Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

28 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Seems kind of weird with rookie mini camp this weekend that we haven't signed any of our picks yet.

Gotta figure they'll be a big run on signings today.

That's the norm.

Most rookies aren't signed until a few weeks before training camp.

13 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Most rookies aren't signed until a few weeks before training camp.

There are several teams that already have all their rookies signed this year.

• Thanks 1

Rating players that could make the team or position better rather than from a big board of rating best available at that position. Could be why we took Coleman over Bebe? 

Can Coleman if he hits at LT make the team better? Bebe may be BPA but does he make the team better at G only? Do the 3 players they tock in the 2nd. rd. make the team better at CB,DT and TE and the team better versus the OT's that were available? That is what they are betting on and the way they do things in S.F. along with having a consensus pick by the group. 

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

We drafted Coleman to play LT and brought a superbowl winner in to play LG. That’s the plan.

I tend to think he was the pick because of ceiling and versatility (more outs). I don't think it was that simple. When you need to replace your OL Bench, and multiple starters, versatility like Coleman's probably trumps straight OT's who can't do anything else especially when they have ceilings as high as him. 

Edited by The Consigliere

On 2/17/2024 at 6:00 AM, Chump Bailey said:

*Perhaps the deepest position of the 2024 draft IMO

Top Draftable OG’s (to my eyes)

1.  Zak Zinter Michigan

2.  Troy Fautanu Washington

3.  Cooper Beebee Kansas State

4.  Christian Mahogony Boston College *Underrated

5.  Christian Haynes UConn

6.  Javion Cohen Miami

7.  Layden Robinson Texas A&M

8.  Brandon Coleman TCU

9.  Dominick Puni Kansas

10.   Sataoa Laumea Utah

Just curious as to where I had Brandon Coleman ranked back in Feb - had him listed as a riser in the OT group.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

I tend to think he was the pick because of ceiling and versatility (more outs). I don't think it was that simple. When you need to replace your OL Bench, and multiple starters, versatility like Coleman's probably trumps straight OT's who can't do anything else especially when they have ceilings as high as him. 

I think he’s was picked to start LT

On 5/10/2024 at 10:11 AM, skinsfan66 said:

Rating players that could make the team or position better rather than from a big board of rating best available at that position. Could be why we took Coleman over Bebe? 

Can Coleman if he hits at LT make the team better? Bebe may be BPA but does he make the team better at G only? Do the 3 players they tock in the 2nd. rd. make the team better at CB,DT and TE and the team better versus the OT's that were available? That is what they are betting on and the way they do things in S.F. along with having a consensus pick by the group. 

With all due respect…

What?

On 5/10/2024 at 1:44 PM, Est.1974 said:

I think he’s was picked to start LT

At some point. But it’s a heck of a projection to draft someone in the third round as an opening day starter at a premium position like LT. 

If he’s even pencilled in as opening day starter at this point it’s a sign of the lack of talent we have on the roster at OT.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

At some point. But it’s a heck of a projection to draft someone in the third round as an opening day starter at a premium position like LT. 

If he’s even pencilled in as opening day starter at this point it’s a sign of the lack of talent we have on the roster at OT.

It's probably reasonable to assume Lucas starts at LT and Coleman will eventually transition into that role at some point this season, best case scenario. I can't image the coaches envisioned him stepping into the starting LT role right from day 1.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

It's probably reasonable to assume Lucas starts at LT and Coleman will eventually transition into that role at some point this season, best case scenario. I can't image the coaches envisioned him stepping into the starting LT role right from day 1.

Assuming that a 3rd round pick is going to become a starting NFL LT in his first season is a bit of a stretch. 

6 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Assuming that a 3rd round pick is going to become a starting NFL LT in his first season is a bit of a stretch. 

But that's what we are being told by Keim et al that the FO was thinking when drafting him...

5 hours ago, bird_1972 said:

But that's what we are being told by Keim et al that the FO was thinking when drafting him...

Yep.

And the FO had a specific plan to prioritise the IOL first. I believe the phrase was to build from the inside out.

• Thumb up 1

5 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Yep.

And the FO had a specific plan to prioritise the IOL first. I believe the phrase was to build from the inside out.

Logan Pauline said that a strong interior OL can make the OT position less critical if it can effectively bottle up the pressure coming up the middle. Maybe this was the theory behind "building from the inside out"?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

Logan Pauline said that a strong interior OL can make the OT position less critical if it can effectively bottle up the pressure coming up the middle. Maybe this was the theory behind "building from the inside out"?

It certainly is.

However, a turnstile doesn’t function any better when it’s surrounded by solid steel and concrete. The turnstile still turns… fairly easily.

41 minutes ago, KDawg said:

It certainly is.

However, a turnstile doesn’t function any better when it’s surrounded by solid steel and concrete. The turnstile still turns… fairly easily.

While I don't consider him the answer over the long haul, I think Lucas is better than a turnstile. Maybe more like a loosely fastened chain-link gate. 

4 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

While I don't consider him the answer over the long haul, I think Lucas is better than a turnstile. Maybe more like a loosely fastened chain-link gate. 

I’m talking more about the other side. 

Id accept occasional brick wall and occasional loosely fashioned chain-link for Lucas.

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Id accept occasional brick wall and occasional loosely fashioned chain-link for Lucas.

Andrew Wylie? 

Yeah, I hear you but Rome wasn't built in a day and it was unlikely both positions would be upgraded based on all the other needs we had on this team. 

Who knows, tho - we could end up signing a surprise FA to compete at RT although I don't think there are many likely options left out there.

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Yeah this debate was more on Coleman at LT. 

RT, another issue,

• Like 1

I know Coleman played LT and G in college, but I don’t know why everyone presumes that he is a LT prospect and not a RT prospect. 

He’s got great size, but I think as been described as allowing a little slow laterally. Seems to me that he could be our RT of the future and that we might grab our LT of the future in the 1st round next year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

Yeah this debate was more on Coleman at LT. 

RT, another issue,

I’d argue RT is the primary issue. Lucas can play RT and be an improvement to that side of the field. But we have no LT solution so he has to play there.

I actually think Lucas is best suited at RT.

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I’d argue RT is the primary issue. Lucas can play RT and be an improvement to that side of the field. But we have no LT solution so he has to play there.

I actually think Lucas is best suited at RT.

I think both OT spots are an issue. The discussion point was specifically the merits of Coleman starting at LT. Different conversation.

• Like 1