Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I haven't watched him but looking at his stats he seems built in a lab for this scheme.

90 plus PFF grade for man

5 picks -- ball hawk

What round is he projected in? Seems like 2nd round prospect based on measurements. 

On 3/21/2024 at 1:53 PM, NOLA2DC said:

I don't think the drill testing outweighs the game tape for the top guys; you see the size and production in one of the top conferences, so there's not really any question on what you're getting. When considering the pedigree, it's a no-brainer. I think the drills benefit less know guys like Veron Davis when he came out of College Park years ago. I'm not sure if it matters for TEs and RBs coming from Power 5 schools because you have the film of them performing against other future pros. 

Stud! Saw him score three TDs at UNC in 2007 or so and we knew then he was gonna be good 

44 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

What round is he projected in? Seems like 2nd round prospect based on measurements. 

Based on twitter some think he's a surprise 2nd or 3rd rounder.  In mocks 6th-7th, UDFA 

21 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

If we go CB in round 2 then Max Melton is my guy, but I love Mike Siranstil as as nickel/slot guy in round 3. 

giphy.gif

9 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Who could get a draft boost from the overhauled kickoff? Xavier Leggette maybe?

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

As for players who play with physicality.  I am a Legette > Corley guy.    Legette is a good YAC guy too, his numbers on that count are below Corleys.  But Legette is more of a playmaker on the third level than Corley, also a better contested catch guy. 

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Mockdraftable says his spider chart compares really highly with Jahan Dotson. 92.3% similarity in testing/measurements.

Strong physical similarity with John Metchie too.  His game is much more similar to Metchie's than Dotson's.  Dotson was more of a catch and run guy, and has much more spectacular hands.  He's like a tiny, circus catching vertical receiver, but nothing special as a route runner.  This game was my introduction to Dotson and I will never forget it:

I don't know what happened with Dotson that led to all of the drops last season, but he has incredible hands.  Thrash's super power is his release game and his route-running, same as Metchie.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

If anyone wanted to know the value of #3 … imagine it would be similar for #2. 

#11 + #23 + 2025 1st + 2026 1st

Pretty bold claim. What’s he basing that on?

The Lance trade seems like a pretty reasonable comp — SF went from 12 to 3, rather than from 11 to 3 (as MIN would be doing), but it’s pretty close.

SF gave up three 1sts (including 12) and a 3rd for pick 3. Comparing that to the picks the original tweet is suggesting MIN would give up, I think each MIN pick would roughly be considered more valuable:

MIN #11 > SF #12

MIN #23 > SF 1st (+1 year)

MIN 1st (+1 year) > SF 1st (+2 years)

SF had to throw in a current year 3rd on top of the three 1sts, so maybe MIN would have to add a bit more. But having to add a whole other 1st to sweeten the pot enough? That seems like a stretch.

I’m not sure he’s properly valuing the fact that the MIN deal would include multiple current-year 1sts. Teams rarely give up multiple 1sts in the same draft — usually these major packages involve picks in successive years.

4 hours ago, e16bball said:

Pretty bold claim. What’s he basing that on?

The Lance trade seems like a pretty reasonable comp — SF went from 12 to 3, rather than from 11 to 3 (as MIN would be doing), but it’s pretty close.

SF gave up three 1sts (including 12) and a 3rd for pick 3. Comparing that to the picks the original tweet is suggesting MIN would give up, I think each MIN pick would roughly be considered more valuable:

MIN #11 > SF #12

MIN #23 > SF 1st (+1 year)

MIN 1st (+1 year) > SF 1st (+2 years)

SF had to throw in a current year 3rd on top of the three 1sts, so maybe MIN would have to add a bit more. But having to add a whole other 1st to sweeten the pot enough? That seems like a stretch.

I’m not sure he’s properly valuing the fact that the MIN deal would include multiple current-year 1sts. Teams rarely give up multiple 1sts in the same draft — usually these major packages involve picks in successive years.

Maybe. But every year is different and this year you have more competition from other teams. Competition for the pick=more.

13 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That was my first watch by osmosis of @Going Commando's guy Thrash.   Really impressed.  Made me watch another game of his.

He has such a quick twitch sudden movement where he seperates with just like 2 quick steps with no wasted movement and without needing much space to do it, reminded me some of Beckham.  He varies his speeds -- accelerate and decelerates.   Wonder if he played soccer.  His moves remind me of soccer players in the context of how they seperate.

He's sort of the WR version to my eyes of Jonah Elliss as a DE.  That is, they are big time technicians.  Nothing raw about their games.  Fun watches.  

Yep, he's a technician.  What's beautiful to watch is when a technician is so comfortable that creativity and style then come into play layered over top of technique.  Thrash is a really creative route runner.  You're right about his ability to gear up and down in a very dynamic way.  He's deceptive too.  Difficult to read his release, difficult to read through the stem, and difficult to read at the break.  He's got the extremely rare talent for being able to consistently build separation early during the stem, and by the time he breaks the corner is so behind that Thrash ends up being wide open a ton.  It makes him a super easy read for his quarterback.  The dude is also really instinctive about maintaining throwing lanes and window space for his QB throughout the route, especially against zone coverage.  He makes sure you can pull the trigger early with him and he looks for the ball.  Reminds me of Josh Downs in that way, another receiver that I loved along with Metchie.

Route running and creativity paired with aggression are a strong foundation for success at the NFL level.  They tend to translate.  But it's not all you need, and I think the big question with Thrash that limits him to a 3rd or 4th round pick is his size and strength.  Lack of play strength has limited a lot of dazzling college receivers once they've gotten to the NFL.  Jerry Jeudy is the prime example.  Our own Jahan Dotson being another.  NFL Corners don't like getting fooled by waterbug route runners over and over so they're going to press him and play Thrash tight and try to beat him up in the contact window to slow him down, and Thrash is going to have to develop the strength to run through that contact.

I think there is a decent amount of room for physical development with Thrash though, despite his age.  Georgia State is a tiny program that just started playing football 14 years ago.  Their player development isn't any good, and I don't think a year of development at a mid major program like Louisville maxed him out.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Yep, he's a technician.  What's beautiful to watch is when a technician is so comfortable that creativity and style then come into play layered over top of technique.  Thrash is a really creative route runner.  You're right about his ability to gear up and down in a very dynamic way.  He's deceptive too.  Difficult to read his release, difficult to read through the stem, and difficult to read at the break.  He's got the extremely rare talent for being able to consistently build separation early during the stem, and by the time he breaks the corner is so behind that Thrash ends up being wide open a ton.  It makes him a super easy read for his quarterback.  The dude is also really instinctive about maintaining throwing lanes and window space for his QB throughout the route, especially against zone coverage.  He makes sure you can pull the trigger early with him and he looks for the ball.  Reminds me of Josh Downs in that way, another receiver that I loved along with Metchie.

Route running and creativity paired with aggression are a strong foundation for success at the NFL level.  They tend to translate.  But it's not all you need, and I think the big question with Thrash that limits him to a 3rd or 4th round pick is his size and strength.  Lack of play strength has limited a lot of dazzling college receivers once they've gotten to the NFL.  Jerry Jeudy is the prime example.  Our own Jahan Dotson being another.  NFL Corners don't like getting fooled by waterbug route runners over and over so they're going to press him and play Thrash tight and try to beat him up in the contact window to slow him down, and Thrash is going to have to develop the strength to run through that contact.

I think there is a decent amount of room for physical development with Thrash though, despite his age.  Georgia State is a tiny program that just started playing football 14 years ago.  Their player development isn't any good, and I don't think a year of development at a mid major program like Louisville maxed him out.

Agree, that someone with his seperation skills should translate to the NFL, especially the way he does it where he doesn't need much space, so he in theory would be killer good beating zone.

Also agree his physicality might limit him and also might be why he drops in the draft.  His RAS was just OK mainly because of his size and was surpassed by many on that front.  He has the 2nd lowest contested catch grade from PFF for this group.  Conversely, he also has one of their highest grades for seperation and also has a good YAC number. 

Screen Shot 2024-03-27 at 8.29.04 AM.png

Matt Miller's 2nd round.  I like both picks for us but no way I'd skip over Kool-aid.  Looking at that configuring, I'd trade down if I can add an extra 3rd.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/draft2024/insider/story/_/id/39806887/2024-nfl-mock-draft-matt-miller-seven-rounds-257-picks-predictions

_end_rule.png

ROUND 2

car.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

33. Carolina Panthers

Xavier Legette, WR, South Carolina

One nugget I've heard from multiple NFL scouts since the Senior Bowl is that the Panthers love this wide receiver class and believe they will be able to add a rookie starter at No. 33. The Panthers sent 10 people to the South Carolina pro day, and Legette's 4.39 speed at 6-foot-1 and 221 pounds is perfect for slant routes -- which would in turn help quarterback Bryce Young get the ball out faster in 2024.

ne.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

34. New England Patriots

Keon Coleman, WR, Florida State

We got the Patriots some OL protection (Olumuyiwa Fashanu) and a playmaker DB (Cooper DeJean) in Round 1, so let's pivot to the offensive skill positions. Coleman is an elite post-up player at 6-foot-3 and 213 pounds. His combine 40 time was disappointing at 4.61 seconds, but his GPS recorded speed during position drills was tops in his group, and he plays fast.

ari.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

35. Arizona Cardinals

Jer'Zhan Newton, DT, Illinois

Coach Jonathan Gannon always had a strong rotation on the defensive line during his days as the Eagles' defensive coordinator, and the unit ran through 3-technique Fletcher Cox. Newton can be that player for Arizona with his stunning first-step quickness and nonstop motor. He did have foot surgery in the offseason and has yet to workout in the pre-draft process, but his tape is Round 1-caliber.

wsh.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

36. Washington Commanders

Darius Robinson, DE, Missouri

Washington needs an impact defensive end who can take over games after trading away Montez Sweat and Chase Young at the 2023 trade deadline. At 6-foot-5 and 285 pounds, Robinson can rush from the edge or play inside. He had nine sacks in his breakout 2023 season.

lac.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

37. Los Angeles Chargers

Kamari Lassiter, CB, Georgia

If the Chargers trade down in Round 1, I think they could address the secondary there; that unit was tied for 28th last season at 7.7 yards allowed per pass attempt. But instead, I have them waiting until Day 2, where the CB class still has really good options. Lassiter's 4.65-second run in the 40 at his pro day will raise some eyebrows, but scouts I've spoken to still believe he's a top-50 pick. He broke up eight passes last season.

ten.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

38. Tennessee Titans

Edgerrin Cooper, LB, Texas A&M

New defensive coordinator Dennard Wilson is bringing a base 3-4 to Tennessee, and that means the team needs linebackers. Kenneth Murray Jr. was added on a two-year contract, but Cooper is this draft's best linebacker as a true three-down threat. Cooper posted 14 tackles for loss, 8 sacks, 2 forced fumbles and 80 tackles for A&M last season. And the 4.51 speed he displayed at the combine shows up on tape, too; he has true sideline-to-sideline range.

39. Carolina Panthers (via NYG)

Kingsley Suamataia, OT, BYU

Suamataia has the power to be a very good right tackle, a position he played in 2022 and one that could soon be open in Carolina. For the time being, he could learn behind Taylor Moton and continue to develop his special movement and power traits.

40. Washington Commanders (via CHI)

Patrick Paul, OT, Houston

Paul has legendary wingspan at 86¼ inches and enough speed at 6-foot-7 and 331 pounds to run a 5.13 in the 40-yard dash. He is raw, but NFL offensive line coaches I've talked to are in love with his tools and want a chance to develop his traits into a high-end starter.

gb.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

41. Green Bay Packers (via NYJ)

Ennis Rakestraw Jr., CB, Missouri

New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley brings a press-man scheme to the secondary, and the Packers need more personnel to run it. Rakestraw is elite at the line of scrimmage with feisty play, making him a fit. A core muscle injury that required surgery in December is the only reason he's available in Round 2 here; he's ranked No. 20 on my board.

hou.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

42. Houston Texans (via MIN)

Braden Fiske, DT, Florida State

The Texans are on the clock for the first time, and even after adding impact defensive linemen in free agency, they should still address the depth and future of the unit. Fiske is slightly undersized at 6-foot-5 and 292 pounds, but his quickness shooting gaps and ability to take over a game are notable. Coming off back-to-back six-sack seasons, Fiske dominated at the Senior Bowl before putting together an all-around great combine workout that featured a 40-yard dash time of 4.78 seconds.

atl.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

43. Atlanta Falcons

Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama

The two biggest needs in Atlanta heading into the draft are pass-rusher and cover corner. They got Dallas Turner in Round 1, so now I have them targeting his Alabama teammate to take away receivers. McKinstry has a Jones fracture in his right foot, but he still ran a 4.47-second 40-yard dash at the Bama pro day and could be in play even earlier than this.

lv.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

44. Las Vegas Raiders

Roger Rosengarten, OT, Washington

We had the Raiders resetting at QB in Round 1 with Bo Nix, so let's now protect him. Rosengarten played right tackle at Washington and has excellent power and poise. Some teams see him best suited to play guard, but in Las Vegas, he could replace Thayer Munford Jr. at RT or D.J. Fluker at RG and be an upgrade in either spot.

no.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

45. New Orleans Saints (via DEN)

Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan

It was tempting to go quarterback here, but the Saints are contenders in the wide-open NFC South and must build a roster to compete in 2024. Wilson is one of the best slot receivers in the class and would immediately replace departed veteran Michael Thomas. Wilson had just 66 targets in 2023 while playing in Michigan's run-first scheme, but his pre-draft process has been flawless.

ind.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

46. Indianapolis Colts

Marshawn Kneeland, DE, Western Michigan

The Colts continue to check off needs in this draft class in this mock and get an upside pass-rusher with the strength and speed profile to fit what Ballard loves at the position. Kneeland is raw but ran a 4.75 in the 40-yard dash and posted a 35-inch vertical jump at 6-foot-3 and 267 pounds. He has the agility and power to be a starting 4-3 defensive end opposite Kwity Paye.

nyg.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

47. New York Giants (via SEA)

Michael Penix Jr., QB, Washington

Penix has his issues on tape -- his lower-body mechanics need refining, and he struggles on the move -- but as a pure passer from the pocket, no one in this class is better. If the Giants can protect him, then he could carve up defenses. Penix doesn't have the mobility that coach Brian Daboll seems to prefer, but his arm strength and accuracy are "wow" factors. And New York could use more options under center with Daniel Jones returning from a torn ACL.

jax.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

48. Jacksonville Jaguars

Maason Smith, DT, LSU

In 2023, the Jaguars finished 25th in the league with just 40 sacks. That has to improve in 2024, which is why adding a game-wrecking defensive tackle in Smith makes sense here. Smith is raw and missed most of the 2022 season with a knee injury that still seemed to affect him early last season, but his combine performance (35-inch vert and a 5.10-second 40) at 6-foot-5 and 306 pounds was a reminder of his talent and potential.

cin.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

49. Cincinnati Bengals

Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida

To run the Bengals' three-WR offense, you need three starting wide receivers. That's not the case right now, with Tee Higgins hanging out there on the franchise tag and Tyler Boyd still a free agent. Pearsall would give Cincinnati at least one more option opposite Ja'Marr Chase. He's fast and has some of the best end-zone footwork and ball-tracking in the class.

phi.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

50. Philadelphia Eagles (via NO)

Payton Wilson, LB, NC State

Last season highlighted the Eagles' lack of depth and young talent at linebacker after years of neglect in the draft. Adding veteran Devin White should help, but Wilson has three-down skills that no one in this class can match. He posted 6 sacks, 18.5 tackles for loss and 3 interceptions in 2023. There are durability concerns at 24 years old, but Wilson's tape is that of an NFL starter.

pit.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

51. Pittsburgh Steelers

Malachi Corley, WR, Western Kentucky

After trading Diontae Johnson, the Steelers signed veteran receiver Van Jefferson but have done little more to upgrade the WR depth chart for quarterbacks Russell Wilson and Justin Fields. Adding Corley would give the Steelers a big (5-foot-11, 215 pounds) receiver with awesome after-the-catch ability and the power to run through contact on underneath routes.

lar.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

52. Los Angeles Rams

Calen Bullock, S, USC

A remade secondary in Los Angeles will feature the return of Darious Williams and the addition of Kamren Curl, but the free safety position is weak. Bullock has centerfielder range and 4.48 speed, and he grabbed nine interceptions in his three seasons with the Trojans.

phi.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

53. Philadelphia Eagles

Devontez Walker, WR, North Carolina

A quiet need for the Eagles' offense is a No. 3 wide receiver, even after signing DeVante Parker and Parris Campbell. Walker has the vertical ability to complement DeVonta Smith and A.J. Brown and the upside to develop into a top-two wideout over the course of his rookie deal. In just eight games in 2023, Walker caught seven touchdowns (41 receptions).

cle.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

54. Cleveland Browns

T'Vondre Sweat, DT, Texas

Adding a space-eating defensive tackle for Jim Schwartz's scheme may not seem like a need, but my goodness, would this cause problems for offenses. How do you give Myles Garrett double-team attention when a 366-pound Outland Award-winning nose tackle is crashing the pocket? Trading for Jerry Jeudy and signing linebackers Devin Bush and Jordan Hicks frees the Browns up to add the big nose tackle here.

mia.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

55. Miami Dolphins

Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia

A late-season injury to center Connor Williams (now a free agent) affected the team down the stretch. Frazier is a top-32 prospect on my board, but teams aren't in a hurry to prioritize centers in the draft yet. The four-year starter was a state wrestling champion in high school, and he is perfect for Mike McDaniels' zone offense that needs mobility in the middle of the offensive line. Plus, Frazier has the tools to start at guard or center.

dal.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

56. Dallas Cowboys

Jonathon Brooks, RB, Texas

The Cowboys have yet to replace Tony Pollard but could get a potential Round 1 prospect on a discount after Brooks suffered an ACL tear in November. Brooks is expected to be cleared this summer to return to football action, which gets him on the field in time for training camp -- and in time to take the RB1 title here. He rushed for 1,139 yards and 10 scores last season before the injury.

tb.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

57. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Cooper Beebe, G, Kansas State

A remodeled offensive line held up well in Tampa Bay last season, but let's upgrade the left guard spot. Beebe is pro-ready in both the run and pass games, and he plays with a mean streak that coach Todd Bowles and his staff would love. He started 48 games in college, played every position except center and allowed three sacks.

gb.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

58. Green Bay Packers

Mason McCormick, C, South Dakota State

One of my favorite sleeper picks in this draft, McCormick can be a starting guard or center despite not getting the attention he deserves in the pre-draft process. He would push right guard Sean Rhyan in Green Bay while also providing depth at center behind Josh Myers.

hou.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

59. Houston Texans

Tyler Nubin, S, Minnesota

The Texans have bolstered the secondary through free agency, but I'd like to do something at the free safety position. Nubin had 13 interceptions during his college career and has excellent vision and range. A postseason knee surgery has pushed him down the board, but he's a steal at this spot.

buf.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

60. Buffalo Bills

T.J. Tampa, CB, Iowa State

The talent at cornerback in Buffalo isn't as bad as some seem to think, but it's also not quite a strength. The team's best corner -- Rasul Douglas -- turns 30 this season and is a free agent next year, while former first-rounder Kaiir Elam has yet to emerge as a starter. Tampa is tough at the line of scrimmage and excels in press situations. The 6-foot-1, 189-pounder had three interceptions the past two years.

det.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

61. Detroit Lions

Troy Franklin, WR, Oregon

One persistent rumor this offseason: The Lions are doing work on the receiver class. Franklin is a speed demon with vertical route expertise, and he would play perfectly opposite Amon-Ra St. Brown and alongside fellow sprinter Jameson Williams. The 6-foot-2, 176-pounder ran a 4.41 at the combine, and that speed shows up on tape when he's running past defenders.

bal.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

62. Baltimore Ravens

Mike Sainristil, CB, Michigan

How do great football players always fall to the Ravens? Sainristil was a do-it-all defensive back and leader at Michigan, posting six interceptions (two touchdowns). In Baltimore, he would play a nickel role very similar to what Brian Branch did in his rookie season for the Lions.

sf.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

63. San Francisco 49ers

Kris Jenkins, DT, Michigan

Arik Armstead was released in a salary cap-saving move, and while the 49ers did add Maliek Collins and Jordan Elliott, a true 3-technique rusher should be on the draft wishlist behind offensive line help. Jenkins is 6-foot-3 and 299 pounds, and he ran a 4.91-second 40, showing his speed. But he is also one of the strongest defensive tackles in the class.

kc.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

64. Kansas City Chiefs

Javon Bullard, S, Georgia

Trading cornerback L'Jarius Sneed away means movement in the Kansas City secondary. Bullard gets listed at safety but has tools that'll remind you of Tyrann Mathieu in this defense -- which is the kind of hybrid inside-out player Sneed was at the start of his career.

_end_rule.png

ROUND 3

65. Carolina Panthers

Chris Braswell, DE, Alabama

The trade of Brian Burns opens the door for a pass-rusher, and Braswell had eight sacks and forced three fumbles last season at Alabama.

ari.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

66. Arizona Cardinals

Bralen Trice, DE, Washington

A standup pass-rusher with top-notch college production -- 16 sacks in the past two seasons -- is exactly what coach Jonathan Gannon needs on this defense. Trice could excel in Arizona.

67. Washington Commanders

Adisa Isaac, DE, Penn State

Washington needs bodies to replace Montez Sweat and Chase Young. Isaac's first-step quickness and burst pair perfectly with the power of Darius Robinson, who we projected to Washington in Round 2 of this mock draft.

• Thanks 1

On 3/20/2024 at 6:47 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

J. Sanders is probably my TE #2 but I waffle on it.  My favorite YAC TE in this group aside from Bowers. Yet his combine-pro day concern me.  8 bench pressses? 30 vertical.  9.6 broad.  All meh. And 4.69 speed is OK but I'd feel better if it was 4.6

I got to do a deeper dive again on the TEs and sort through:  Stover, Sinnot, Sanders.  And also Theo Johnson and Wiley.  Wiley has been sort of my third tier favorite for months and that's soild with me.  As for the others I have to rewatch them again.

I think Sanders was more a product of a loaded Texas team than anything else. Putting Sanders numbers in RAS and we get:

image.png.6bc3d83db5bc0b537af9712e320460d9.png

Yet another player I'm at odds with regarding their draft stock, which in this case is far too low in my estimation. Edge John Morgan III Arkansas is very good to my eyes and could be a gem Day 3 flyer. Good speed & power traits that flash.

2 hours ago, seantaylor=god said:

Maybe. But every year is different and this year you have more competition from other teams. Competition for the pick=more.

He actually corrected himself in the comments now that I look back on it and said #11, #23, a 2025 1st and another mid-round pick. But I tend to agree. If we are also looking at offers from NE, NYG, DEN, etc. it increases the value of the trade if we choose to move off the pick. I don't think we'll do it, but maybe 4 #1s would be enough for Peters and Co.

Going back to #11 takes you out of the mix of all 4 of the "top options" though ... and the Howell trade opens the door for a rookie pick. So if we moved down to #11 my guess is we've got our eyes on someone we can get at #11 (Nix, Penix) or like someone in the middle rounds (Rattler) that we'd plan to use an earlier pick on to ensure we get them. 

I have a hard time seeing us go down to #11.

It'll depend on how our FO feels about the top options. If we do trade off #2 my bet would be on #3 with NE. If they really like Daniels, and we know that, and we prefer Maye or McCarthy, it would make sense to move back and add picks and take our guy at #3. Moving back to anywhere else would be too much of a risk, we can still control quite a bit by going to #3, and we aren't making that move if NE is coming to #2 to get someone we want.

The key in all of this, which our FO has played perfectly, is leaving the door open to trading the pick and also not giving away who we want. For all we know, we could be enamored with Maye. If NE is enamored with Daniels, and we know that's who they'd pick, and they think we could be trading the pick to MIN or NYG or LV, the door is wide open for that sort of pick swap to take place.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

3 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

we do trade off #2 my bet would be on #3 with NE. If they really like Daniels, and we know that, and we prefer Maye or McCarthy, it would make sense to move back and add picks and take our guy at #3.

I don't see any chance of this.  First, NE and WASH certainly won't honestly share with each other what player they really want to take.  Even if for some strange reason they were to do that, WASH wouldn't trade back if NE wants the same player they do and NE wouldn't trade up if they want a different player than they do.  There just isn't a realistic case for both teams agreeing to such a trade.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Number 44 said:

I don't see any chance of this.  First, NE and WASH certainly won't honestly share with each other what player they really want to take.  Even if for some strange reason they were to do that, WASH wouldn't trade back if NE wants the same player they do and NE wouldn't trade up if they want a different player than they do.  There just isn't a realistic case for both teams agreeing to such a trade.

Sure there is. If NE likes JD more and Wash is sold on Maye. NE might be slightly concerned with Wash taking a crazy trade with another team, so NE offers a 3rd to swap picks with a promise that neither team trades the pick again and honors their word to take the QB they stated.  I am not naive enough to think that happens often, but  I wonder how much each FO actually trusts each other, with promises and talks behind closed doors. If they feel comfortable with some transparencies with the right person. If so, I think having AP is a major plus. 

Edited by bowhunter

11 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Sure there is. If NE likes JD more and Wash is sold on Maye. NE might be slightly concerned with Wash taking a crazy trade with another team, so NE offers a 3rd to swap picks with a promise that neither team trades the pick again and honors their word to take the QB they stated.  I am not naive enough to think that happens often, but  I wonder how much each FO actually trusts each other, with promises and talks behind closed doors. If they feel comfortable with some transparencies with the right person. If so, I think having AP is a major plus. 

You're overcomplicating things. The draft never really plays out that way.

Its a lot closer to checkers than it is chess to be honest.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Matt Miller's 2nd round.  I like both picks for us but no way I'd skip over Kool-aid.  Looking at that configuring, I'd trade down if I can add an extra 3rd.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/draft2024/insider/story/_/id/39806887/2024-nfl-mock-draft-matt-miller-seven-rounds-257-picks-predictions

_end_rule.png

36. Washington Commanders

Darius Robinson, DE, Missouri

Washington needs an impact defensive end who can take over games after trading away Montez Sweat and Chase Young at the 2023 trade deadline. At 6-foot-5 and 285 pounds, Robinson can rush from the edge or play inside. He had nine sacks in his breakout 2023 season.

40. Washington Commanders (via CHI)

Patrick Paul, OT, Houston

Paul has legendary wingspan at 86¼ inches and enough speed at 6-foot-7 and 331 pounds to run a 5.13 in the 40-yard dash. He is raw, but NFL offensive line coaches I've talked to are in love with his tools and want a chance to develop his traits into a high-end starter.

67. Washington Commanders

Adisa Isaac, DE, Penn State

Washington needs bodies to replace Montez Sweat and Chase Young. Isaac's first-step quickness and burst pair perfectly with the power of Darius Robinson, who we projected to Washington in Round 2 of this mock draft.

I don't like the idea of selected two DEs with the first three picks (after QB).  Is Patrick Paul OT really worth the #40 pick if he's that raw?  I'd rather go CB because the ones selected after 40 may not be there in a trade down.  For that matter, the WRs might be picked clean.  

19 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

I don't like the idea of selected two DEs with the first three picks (after QB).  Is Patrick Paul OT really worth the #40 pick if he's that raw?  I'd rather go CB because the ones selected after 40 may not be there in a trade down.  For that matter, the WRs might be picked clean.  

Yeah, I mean on the surface, considering Henry’s a relative unknown and Fowler/Ferrell are on 1 year deals, I could see hitting the position twice (and maximizing the chance of landing a stud)… but we have other needs/priorities and the draft has depth at other positions we’ll wanna take advantage of.  Not too worried about wr getting picked clean by our second 3rd round pick though…

17 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Taking two Edges is overkill. Would rather take a WR at one of those spots. Not taking a WR in round 2 or 3 would be criminal this year, akin to not taking a TE last year.

I think for me, the 3rd is ideal for receiver, mainly because I’d be more worried about the drop off at OT, DE, corner and even safety compared to wr.  Certainly not ruling out that we take a receiver in the 2nd of course.  Totally agree that bypassing receiver day 2 would be like bypassing TE last year.  Speaking of which, I can’t shake the hunch we land a TE early-middle of the 3rd, even though the supply is so limited that seems a long shot.

My guess(es):  

We trade back from either 36 or 40 (getting a 3rd round comp pick or a 4th or swapping picks using one of our 5ths)

2nd - OT and corner (possibly DE or S)

3rd - TE, wr, and one of the two spots we didn’t draft in the 2nd

Pick we gain in trade -  double up on one of OT/DE/corner/wr

5th - linebacker and/or running back

Kind of expect (whether or not we trade back in the 2nd) we make another trade later - whether using our 5th to move up or perhaps trading back with a 3rd.  Maybe land a ‘25 pick, like a 4th.