Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

49 minutes ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

I know most of us want a QB at #2 buuuuuuut do you feel like there is absolutely nothing that would change your mind? Let's say someone offered us their 1st rounder this year anddddd their1st rounder in 2025, 2026, 2027, and 2028. Lol. You would basically have to accept the trade, wouldn't you??

I would need every pick a team has for the next 3 years AND a quality starter at a premium position of need for me to even consider the possibility of picking up the phone and talking to you.

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

So, who you got in the 3rd?  Press Man Coverage CB

I like the kid from Michigan Siranstill or however you spell his name.

9 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I'm trying to figure out how the Vikings can get up to #2/#3 via another jump. When the initial trade into the back of R1 came out, many expected it was the first of two jumps to get up.

11+23 on the RH Trade Chart gets you to enough to get the #3. I just don't see that being enough.

If the ARZ is the initial target, 11+23 should be enough to get it done (overpaying by about 110 points, which seems standard for a trade of this type).

But to get from #4 to #2 ... just not seeing the Vikings having enough ammo to get our pick from there. Yes #4 is way more appealing than #11 in that you'd still get one of the four QBS assuming they're all suitable to this FO, but without a 2nd and a future 2nd, not sure what the Vikings could offer, outside of, say, Christian Darrisaw or Justin Jefferson.

#4 + #108 (their next pick in R4) + a 2025 1st is just not going to be enough, and that would leave the Vikings with #2 and no pick until #129, not to mention no 1st or 2nd in 2025. Hard to see them making that move with us, not that any of us were really expecting it. Just wanted to workshop it out.

** This is all presuming the Vikings really want Maye, and need to get to #2.

If they want 3 they'll have to throw in next year's 1st. I can't imagine the Pats moving down for anything less. Even then it might not be enough.

If they just wanna move up to 5(I don't see Zona passing up Harrison jr), then I think 11 and 23 is enough. Maybe throw in a 4th or something.

But man giving up all that for JJ freaking McCarthy would be depressing to me if I'm a Vikes fan.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

There is no reason to pass up taking Drake Maye at 2

One reason they COULD trade out of #2 is if the compensation is just too good to pass up and they REALLY like someone like McCarthy, Nix or Penix and are good with taking one of them. Again, this all depends on how Peters and company view these prospects. It wouldn't be popular with most and it would be a roll of the dice but Peters would be betting on his opinion vs popular opinion. Having said all of this, I think trading Howell really shows that it'll be one specific guy they're locked in on now at #2 and they know who they want. Either that or they were pretty down on Sam. 

22 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I would need every pick a team has for the next 3 years AND a quality starter at a premium position of need for me to even consider the possibility of picking up the phone and talking to you.

I like the kid from Michigan Siranstill or however you spell his name.

Here's what I would "accept" (on the record for wanting QB at #2, particularly Maye)

Patriots: Assumes we like both Maye/Daniels equally

#3, #34, 2025 2nd

Cardinals: Assumes we like all three of Maye/Daniels/McCarthy OR someone we can target later in R1 and flip #4 for additional capital

I also don't see the Cards trading up to #2 for MHJ given they're likely to have him land in their laps at #4, but I keep it here just in case. 

#4, #27, 2025 1st

Vikings: This just punts QB and assumes we like someone like Nix/Penix for #11 or #23 OR Rattler in the middle rounds

#11, #23, #109, 2025 1st, 2026 1st

Not sure I would be willing to go further than that. I don't even like the idea of going to #11 with the Vikings. 

And for the record, this is also the order in which I would accept a trade. And I was hesitant about even putting down the Vikings option, because I just don't think there's enough on the table with their limited picks to go down to #11.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

TJ Tampa.  I like what i've seen, i don't see the round 1 rap that some have about him.   i actually like Melton ahead of him.  But I like Tampa, too.

Feels inevitable though that the Bucks will draft him, just like Eli Apple seemed inevitable for the Giants. 😎

I wished he ran.  Speed matters clearly for CBs but he looks at least fast enough.    

Long arms-long legs and is physical -- too grabby at times.  Looks like quick WRs might be able to give him problems, not the loosest hips. Sticky enough in coverage.  Feisty.

Not as physical as Melton is the run game but is physical enough.  2 picks last year so some ball skills.    Looked to be playing a lot of zone when I was watching but he has the skill set to play man.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

So here is how I'm kinda organizing the OTs. Only the top 1st round ish type prospects.

High end LT:

Joe Alt

Ola Fashanu

High upside LT, but very raw:

Amarius Mims

Tyler Guyton

Very good and safe prospect but probably will end up playing RT(or possibly also G):

JC Latham

Taliese Fuaga

Good T prospect but might end up being a better G:

Jordan Morgan

Graham Barton

Kingsley Saumatia

Troy Fautanu

(honestly unsure about Saumatia and Fautanu)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

TJ Tampa.  I like what i've seen, i don't see the round 1 rap that some have about him.   i actually like Melton ahead of him.  But I like Tampa, too.

Feels inevitable though that the Bucks will draft him, julist like Eli Apple seemed inevitable for the Giants. 😎

I wished he ran.  Speed matters clearly for CBs but he looks at least fast enough.    

Long arms-long legs and is physical -- too grabby at times.  Looks like quick WRs might be able to give him problems, not the loosest hips. Sticky enough in coverage.  Feisty.

Not as physical as Melton is the run game but is physical enough.  2 picks last year so some ball skills.    Looked to be playing a lot of zone when I was watching but he has the skill set to play man.

Seems like he would excel as a FS than a CB.  He can tackle that's for sure.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Yup.

I think if you're asking me to give up taking a franchise QB today, you best give me the ammunition to get the QB of my choice in a future draft thru 2026.

So for like the Vikings, I would want 11, 23, 2024 2nd, 2025 1st 2nd and 3rd, and 2016 1st 2nd and 3rd.

Is that even remotely reasonable?  Hell no.

Is it reasonable to ask a team to pass on a potential future franchise QB for less?  Also hell no.

Also, theorizing here, but I can't see a trade down being even remotely likely now, mostly because we moved Howell. 

If we kept Howell, I think you could sell the fanbase on "Howell got a raw deal, we think he's really good and we want to give him another year with a good team around him."

But Howell is gone.  So are we riding with Mariota?  Nah.  Are we drafting Nix or Penix?  I mean, maybe? But you have to use one of your 1sts (for the sake of argument, 23) most likely for them so you basically are trading Maye/Daniels for Nix/Penix and 11.

And sorry but dink dunk Nix and statue Penix are not worth it imo.

• Like 1

On initial watches of Nate Wiggins, can't see him falling to our pick in the 2nd albiet he does in some mocks.  But maybe?

A dude with freakish speed like that.  Can get beat by double moves but his recovery speed is so good that he doesn't get burned that easily.  Drake Maye put up a perfect bucket on him on a deep out route, what a freakish throw.  But he got Maye back later by anticipating a quick out and jumped the route for a pick.

He's lanky and can be bullied some but not as lanky as Forbes.   And he plays bigger than his size in the run game.  But like Forbes I assume that might not translate to the pros.

My main attraction is he looks like a man corner to me.  He played man with little help.  That's apparently this scheme.  Most of the corners in this class from my initial watchings seemed to major in zone.  Wiggins looks like majors in man.  So sort of an old school fast CB, Darrell Green style.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Just now, 88Comrade2000 said:

Is MHJ hiding something? He won’t be participating in Ohio State’s pro day.

Is he scared of not being the first wr drafted?

He has nothing to gain. Hes locked into the 4 slot. Why risk injury? 

3 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Is MHJ hiding something? He won’t be participating in Ohio State’s pro day.

Is he scared of not being the first wr drafted?

It's weird but if he does top 30 visits then it's probably whatever.  Odds are good he's got teams in the bottom half of the top 10 telling him that if he'a still there they'll run to the podium.  Shoot he may even have the Cardinals telling him he's locked in at 4 at the latest.

1 hour ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

I still say we trade our #2 for Herbert since Harbaugh loves JJ so much. It seems like a win win. Plus I’m sure Herbert would like some weapons to throw to. All jokes though. Harbaugh knows he wouldn’t make that trade. 

It's an interesting thought though. I would think LA would ask for two 1sts and a 2nd for Herbert if not more? Harbaugh just won a national championship with McCarthy and may really want him???? Wouldn't that be the mother of all draft trades? Is that why we haven't gone after big money free agents, so we can take on a huge QB contract? The Chargers are in a similar rebuild to us only they have a QB.....would they take a mother-load offer for Herbert? I

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

It's an interesting thought though. I would think LA would ask for two 1sts and a 2nd for Herbert if not more? Harbaugh just won a national championship with McCarthy and may really want him???? Wouldn't that be the mother of all draft trades? Is that why we haven't gone after big money free agents, so we can take on a huge QB contract? The Chargers are in a similar rebuild to us only they have a QB.....would they take a mother-load offer for Herbert? I

Doubt it.  Harbaugh said this before he took the Chargers job.  I'd assume Herbert was part of the appeal to him.

There hasn't been any rumor that they are shopping him that I recall.  

https://chargerswire.usatoday.com/2023/12/04/chargers-michigan-jim-harbaugh-justin-herbert/

Jim Harbaugh believes Justin Herbert is the best young quarterback in the NFL

“We were just talking about how great the young quarterback play is in the National Football League. All these great young quarterbacks: Burrow, Mahomes … He spent five minutes telling me that he thinks Justin Herbert is the best of all of them. He loves Herbert,” Greenberg said.

• Like 2

Harbaugh isn't trading Herbert to draft McCarthy lolol stop with the non sense. He hyped up McCarthy because that's his boy and someone taking him in the top 4 above his own pick drops someone else of value to his spot.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Seattle Legion of Boom:

CB Richard Sherman: 6'3, 205 - 5th round, pick 154 in 2011

CB Brandon Browner: 6'4, 221 - UDFA in 2005, signed as FA by Seattle in 2011

CB Byron Maxwell: 6'1, 198 - 6th round, pick 173 in 2011

S Kam Chancellor: 6'3, 225 - 5th round, pick 133 in 2010 draft

S Earl Thomas: 5'10, 202 - 1st round, pick 14 in 2010 draft

San Francisco CBs over last few years:

CB Deonmmodore Lenoir: 5'10, 200 - 5th round, pick 172 in 2021 draft

CB Charvarius Ward: 6'1, 196 - UDFA in 2018

CB Emmanuel Mosely: 5'10, 196 - UDFA in 2018

CB Ambry Thomas: 6'0, 190 - Round 3, pick 102 in 2021

Quinn in Dallas:

CB DaRon Bland: 6'0 197 - 5th round, pick 167 in 2023

CB Trevon Diggs: 6'2, 195 - 2nd round, pick 51 in 2020

Quinn was not on staff when Diggs was drafted, but he saw obvious success under Quinn, so included him.

You can see why I would expect us to nail a couple CBs in the 4th-6th round to UDFA range. This FO/coaching staff has a history of success in that area in multiple stops. I know we need 1-2 CBs long-term. But given we just invested a 1st and 2nd in Forbes and Martin (Martin being the NB for us, so counting him), I would predict that we hit CBs in the middle-rounds/UDFA to add bodies and see what shakes loose this season at the position. 

Obviously we know about Seattle's old requirement for drafting CB's, bit it looks like Dallas might have shifted to that too? They were drafted in rounds 2, 3, 5, and 6. The hit was in Round 5.

The CB's they drafted while Quinn was DC:

• Nahshon Wright, 32 & 7/8" arm length
  • Kelvin Joseph, 31 & 7/8" (unoffical measurement)
  • Daron Bland, 32"
  • Eric Scott, 32 & 1/4"

Both Forbes and St. Juste have arm lengths longer than 32". But this could narrow our search considerably. Good news I suppose, only Kool-Aid McKinstry might be off the board by the time we pick.

2 hours ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

Undisputed is frustrating me. Skip and Keyshawn both talk about Maye as if he should be drafted in the 7th round. Keyshawn keeps bringing up Maye being from UNC and wearing the same number as Trubisky. Who gives a flying crap??? That's irrelevant.

If the cast of Undisputed in general is "Dumb and Dumber" then Skip specifically is "Dumberer".

It's just an entertainment. A pure circus clown show where the loudest most outrageous talking carnival barker brings the most rubes in to mindlessly watch the show while they're programmed and slowly fleeced of their critical thinking skills.

While none of these talking heads have much credibility in my eyes, a few, like Skip, have completely lost my respect.

That said, my suggestion, for all of those focused on us taking a specific player at #2, is that you enjoy the show, but realize that we're no longer running a carnival and we could select any of the top four qbs.

Plus, nobody knows what we're really thinking or doing.

• Like 1

Here is what my research says about trading back into the first round based on points per draft slot.
Pick 36  = 540 points
Pick 40  = 500
Pick 67  = 255
Pick 78  = 200
Pick 100 = 100

Combining different combinations of these picks gets us back into the first round.  Here is what I see as our options (only combining two picks at a time.)

Picks 36 + 40  = 1,040 = pick 15/16
Picks 36 + 67  =   795 = pick 21/22
Picks 36 + 78  =   740 = pick 24
Picks 36 + 100 =   640 = pick 29
------------------------------------
Picks 40 + 67  = 755   = pick 23/24
Picks 40 + 78  = 700   = pick 26
Picks 40 + 100 = 600   = pick 31

If accurate, using 2 picks, we can get as high as pick 15/16.  This will give us a starting level LT.  I prefer holding onto pick 36. Using pick 40 + 67 we are at pick 23/24.  This should leave us with a variety of linemen to choose from.  I think we will see some type of trade back into the first.  Hopefully GMAP can fleece some team and get even better value than what I am showing above.

• Thanks 4

1 minute ago, ILikeBilly2 said:

Here is what my research says about trading back into the first round based on points per draft slot.
Pick 36  = 540 points
Pick 40  = 500
Pick 67  = 255
Pick 78  = 200
Pick 100 = 100

Combining different combinations of these picks gets us back into the first round.  Here is what I see as our options (only combining two picks at a time.)

Picks 36 + 40  = 1,040 = pick 15/16
Picks 36 + 67  =   795 = pick 21/22
Picks 36 + 100 =   640 = pick 29
------------------------------------
Picks 40 + 67  = 755   = pick 23/24
Picks 40 + 78  = 700   = pick 26

If accurate, using 2 picks, we can get as high as pick 15/16.  This will give us a starting level LT.  I prefer holding onto pick 36. Using pick 40 + 67 we are at pick 23/24.  This should leave us with a variety of linemen to choose from.  I think we will see some type of trade back into the first.  Hopefully GMAP can fleece some team and get even better value than what I am showing above.

I've been looking for something just like this. Well done.

My only question is which, of the many, draft pick scoring systems did you use?

Pick 36 + 100 to go up to 29 is my optimal spot. The last of the 1st rounded graded OTs should be available and we leapfrog three teams that are good candidates to take one. And we don't have to give up a top 70 pick to move up.

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

Undisputed is frustrating me. Skip and Keyshawn both talk about Maye as if he should be drafted in the 7th round. Keyshawn keeps bringing up Maye being from UNC and wearing the same number as Trubisky. Who gives a flying crap??? That's irrelevant.

I think it’s bad for your brain to watch those shows—like actively bad for you. Especially if it evokes any emotion other than bemusement…the frustration is certainly not worth it. Its lowest common denominator dreck and if you don’t consider yourself to fall into that population of media consumers, then you’re doing yourself a disservice imo

Edited by Conn
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Pick 36 + 100 to go up to 29 is my optimal spot. The last of the 1st rounded graded OTs should be available and we leapfrog three teams that are good candidates to take one. And we don't have to give up a top 70 pick to move up.

This would definitely be optimal, and the loss of 100 would be well worth getting a OT we covet.

22 minutes ago, ILikeBilly2 said:

What if we sent 36+78 for pick 24 and 40+100 for Pick 31 and grabbed 2 OTs in R1? I can dream, right?

I find that unlikely, though, in that you'd be facing re-signing LT, RT, QB at the same time in 4-5 years. OF course, that's a great problem to have if those picks hit, but something I am sure goes into the calculus. 

30 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

I've been looking for something just like this. Well done.

My only question is which, of the many, draft pick scoring systems did you use?

I used the first scoring system that popped up in my search engine.  I am sure GMAP has a better one.  Wish we could access it.

40 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I think if you are going to trade up from 36 you might as well commit to go all in and get to a pick in the 15-20 range. 

Going from 36 to 29 is a waste of a third rounder IMO

• Like 1