of eager festivalgoers, blocking the road with a 28-foot trailer and causing a bumper-to-bumper traffic jam for over an hour. They clashed with outraged Burning Man attendees as well as Nevada rangers.

3552.jpg?width=1300&dpr=1&s=none

In recent years, Burning Man has drifted from its hippy roots and become better known for luxury RVs, wild orgies, and Silicon Valley bros. Protestors from the Seven Circles –a coalition of activists representing the climate groups Extinction Rebellion, Rave Revolution, and Scientist Rebellion – demanded that Burning Man ban private jets and single-use plastics, as well as unlimited generator and propane use. Signs painted with the slogans “Burners of the world, unite!”, “Mother Earth needs our help” and “System change” were erected around the blockade, while four activists chained themselves to the trailer and locked arms through PVC pipes.

The activists had driven to the site they’d chosen for the action in separate vehicles, stopping on the road while the driver of a trailer pulled ahead and turned to block both lanes. People in the cars stuck behind them initially believed there had been an accident, and they emerged from their vehicles asking if everyone was OK. The protesters scrambled to erect their signs and flags amid the confusion, and when onlookers realized it was a climate protest, many quickly became incensed, huffing back to their cars frustrated at the inconvenience. “They’re delusional, it’s idiocy,” fumed Molly, a festival attendee. “They think they’re going to fix climate change by blocking Burning Man? I don’t care what their argument is, they can go **** themselves.”

Click on the link for the full aritcle

People wonder why I have mud tires on my truck when I live in the desert.  This is why.  They work well enough in sand and rocks but the most likely place to get stuck is in mud when it does rain.  Hard pack two track roads in the boonies turn into a real challenge.  All wheel drive on your Subaru isn't gonna do.

If it keeps raining out there, which is forecast, I imagine they're going to have to helicopter in some supplies.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

On 9/1/2023 at 9:07 AM, ixcuincle said:

This the one where Nevada police barrelled through and broke it up 

I saw it on Instagram 😂

pretty sure those were tribal police. I had a good laugh at the idea of white folks showing up on native land to assert their rights and complaining they weren’t treated as kindly as they would have preferred. Keeping in mind, that no one seems to have actually been injured. 

3 hours ago, The 12th Commandment said:

People wonder why I have mud tires on my truck when I live in the desert.  This is why.  They work well enough in sand and rocks but the most likely place to get stuck is in mud when it does rain.  Hard pack two track roads in the boonies turn into a real challenge.  All wheel drive on your Subaru isn't gonna do.

If it keeps raining out there, which is forecast, I imagine they're going to have to helicopter in some supplies.  

I have spent no time in the desert, and I would never have even thought of this. Being ready for mud in the desert feels as incongruous to me as preparing for snow in the tropics. This serves as a good example of “you don’t know, what you don’t know.” 

• Like 2