Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

5 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Yep no chance you take him at 40

Yeah I hope we take a high upside LT prospect at 36 and somehow parlay 40 into a pick somewhere in the 50s and another 3rd(or maybe 4th depending on how the value shakes out). Then use that later pick on either Corley or Coleman or some other talented but risky WR prospect that falls. 

7 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah I hope we take a high upside LT prospect at 36 and somehow parlay 40 into a pick somewhere in the 50s and another 3rd(or maybe 4th depending on how the value shakes out). Then use that later pick on either Corley or Coleman or some other talented but risky WR prospect that falls. 

I like Polk as that day 2 receiver.

Puni (funny name for a lineman) should be able to start right away at G and has a decent shot at moving outside. I think he can play through the shorter arm issue with some NFL coaching and the right team.

Edited by DWinzit

13 hours ago, Redskins 2021 said:

Would you trade J. Allen and one of the second rd picks to the Bears for pick number 9? 

We would be able to get one of the top OT then. I would have to at least think about it but would probably say no.

I'd do it in a heartbeat but I'm probably in the minority...

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

17 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

If this is true then we should be looking to either trade into the 1st round or trading back some in the 2nd round to pick up more picks right? 

Yes. And I think this is especially the case for us, as the “break” between tiers at the positions we’re looking at seems likely to happen shortly before our pick. At least based on where the draftniks have the players going in their mocks. 

For example, I think there’s a pretty big drop off at OT after Morgan/Guyton — both of whom seem likely to go in the late 20s or early 30s. I think there’s a meaningful drop after Kool-Aid among the CBs, and he’s another who looks likely to go in the late 20s or early 30s. I think there’s a big drop off after the two Robinsons at the EDGE position, and (guess what?) they’re both likely to be in the 20s or early 30s. I don’t think the drop off is quite as steep at the WR position, but after Sanders’s pro day numbers, there’s obviously no TE in play at 36/40 either. 

In other words, I do not think 36 and 40 are great “fits” for our needs and the draft board. I think the ideal scenario might be to use one of the 3rds to move up from 36 into the late 20s, and then trade back from 40 into the mid-late 50s to recoup that 3rd rounder. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, e16bball said:

Yes. And I think this is especially the case for us, as the “break” between tiers at the positions we’re looking at seems likely to happen shortly before our pick. At least based on where the draftniks have the players going in their mocks. 

For example, I think there’s a pretty big drop off at OT after Morgan/Guyton — both of whom seem likely to go in the late 20s or early 30s. I think there’s a meaningful drop after Kool-Aid among the CBs, and he’s another who looks likely to go in the late 20s or early 30s. I think there’s a big drop off after the two Robinsons at the EDGE position, and (guess what?) they’re both likely to be in the 20s or early 30s. I don’t think the drop off is quite as steep at the WR position, but after Sanders’s pro day numbers, there’s obviously no TE in play at 36/40 either. 

In other words, I do not think 36 and 40 are great “fits” for our needs and the draft board. I think the ideal scenario might be to use one of the 3rds to move up from 36 into the late 20s, and then trade back from 40 into the mid-late 50s to recoup that 3rd rounder. 

Good post.  I’m seeing much the same, though to fair, I’m only going off mocks/analysts, so I could see your scenario playing out.  I think the first question is what happens with the qbs - McCarthy, Penix and Nix.  If they all go prior to 36, better chance someone drops to us.  And conversely, if one of them is still there at 36 (or 40), that may increase our chance of being able to trade down.  Then there’s the idea there are always instances of a prospect going earlier than “expected”.  Obviously not a lot of wriggle room with only 35 players going before our 2nd rounder, but it’s certainly possible.  And then of course it depends on how our board looks - someone we see in that next tier might be higher for our FO.  Perhaps they’d love to land Kneeland, Braswell or Trice at 36, or one of the tackles, corners or receivers.  Heck, maybe even a safety.

Probably the overriding thought I have though is my sense that our FO (driven by Quinn’s philosophy) is going to be focused on a prospect being able to do (at least) one thing particularly well, and that creates an unknown variable for us fans.  So we might push a guy down because of a negative trait, but they know they can coach/scheme around it.  It’s going to be a fascinating draft for sure.

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

We did alot of great things in FA, but the oline still a major problem.

Yep.  Given how they’ve addressed other spots, I have to think the FO is well aware too.  The good news (IMO) is 1) it’s a deep OT draft, 2) we’ve got a lot of picks (we could potentially land 2 OTs), and 3) we don’t have to “solve” the position this year - its about the future for this team.  I’m not high on Lucas (though he’s been a quality swing tackle) or Wylie (who is?), but they, along with our other tackles, at least offer a baseline of competition for the two spots.

Kliff’s gonna have to earn his keep protecting/helping our starting tackles.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The more I look at it, the more I wanna trade down one of our 2nds. I'd love to drop down to like 50 ish and get another 3rd if possible.

I’m could see that happening but 36 and 40 are premier picks still. 

All options open, I still reckon we trade back up for a LT

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

The more I look at it, the more I wanna trade down one of our 2nds. I'd love to drop down to like 50 ish and get another 3rd if possible.

Would that be your preference, even if it meant not getting a potential starting OT; by either drafting one with that particular pick, or using that pick, as part of a package, to trade UP into the mid to late first round for a quality OT?

Edited by CommanderInTheRye

19 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Would that be your preference, even if it meant not getting a potential starting OT; by either drafting one with that particular pick, or using that pick, as part of a package, to trade UP into the mid to late first round for a quality OT?

I think we can get an OT with one of the two picks, which is why I'd wanna trade down with the other. 

• Thumb up 1

Sorry guys, I don't follow college football so I was wondering if y'all could tell me

1. Which QB played in the toughest conference. Williams, May, Daniels or McCarthy??

2. Which QB played (if any) in a more Pro style offense?

Thank you

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I think we can get an OT with one of the two picks, which is why I'd wanna trade down with the other. 

Cool.

As long as we come out of the draft with at least one rookie OT with first year qyality starter potential I'm good with it.

I

1 hour ago, Hailmary70 said:

Sorry guys, I don't follow college football so I was wondering if y'all could tell me

1. Which QB played in the toughest conference. Williams, May, Daniels or McCarthy??

2. Which QB played (if any) in a more Pro style offense?

Thank you

I don’t think these are particularly relevant as a predictor of NFL success but I will try and address it:

1. Probably Daniels  or JJ McCarthy 

2. I don’t even know what “pro style” means anymore. If you mean traditional offense that a team like the Chargers will run next year, JJ McCarthy. If you mean Shanahan/McVay west coast offense (like half the league runs) probably JJ also, maybe Daniels due to quick release. If you mean some sort of running option attack like Colts, Ravens, Eagles, etc. that would be Daniels. 

Do you mean “pro style” like what the Commanders are going to run? 

No one can say, because we don’t know what offense its going to be. Assuming it has air raid elements from Kliff Kingsbury (a college offense that became a pro offense now) Maye ran the air raid. But it may be a spread/run type offense like Brian Johnson ran at Florida with Trask, so that would work great with Daniels or JJ.

No one knows.

I would encourage you to think about better measurable predictors of NFL success. Intangibles, leadership, processing, reading defenses, arm strength, accuracy, pocket mobility, toughness, elusiveness, college production, mechanics, size/durability, running ability, breakout age,athleticism, etc. 

And we have been discussing the more important factors for months in the QB thread  if you want to go back and look. 

Edited by seantaylor=god
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1