Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Offseason Mini Camp, OTA’s, Training Camp Discussion Thread: Hallelujah, Josh Harris & Co. Era Edition

Conn

2 hours ago, DWinzit said:

Could you please stop holding back and let us know how you really feel. :ols:

For the OL they evidently put their eggs in the basket of filling positions via draft and the the draft didn't fall as they wished.

It's the problem when relying so much on the draft like they have over the past number of years, that's been maddening.

With LBs they evidently felt Hudson and Barton are it with Davis...that I don't get. They had plenty of opportunities in FA and the draft to bring good competition to the position and ignored it.

Wondering if either positions play over the past week will signal someone that it is time to scour the market for the BPA, FA or trade. 

I agree with the overall sentiment but disagree with the "eggs in one basket". They like to cover needs in FA so they aren't screwed if the draft goes against them.

Which happened here. Without signing Gates or Wylie, we could have been in a real awkward spot during the draft after the run on OT's before our pick. Our OL is in a pickle currently, but it could have easily been a disaster if we fully put all of our eggs into the draft basket.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think OL is going to be fascinating since they drafted players for 2025 in both the 3rd and 4th rounds, you expect them to stick around.  But not play. 

If you assume the starting 5 are Leno, Charles (yech), Gates, Cosmi, Wylie and primary backups of L/ucasPaul, that's 7.  Then you add 2 red-shirts of Stromboli and Daniels, that's 9.

So, if they are carrying 1 more, who is it? 

I actually thing THIS is the reason we haven't gotten a veteran in to help.  They would most likely have to cut Paul or Charles, which they don't want to do, because they can't cut the red-shirt rookies.  

I did my take of the 53 last week. On OL you have the starting 5 - so Leno, Let’s say Charles, Gates, Cosmi and Wylie. Then primary backups are Lucas, Paul and Larsen. Add on the two rookies who stick because of draft status if nothing else - Stromberg and Daniel’s. That’s 10. I think they need to add an additional back up from the waiver wire given Stromberg and Daniel’s seem to be on redshirt years. So I had them at 11 on the OL.

Hoffman on The Junkies notes from yesterday's practice -

• Thought the team held it's own (evenly matched practice) vs Ravens as opposed to the one they did with Patriots a few years ago and clearly one team was championship, the other Washington
  • Ravens physicality was massive but we matched it
  • Said Oline was fine, couple pressures given up but Sam held on to the ball too long on those
  • Mentioned Daniels who got smoked the first 1-1 but they ran it back and he held up
  • A few penalities since refs were there, some on oline
  • Talked about Stromberg, said they aren't going to keep 3 true centers which is why they're running him at guard.  Doing same with Larsen
  • Thinks beyond top 4 WR's, they keep 6 with keeping Pringle (ST guy, knows system) then pick your style mentioned Tinsley (solid camp) but others are doing well also
  • DB's held up well, made plays were knocking balls down, gave up a couple balls but great at communicating in team situations
  • Thinks the D will be better this year than last year, reasoning talent and depth in the secondary, continuity, dline, etc.
  • Thinks Cole Turner will have a really good year, everytime he looked over he was making a catch.  Could be key in redzone cause of his size

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

Hoffman on The Junkies notes from yesterday's practice -

• Thought the team held it's own (evenly matched practice) vs Ravens as opposed to the one they did with Patriots a few years ago and clearly one team was championship, the other Washington
  • Ravens physicality was massive but we matched it
  • Said Oline was fine, couple pressures given up but Sam held on to the ball too long on those
  • Mentioned Daniels who got smoked the first 1-1 but they ran it back and he held up
  • A few penalities since refs were there, some on oline
  • Talked about Stromberg, said they aren't going to keep 3 true centers which is why they're running him at guard.  Doing same with Larsen
  • Thinks beyond top 4 WR's, they keep 6 with keeping Pringle (ST guy, knows system) then pick your style mentioned Tinsley (solid camp) but others are doing well also
  • DB's held up well, made plays were knocking balls down, gave up a couple balls but great at communicating in team situations
  • Thinks the D will be better this year than last year, reasoning talent and depth in the secondary, continuity, dline, etc.
  • Thinks Cole Turner will have a really good year, everytime he looked over he was making a catch.  Could be key in redzone cause of his size

I think the top 5 are inked in now at WR - Terry, Dotson, Samuels, Brown, Pringle. It’s the 6th spot which is hard to call - Tinsley is showing well, Allen has shown great potential as a returner, Milne is probably more of a jack of all trades but more reliable at receiver than Allen if he’s part of the game day roster and we get an injury. There are a couple more guys in the mix as well. I would lean to keeping Allen even if he is raw at receiver - his burst looks special.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Thinks beyond top 4 WR's, they keep 6 with keeping Pringle (ST guy, knows system) then pick your style mentioned Tinsley (solid camp) but others are doing well also

I seem to remember looking it up and Pringle has never returned a punt, so if he is WR5, WR6 has to be your punt returner since they also don't seem inclined to make Gibby the full time PR.

Regardless of how anyone else looks, it pretty much has to be Kaz or Dax.

Just now, FootballZombie said:

I seem to remember looking it up and Pringle has never returned a punt, so if he is WR5, WR6 has to be your punt returner since they also don't seem inclined to make Gibby the full time PR.

Hmm, then Pringle is not a lock and on the bubble as well.

7 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I think the top 5 are inked in now at WR - Terry, Dotson, Samuels, Brown, Pringle. It’s the 6th spot which is hard to call - Tinsley is showing well, Allen has shown great potential as a returner, Milne is probably more of a jack of all trades but more reliable at receiver than Allen if he’s part of the game day roster and we get an injury. There are a couple more guys in the mix as well. I would lean to keeping Allen if he is raw at receiver - his burst looks special.

Yea, he brought up Allen but said he's still raw.  Said if he can show out with like good preseason returns, he might make it.  However, said they're really looking for a guy who can play all 3 WR positions, good blocker, ST's and someone dependable so we'll see.  Said Milne is having a good camp too.

Edited by HigSkin

9 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Hoffman referenced Pringle as a good gunner.  Not sure who they use to return in that case like Gibby?, he even mentioned Dotson LOL.  We'll see

Edited by HigSkin

The whole raw argument for Kaz bothers me.

He won't make the team and be expected to contribute at WR in a meaningful way. His job would be to provide a spark on teams.

Dax had 6 Recs last year. 6. How much are we giving up by bringing in a raw guy who can be a difference maker on teams, even if he is incapable of contributing much on the outside?

Or you can try to mask his inability at WR and have him contribute to the O as more of a runner, in a C. Sam kinda way.

Unless the other guy is good at other aspects of ST play, you aint giving up a whole lot by picking the raw guy here.

Right now, gimmie WR 1-4 plus Pringle at WR5 and Kaz at WR6

• Like 6

54 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I did my take of the 53 last week. On OL you have the starting 5 - so Leno, Let’s say Charles, Gates, Cosmi and Wylie. Then primary backups are Lucas, Paul and Larsen. Add on the two rookies who stick because of draft status if nothing else - Stromberg and Daniel’s. That’s 10. I think they need to add an additional back up from the waiver wire given Stromberg and Daniel’s seem to be on redshirt years. So I had them at 11 on the OL.

I have a hard time seeing 11.  I actually think if Stromboli shoes he can play guard, he and Larsen are competing for a job.  But nobody is saying it.  If Stromboli can’t play guard, they’re both safe.  

Just now, 88Comrade2000 said:

RonBot’s up to new tricks! 

Mire subtle statement of the same post, but this time with a good song!

Keim weighed in a little on the O line.

He didn't seem to have a strong opinion one way or another.  Said they gave up pressure on both edges yesterday.  But he didn't say it in a code red way.

Keim was complementaty of Stromberg for the 2nd day in row. 

Thought Howell looked mostly sharp.  And believes the quick game helps him and also helps overcome potential prssure issues via this O line.  He's repeated vartiaions of that point in several podcasts.

49 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I Tinsley is showing well

Keim talked about him some, too.  Said he fared well yesterday.  In other podcasts he wasn't sure if he makes the roster, not sure this time either but sounds like he has a chance.  Keim said its important that he can show he can help on special teams.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Our DBs are doing a real nice job in 1 on 1s. They favor the offense for sure but our DBs are sticky in coverage.

I'd like to see them do a better job with actual PBUs and getting their heads around, but they are staying in-phase very well. 

As I type that Forbes got cooked on an inside release, fake corner dig type route. Tough route to cover for 5 seconds.

• Like 3

They are using a new org chart where they are having the veteran position coaches serve as a mid level managers and having them oversee more. Castillo is the TE coach but OL also rolls up to him on the org chart. This apparently is what KC does.

Jason Peters is still out there and has played for Castillo with the Eagles and with the Bears. At his age, his days as a full time starter are over. However, he was good last year as a part time player for the Cowboys who played both tackle and guard. The thing with him is be probably does not want to do training camp and is likely waiting after it ends to go sign with a team. If he takes half the snaps at RT and plays a bit of guard, that would be very helpful here. Allows you to then IR Daniels.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, method man said:

They are using a new org chart where they are having the veteran position coaches serve as a mid level managers and having them oversee more. Castillo is the TE coach but OL also rolls up to him on the org chart. This apparently is what KC does.

Jason Peters is still out there and has played for Castillo with the Eagles and with the Bears. At his age, his days as a full time starter are over. However, he was good last year as a part time player for the Cowboys who played both tackle and guard. The thing with him is be probably does not want to do training camp and is likely waiting after it ends to go sign with a team. If he takes half the snaps at RT and plays a bit of guard, that would be very helpful here. Allows you to then IR Daniels.

Having the OL coach report to the TE coach is certainly not a traditional way of doing things.

I've always believed that your line coach is your most important positional coach... so that's different.

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Ravens broadcasters love Zay Flowers. Kiper and McShay would constantly rave about him before the draft but I never bothered to watch him 

He was my WR1! Or close, I don't remember :ols:

Was that Andre Jones out there with the ones? He looked explosive as hell.

Forbes got beat by OBJ, but Lamar underthrew him and he got a PBU without turning his head. I'd realllly like to see our heads on a swivel more. 

DL looks very good.

Secondary is close in coverage.

Waiting for the LBs to show up. 

• Like 1