Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The all encompassing travel thread (for your tips, tricks, recs, questions, help).

The Evil Genius

4 hours ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Anybody have a recommendation for a voltage converter 220V to 110V? Headed to Curacao next weekend & just realized I need it at the hotel. Last time we were there the Renaissance didn't require it. 

https://www.amazon.com/EPICKA-Universal-Travel-Adapter-Power/dp/B078S3M2NX/ref=asc_df_B078S3M2NX/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=242022044358&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14884122022584315183&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9008162&hvtargid=pla-406734954913&psc=1&mcid=5d0347184f503567b3f68e2be7a59a7a&gclid=Cj0KCQiAnrOtBhDIARIsAFsSe504xj-HLfF0cOMK3OawEy7qVZaVsFladoOSV15Dg8mor_uXPQWmhHgaAs0HEALw_wcB

Is this what you're looking for? I use this for all my international travels and it works great....so many plugs for all my electronics

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Anyone familiar with Houston?  I have to go for work in March and may have a free evening. 

Prop your feet up on the AC and let it blow on your junk.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

29 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Anyone familiar with Houston?  I have to go for work in March and may have a free evening. 

Depends on where you are. I think they're up to 3 loops around the city so it's changed a lot since I was there. We used to say you'll find this in every strip mall there: liquor store, gun store, convenience store, strip joint.  

Make sure you pick the right airport to fly in/out of when you go. 

2 hours ago, China said:

Any recommendations for a trip to Germany/Austria?

https://www.pfaenderbahn.at/de/

The one where Jaws and Bond were duking it out and Jaws bit the cable.  Really neat zoo at the top.  I enjoyed that day.  Lake Constance and surrounding area is beautiful.  

Edited by The 12th Commandment

2 hours ago, China said:

What time of year? Some events such as Oktoberfest and Christmas Markets are pretty unique.

2 hours ago, China said:

Prop your feet up on the AC and let it blow on your wurst.

• Haha 1

On 1/21/2024 at 8:10 PM, PleaseBlitz said:

The Four Seasons there is pretty great and their lobby bar fills up with ballers and chicas after Rockets games.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

The Four Seasons there is pretty great and their lobby bar fills up with ballers and chicas after Rockets games.

In the early 90s, 60 minutes did a segment about the Houston Ritz. Local women would go to the bar hoping to meet up with the rich OK oil barons who came to Houston on business. About 6 months later I went to a seminar at the Ritz. Sure enough, the bar is loaded with beautiful single women sitting alone at the bar stools & tables in the club. I was married so it didn't matter but watching the evenings activities was amusing. One night I went to an Astros game at the Astrodome with a guy from the seminar. When we got back to the bar after the game the place was packed with 3 women for every dude. Good times...

• Thumb up 1

5 hours ago, Corcaigh said:

What time of year? Some events such as Oktoberfest and Christmas Markets are pretty unique.

Prop your feet up on the AC and let it blow on your wurst.

Yeah, we're planning to be there around the time of the Christmas markets.

5 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

We'll definitely be spending some time in Munich, so we'll see if we can fit that in.

3 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Lederhosen. 

I already have Lederhosen, but I'm too old and fat and they don't fit me anymore.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished an 18 day trip to Curacao (6 nights) & Aruba (12 nights). For you Marriott peeps, the Curacao Marriott is a great place to spend the week. First time staying there & we really enjoyed it. We stayed at a VRBO in Aruba. 

Unusual weather a couple of nights in Aruba - similar to storm season in the Fall. There were no boats/jets skis in the water for 2 days. Waves at Arashi beach were 8-10 feet. It was the most fun I've had in the ocean in years. 

IMG20240208144727.thumb.jpg.2aa1d18a0c9110f07ff216e4ed7dce5a.jpg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Wow I've never seen Palm Beach like that.  It's usually SUPER calm and flat with the turquoise colored water.

I love that island, it's so chill and so much fun and everyone is just so nice.

Yeah, it was pretty wild. It is a great place to chill. We met a lot of great people. The restaurant staff everywhere were awesome. Overnight hightide must have been 50-60' into the beaches in some areas. With lots of seaweed in Palm & Eagle beach.

IMG20240208130421.thumb.jpg.5cf5e17556cd7c20561c60c4c4442971.jpg

• Like 1

Where did you stay there?  I've stayed at Eagle beach every time I've gone aside from one time we rented a villa with 9 people that was past Palm Beach on the road that takes you to Arashi.  That was a wild trip...

12 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Where did you stay there?  I've stayed at Eagle beach every time I've gone aside from one time we rented a villa with 9 people that was past Palm Beach on the road that takes you to Arashi.  That was a wild trip...

We stayed downtown at Harbor House right in front of the cruise ships. We like downtown as a home base - have stayed several times at the Renaissance. We walked to their lobby bar & watched the final Carnival parade from their outdoor pool last Sunday before the Super Bowl. We've stayed at the Marriott timeshares several times at Palm but really enjoy downtown. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Heading to London and then Paris in late April. Where do you guys buy your foreign currency? Want to have a little carrying cash and previously used BoA when we went to Italy. Is that dumb? 

I went to WellsFargo before we went to see the Skins in London. No, I don't think it's dumb. 

Edited by EmirOfShmo
  • Thanks 1