Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

18 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Johnny Wilson is also pretty dangerous as a deep threat.  His build up speed is very threatening to DBs paired with that incredible size.  Look at how soft DBs play him.  Everything opens up underneath for him because of how scared they are of him getting behind them.

Yeah Wilson is my WR target in round 3, if we don't get one in round 2. I think he'd be great value at 67.

• Like 2

On 4/16/2024 at 10:32 AM, lavar1156 said:

Someone please catch me up. What do we think we do at LT? Take one in the 2nd or possibly trade back into the first round?

I would actually be kind of shocked if we dont trade back up into the first for one. We have the capitol to do it. So I am expecting it at this point. We could always trade back a little bit with our first 3rd rounder to pick up the lost pick as well. With Peters ability to find gems in the mid rounds. It seems like the smart move to me. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I would actually be kind of shocked if we dont trade back up into the first for one. We have the capitol to do it. So I am expecting it at this point. We could always trade back a little bit with our first 3rd rounder to pick up the lost pick as well. With Peters ability to find gems in the mid rounds. It seems like the smart move to me. 

With Peters ability to find mid round gems, what makes you think he wants to trade up instead of trading back for more swings at those mid round gems?

The team has said very little, but one thing they have said is they don't feel desperate at OT. They don't feel like they need to make panic moves.

25 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

With Peters ability to find mid round gems, what makes you think he wants to trade up instead of trading back for more swings at those mid round gems?

The team has said very little, but one thing they have said is they don't feel desperate at OT. They don't feel like they need to make panic moves.

There is a big difference between a blue chip LT and a mid round project. No matter how good Peters is at finding gems. If you have a chance to get the blue chip LT with a trade up you should do it. And the fact we have 2 high second rounders makes it easy to do. The trade up only costs you a second. 

Edited by clskinsfan
  • Like 2

Yeah I kinda wanna give Peters as many bullets in the chamber as possible, but everything I've read says this draft falls off big time in talent after around 65 or so.

If there is only one good T left around like pick 29, I could see them packaging 36 or 40 and one of their later picks(100 and/or a 5th)to move up and get him.

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

There is a big difference between a blue chip LT and a mid round project. No matter how good Peters is at finding gems. If you have a chance to get the blue chip LT with a trade up you should do it. 

Agreed, but I don't think any of the OTs that will be available in the 20s are gonna be blue chip or even LTs. I like Guyton a lot but he's a RT. No chance Fashanu falls that far. The rest are also either RTs or will project to be Gs(like Morgan or Fautanu). Mims is a massive wild card but even he I think is more RT than LT.

8 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah I kinda wanna give Peters as many bullets in the chamber as possible, but everything I've read says this draft falls off big time in talent after around 65 or so.

If there is only one good T left around like pick 29, I could see them packaging 36 or 40 and one of their later picks(100 and/or a 5th)to move up and get him.

Agreed, but I don't think any of the OTs that will be available in the 20s are gonna be blue chip or even LTs. I like Guyton a lot but he's a RT. No chance Fashanu falls that far. The rest are also either RTs or will project to be Gs(like Morgan or Fautanu). Mims is a massive wild card but even he I think is more RT than LT.

The 2 seconds should get you up around 15 or so. A lot of mocks have Fashanu making it that far. That would be my target. But yeah I agree. It depends who falls at that point. If none of the guys you have rated as blue chippers fall. You just stay put and take someone like Morgan or Sua in the second. 

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

The 2 seconds should get you up around 15 or so. A lot of mocks have Fashanu making it that far. That would be my target. But yeah I agree. It depends who falls at that point. If none of the guys you have rated as blue chippers fall. You just stay put and take someone like Morgan or Sua in the second. 

Yeah I have Fashanu going 14 to New Orleans. I really don't like the idea of giving up both of our 2nds, I feel like we can find two quality starters and two quality starters at, say, Edge and any OL > one stud LT.

• Like 1

2024 NFL mock draft: Scouts predict the top 10 picks

2. Washington Commanders

Projected pick from an AFC national scout: Drake Maye, QB, North Carolina

Here's the first surprise of the mini-mock, with our scout assigned to the No. 2 pick opting for Maye over LSU's Jayden Daniels. Maye is No. 9 on my board, while Daniels is No. 5 overall.

"Maye has more upside," said the scout. "I question Daniels' ability to play in condensed spaces."

Another consideration for the scout making the pick? Maye's ability to make throws with pressure in his face and absorb the impact of free pass-rushers in the North Carolina passing game. He threw 10 touchdown passes (tied for seventh in the nation) when pressured in 2023. Maye (6-foot-4, 223 pounds) is often compared to Justin Herbert, and his vertical passing ability would no doubt fit well with wide receivers Terry McLaurin and Jahan Dotson in Washington.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Bantu said:

How many prospects visited the past couple of days? Was it more than just the 4 QBs?

They had more than 20 prospects in at the same time, I believe. Starting with a night out last night to Top Golf and ending in interviews and meetings today with various staff, scouts, and executives 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

There is a big difference between a blue chip LT and a mid round project. No matter how good Peters is at finding gems. If you have a chance to get the blue chip LT with a trade up you should do it. And the fact we have 2 high second rounders makes it easy to do. The trade up only costs you a second. 

I think we have different definitions of blue chip prospects. There won't be any blue chip OT's there. The only blue chip in the draft is Alt and some people question even that.

There are loads of good prospects however, and some projects with good to elite size and movement.

But that also means they carry more bust risk. Blue chips can run and pass block, have good size, move well, have a high ceiling and a high floor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

I think we have different definitions of blue chip prospects. There won't be any blue chip OT's there. The only blue chip in the draft is Alt and some people question even that.

There are loads of good prospects however, and some projects with good to elite size and movement.

But that also means they carry more bust risk. Blue chips can run and pass block, have good size, move well, have a high ceiling and a high floor.

This narrative has been slowly peaking it's head out of the sand over the past few weeks. Doesn't take away from the overall depth of the class, which I and many others still believe is deep; however, the amount of blue chip/can't miss prospects is less than we thought. Seems like Fashanu's drop was just the tip of the iceberg. 

I think the difference between for example a Tyler Guyton and Patrick Paul is not as much as we've been lead to believe. I actually think this favors Washington and maybe prevents giving up draft capital and just stick & pick an OT who they grade close to the others that may have been picked in the first round.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Bantu said:

I think the difference between for example a Tyler Guyton and Patrick Paul is not as much as we've been lead to believe. I actually think this favors Washington and maybe prevents giving up draft capital and just stick & pick an OT who they grade close to the others that may have been picked in the first round.

Ultimately I think both Guyton and Paul are developmental Tackle Prospects.  Both have the physical tools to succeed, but need a good amount of polish before they are ready to be quality starters (with no guarantee that they will ever get that polish).  But I definitely wouldn't trade up to get Guyton when I am confident I am get Paul at 40 if I want him.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, philibusters said:

Ultimately I think both Guyton and Paul are developmental Tackle Prospects.  Both have the physical tools to succeed, but need a good amount of polish before they are ready to be quality starters (with no guarantee that they will ever get that polish).  But I definitely wouldn't trade up to get Guyton when I am confident I am get Paul at 40 if I want him.

Having the two 2nds gives us some serious flexibility, particularly when looking at OT.  If that next group of tackles are all still available, you can move off 36 and then draft one at 40 (especially if one or more go before 40).  If they’re all still there at 40, you could wait to see who lasts to wherever you traded back to, assuming the team like more than one of these guys.

And that depth applies to other positions I assume we’re going to look closely at - DE, corner, wr, S and perhaps ILB.  And acquiring (even) more ammo in the 3rd-5th would be helpful in our situation.

Obviously it depends on who might fall to you (particularly at other positions) and whether you find a trading partner.

I think the sweet spot for OT is in the teens.

You’ve got the 6 top OTs (Alt, Fuaga, Fashanu, Fautanu, Latham, Mims), and while I wouldn’t want to be the team that reaches for any of them in the 5-7 range, I’d be extremely comfortable with all 6 in the teens. Some might consider that rich for Mims, but I think he’s the best talent of all 6 — it’s just a much more risky profile. Reminds a bit of the profile with Darrisaw and his back issue. 

And then I’m pretty much out on OTs at their projected pick slot for a while, unless Jordan Morgan falls into close range at 36. I’d do a small move up for him, just because I think he could be a viable OT out of the box, and I think he might be an excellent OG in a zone heavy system down the road. I do not want to be the first team to dive into the pile of comparable developmental projects, which is what most mockers continue to do with us (Suamataia or Paul at 36…I hate that concept). 

Love JPJ and Barton if they make it into the late 20s, and would love the value on Haynes or Beebe (depending on where they’re going with the scheme) in the late 2nd. 

Where I think the value might become enticing again on OTs is with 78 or 100. At that point, I think guys like Blake Fisher, Roger Rosengarten, Javon Foster, Caedan Wallace, Dominick Puni, etc., start to feel like legitimate value bets. That seems like another sweet spot to me, and a much better play than trying to force it with Paul or Suamataia 40-60 picks earlier. 

Edited by e16bball

13 minutes ago, e16bball said:

You’ve got the 5 top OTs (Alt, Fuaga, Fashanu, Latham, Mims), and while I wouldn’t want to be the team that reaches for any of them in the 5-7 range, I’d be extremely comfortable with all 5 in the teens. Some might consider that rich for Mims, but I think he’s the best talent of all 5 — it’s just a much more risky profile. Reminds a bit of the profile with Darrisaw and his back issue. 

I think Troy Fantanu should be with those top 5.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Yeah I'm curious too.  I actually liked what I saw from his cut ups.  It wasn't love, but I was definitely intrigued.

Absolutely, feel like he'd be a really good pick in the 3rd. He offers a lot that few can and the Commanders certainly don't have anything close. A very interesting weapon for whatever new QB is selected

If I’m drafting in the teens, moving down second round is going take more than our round 2 picks at 36/40.

They will want at least one high 25 pick.

Even if it’s 2 picks, that seems a lot for an o-lineman.

I’d rather stand Pat and take what’s available.

Now, if they could package Allen for our OT ; I’d be willing. We can draft his replacement,

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

You’ve got the 6 top OTs (Alt, Fuaga, Fashanu, Fautanu, Latham, Mims), and while I wouldn’t want to be the team that reaches for any of them in the 5-7 range, I’d be extremely comfortable with all 6 in the teens. Some might consider that rich for Mims, but I think he’s the best talent of all 6 — it’s just a much more risky profile. Reminds a bit of the profile with Darrisaw and his back issue. 

And then I’m pretty much out on OTs at their projected pick slot for a while, unless Jordan Morgan falls into close range at 36. I’d do a small move up for him, just because I think he could be a viable OT out of the box, and I think he might be an excellent OG in a zone heavy system down the road. I do not want to be the first team to dive into the pile of comparable developmental projects, which is what most mockers continue to do with us (Suamataia or Paul at 36…I hate that concept). 

Love JPJ and Barton if they make it into the late 20s, and would love the value on Haynes or Beebe (depending on where they’re going with the scheme) in the late 2nd. 

Where I think the value might become enticing again on OTs is with 78 or 100. At that point, I think guys like Blake Fisher, Roger Rosengarten, Javon Foster, Caedan Wallace, Dominick Puni, etc., start to feel like legitimate value bets. That seems like another sweet spot to me, and a much better play than trying to force it with Paul or Suamataia 40-60 picks earlier. 

Where consensus from mockers think these guys go and where they actually go are different.

For myself, I think Blake Fisher is appropriate value in the 2nd round. Not pick 36 value, but say 56? Sure.

But I'm with you on the concept of not wanting to reach out if desperation. Rome wasn't built in a day, going into the draft trying to hit home runs with every pick is not realistic. We're aiming for the fences with pick #2, let's let everything after that be filled with singles or doubles. And who knows, maybe we get lucky (i.e. McLaurin) and hit a triple.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

If I’m drafting in the teens, moving down second round is going take more than our round 2 picks at 36/40.

They will want at least one high 25 pick.

Even if it’s 2 picks, that seems a lot for an o-lineman.

I’d rather stand Pat and take what’s available.

Now, if they could package Allen for our OT ; I’d be willing. We can draft his replacement,

Who could we draft that replaces a multiple pro-bowler at DT? Back when Allen initially wanted a trade I started looking at some DT's in the 3rd/4th round and was curious about Michael Hall as that, but Hall lacks all of Allen's tenacity and toughness.

Allen has some serious, "I just lost at contact with the OL, but I'm going to figure out how to push him backwards and muddy up the pocket at the very least." Hall has none of that, once Hall gets stopped he's done.

I know you weren't talking about Hall specifically, but there's not much DT talent in round 3 and later that also doesn't come with serious red flags. Such as T'Vondre Sweat.