Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

So… just a thought experiment…

But if you’re Minnesota and you want to swap with Arizona…

Do you offer Justin Jefferson?

Get that look off your face. Hear me out.

Arizona is going to have a hard time budging off of 4, they want (and need) Marvin Harrison. 

I very much doubt Jefferson is going to stay with Minnesota, though if he wants to this is kind of moot. And they’re probably going to stink anyways.

Do they offer one of their firsts and Justin Jefferson to move up to 4 and get McCarthy?

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

16 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Arizona is going to have a hard time budging off of 4, they want (and need) Marvin Harrison. 

I very much doubt Jefferson is going to stay with Minnesota, though if he wants to this is kind of moot. And they’re probably going to stink anyways.

Do they offer one of their firsts and Justin Jefferson to move up to 4 and get McCarthy?

I'm starting the think that NYG is going to take JJ if he's there at 6.  Jones has had two serious neck injuries and is coming off an ACL.  I think the cost is going to be 11+23+2025 1st to move up for Minnesota.  Does Zona or the Bolts take that package?  

NYG might offer their 2nd (via Seattle)+6 to the Bolts to move up to 5 if Arizona stays at 4.  Bolts gets MHJ or Nabers (whomever Arizona doesn't take) while NYG gets JJ. 

• Thumb up 1

9 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Cool.

As long as we come out of the draft with at least one rookie OT with first year qyality starter potential I'm good with it.

I

I think we either package a 2nd and a 3rd to move up to the middle of the 1st, in that Fautanu range or between 20 and 30 range to target Mims, Guyton, JPJ, Barton or at least Morgan. Or we keep hounding Denver to trade us Boles for a pic and cap relief. He's 32 this year and coming off a pretty good year. What should we give up for a starting LT that we should be able to keep for another 3-4 years?

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, mudhog said:

I think we either package a 2nd and a 3rd to move up to the middle of the 1st, in that Fautanu range or between 20 and 30 range to target Mims, Guyton, JPJ, Barton or at least Morgan. Or we keep hounding Denver to trade us Boles for a pic and cap relief. He's 32 this year and coming off a pretty good year. What should we give up for a starting LT that we should be able to keep for another 3-4 years?

Don't know enough about Boles level of play, health, attitude, etc., to make a meaningful assessment of his worth.

If we could get Fautanu for a 2 and a 3, I'd do it.

Mims, later in the first, intrigues me more than any other OT. 

IF he hits, you've got King Kong dominating DEs from the blind side for the next decade, otoh he could be a complete bust.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Don't know enough about Boles level of play, health, attitude, etc., to make a meaningful assessment of his worth.

If we could get Fautanu for a 2 and a 3, I'd do it.

Mims, later in the first, intrigues me more than any other OT. 

IF he hits, you've got King Kong dominating DEs from the blind side for the next decade, otoh he could be a complete bust.

Yes, total guess on my part about what each value a pick is worth. I am not a bean counter as others are on this board, but just guessing, I think a high 2nd and low third would get you to 16th pic. Hell, it could take adding a 6th rounder as well. But to your point, I want a massive human being to be the LT even if he's a bit raw. Mims is just that, although he's more RT. And he can move that massive frame.

When it's all said and done...1.) I want the QB with the most upside. To me that's Maye. I don't care that he's raw at certain things, the natural talent is there. 2.) I want a LT to protect his blind side. I'd rather have a veteran for this, with his natural position being LT and not RT. But if not a vet, then a friggin Yeti that can move.

Edited by mudhog
  • Like 6

25 minutes ago, mudhog said:

Yes, total guess on my part about what each value a pick is worth. I am not a bean counter as others are on this board, but just guessing, I think a high 2nd and low third would get you to 16th pic. Hell, it could take adding a 6th rounder as well. But to your point, I want a massive human being to be the LT even if he's a bit raw. Mims is just that, although he's more RT. And he can move that massive frame.

When it's all said and done...1.) I want the QB with the most upside. To me that's Maye. I don't care that he's raw at certain things, the natural talent is there. 2.) I want a LT to protect his blind side. I'd rather have a veteran for this, with his natural position being LT and not RT. But if not a vet, then a friggin Yeti that can move.

I would love the next OT we draft to not be a OG/OT tweener. I don’t care if he busts, I want to at least attempt getting a 6”5-6”7 dude with 36 inch arms. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

12 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

I would love the next OT we draft to not be a OG/OT tweener. I don’t care if he busts, I want to at least attempt getting a 6”5-6”7 dude with 36 inch arms. 

Yes sir. I totally agree with this point. I have a feeling that we will move up into the first round for a higher-end OT. But I also think we could pick Paul at 40, which is another massive human being. Between the two, we can see who fills L or R better. I know our ES mock has us taking Kingsley at our natural pick at 36. It's a mock and therefore just a guess, but I don't see a brain like GMAP leaving such an important position left to chance. We finally have our Bethard/Casserley back in the building after 30 years. They have a plan and I guarantee it will not play out like the mock has it. 

The only tweener I would take would be Barton. But we would have to take Paul as well. I would take any combo of Mims, Barton Guyton Morgan or Paul and feel comfortable

Edited by mudhog

4 hours ago, KDawg said:

Hypothetical: 

Minnesota gets: #2 pick

Washington gets: #4, #23 pick, 2nd rounder (2025, from Minny)

Arizona gets: #11 and JJ.

Would you do it?

*I didnt check any draft value chart on this😂

7 hours ago, KDawg said:

I think Jefferson has more trade value than that. A while back there was a scenario mapped out sending him to then Bengals in exchange for a couple of high picks plus Tee Higgins.

I do the ink it’s very plausible that they move on from Jefferson. I also think AZ would be open to trade out of #4, then back up into the top 10

3 hours ago, illone said:

Hypothetical: 

Would you do it?

That’s my 3 team hypothetical too :ols:

Minnesota #2

Washington #4 plus a 2025 first from Minnesota.

Arizona #11 and #23 

Plus change in amongst that, a few later round picks.

• Like 1

It sounds like at pick 9 chicago picks is available.

What would it take to get up that high? John allen if he does not want to be here and a second? Is it a move worth making? 

We would have are pick of most of the OT then? All the OT should be there except the Notre Dame guy.

Edited by Redskins 2021

50 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

It sounds like at pick 9 chicago picks is available.

What would it take to get up that high? John allen if he does not want to be here and a second? Is it a move worth making? 

We would have are pick of most of the OT then? All the OT should be there except the Notre Dame guy.

I don't think Allen has that much trade value. He's coming off a bad season(relatively), he's not that young, and we'd be trading for a top 10 pick. 

And we're not trading him anyway. GMAP came out and said he talked to Allen and he appears to be excited about the new coach and fresh start. 

Besides, if we trade Allen we just create another hole on the team. We'd have to commit some kind of resources to filling that spot too. You're just playing whack a mole except you're trading a known quantity for an unknown quantity(and have to give up other assets on top).

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't think Allen has that much trade value. He's coming off a bad season(relatively), he's not that young, and we'd be trading for a top 10 pick. 

And we're not trading him anyway. GMAP came out and said he talked to Allen and he appears to be excited about the new coach and fresh start. 

Besides, if we trade Allen we just create another hole on the team. We'd have to commit some kind of resources to filling that spot too. You're just playing whack a mole except you're trading a known quantity for an unknown quantity(and have to give up other assets on top).

Agree on creating a new roster hole. We sure would have been in a better position for a trade like this if Mathis proved his worth.

9 hours ago, illone said:

Hypothetical: 

Would you do it?

I'd need Jefferson as well just for me to even give it any thought

Reg. Fautanu, I know his arm length is good but he's also a wee bit short at 6'3'' for a T. Still think he ends up as a G.

Our best hope is that Fashanu somehow drops to like the 20s and we can package 36 and 67 for him(might have to throw in 100 as well). If not, I'm on board with standing pat because there's a mish mash of Ts after that and one will drop to 36.

• Like 2

I listen to Ross Tucker’s football podcast (which is great) and he often has on Emory Hunt, a draft analyst. Hunt is great, super in depth on all the positions and usually has some unique takes. I bought his draft guide, and his QB rankings are VERY unique. He’s at his best finding sleepers because he delves deep into all levels including HBCUs and Canada.

He bases it purely off tape- not combines or pro days. I was a little frustrated because he has the heights and weights wrong (had Maye and Daniels as 6’3)

I listened to him today and he had Fautanu from UW as his number one OT, slightly ahead of Joe Alt.

Anyway, 

QB:

1.Caleb

2.Daniels

3.Rattler

4.Jordan Travis

5.Drake Maye

6.Penix

7.McCarthy

IMG_0775.png

IMG_0776.png

IMG_0777.png

Edited by seantaylor=god
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There comes a point where “super unique rankings based solely on tape” can become just sniffing your own farts. Matt Waldman is another guy who sometimes falls prey to this habit. It doesn’t mean they don’t put in the work. It doesn’t mean they’re hot take artists. But being contrarian has its positives and negatives. 

1 minute ago, Conn said:

There comes a point where “super unique rankings based solely on tape” can become just sniffing your own farts. Matt Waldman is another guy who sometimes falls prey to this habit. It doesn’t mean they don’t put in the work. It doesn’t mean they’re hot take artists. But being contrarian has its positives and negatives. 

Yeah, he puts in the work on breadth (900 players including waaaay in the weeds but the depth is only 3 games. 

But it’s a great resource for looking up our late round guys and UDFAs.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KDawg said:

If I am Arizona I take that deal. Jefferson + #11. What is the value of Jefferson? Two 1sts? 

If I am Arizona I would push for Jefferson, #11 and maybe a future 2nd or something.

And I know Minnesota is stockpiling ammunition to move up, but seems strange that they'd make a move to get #23 if they weren't planning to include that pick in a package to move up, and to me #11 + #23 + Jefferson feels like way too much to give up. So maybe Minnesota offers #23, Jefferson, and a future 1st and retains #11 to grab a WR that falls? Lots of moving parts.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

9 hours ago, illone said:

Hypothetical: 

Would you do it?

So Minnesota would be giving up #11, 23 and Jefferson + a 2nd in 2025. That seems like a lot for them to part with to go to #2. 

ARZ gives up #4 and gets #11 and JJ

WSH gives up #2 and gets #4, #23 and a future 2

MIN gives up #11, #23, future 2, Jefferson and gets #2

ARZ wins that deal. Not sure I do it if I am WSH. You lose control of who you get at QB and only do this deal if you really like JJ McCarthy and are willing to take him at #4. Not sure gettin #23 back in this deal really makes that worth it unless you like Daniels/Maye/JJ equally.

I like Emory Hunt. 

He had Stroud ranked ahead of Young last year, kudos to him for nailing that. 

Previous year he had Malik Willis as the #2 pick. 

He is worth following during the season for his college picks, and does a great job with his Sun Belt analysis. 

I wouldnt use his mock draft the same way I’d use his football picks, though. 

• Thanks 1

Thinking about scenarios to get back into the 1st for an OT and most discussions have focused on getting back into the 20's. But I'd be curious to know what folks on here would think about a home-run type scenario ...

Denver likely won't be able to get a QB of the future at #12 and anything they do there is likely a reach. They also lack a 2nd rounder. Two possible scenarios:

Scenario 1:

WSH sends #36 + #40 +a future 2nd for #12, #121

Value to DEN: 371

Value to WSH: 369

Denver has a future 2nd to make a play in 2025, but also has #36 + #40 to grab a QB or move up into R1 to get Nix or Penix

Scenario 2:

WSH Sends #36, #78 and a future 1st for #12

Value to DEN: 346

Value to WSH: 347

Denver has a future 1st to get really aggressive in 2025, adds a 2nd and 3rd this year to "tank" a bit this year while re-stocking talent in a deep class.

#36 + #40 + a future 1st would def. get it done, IMO, but that's giving up too much in my mind.

Value to DEN: 436

Value to WSH: 346

And this hypothetical would be to get Fuaga or Fashanu ... so basically guaranteeing you a franchise QB+LT. 

I love the idea of having #2, #12, #40, #67, #100, #121, #139, #151 ... You can do a lot of damage with that, and it lessens the blow not having a 1st in 2025. I also think it would be nice to have #2, #12, #67, #78, #100, #139, #151 ... and you still have your 1st in 2025 (albeit, you're down your 2nd). I think a lot of us would be perfectly fine having 3, 3, 3, 5, 5 to address the rest of the roster if you guarantee a franchise QB and LT. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

13 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

and to me #11 + #23 + Jefferson feels like way too much to give up. 

Its going to take a HAUL to get up to 2. 

My hypothetical assumes Jefferson wants out since he wont want to rebuild with a rookie QB, which diminishes his value for Minny. 

But yea he is worth more than his initial draft slot… Ruggs, Jeudy, and Raegor were picked ahead of him. 

We could ask for another pick from AZ but they are probably going to need a decent haul to move down too. JJ might entice them to consider it as Kyler needs a weapon. 

Mine also assumes Minny covets Maye or Daniels. 

Vikes could just as easily stand pat and grab Penix at 11 or 23 if he slips. 

• Thumb up 1

11 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Thinking about scenarios to get back into the 1st for an OT and most discussions have focused on getting back into the 20's. But I'd be curious to know what folks on here would think about a home-run type scenario ...

I only consider this an option if one of Fashanu, Alt or Fuaga are available at #12. I don't think I'm giving up this much for Latham, Fautanu, Mims, etc. 

• Like 1

If Odunze is there at #9 somehow, give me him over any tackle in this draft. I would give up a 2nd and a 2025 first to move up to get him. He is the best WR prospect in the past 10 years sans Harrison Jr, Chase and Cooper…a true HOF upside player who elevates who we take at QB at #2

5 minutes ago, method man said:

If Odunze is there at #9 somehow, give me him over any tackle in this draft. I would give up a 2nd and a 2025 first to move up to get him. He is the best WR prospect in the past 10 years sans Harrison Jr, Chase and Cooper…a true HOF upside player who elevates who we take at QB at #2

I get it, long-term visioning, etc. But we have a lot more at WR than we do at OT, and by flipping a future 1st and #36 to make this move up (and it would likely take more) we do hamstring ourselves on addressing the OT spot in this and future drafts.

Here, I've got you:

#36 + #100 + 2025 first to CHI for #9

#40, #67, #78, future 2nd to Denver for #12

#9: Odunze

#12: Fuaga

We'd wipe out our draft through R5 this year and would lack a 1 and 2 next year, but we'd have 3 blue-chippers to speak for it haha. Although this feels totally counter to what this FO has done in the past ... they value those mid-round and future picks and probably feel they can make a bigger impact there and not need to trade all up into R1 for blue-chippers.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Thumb up 2

Just now, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I get it, long-term visioning, etc. But we have a lot more at WR than we do at OT, and by flipping a future 1st and #36 to make this move up (and it would likely take more) we do hamstring ourselves on addressing the OT spot in this and future drafts.

You can still take OT at #40. If we are looking at a different formulation where both 2nds are needed to move up, you can package 2 3rds to get back into the second to take OT