Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Defector: The Last Page of the Internet (*eddit Articl)

Fergasun

Defector: The Last Page of the Internet

Gradually over the last decade, Reddit went from merely embarrassing but occasionally amusing, to actively harmful, to—mainly by accident—essential. As the platform that swallowed niche message boards, it became home to numerous small communities of surprisingly helpful enthusiasts, and grew into a repository of arcane knowledge about, and instantly available first-hand expertise on, a staggering number of topics, from the demographically predictable to the somewhat more surprising. And now that is all set to come to an ignominious, self-inflicted end.

Most of the time when I needed to find some piece of information, some answer to a question or need recently, I would fire up the old Google, target a phrase or keywords and then end it with "site:reddit.com".  I am a millenial.  I am used to the Internet as a tool for the free exchange of information between humans (mostly).  Aside from coming to this, odd niche corner of the world (and I will be honest, I follow the Commanders -- I ceased being die hard a while ago and sports ceased to be important as much a bit ago as well). 

I am concerned the Internet is losing... basically the last bastion us millenials have of the Internet (even if this forum isn't truly the only one for the DC NFL team). 

My kids mainly use the Internet for entertainment... not so much information. So now a lot of information will be fractured onto focussed forums. What happens in 5 years and how people respond to losing a huge "information market" (assuming the site continues its slow motion spiral)  will be interesting.  Note -  you can't search Twitter or Tik Tok for a specific video on a specific topic the way you can on YouTube.  

I love Reddit. You can find stuff about literally anything you are interested in. No, you may not check my search history. 🤪

I do not understand why citizens of the internet are so vehemently opposed to the websites they use, and which provide them with hours of free entertainment/troves of information, from finding ways to make a profit. If they can’t make money, eventually they will go away. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 1

Reddit is maybe a unique collection of advice from random individuals, but the Interent has no shortage of information or people explaining it.

RSS fell off, blogs, message boards, the Internet will survive the slow death spiral of social media as we know it.  It was specifically designed to survive worse then that.

Edited by Renegade7

22 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I love Reddit. You can find stuff about literally anything you are interested in. No, you may not check my search history. 🤪

I do not understand why citizens of the internet are so vehemently opposed to the websites they use, and which provide them with hours of free entertainment/troves of information, from finding ways to make a profit. If they can’t make money, eventually they will go away. 

I mean, reddit is a little fiefdom where dorks with no life amass great power and wield it to enforce their view of the world.

And also the corporate powers that be are about to do something to destroy the community by getting rid of the API that is used by not just 3rd party access apps (which apparently have accessibility features not otherwise available), but also to the moderation tools that are necessary to keep sub-reddits from being overrun by spam and bad actors.

I might look into joining Usenet.  That's what Ethan used to contact Job in Mission Impossible, right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wonder if Reddit when get more people to pay for it’s API  than Twitter is…. 

20 million is a lot, and seems to be an arbitrary number.

People are loosing their **** over having to go directly to Reddit or use the Reddit app?? Oh no, sound the alarm!

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84
  • Like 1

Here's the thing.  I never think when I post to Extremeskins, or Reddit, or anywhere else that my content, my post is now being used to train ChatAI.  That was never my intent.  Users are providing content to a platform.  I am not sure what the registration agreement is... but this is all intended to be "private use for the other users".  

With Reddit doing this it's like, 15 years of useful content down the drain?  Can I just purchase server space and create pointers to my server so that my thoughts, ideas, and information aren't monetized by someone else?  Maybe we need a new protocol that accomplishes this.  

On 6/15/2023 at 11:09 PM, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I wonder if Reddit when get more people to pay for it’s API  than Twitter is…. 

20 million is a lot, and seems to be an arbitrary number.

People are loosing their **** over having to go directly to Reddit or use the Reddit app?? Oh no, sound the alarm!

Well, my understanding is the $20 million is based on how much a third party company called Apollo would have to pay per year. The pricing is $12,000 per 50 million requests. 

This is what Apollo's Christian Selig (I think CEO?) said in his Reddit post about it:

Apollo made 7 billion requests last month, which would put it at about 1.7 million dollars per month, or 20 million US dollars per year. Even if I only kept subscription users, the average Apollo user uses 344 requests per day, which would cost $2.50 per month, which is over double what the subscription currently costs, so I'd be in the red every month.

I'm deeply disappointed in this price. Reddit iterated that the price would be A) reasonable and based in reality, and B ) they would not operate like Twitter. Twitter's pricing was publicly ridiculed for its obscene price of $42,000 for 50 million tweets. Reddit's is still $12,000. For reference, I pay Imgur (a site similar to Reddit in user base and media) $166 for the same 50 million API calls.

Apollo is probably going to have to shut down, as are at least one or two other third party apps that rely on Reddit's API. The price is absolutely nuts. And the fact that, as per the post above by @Cooked Crack, Huffman is apparently taking his cues from ****ing Elon Musk, it isn't all that surprising.

11 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

He seriously looked at what Elon's been doing with Twitter since buying it and said "Yeah, that's a good idea"?  People really do fail upwards.

It's like watching a 10 car pileup happen on the highway and saying to yourself "I think that's an excellent model for how I should operate my automobile"

Edited by mistertim

• 8 months later...

Reddit Files to Go Public, Reveals That It Paid CEO $193 Million Last Year

Nineteen years after its founding, the social media network Reddit filed paperwork to go public on Thursday. “I have never been more excited about Reddit’s future than I am right now,” CEO Steve Huffman said in a letter announcing the news. Last year, the company generated $804 million in revenue, up more than 20 percent compared to 2022. Public filings also showed that Huffman and Reddit’s chief operating officer, Jennifer Wong, were paid $286 million in 2023, including stock and option awards (the value accrues over several years, and the current cash value is substantially lower).

36 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

That's a lot of money to pay a CEO of a company that's not profitable.

This is Silicon Valley we're talking about.  Everyone's pre-revenue for like at least 10 years, than another 10 years to turn a profit (if they last that long)

36 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

This is Silicon Valley we're talking about.  Everyone's pre-revenue for like at least 10 years, than another 10 years to turn a profit (if they last that long)

Yeah, but isn't that when your CEO is living in poverty until you strike it rich at IPO?