Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Interesting. Kinda like I've been saying. Round two could very well be DE and CB and OT, RB, WR in the 3rd.

I definitely think that's where the value is going to be for BPA.

I think you might be right, but the list of CBs I really like in range of 36 or 40 is pretty narrow.  Kool-Aid would be a big time BPA pick for me at 36, but I think he is less likely to be at our pick than Darius Robinson, Chop Robinson, or Jordan Morgan.  I thought I liked Kamari Lassiter at 36, but now I don't know.  A 4.6 is very slow for an outside corner, and I'm not sure he has the aggressiveness as a playmaker to move inside to a slot role and be an impact player.  If his 40 was actually low 4.5s like Field Yates said, then that would ease my concern about his recovery speed.

He doesn't look like a 4.6 guy on film FWIW.  He actually looks pretty fast, and his downhill speed really pops at times.  I would consider his CoD speed/agility a genuine strength.  If speed is not an issue, the second concern for me is this: do I value a corner who is a reliable blanket on outside receivers with man/zone flexibilty but doesn't make big plays over another player with much more checkered film who does make big plays?  Someone like Chop Robinson for instance.  Valuing reliability over playmaking in DBs is something I have a hard time with.  Especially for a new scheme where the staff seems to emphasize ball-hawking in their secondary.

As for other names at 36 or 40, I'm not a huge fan of TJ Tampa TBH.  I don't think he really has any man coverage potential, especially not on the outside.  And I think he's going to get flagged a ton in the NFL for holds and dangerous hits.  36 and 40 are too early for Sainristil too.  Tiny zone corners don't go high in the draft.  I don't really like Rakestraw either, so that pretty much only leaves Max Melton or Lassiter as potential targets at the top of the second.

I like the value on the FSU corners in the third round FWIW.  I picked Jarrian Jones in the ES mock draft, and I think he could be a really dynamic fit in the slot here.  The slot DB class is unusually strong this year.

34 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

As for DT Sweat I think you sit him down and talk to him.  As someone who represents DUI clients a lot, there are different types of guys.  Some are unlucky and acting dumb but will learn their lesson and grow from it, and then there's others that just were too dumb to suffer them.

A 0.08 BAC where you drank a beer and barely feel it but got grabbed bc you sped a little is way different than a 0.25 where you nearly kill a bunch of people.

It sounds like Sweat is a dummy and that he has a drinking problem.  I don't think there is much he can say to mitigate his behavior and reassure you that he's come to Jesus and won't keep drinking.  You have to weight the risk of his off-field behavior against his upside relative to the other players available at your pick during the draft.  We have to see who is available on draft day, but for me, that calculation will probably tip in his favor during our picks in the third, and definitely by 100.  If he were still somehow there at 139, I would run the pick to the podium.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Interesting. Kinda like I've been saying. Round two could very well be DE and CB and OT, RB, WR in the 3rd.

I definitely think that's where the value is going to be for BPA.

I reckon Peters might fancy his chances of addressing Edge and DB a bit later in the draft. I would expect us to move picks around to address that 4th round gap.

I don't feel like we'd be finding a starting OT in the third round

I'm looking for trades, I hope we don't end with only one first rounder

all the seconds and thirds should be availble.  Along with some picks next year

I'm not in a super rush to get anywhere, I just want our rookie QB to be well protected

3 hours ago, Dah-Dee said:

TE Tip Reiman. Not one of the more notable TE's and not one we have spoken much about. He is a good blocker, perhaps underrated with separation and hands since he was barely used in the pass game. Or, try to move to OL?

QB Tagovvailoa. @JamesMadisonSkinsshould crank up the trades machine to figure how many selections we pickup and go with Mariota and Tags as the rookie :806:.  Seriously, would this be like a late rounder to become a future backup for the top selection? 

3 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

TE Tip Reiman. Not one of the more notable TE's and not one we have spoken much about. He is a good blocker, perhaps underrated with separation and hands since he was barely used in the pass game. Or, try to move to OL?

QB Tagovvailoa. @JamesMadisonSkinsshould crank up the trades machine to figure how many selections we pickup and go with Mariota and Tags as the rookie :806:.  Seriously, would this be like a late rounder to become a future backup for the top selection? 

My guess is that they are considering Tagovailoa as an UDFA.  I doubt if he's drafted.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Your wish is my command, two takes:

image.png.4f1a347f697523817574fa07ab222338.png

image.png.0b17b492b37774afd6731a2ecdafa6c0.png

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I think you might be right, but the list of CBs I really like in range of 36 or 40 is pretty narrow.  Kool-Aid would be a big time BPA pick for me at 36, but I think he is less likely to be at our pick than Darius Robinson, Chop Robinson, or Jordan Morgan.  I thought I liked Kamari Lassiter at 36, but now I don't know.  A 4.6 is very slow for an outside corner, and I'm not sure he has the aggressiveness as a playmaker to move inside to a slot role and be an impact player.  If his 40 was actually low 4.5s like Field Yates said, then that would ease my concern about his recovery speed.

He doesn't look like a 4.6 guy on film FWIW.  He actually looks pretty fast, and his downhill speed really pops at times.  I would consider his CoD speed/agility a genuine strength.  If speed is not an issue, the second concern for me is this: do I value a corner who is a reliable blanket on outside receivers with man/zone flexibilty but doesn't make big plays over another player with much more checkered film who does make big plays?  Someone like Chop Robinson for instance.  Valuing reliability over playmaking in DBs is something I have a hard time with.  Especially for a new scheme where the staff seems to emphasize ball-hawking in their secondary.

As for other names at 36 or 40, I'm not a huge fan of TJ Tampa TBH.  I don't think he really has any man coverage potential, especially not on the outside.  And I think he's going to get flagged a ton in the NFL for holds and dangerous hits.  36 and 40 are too early for Sainristil too.  Tiny zone corners don't go high in the draft.  I don't really like Rakestraw either, so that pretty much only leaves Max Melton or Lassiter as potential targets at the top of the second.

I like the value on the FSU corners in the third round FWIW.  I picked Jarrian Jones in the ES mock draft, and I think he could be a really dynamic fit in the slot here.  The slot DB class is unusually strong this year.

Melton or Cam Hart I could see at 40. 36 I'm betting the best players will all mostly be edge, unless a tackle falls.

41 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Your wish is my command, two takes:

image.png.4f1a347f697523817574fa07ab222338.png

image.png.0b17b492b37774afd6731a2ecdafa6c0.png

Wow you are quick on these :806:

It would be truly amazing if we were in a position of being able to make this happen. Sadly our QB cupboard is pretty bare but you did pull Penix out with both of these.

53 minutes ago, Number 44 said:

My guess is that they are considering Tagovailoa as an UDFA.  I doubt if he's drafted.  

Maybe a 7th rounder but no likely you are correct. Just weird to use a top 30 visit for that

13 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Wow you are quick on these :806:

It would be truly amazing if we were in a position of being able to make this happen. Sadly our QB cupboard is pretty bare but you did pull Penix out with both of these.

Maybe a 7th rounder but no likely you are correct. Just weird to use a top 30 visit for that

Wasn't a top 30 viisit.  Schools within a certain distance of the NFL team - I think it's 50 miles - don't count as a top 30 visit.

3 minutes ago, Number 44 said:

Wasn't a top 30 viisit.  Schools within a certain distance of the NFL team - I think it's 50 miles - don't count as a top 30 visit.

Ah well that makes more sense. He was listed on the top 30 visits list

4 hours ago, Going Commando said:

It sounds like Sweat is a dummy and that he has a drinking problem.  I don't think there is much he can say to mitigate his behavior and reassure you that he's come to Jesus and won't keep drinking.  You have to weight the risk of his off-field behavior against his upside relative to the other players available at your pick during the draft.  We have to see who is available on draft day, but for me, that calculation will probably tip in his favor during our picks in the third, and definitely by 100.  If he were still somehow there at 139, I would run the pick to the podium.

Right, and people definitely can be good talkers but not walkers when it comes to these issues.  You gotta get him in house imo and really delve into it.  And I think until you've done that due diligence you probably push him down, and I think more generally wait to get him at a bit of a discount.  But whether we wanna discount him a little or a lot will come from that evaluation of his case.

Alas we probably don't get a ton of info about the specifics before the draft.

5 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Jarrian Jones has been my guys at slot for months aside from Sanstrill as I've mentioned here.   Feisty corner, can play man or zone, good ball skills, good against the run, great athlete.

We have even more overlap than usual in this draft as to favorite players.

I think the only major differences that hit me is i am higher on Jaylen Wright than you are and lower on Corum albiet i like Corum.

And while I agree with the BPA drill.  It's been my mantra too for eons.  i think there is a breaking point for me on it where I do think ignoring tackle in a rare draft that is strong at that spot -- is something I don't accept.  

My exception to BPA but I don'y really see it that way -- is when there is a rare bounty of possibilities at a spot, you grab one, that goes double at that one spot where you can rarely find outside of the draft.   And the reason why that is an exception to BPA is because it actually feeds into BPA. Every draft isn't equal at all spots.  Factoring a draft's strength is a principle of BPA.

And its not that I'd force a pick.  But the best analogy that hits me is lets say its a bumper crop for red delicious apples.  I'll find a way to grab an apple eventually.  it doesn't have to be in the spot or that spot but somewhere especially with 6 top 100 picks.   Feels insane to me to not find a tackle with all of those picks.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Melton or Cam Hart I could see at 40. 36 I'm betting the best players will all mostly be edge, unless a tackle falls.

That's only 4 spots later. I'd rather trade back and then grab them. I do like them, but I don't think either are borderline 1st's.

It's not a weak CB draft, so I'm not too worried about a major CB run grabbing the only good ones.

Right now if Kool-Aid isn't there at 36, I'm almost of the opinion that we should trade down.  This draft is so deep at WR and day 2 RT types (Paul, Rosengarten, Fisher, etc) that we could still get one after trading down.  Arizona made a fantastic trade last year trading #33 for 41+72+future 3rd rounder from the Titans who took Levis.  If Nix or Penix are there at 36/40, we could make a killing trading down.  Considering the depth in this year's class, Carolina (whom is locked into taking a WR with either of their 2nd rounders) should do a similar trade down). 

Here are some examples of trades from last year in our range.

1). In 2023, Vegas traded 38+141 for 35 (Carolina has similar picks if they want to do something like that this year)

2). In 2023, Indy traded 38 for 44+110

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Ummmm.....no.  He's too hot and cold and his character is now in question.  He looks horrible in the Alabama film and to me looks like a Day 3 pick.  Then you watch his Oklahoma film and he looks much better.

He reminds me of Terrence Cody out of Alabama a few years ago.  I honestly think he would be a waste of a pick.  He just can't move.

Now if you are talking about Braden Fiske then you might get my attention.  He might fall because he's already 24 years old.

4 hours ago, mhd24 said:

Right now if Kool-Aid isn't there at 36, I'm almost of the opinion that we should trade down.  This draft is so deep at WR and day 2 RT types (Paul, Rosengarten, Fisher, etc) that we could still get one after trading down.  Arizona made a fantastic trade last year trading #33 for 41+72+future 3rd rounder from the Titans who took Levis.  If Nix or Penix are there at 36/40, we could make a killing trading down.  Considering the depth in this year's class, Carolina (whom is locked into taking a WR with either of their 2nd rounders) should do a similar trade down). 

1). In 2023, Vegas traded 38+141 for 35 (Carolina has similar picks if they want to do something like that this year)

Great research. I am kind of tempted to do the same unless there is another first round caliber guy we like who falls. We don't have a pick in the 4th now and, if you look at the mocks, there will almost assuredly be some intriguing talents who will be available in the early to mid 4th. Alternatively, I would also be up for stockpiling picks in 2025 and would take a 3rd next year.

Edited by method man

Speaking of character, Burton is a good get IMO if he falls because of his hot headed-diva type issues

11 hours ago, mhd24 said:

In theory I like it.  But there are certain players I wouldn't pass on:  Jordan Morgan, Ladd McConkey, Darius Robinson in particular.

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Speaking of character, Burton is a good get IMO if he falls because of his hot headed-diva type issues

In theory I like it.  But there are certain players I wouldn't pass on:  Jordan Morgan, Ladd McConkey, Darius Robinson in particular.

Yeah, too bad they probably won't be there :)

Robinson might be there, but he's IMO edge 5 after Turner, Verse, Latu (depending on medicals), and Chop.  Tampa, Bills, Ravens, and SF could all use DL help and could take him.

Morgan is an athletic tackle that teams like GB, Ravens, SF (especially), KC, and NE (who needs a LT just as much as we do) could take.

Ladd might be there, but again, I think because the depth is so great at WR this year that if we got an Arizona trade down offer type I'd do it.  Carolina is taking a WR (maybe two) for sure with either of their 2nd rounders.  NE also needs WR help desperately.  KC (with Rice's legal issues) could take one.  AZ (if they don't take one at 4 and trade down) could take one at 27.  

Of the above three, I actually think Ladd might have the best chance of making it to 36.  After the big 4 (MHJ, Nabers, Odunze, Thomas), some teams may prefer Mitchell & Worthy above him.  He's battling them though for WR5. 

Edited by mhd24

Been watching more Jalen McMillan.  He's for me a peg or so behind McConkey, Pearsall, Wilson as a slot but he might be solidly my next guy in that next tier.

I know he was banged up in 2023, so that effected him some.  I got to watch some 2022.  the thing that puts him in below the other guys is watching him there seems to be some stiffness-lack of suddeness in short space and lack of explosion compared to the others.    I don't like him as much on contested catches etiher

But somehow this dude gets open, especially against zone, finds the seam.   They use him in the backfield in motion.  I saw him throw a pass. Take a handff. Seems a decent run blocker.  He comes off a smart player. His athletic scores including agility scores were really good. Sort of a taller -- more athletic Crowder?

In that late third-4th round range I would go Burton (character flaws and all) and, Polk, Thrash over McMillan but he seems to be a solid pick -- high floor slot.

13 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Yeah, too bad they probably won't be there :)

Robinson might be there, but he's IMO edge 5 after Turner, Verse, Latu (depending on medicals), and Chop.  Tampa, Bills, Ravens, and SF could all use DL help and could take him.

Morgan is an athletic tackle that teams like GB, Ravens, SF (especially), KC, and NE (who needs a LT just as much as we do) could take.

Ladd might be there, but again, I think because the depth is so great at WR this year that if we got an Arizona trade down offer type I'd do it.  Carolina is taking a WR (maybe two) for sure with either of their 2nd rounders.  NE also needs WR help desperately.  KC (with Rice's legal issues) could take one.  AZ (if they don't take one at 4 and trade down) could take one at 27.  

Of the above three, I actually think Ladd might have the best chance of making it to 36.  After the big 4 (MHJ, Nabers, Odunze, Thomas), some teams may prefer Mitchell & Worthy above him.  He's battling them though for WR5. 

Ladd is tough for me to pass on.  If I had to pick one guy in this draft that would be tops on my guys list it would be Ladd, he was one of my early draft crushes.  His floor is high IMO and ceiling is plenty high enough.  Then you add all the intangibles which remind me some of Terry.

As far as high floor Wrs, I got a lot of faith though in Pearsall, R. Wilson.  Burton would be on that list with me too if his character checks out.

But especially if we take Maye, McConkey seems so tailor made.  He's the type who if he played for McVay would catch 100 balls assuming he stays healthy.  But I don't think Pearsall and Wilson who have similar style to their play are a mile away.  In short, I'd kill for one of those three and that goes double if we took Maye.

Otherwise if we wait to the 3rd-4th -- Thrash, Burton (if he falls), McMllian, Polk, Johnny Wilson.  I think McMillian might be the safest in that mix.  But I like the others upside more.  Johnny Wilson I go back and forth on.  But there was one draftnik who made a good point that look at him as a hybrid WR-F TE type.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise

The two most interesting visits that we've hosted are Brian Thomas and Jonathan Brooks IMO.  Leggette and Corley will be available at our second rounders, but interest in Thomas means they are sniffing around a trade up that would take both of our seconds probably.

Brooks is probably an early third round option, while the other backs we brought in are late rounders.  This RB class is super deep, and provides genuine rotation quality into the seventh round.  But Brooks is the one guy with definite early round talent.  Third rounder and then redshirt season with him?  I'm not sure I would do it, but he would definitely add some speed and home run ability to the backfield.  He ran for 3500 yards and 62 touchdowns as a senior in High School.  That's about as crazy of high school stats I've ever heard of, akin to Derrick Brown's, and it reminds me of the seasons I would have on NCAA football when I turned the difficulty all of the way down and the AI sliders all of the way up.  Derrick Brown's ridiculous knack for piling up plays on the ball actually translated to the NFL.  He basically plays linebacker snaps with linebacker production as a 3-5 technique, it's totally unique.  Might some of Brooks's ridiculous knack for the end zone translate to the NFL too?

7 hours ago, method man said:

Great research. I am kind of tempted to do the same unless there is another first round caliber guy we like who falls. We don't have a pick in the 4th now and, if you look at the mocks, there will almost assuredly be some intriguing talents who will be available in the early to mid 4th. Alternatively, I would also be up for stockpiling picks in 2025 and would take a 3rd next year.

Yeah, we kind of have an assumption of the value for trading down from our pick from looking at previous drafts.

In 2022, Jets traded 36 for 38+146 (10 spots from the top of round 5)

In 2022, Falcons traded 38 for 43+114 (a mid 4th)

In 2022, Indy traded 42+122 ( (mid 4th) for 53+77 (mid 3rd)+192 (mid 6th)

In 2021, Bengals traded 38 for 46+122 (20 spots from the top of round 4)+139 (early 5th)

In 2021, Carolina traded 39+151 (mid 5th) for 52+83 (mid 3rd)+204 (27 spots from top of round 6)

In 2021, Giants traded 42 for 50+future 3rd

In 2020, Browns traded 41 for 44+160 (24 spots from top of round 5)

In 2019, Raiders traded 35+140 (top of round 5)+235 (mid 7th) for 38+109 (8 spots from top of round 4)

In 2019, Seahawks traded 37 for 47+77 (12 spots from top of round 3)

In 2019, Raiders traded 38 for 40+158 (mid 5th)

So in summary, if we move down 1-3 spots from either 2nd, we will get an early 5th round pick.  Move down 5 spots, we can get a mid 4th (something we lack right now).  Trade down 8-10 spots, we either get a mid 3rd or a 3rd the following year.

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Ladd is tough for me to pass on.  If I had to pick one guy in this draft that would be tops on my guys list it would be Ladd, he was one of my early draft crushes.  His floor is high IMO and ceiling is plenty high enough.  Then you add all the intangibles which remind me some of Terry.

As far as high floor Wrs, I got a lot of faith though in Pearsall, R. Wilson.  Burton would be on that list with me too if his character checks out.

But especially if we take Maye, McConkey seems so tailor made.  He's the type who if he played for McVay would catch 100 balls assuming he stays healthy.  But I don't think Pearsall and Wilson who have similar style to their play are a mile away.  In short, I'd kill for one of those three and that goes double if we took Maye.

Otherwise if we wait to the 3rd-4th -- Thrash, Burton (if he falls), McMllian, Polk, Johnny Wilson.  I think McMillian might be the safest in that mix.  But I like the others upside more.  Johnny Wilson I go back and forth on.  But there was one draftnik who made a good point that look at him as a hybrid WR-F TE type.  

Yeah, I was listening to Logan on Keim's podcast and he really liked Pearsall.  He also liked Burton a lot, but said he had character issues.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

The two most interesting visits that we've hosted are Brian Thomas and Jonathan Brooks IMO.  Leggette and Corley will be available at our second rounders, but interest in Thomas means they are sniffing around a trade up that would take both of our seconds probably.

Brooks is probably an early third round option, while the other backs we brought in are late rounders.  This RB class is super deep, and provides genuine rotation quality into the seventh round.  But Brooks is the one guy with definite early round talent.  Third rounder and then redshirt season with him?  I'm not sure I would do it, but he would definitely add some speed and home run ability to the backfield.  He ran for 3500 yards and 62 touchdowns as a senior in High School.  That's about as crazy of high school stats I've ever heard of, akin to Derrick Brown's, and it reminds me of the seasons I would have on NCAA football when I turned the difficulty all of the way down and the AI sliders all of the way up.  Derrick Brown's ridiculous knack for piling up plays on the ball actually translated to the NFL.  He basically plays linebacker snaps with linebacker production as a 3-5 technique, it's totally unique.  Might some of Brooks's ridiculous knack for the end zone translate to the NFL too?

Yeah, I think Brooks is a definite potential pick for us with our first 3rd.  We redshirt him and hope he doesn't become Bryce Love 2.0.  He's a big time talent and B-Rob would be entering his last year after this season (and Ekelar is a short-term solution as well), so thinking ahead is a smart strategy.

I think Thomas is kind of going to fall through no fault of his own.  With the depth of this class, who is taking him in the teens?

11). Minnesota (will be used in a trade up for a QB)

12). Denver (can't see them taking WR.  They are a big time trade down team (for another team who wants CB1 (like Arnold or Mitchell)

13). Vegas (RT is a major need and Fuaga/Latham/Fautanu will be there)

14). Saints (O-line is a huge need area and Fashanu, Fuaga, Fautanu, Latham all represent value)

15). Colts (maybe, but I think they go edge or CB (Arnold/Mitchell (whomever is left))

16). Seattle (no way as OL is a major need and Fautanu could be the pick)

17). Jags (maybe, but I think they grab CB3 (Wiggins))

18). Bengals (Yes, but could go DT1 (Murphy) or CB3 (Wiggins if still available))

19). Rams (Perhaps, but could go Edge, CB, or DT)

20). Steelers (Sneaky yes as they traded away Johnson.  However, CB and OL are major need areas as well)

21). Miami (no way)

22). Philly (no way)

23). Minnesota (will be used in trade up for QB)

24). Dallas (maybe, but I think this OL)

25). GB (no way)

26). Tampa (maybe, but edge or OL makes more sense)

27). Cards (only if they don't take WR at 4)

28). Bills (Yes)

5 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Yeah, I was listening to Logan on Keim's podcast and he really liked Pearsall.  He also liked Burton a lot, but said he had character issues.

Among other things Burton hit a female fan storming the field.  He said he just put his hand up and she ran into it.  But he's a hot head.   I took Burton in the board's mock draft.  Explosive player, good hands, best YPC among the 35 or so WRs am tracking.

As for Pearsall, he's IMO of the same ilk as McConkey.  Great at seperating.  Technician route runner.  Good athlete too like Ladd. Great hands.  I prefer Ladd but Pearsall would be the closest thing stylistically for me.  With R. Wilson being the next guy after that in that style.  McConkey though IMO the better player because IMO he's more dangerous with the ball in his hands 

13 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I've mentioned Brooks on and off whenever I watch Texas. Among their guys:  Mitchell, Worthy, Sanders -- whenever I watch them the dude I can't keep my eyes off of is Brooks.  Explosive home run hitter.

Clearly they are bringing him for a visit for medicals.  Brooks claims he will be ready for training camp.  That's hard to believe but not every ACL tear is the same as to recovery so who knows?