Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Offseason Mini Camp, OTA’s, Training Camp Discussion Thread: Hallelujah, Josh Harris & Co. Era Edition

Conn

1 hour ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

I don't know whether to laugh or cry, but all I can say is "of ****ing course that happened". What a dumb person.

Can we officially re-name the Snyder era to something more fitting. Perhaps the "what happens when a stupid person gains power" era?

I heard there was a health issue causing his fall, but haven't checked to see if that rumor was true. Otherwise, teams are just not valuing what his best skillset is, or they don't think it'll translate?

I don't recall a health issue but could be. His skill set is wanted by everyone, they just don''t want a guy of his size. I think that's the reason for his slide

57 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He was my first man crush during the last draft season.  lol, the fact that he wasn't even drafted stunned me.

The idea that he's killing it in training camp I admit bugs me some.  He was an undrafted free agent, we could have nailed him.  

Yesssir!

He is getting reps with the team D...could be the real deal...This is really not that shocking for me as he is loaded with talent. One of the most instinctive players I've seen in resent years, you can't teach that.

I used Zach Thomas as who he very much reminded me of...you know that too small of a LB that's heading to Canton

I think he would have fit in here pretty darn well

Edited by DWinzit
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I don't recall a health issue but could be. His skill set is wanted by everyone, they just don''t want a guy of his size. I think that's the reason for his slide

Yesssir!

He is getting reps with the team D...could be the real deal...This is really not that shocking for me as he is loaded with talent. One of the most instinctive players I've seen in resent years, you can't teach that.

I used Zach Thomas as who he very much reminded me of...you know that too small of a LB that's heading to Canton

I think he would have fit in here pretty darn well

Size wise he was about identical to Malcolm Rodriguez who was also a LB i liked who played well last year albiet got banged up.

For MLBs I like dudes who are all over the action, all over the ball, and that fit Pace to a tee.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Size wise he was about identical to Malcolm Rodriguez who was also a LB i liked who played well last year albiet got banged up.

For MLBs I like dudes who are all over the action, all over the ball, and that fit Pace to a tee.

Has an incredible ability to work through trash and get thee ball carrier or blitzing to the QB

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DWinzit said:

I am still ticked that we didn't find a way to grab Pace in the 7th round. He would have been a nice fit in Washington. 

Beyond frustrated with our draft strategy still. Excited to see what Forbes and Quan can do for sure, it’s not their fault. Good players, too. But the strategy still irks me.

I got a little beat up for liking him. As did you and SIP… but man… he just has a knack for the ball and that cannot be taught. 

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, KDawg said:

Beyond frustrated with our draft strategy still. Excited to see what Forbes and Quan can do for sure, it’s not their fault. Good players, too. But the strategy still irks me.

I got a little beat up for liking him. As did you and SIP… but man… he just has a knack for the ball and that cannot be taught. 

The weird thing is both Rivera and JDR played LB.    I liked Jamin but he was overdraftted at 19 IMO.  I pushed him at times then but did so as a 2nd round prospect. They skipped Darrisaw who could have helped save their O line, he's a stud LT.   Argubaly they were better LBs drafted after him in that same draft.   Take the LT in the first, then LB instead in the 2nd.

We got meh backs ups like Milo Eilfer,  Mayo for years.  I am only partly joking about Bostic coming back, it wouldn't shock me if he did. .

They could have gotten Pace for no draft capital.  The dude had high intangibles, brings pass rush, always around the ball.

I get some here will say well look at the defense overall, so don't whine about LB.  They use 1-2 LBs sets, no big deal. 

I agree its no big deal but my point is that we got a ceiling with Ron as a GM.  Like I say,  Tim Gribble is good at drafting by what it seems working through Ron's need shopping list.  But there is also something missing in their roster building, where you got the vibe that they are never going to be great at it.  Always something missing -- too much missing. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

Oh good, the Ivan pee wee Pace love fest is back.  😛

As a UDFA we should have jumped on him. No LBers. No pass rushers. 

Usually when coaches come out and list the positions they want to attack in the offseason, it's a ploy to divert attention. Ron stuck to that, strangely, by using his actual weaknesses to do it. It'd be some real 4D chess stuff if we didn't actually need those things.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Leonard Washington said:

I recall the WaPo following training camp more closely in previous years and providing daily writeups and pictures. I’m not seeing that this year.

Is it an access issue or has the WaPo lost interest?  

They’ve written an article everyday. I’ve posted some of them as have others 

• Thumb up 1

ASHBURN — By the speed at which he got off the line, Daron Payne seemed as if he was about to destroy Sam Cosmi

But as the two Washington Commanders teammates collided, their pads violently clashing together to make a thunderous “THUMP,” Cosmi clasped the 320-pound defensive tackle and used his own force to drive Payne to the outside. Cosmi won the rep, doing so on the interior against one of the better defensive tackles in the league. 

“He’s one of those guys that’s pretty quick and agile,” Payne said. “It’s hard to do kind of some of the things that I like to do against him.” 

Cosmi’s battles with Payne this offseason have been a regular occurrence. But in the context of his three-year career, they’re still relatively new for the 24-year-old. This year, the Commanders have moved Cosmi inside to right guard after having him play right tackle for the majority of his first two seasons. The shift marked yet another decision by coach Ron Rivera and his staff to turn a tackle into a guard: Washington also moved Saahdiq Charles, the team’s projected starter at left guard, inside. 

Through his three-plus seasons with the Commanders, Rivera has put an emphasis on what he calls “position flex,” or positional flexibility. That idea has worked great with some players (Kam Curl, Benjamin St-Juste) and less well with others (Wes Schweitzer, Jamin Davis). But in his attempt to fix Washington’s offensive line after a disappointing 2022, Rivera is once again relying on a player’s versatility to be a cure. 

After briefly experimenting with the move last season, the Commanders shifted Cosmi to guard full-time after signing former Kansas City Chiefs lineman Andrew Wylie to be their right tackle. Charles, by contrast, is in line to be Washington’s starting left guard after the team released Andrew Norwell. 

The goal behind the moves appears to be so the Commanders have more athleticism and youth on the interior of the line. They also have size — the 309-pound Cosmi is 6-foot-6, while the 322-pound Charles is 6-foot-4 — to remain stout upfront. 

“I really have grasped the position,” Cosmi said. “I really feel comfortable at the position right now. I could be irreplaceable between guard and tackle if they need me to. But I’m really, really enjoying that inside being guard, physicality stuff. I think it fits my style of play better, and I’ve been enjoying the transition for sure.”

When Charles and Cosmi were drafted in 2020 and 2021 respectively, they were brought in with the intention of playing tackle. Back then, Washington was searching to fill the void left by trading star left tackle Trent Williams to the San Francisco 49ers. And Rivera’s staff saw Charles and Cosmi as potential replacements — even though draft analysts questioned whether both players would be better suited at guard because of their measurables. (Analysts expressed skepticism about both Cosmi‘s and Charles’ arm length.) 

But plans changed quickly. Charles went through an injury-plagued rookie season, and the Commanders focused on the LSU product playing on the inside upon his return. Cosmi, on the other hand, didn’t get an opportunity to replace Williams on the left side as the team signed veteran Charles Leno a month after the 2021 draft — a move that has worked out well, in hindsight. Cosmi was then moved to right tackle, which he played in college and high school. 

Last season, the Commanders’ offensive line regressed after being one of the league’s best units in 2021. Washington allowed 48 sacks (seventh-most in the NFL) and struggled to replace the departures of All-Pro guard Brandon Scherff and veteran Ereck Flowers. Norwell and Trai Turner — the replacements for Scherff and Flowers — looked old and slow, and defenses found success by attacking the interior. 

By turning to Cosmi and Charles — and signing center Nick Gates in free agency — the Commanders hope they’ve shored up the middle. 

“It gives us a chance to protect the quarterback,” Rivera said, “which I think is one of the most important things you gotta be able to do.”

One of the ways that Cosmi’s athleticism and Charles’ speed should help the Commanders is in their screen game. With both having the ability to get out in space and drive defensive lnemen up field, that could create the necessary room needed for playmakers to get out and run. New offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy’s system also relies on screens being effective as that was a staple of Kansas City’s offense when the assistant coach was there. 

For Cosmi, the type of play is another chance to do what he likes to do best: Inflict pain.

“That’s why we play o-line,” he said. 

• Thanks 3

That sounds fantastic for Cosmi!

College OT's that display desire as run blockers and are highly athletic, but have a great Guard body are, imo, hidden value in the draft. They've got top tier Guard potential and can be found on Day 2 of the draft.

We seriously overdrafted Scherff, but he was another that fit.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Tress Is The Way said:

We are quietly putting together a solid team, the NFC east is going to be a hell of a division this year. We might put some people on notice, and would be a welcome change from the stink

Its gonna come down to the OL and Howell not throwing up over himself. I think the rest of the team is at least good enough to compete, with two units being legitimately in the top 3-5 in the league(WR and DL).

11 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Its gonna come down to the OL and Howell not throwing up over himself. I think the rest of the team is at least good enough to compete, with two units being legitimately in the top 3-5 in the league(WR and DL).

LB -- as neglected as that group has been -- is going to be a massive problem if Jamin faces suspension for his lead-footed driving.  In fact, most folks would be facing legit jail-time for 114mph in a 45mph...especially as a repeat offender. 

Wonder if Ron has his buddy Jon Bostic on speed-dial?

Digesting narratives from the Finlay podcast. A Standig article and Keim the O line struggled yesterday, hopefully they bounce back today. 

Tishler said they struggled to get push on the goal line versus the 2nd team D. And red flagged the unit overall multiple times as a concern.

Standig did in the article I posted yesterday.

Keim did it in his usual polite way with comments like it’s not a talented group and the hope is they will overcome that by playing better as a unit. He’s made that point now in multiple podcasts 

But granted it’s just one practice in pads 

• Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1