Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

18 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I coudln't find anything to watch Kiran albiet I haven't looked of late.  He defintely has the length. 

Kiran is another I am slightly against consensus. Tools for days without question but I wanted to see how he fared at the Senior Bowl against better competition. He was recovering from surgery and could not partake, however. I'd personally be a bit wary taking him too high.

13 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Kiran is another I am slightly against consensus. Tools for days without question but I wanted to see how he fared at the Senior Bowl against better competition. He was recovering from surgery and could not partake, however. I'd personally be a bit wary taking him too high.

I see there are Yale games now up to watch. Half way through game 1.  Potential is obvious in pass protect -- length, strength, mirrors well.  Inconsistent as to sustaining blocks.  Looks like slippery type pass rushers might give him issues.  But i got to watch much more, just started.

On another note, Kiper's mock which is based on predictions. 

McCarthy #11

Nix #12

Fashanu 14

Fautanu 16

Fauga 18

Barton 21

Guyton 24

Mims 30

Rosengarten 31

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

Yeah the Senior Bowl would have been great for him to show off his potential versus better competition and working with pro coaching. He is one of the more intriguing players for us at this stage. 

Can't wait to hear more on him, especially SIPs report back

• Like 1

That's a big jump for Rosengarten.  I like him too, but he was getting projected in the mid to late rounds just a short bit ago.  To go 31, whooof, that's a beeeeeeg jump.  I don't know if I'd endorse that.  Then again I think Kiper had Latham going #5 in one of his mocks over Alt, so he gets weird ideas sometimes.

Fashanu. Plug and play in pass protect.  Comes from the area.  High intangibles.  I wouldn't hesitate to trade up for him.

If Mims slips to 30 per Kiper's mock, I'd trade up for him, too.

Ifi knew Morgan would fall to the 2nd round pick, I'd just wait for that fall but obviously I don't know.  but I'd trade up some for him, Barton too if they didn't have to give up a ton.

Don't know how accurate

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

That's a big jump for Rosengarten.  I like him too, but he was getting projected in the mid to late rounds just a short bit ago.  To go 31, whooof, that's a beeeeeeg jump.  I don't know if I'd endorse that.  Then again I think Kiper had Latham going #5 in one of his mocks over Alt, so he gets weird ideas sometimes.

I agree. While he's a better prospect than I initially gave him credit for, I would feel more comfortable looking elsewhere to fill our OT needs depending on the board of course because he could be a value pick at some point. I'd be more comfortable with Blake Fisher, Patrick Paul and Goncalves over Roger but would not be terribly upset with him if he's our target. 

I agree. While he's a better prospect than I initially gave him credit for, I would feel more comfortable looking elsewhere to fill our OT needs depending on the board of course because he could be a value pick at some point. I'd be more comfortable with Blake Fisher, Patrick Paul and Goncalves over Roger but would not be terribly upset with him if he's our target. 

Unless teams believe he will be a left tackle, I doubt he will go in the first round. First round is either left tackle or elite guard/center.

2 minutes ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

Unless teams believe he will be a left tackle, I doubt he will go in the first round. First round is either left tackle or elite guard/center.

He's nowhere near 1st round caliber for me. IMO, his value lies within rounds 3-5. 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Rosengarten 31

Dangit! I was curious on his late-in-the-game hype. He wasn't even going until R4/5 a few weeks ago in most mocks/simulators. He's someone I was hoping would be a double-tap for us in R3 if we got Morgan/Guyton/Etc. 

8 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Trade up for a LT then also take Patrick Paul in the 3rd anyone ?

I announced several weeks ago that I wanted to punt defense to 2025 draft. I assumed/predicted we'd go heavy defense in FA and focus on 1-year deals. Make us competitive, get some back-end talent in the draft. But use resources on offense early.

It might take future draft capital to move up too far, but I would absolutely LOVE to go up to #12-14 to grab Fashanu or Fuaga if they're there. On paper #36+#40 would get us there, but in big jumps like that teams usually want future capital. I would consider #36+#100 + future 2nd to go get a stud LT. And if we are content waiting until the 20's to get someone and trade fewer assets in doing so.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

16 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Trade up for a LT then also take Patrick Paul in the 3rd anyone ?

I'll make my avatar a picture of your ass if Paul lasts until the third round.

He'll go top of the second. Just about every team in the top 15 or so needs OTs and most aren't getting them in the 1rst.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I see there are Yale games now up to watch. Half way through game 1.  Potential is obvious in pass protect -- length, strength, mirrors well.  Inconsistent as to sustaining blocks.  Looks like slippery type pass rushers might give him issues.  But i got to watch much more, just started.

On another note, Kiper's mock which is based on predictions. 

McCarthy #11

Nix #12

Fashanu 14

Fautanu 16

Fauga 18

Barton 21

Guyton 24

Mims 30

Rosengarten 31

Man would be sweet to draft Rosengarten by moving up after selecting our QB at #2 and then have Morgan there at #36!  One can dream, however it possible. :) Solidify our bookends!  

• Haha 1

If you told me we would come out of the draft with our future LT, RT, QB, TE, WR then I'd say it was a smashing success. Obv. we need depth and future development on defense, but this draft is offense for me.

I do think we'll have to seriously consider moving up for an OT to get one of our guys before the run occurs.

To get into the #14-16 range we'll need #36 + #40

To get into the #20-22 range we'll need #36 + #78 + #100

To get into the #28-30 range we could do #40 + #78 although surely a team would try for #36 in that scenario.

I wouldn't mind trading #40 and #78 to move to #28/29 to get an OT. Then trade from #36 back to accumulate picks with the OT secured.

It'll be a fun draft night for sure.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I wouldn't mind trading #40 and #78 to move to #28/29 to get an OT. Then trade from #36 back to accumulate picks with the OT secured.

That would be my dream scenario. Use #36 to move back and let GMAP make some magic in the mid/late rounds.

I would be surprised if Paul made it to the 3rd.

I guess in a scenario where runs on everything but OTs happen and some guys fall it could happen, but I kinda expect the top 10 tackles to be gone shortly after 40 if they make it that far.  Paul is just behind them, so he'd need to make it 26ish picks to be there for our 3rd round.  Doable, but I'm not holding my breath for him.

If we get lucky it's because every team who needs a tackle got one from the top 10ish.

If we use 36 to trade up I'd assume we'd use 40 to trade down.

I also wouldn't mind doubling down on OT. If we draft someone safe like Morgan, who might end up being a G in the future, then take a swing at a high upside but raw guy in round 3 that can be our LT of the future in 2-3 years.

22 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

If we use 36 to trade up I'd assume we'd use 40 to trade down.

I also wouldn't mind doubling down on OT. If we draft someone safe like Morgan, who might end up being a G in the future, then take a swing at a high upside but raw guy in round 3 that can be our LT of the future in 2-3 years.

If Daniels has any future, it's going to be at guard. He's never going to be a tackle and I'd be shocked if he sniffs the 53. I generally say that there is no bad pick on day three, but during this part of the draft, is when I went full tank/fire everybody mode.

That means that we have 1 tackle and it's ****ing Wylie.

I would not be surprised to see 4 OTs drafted between round 1 and UDFAs. We're currently stronger at QB, than we are at OT, which is wild.

I still think we can sign/trade for a LT and truly free ourselves up in the draft, which is good, because outside of 4 or 5 OL players, that's not going to be BPA in the second. DL is.

EDIT- We just resigned Lucas.

MSN just had a ranking of the best player selected by each team in the 2023 draft.  Our "best" was 6th round Chris Rodriguez RB who played sparingly during the year.  I'm not knocking Rodriguez, but that's a sad indictment on talent selection.  We may not be able to get the particular players we want, or specific positions filled, but talent wins out in the end. Fingers cross that Peters knocks one out of the park for his first draft.  I really don't want to give up any picks in this draft.    

26 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

If Daniels has any future, it's going to be at guard. He's never going to be a tackle and I'd be shocked if he sniffs the 53. I generally say that there is no bad pick on day three, but during this part of the draft, is when I went full tank/fire everybody mode.

That means that we have 1 tackle and it's ****ing Wylie.

I would not be surprised to see 4 OTs drafted between round 1 and UDFAs. We're currently stronger at QB, than we are at OT, which is wild.

I still think we can sign/trade for a LT and truly free ourselves up in the draft, which is good, because outside of 4 or 5 OL players, that's not going to be BPA in the second. DL is.

EDIT- We just resigned Lucas.

I'm gonna assume Daniels and Stromberg don't even exist when making roster decisions and anything we get out of them is a bonus. They were project picks by the previous regime and those guys typically don't stick around unless they just obviously show it early on.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm gonna assume Daniels and Stromberg don't even exist when making roster decisions and anything we get out of them is a bonus. They were project picks by the previous regime and those guys typically don't stick around unless they just obviously show it early on.

Strom was a good pick, but probably should have gone when Daniels did. He was close enough to a day 3 pick, which is fine. Daniels shouldn't have been drafted. 

31 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Strom was a good pick, but probably should have gone when Daniels did. He was close enough to a day 3 pick, which is fine. Daniels shouldn't have been drafted. 

I like(d) the Strom pick too, but the fact is he basically didn't play at all despite our OL struggling last year. He'll have to compete for a roster spot in all likelihood.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'll make my avatar a picture of your ass if Paul lasts until the third round.

Hey lay off, your avatar is already a picture of my….

Oh wait. Don’t admit to that…

Edited by Est.1974
  • Haha 2