Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

G: Burning Man attendees roadblocked by climate activists: ‘They have a privileged mindset’

China

Burning Man ravers dump trashed tents, gallons of urine and their own poo after mudbath

One of the 10 principles of Burning Man is "leave no trace" but locals say too many of this year's attendees have abandoned that ethos as they left the event.

Nearby residents say the grounds of Black Rock Desert has been strewn with waste as 73,000 revellers departed the area which had been mired by heavy downpours and the muddy aftermath.

Vehicles, trashed tents, bikes and even a beaten-up dresser have been left by Burners exiting the site, as they struggled to navigate the sodden terrain.

Pershing Sherriff Jerry Allen told the San Francisco Chronicle that garbage has been left “across several miles” of desert.

Athena LameBull, who lives on Pyramid Lake Paiute Reservation, about 70 miles from the Burning Man site, sets up dumpsters for exiting Burners, charging them $5 per bag in order to take their garbage.

She told The Post that she'd heard about the waste this year, and says business has been slow which she believes is a direct result of the amount that has been left behind.

“There are people who leave abandoned trailers along the highway; they break down, leave them and don’t even come after them," she said.

“I heard from people that they left their vehicles behind because of the mud. I’ve never seen so many people hitchhiking out of Burning Man. I saw them riding six to a truck this year.”

For all the rubbish left behind, there are some things that LameBull wishes did not leave the playa.

“We have a sign which states that we do not accept human waste,” she said. “Some people take cat litter to their camp, put faeces in it and bag it.

“And they come with five-gallon barrels of urine. We tell them that there is no way we will take faeces or urine. People do that instead of using the Burning Man outhouses. I don’t get it.”

She sets up free porta-potties in order to keep things clean, but even that can go only so far. “People will stop and s**t and pee by our bins,” she said. “We’ve caught people and bawled them out. You have to have to have some decency.”

Click on the link for the full article

• Thumb down 1