Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Offseason Mini Camp, OTA’s, Training Camp Discussion Thread: Hallelujah, Josh Harris & Co. Era Edition

Conn

Martin doesn't look nearly ready enough right now to do anything remotely useful on the field.  Troy was trying to figure out how to crush him for bad coverage after he magically got an INT and returned it 59 yards.  This is the type of ritual sacrifice/rabbit foot thing that happened to REDACTED henceforth known as Hallock, (Happy @Califan007 The Constipated?) was known for. You certainly can't count on anything from him right now.  After the season?  We'll see.  Certainly you can't close the book on a guy after 2 preseason games.  But you can say "yeah, he's still a big work in progress."

If we weren't in some bizarre "evaluation of everyone" situation, I would actually extend Fuller.  Not trade him. You don't take a deep position and make it less deep. You keep depth.  He won't be expensive to extend, and having a good, veteran backup CB, at worst, would be a fantastic luxury to have.  They won't do this, but they probably should.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I liked his college tape a lot.  But I still thought it was a luxury pick at the time.   For a FO that can force need based draft picks, Jamn Davis being a good example of that -- it surprises me how laid back they were about the offense.

They are grooming a young QB, have some more urgency in helping the dude.  If Ron doesnt believe in the O linemen in the draft than how about TE?

The Giants are raving about Hyatt, JMS and Banks who are sure fire starters this season.  Hawkins is likely their 4th starter from this class, maybe Owens, too.  So the Giants with 3-5 starters from the class for this season in all likelihood.  With us with 1 starter for 2023.

And in addition they are touting their move for Waller as a game changer for their offense.  And Campbell also with a big camp.

we can talk about all the contributions we are going to get in 2024 but for now as to starters in 2023 it looks like the Giants kicked our asses in this latest draft and in the off season in general.  

I am not a Daniel Jones guy so i am hoping he holds them back.

I like Jones and think he has a break out season this year, now that they've given him an offense to work with.

JMS and Herbig were my two guys this draft that I wanted to come away with. I was on the DB later in the draft train.

• Thumb down 1

49 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Yeah he has a stupid good Avg this preseason, but that happens for most RBs w/ any kind of power or burst in PS. They are built to look like Gods when you put them on a field with a bunch of backups who cant tackle or fill lanes. The strong guys fall forward and the fast guys run around them

C Rob had a 6.2 avg vs the ravens

Gore had a 7.5 avg

J Will had a 7.7

Crazy numbies. You put any of these guys on the field vs backups and they will drag guys like they are tied behind a car.

Even backup RBs are some of the best athletes on the field and it really shows in PS.

I like C Rob a lot tho. His fundamentals are really strong. He also looks to have more receiving chops than B-Rob.

I don't think he has B-Robs power tho... not yet anyway.

Is there a nickname for Chris Rodriguez that I don't know about? Ro'B'rigeuz?

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

I like Jones and think he has a break out season this year, now that they've given him an offense to work with.

JMS and Herbig were my two guys this draft that I wanted to come away with. I was on the DB later in the draft train.

Really don't know what to expect from Jones, but he's clearly one of the more interesting storylines from "known quantity" QB's in the league (excludes Ridder, Pickett, Howell, rookies, etc). I'm neutral on him, and I think he could be stymied by teams now knowing he's a real threat with his legs. 700 rushing yards and 7 rushing TD's is really up there for QB's. Will he be as effective if defenses start treating him more like a normal rushing QB?

Broderick Jones is iffier (and supposedly not pushing for a starting role), but the Steelers draft class is kind of a dream. Joey Porter, Keanu Benton, Darnell Washington, and Nate Herbig with the next 4 picks? I want a time machine to fast forward 3 years, because I think that draft class is going to set up the Steelers with oodles of talent. Like the Saints 2017 draft class that propelled them into contention for a few years.

Joey Porter was my #1 CB. With no trades, if I had drafted instead of our FO, I would have taken Porter at #16 and then Mauch at #47.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Really don't know what to expect from Jones, but he's clearly one of the more interesting storylines from "known quantity" QB's in the league (excludes Ridder, Pickett, Howell, rookies, etc). I'm neutral on him, and I think he could be stymied by teams now knowing he's a real threat with his legs. 700 rushing yards and 7 rushing TD's is really up there for QB's. Will he be as effective if defenses start treating him more like a normal rushing QB?

Broderick Jones is iffier (and supposedly not pushing for a starting role), but the Steelers draft class is kind of a dream. Joey Porter, Keanu Benton, Darnell Washington, and Nate Herbig with the next 4 picks? I want a time machine to fast forward 3 years, because I think that draft class is going to set up the Steelers with oodles of talent. Like the Saints 2017 draft class that propelled them into contention for a few years.

Joey Porter was my #1 CB. With no trades, if I had drafted instead of our FO, I would have taken Porter at #16 and then Mauch at #47.

Being that we already had starters, Ringo and Ricks we're the two CBs I wanted (both went to the Eagles and look decent, Ricks undrafted)

Steelers did have a great draft. LBer core with Herbig and Watt able to rush is pretty good. Like the Eagles now with Riddick and Nolan Smith. I just wanted one freaking LBer who can pass rush this draft, but we ignored it, despite listing it as a priority need.

Jones now has a bunch of weapons and a much improved Oline, so his running is going to be harder to defend against. If he can get better as a QB, that team is going to contend. 

7 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Quan sure looked gassed on his INT. Sure he ran laterally as well so he ran maybe 80 yards? but it looked like... me out there lumbering before going down.

Well, plus the distance ran in coverage…

and just running 100+ yards is quite a bit different than doing it when your adrenaline is spiked, lol.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

"For the most part" is a crutch phrase for Ron.  Same as a valley girl saying "like" and other similar things.  He says it all the time.  I wouldn't read anything into it.  It's just part of his speech patter.  We all have oddities in the way we speak, crutch words, crutch phrases, etc.  

There's another very Ron crutch phrase that I can't recall. Maybe it's just "for the most part." I think there's another one.  You could make a drinking game out of it and get drunk on water.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

"For the most part" is a crutch phrase for Ron.  Same as a valley girl saying "like" and other similar things.  He says it all the time.  I wouldn't read anything into it.  It's just part of his speech patter.  We all have oddities in the way we speak, crutch words, crutch phrases, etc.  

There's another very Ron crutch phrase that I can't recall. Maybe it's just "for the most part." I think there's another one.  You could make a drinking game out of it and get drunk on water.

You're now making me self-conscious about what my crutch phrases are. I can never remember them until I find myself saying them...and then I hope nobody else notices what I'm doing.

• Haha 1

Just now, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

You're now making me self-conscious about what my crutch phrases are. I can never remember them until I find myself saying them...and then I hope nobody else notices what I'm doing.

I use the word “so” a lot.  At the beginning of sentences.  More when I speak than whe I write.  I have to be very conscious not to use it all the time.

• Thumb up 1

15 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

He likes to say "I really do".

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

He likes to say "I really do".

Yes, he says that a lot too.  I swear there's another one.  He says it before giving an opinion....

14 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

I use "So" a lot at the beginning of sentences.  "so this that and the other..."  I have to be VERY conscious not to do it. Even being conscious about it, I still do it.  It's a habit which is very hard to break.    

EDIT: The most popular crutch phrase in the world is "you know?"   Every time I hear somebody say "you know?" I want to hit them over the head with a tea pot.  Preferably a hot tea pot.  Yes, I know.  You don't have to ask.  At the end of every sentence. Piss of with it, you know?

Edited by Voice_of_Reason

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Martin doesn't look nearly ready enough right now to do anything remotely useful on the field.  Troy was trying to figure out how to crush him for bad coverage after he magically got an INT and returned it 59 yards.  This is the type of ritual sacrifice/rabbit foot thing that happened to REDACTED henceforth known as Hallock, (Happy @Califan007 The Constipated?) was known for. You certainly can't count on anything from him right now.  After the season?  We'll see.  Certainly you can't close the book on a guy after 2 preseason games.  But you can say "yeah, he's still a big work in progress."

If we weren't in some bizarre "evaluation of everyone" situation, I would actually extend Fuller.  Not trade him. You don't take a deep position and make it less deep. You keep depth.  He won't be expensive to extend, and having a good, veteran backup CB, at worst, would be a fantastic luxury to have.  They won't do this, but they probably should.  

I wasnt really high on Martin in the draft. But apparently he has been quite impressive in camp so far. I agree he looked lost the other night. Games are obviously what matter. So we will see where he goes from here. 

Hearing that Quan and Butler were having good camps (this year and last year for Butler) and then seeing them look lost in preseason games—it makes me wonder if some of these beat guys just have no idea what they’re looking at in practice in regards to the DBs. To be fair to them, 1-on-1’s are geared toward WR’s and standing on the sidelines there’s no way to know what coverage assignment these young DBs are supposed to have…so it may be difficult to tell. But both of these guys are supposed to be practicing well, and in reality are clearly lagging behind. So what gives?

Edited by Conn
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, MartinC said:

In my defense I was 58 last month. I may have lost half a yard from my peak.

You Are Old GIFs | Tenor

** There was a better gif.  But I THINK if you are able to read lips it MIGHT violate the profanity rules.  Maybe.  It's hard to tell.  Descension being the better part of valor I will refrain from posting it.

However, you should imagine a young, attractive blonde woman saying "You're Old As ****" (though the caption is You're Old AF"  The caption would pass.  Does lip reading count as profanity?  I am not going to try to find out....

3 minutes ago, Conn said:

Hearing that Quan and Butler were having good camps (this year and last year for Butler) and then seeing them look lost in preseason games—it makes me wonder if some of these beat guys just have no idea what they’re looking at in practice in regards to the DBs. To be fair to them, 1-on-1’s are geared toward WR’s and standing on the sidelines there’s no way to know what coverage assignment these young DBs are supposed to have…so it may be difficult to tell. But both of these guys are supposed to be practicing well, and in reality are clearly lagging behind. So what gives?

Yeah.  A lot of it is Journalists trying to be Analysts.  They don't know what they are looking at a lot of the time.  

Sometimes they do, and some are better than others. 

• Haha 1