Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Offseason Mini Camp, OTA’s, Training Camp Discussion Thread: Hallelujah, Josh Harris & Co. Era Edition

Conn

Reporter "Hey Ron, how does it feel to know you have a set QB1 going into this season?"

Ron "Well Brissett has been getting reps with the 1's also and has looked pretty good"

He does dumb **** like this now.

The man came in and turned around our franchise and has great players resigning with us for good deals and navigated the nastiest waters in the league thanks to Dan, but going through all of that. Having your QB position fall apart in back to back years, beating cancer, the man just isn't the same. He seems exhausted by the weight of the job and then he brings in an assistant HC and backs off the HC duties. 

I will forever be a Ron fan and have a ton of respect for him, but it's time to move on.

• Like 10
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, CobraCommander said:

Quarterback controversies are so passe. Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the Head Coch controversy. 

I root for Washington, and 

I LIKE BIENNEMY

Let's all split into two factions and fight!

I like Ron the man, not the coach.

I don't like EB as either.

I like JDR the coach and not the man.

I'm just gonna hope for individuals like Howells development and hope the fit into our next coaches plans.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bowhunter said:

So Cheeseman will be snapping to a punter named "Colby." Does this make anyone else Bleu?

for me not Bleu but Whey Monterey Jack'ed up for the season! Men doing what they have to do to make the Cheddar $. Curd this be the making of a great year? Only Aging will tell. In the immortal words of Cheetos Chester Cheetah "it's not easy being cheesy".
Hail and Gouda Day Gents!

Edited by HIYA_Beach_Warpath
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Reporter "Hey Ron, how does it feel to know you have a set QB1 going into this season?"

Ron "Well Brissett has been getting reps with the 1's also and has looked pretty good"

He does dumb **** like this now.

The man came in and turned around our franchise and has great players resigning with us for good deals and navigated the nastiest waters in the league thanks to Dan, but going through all of that. Having your QB position fall apart in back to back years, beating cancer, the man just isn't the same. He seems exhausted by the weight of the job and then he brings in an assistant HC and backs off the HC duties. 

I will forever be a Ron fan and have a ton of respect for him, but it's time to move on.

Feel the same.  I have just good vibes for what he went through and what he endured under Dan.

But now, he comes off like a dude who is exhausted and spent (and I don't blame him for it) where he's lost too much of his drive.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

So, Rivera says some players had some concerns about tempo at practice so he sent them in to talk with EB about it and EB cleared it up for them?

Wow. How will we ever survive such turmoil. 

Every time they go up to that podium and have a camera in their face everybody listening is trying to take every single thing they hear and try to make a huge story out of it in any way possible. 

It's why the best coaches at press conferences say nothing at all or get snarky like Belichick. 

Rivera is not good at this in any way shape or form and gives little juicy soundbites way too often.

That said I agree this is most likely nothing at all, or at worst a little animosity that all teams deal with that never sees the light of day.

Edited by redskinss
  • Like 2

Just now, redskinss said:

Every time they go up to that podium and have a camera in their face everybody listening is trying to take every single thing they hear and try to make a huge story out of it in any way possible. 

It's why the best coaches at press conferences say nothing at all or get sparky like Belichick. 

Rivera is not good at this in any way shape or form and gives little juicy soundbites way too often.

That said I agree this is most likely nothing at all, or at worst a little animosity that all teams deal with that never sees the light of day.

"Quarterback"

1 hour ago, Rex Tomb said:

If it produces results and we start much faster on offense, I don't think it will be so draining.  The players will likely be pretty juiced about it, and EB may be able to soften some as a result.  

When players begin to make money from producing in your scheme and role in offense, you will be beloved. 

EB hasn’t earned anyone money yet. It’s a money game!! Provide second contracts and they will come to sing your praises. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I listened to the Ron press conference where it came out.  Ron just walked himself into that story, oddly.  He volunteered it more than he needed to. 

Ron at times leaves me wondering if his ego gets in the way at times. He often offer up nuggets that highlight something he did to help. 

Just read Standig's article from yesterday. It sounds like:

• Cody Barton is easily the best LB on the team, and will be the guy in the 1 LB "Cinco" 5-1-5 package. He supposedly looks great.
  • Jamin Davis might have regressed, or Khaleke Hudson might have improved, or both. Hudson should steal some of Davis's snaps.
  • BSJ has gotten better.
  • Quan is cycling through and learning every position in the secondary.
  • OL is looking better, but he's not saying people should stop worrying.
  • Cosmi looks good, Gates and Leno seem normal/ok, no mention of Wylie, Paul should become the starter sooner or later
  • Allen and Payne remain motivated, Sweat looks better, Young looks agile but questionmarks on pass rush moves?
  • Depth competitions at CB, IDL, and Edge are legit
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am listening to his press conference.  Him referencing himself in third person is a bit of a painful listen for me. 😎

Reminds me of the Clifford Franklin locker-room interview in The Replacements!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Ron at times leaves me wondering if his ego gets in the way at times. He often offer up nuggets that highlight something he did to help. 

Hoffman had a good line about Ron recently which is he comes off like a dude that sees himself as one of those high school coach movie characters and it gets himself in trouble.

I sort of took the point is Ron sometimes likes to hear himself talk and by extenstion talks too much.

• Like 1

To some extent, I feel for Rivera. I've found myself doing the same in business situations where there's a blank space in the conversation. I probably don't need to say anything but still feel like they're expecting me to say something, so rather than steeling myself for the awkward staredown until they turn around and walk out the door and let me get back to work, I fill it with extra information that they don't really need to hear and may or may not raise their expectations higher than it should be.

Fortunately for me, I'm not driving a bus that can roll over my employees when I'm at the wheel.

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

• Cody Barton is easily the best LB on the team, and will be the guy in the 1 LB "Cinco" 5-1-5 package. He supposedly looks great.
  • Jamin Davis might have regressed, or Khaleke Hudson might have improved, or both. Hudson should steal some of Davis's snaps.
  • BSJ has gotten better.
  • Cosmi looks good, Gates and Leno seem normal/ok, no mention of Wylie, Paul should become the starter sooner or later
  • Allen and Payne remain motivated, Sweat looks better, Young looks agile but questionmarks on pass rush moves?

Screen Shot 2023-08-08 at 12.37.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-08-08 at 12.37.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-08-08 at 12.38.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-08-08 at 12.38.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-08-08 at 12.39.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-08-08 at 12.39.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-08-08 at 12.39.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-08-08 at 12.40.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-08-08 at 12.40.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-08-08 at 12.41.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-08-08 at 12.41.25 PM.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

• BSJ has gotten better.

I hope this Davis regression isn't real. IMO that will be Rivera's biggest mark against him outside of the QB position. Dude is supposed to be a character guy with high upside.

• Like 1

Small point I've picked up in two different podcasts.  Andre Jones according to some has outplayed KJ Henry in camp.

Henry has had a really quiet camp judging by buzz, he has almost no buzz.  Andre though I've heard three different reporters now talk him up.

On twitter from fans, I see some nice things on occasion like KJ beating Daniels.  But from the media talking heads, almost nothing.

EB is not the first Hard-A coach in the NFL, but the storybook is always the same with them.

If you go out and win games, it will be tolerated. If your not successful, it will amplify the negativity and snowball real quick.

The problem with hard-a's and TC is that there is nothing to win. Nothing tangible for players to put their cap on, so you really only get the wear and tear w/ none of the payoff. Double that when the coach is new and there is no previous success to fall back on. 

Until we get somewhere where the stick up EBs butt can start paying some dividends, your probably gonna continue to see the mumbling and grumbling. I think that is par for the course for any of the more demanding coaches out there.

8 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

I hope this Davis regression isn't real. IMO that will be Rivera's biggest mark against him outside of the QB position. Dude is supposed to be a character guy with high upside.

I liked Davis in that draft but as a 2nd rounder.  Drafting a raw LB that high doesn't happen that much in today's NFL -- and they passed over a LT who had plenty of hype and would be a game changer I think for this team if they had him in the fold

• Sad 3