Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

_end_rule.pngchi.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

1. Chicago Bears (via CAR)

Caleb Williams, QB, USC

As we approach the one-year anniversary of the Bears' trading the No. 1 overall pick to Carolina, I continue to believe they will keep this selection and move on from Justin Fields. It's about restarting the quarterback clock and taking one of the best all-around prospects of the past decade. Williams has a rare skill set in terms of arm strength, accuracy, decision-making and mobility. Chicago will need to continue to help him: The organization could add a playmaker with the No. 9 pick, and it also has cap space to make moves in free agency.

wsh.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

2. Washington Commanders

Jayden Daniels, QB, LSU

I'm sticking with Daniels here over Drake Maye (North Carolina), though it's tight. Several NFL teams have Maye over Daniels on their boards two months out from the start of Round 1. I love Daniels' fit with new Commanders offensive coordinator Kliff Kingsbury, who will run a wide-open offense and put his quarterback in the best position to succeed. Washington already has two really good (and young) wideouts in Terry McLaurin and Jahan Dotson, so Daniels and Kingsbury would be able to start quickly.

Daniels made a massive leap during his time at LSU, developing into a top-tier passer and runner. I can't wait to watch him at the next level.

ne.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

3. New England Patriots

Drake Maye, QB, North Carolina

As I wrote in my Mock Draft 1.0, quarterback is the Patriots' biggest hole this offseason. The organization can't move forward and get back to competing for AFC East titles until it gets the position right. Mac Jones had a solid rookie season in 2021 but regressed badly the past two seasons; he could be traded or released over the next few months.

So unless New England takes a surprise run at one of the veterans on the market -- Kirk Cousins? Russell Wilson, who is likely to be released? -- Maye makes too much sense. Sure, he's the third passer off the board in this class, but he might be the No. 1 pick in many other drafts. He's No. 5 on my Big Board, has special touch on downfield passes and can deliver every throw with precision.

ari.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

4. Arizona Cardinals

Marvin Harrison Jr., WR, Ohio State

If the first three picks break this way, I suspect the Cardinals will rush their selection to the podium. Harrison is an elite wide receiver prospect with all the tools to be a future All-Pro. But unlike in usual drafts, when most trades up into the top five are for quarterbacks, I wonder if teams might try to trade up for Harrison. Would Arizona be able to pass up, for instance, a 2025 first-round pick to move down nine spots with Las Vegas? I'm not saying it would be able to get that haul, but it'd have to consider a deal if it did, right? The looming question is: Are the Cardinals a wide receiver away from contending?

Luckily, this doesn't have to be decided today. Harrison would slot in perfectly as Kyler Murray's No. 1 target, and Arizona also has the Texans' first-round pick at No. 27.

lac.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

5. Los Angeles Chargers

JC Latham, OT, Alabama

Here's a big -- literally -- deviation from my debut mock draft. When I projected the Chargers to take tight end Brock Bowers (Georgia) in January, it was before they had hired Jim Harbaugh as their new coach. And we should know from Harbaugh's time with the 49ers and at Michigan that he wants to build through the lines, which means starting with the 300-pounders. The 360-pound Latham started 27 games at right tackle in college, which is where he could slot in for L.A.

This is a little bit of a reach in my rankings -- Latham is No. 22 on my Big Board -- but he's a nasty run blocker, which is why I see a fit for him in this offense. He'd form a great pair of bookend tackles with Rashawn Slater.

nyg.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

6. New York Giants

Rome Odunze, WR, Washington

The Giants are coming off a disastrous season in which they ranked 29th in points scored per game on offense (14.0), 30th in yards per play (4.5) and 32nd in sack rate per dropback (12.8%). That was with only six games from Daniel Jones, though, and the quarterback should be recovered from his knee injury by the start of the 2024 season. So what's the best way to make sure that doesn't happen again? Get Jones some help. They have too many Nos. 2 and 3 receivers. Odunze, who caught 92 passes for 1,640 yards and 13 touchdowns last season, could be their No. 1 guy.

ten.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

7. Tennessee Titans

Joe Alt, OT, Notre Dame

Tennessee is a team to watch for a trade down, as it has multiple roster holes, including at cornerback, wide receiver and defensive line. General manager Ran Carthon could try to acquire future draft capital -- the organization already is without its third-round pick this year because of the move up for quarterback Will Levis a year ago.

If the Titans are staying put, though, they could do much worse than Alt, my top-ranked tackle in the class. He's one of the most consistent pass-blockers I've studied over the past few years; he just doesn't get beaten often. This would give them my top two O-linemen in back-to-back drafts, as they took Peter Skoronski at No. 11 a year ago.

atl.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

8. Atlanta Falcons

Dallas Turner, OLB, Alabama

The Falcons are the most interesting team this offseason with regard to the quarterback position. The decision will define new coach Raheem Morris' tenure, because the franchise has the skill-position talent to immediately compete in the NFC South. The problem here is I'm not ready to move J.J. McCarthy (Michigan) into the top 10, so Atlanta would either have to trade up -- sacrificing much-needed draft capital -- or reach a little bit for McCarthy or Michael Penix Jr. (Washington), who has a second-round grade in my rankings. This team might be better served using a significant chunk of its cap space on Kirk Cousins.

So I'll stick with the top edge rusher in the class to the Falcons, who ranked 32nd in pass rush win rate (30.9%) last season. Turner had 10 sacks last season, taking his game to a new level as the Crimson Tide's top defender. He has a really high ceiling.

chi.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

9. Chicago Bears

Malik Nabers, WR, LSU

We're back around to the Bears, to whom I gave quarterback Caleb Williams at No. 1. I thought about offensive line, though it might be a little early for Troy Fautanu (Washington), the best guard in the class. I also considered cornerback, though Chicago could franchise-tag or sign to a big extension free agent Jaylon Johnson, which would plug that hole. And since this is a strange year for edge rushers -- Laiatu Latu (UCLA) has medical questions that should be answered at the combine, and I don't have a top-15 grade on Jared Verse (Florida State) -- let's instead select a dynamic playmaker to make Williams' life easier.

Nabers had 89 receptions for 1,569 yards with 14 touchdowns last season, with 1,009 of those yards and 12 of those scores coming from when he lined up in the slot. That versatility would suit new coordinator Shane Waldron's offense. I have four wideouts in the top 11 of my rankings, and all four likely would be top-10 locks in any other draft.

nyj.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

10. New York Jets

Brock Bowers, TE, Georgia

How far could Bowers fall? My guy Field Yates got a lot of stick for slotting him to the Seahawks at No. 16. The reality is it's tough to find an ideal spot for Bowers in the top 10 because of the depth of the quarterback, offensive tackle and wide receiver classes. Each of those positions is valued higher than tight end. So while I love him as a prospect -- he's No. 8 on my Big Board -- it might take a trade for him to land in the top 10.

That is... unless the Jets take him here. Think about it: Aaron Rodgers is returning, they have a void at the position and they might jump at the opportunity to add a pass-catching tight end with rare run-after-the-catch ability. There's a natural fit. And yes, New York has a bigger hole at offensive tackle, but what if it doesn't totally love its options here? I always say -- drafting strictly for need will get teams into trouble. So even with Olu Fashanu (Penn State) on the board, I'm going with a Bowers-Jets connection.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/insider/story/_/id/39600424/2024-nfl-mock-draft-mel-kiper-new-first-round-predictions-32-picks-qb-fits

Latham at 5, funky from Kiper

23 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I don't have him that high but I really like him and can see him going late 2nd but probably in the 3rd.

I still find in funny Stover seems to be dropping on mocks. I have him as my TE3

Stover and Sinnott to me in particular combine is key

• Thumb down 1

47 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

No way Latham goes before Alt but I think Fashanu has a real chance to fall. 

JPJ will be a 1st rounder. All but guaranteed.

So, you think 2 IOL go in the first round, when OTs are still available? 

Bold guarantee there. 

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

As far as I can see Washington is the only question mark at the top. Bears are going Williams, Pats take which ever QB we don't select and Marvin Harrison Jr. goes to the Cards.  I am convinced of this.  

I think that Pats take Maye if we take Daniels, but if we take Maye, Pats will trade back for extra picks and a tier two QB. 

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Latham at 5, funky from Kiper

Funny I kept saying he might be the best OT in the draft over the past couple of months. But a RT over a LT at 5? Nope. 

Edit: And that is a dream draft for Chicago. Caleb and Nabers to go on the other side of DJ Moore is insane. 

Edited by clskinsfan

15 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Picks 36 and 40 are a sweet spot for quality prospects. I still want to trade back from one of them, but it's difficult with who is likely available.

Agree. That is another massive call for Peters. We could move back,  acquire a later 2nd, extra 3 and 5 for example. Peters prides himself on those mid/later picks. 

17 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

https://commanderswire.usatoday.com/2024/02/27/washington-commanders-drake-maye-2024-nfl-draft-merril-hoge/

NFL analyst: Commanders should not take Drake Maye in the first round

Sounds like Hoge doesn't want to put Caleb Williams in the 1st round either, but he feels like he has to.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If Wilson's medicals are OK.  I am with @Going Commando among others on Wilson.  Stud.

He's the biggest boom-bust player in the class to me.  He literally has it all except good health.  Instincts, diagnostic skills, leadership, size, speed, aggression, balance, strength, and change of direction ability.  But he's got two bad knees and shoulders.  If he had a clean medical history, he would be in Fred Warner's world.  He would be up there with Arnold, Verse, Latu, and Murphy in contention to be the best defensive player in the class.

But his injury history is so bad that I couldn't justify the risk he poses until round three.  If he hit though... him and Jamin would be an ultra athletic tandem.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Guys with an injury history like that almost never pan out. He's undraftable to me until round 4 at the absolute earliest.

I think it's more about luck than anything.  Jon Allen has two bad shoulders too, but I don't think those have been an issue for him at all in the NFL.  His injuries have been one offs unrelated to the chronic conditions in his shoulders, like the Lisfranc and MCL sprain.

I can't rule Wilson out.  He might be healthy, he might get hurt.  You balance that against the surety that the dude can play.  You can't say the same about most of the other LBers in the class.  I'd rather have a guy with an injury history who can play than a healthy guy who can't.

Every mock draft that has us passing Maye for Daniels makes my stomach hurt.  Passing on a significantly younger QB with a much more stout build, to draft an old prospect that has a more frail body than RGIII is the epitome of the Redskins in the Daniel Snyder era.  To get to the Superbowl, that means playing 19 games.  I can't imagine Jayden Daniels being healthy for more than 12-13 games (even if he trots out there, his 'skillset' is diminished when dinged up)... let alone for 10-15 years.  Good grief. I just have to trust that the front office is not filled with morons any longer.

1 hour ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Picks 36 and 40 are a sweet spot for quality prospects. I still want to trade back from one of them, but it's difficult with who is likely available.

I think Peters does from #40.  Just a guess on my part but we need players and he's good at finding them mid/later part of draft.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I think it's more about luck than anything.  Jon Allen has two bad shoulders too, but I don't think those have been an issue for him at all in the NFL.  His injuries have been one offs unrelated to the chronic conditions in his shoulders, like the Lisfranc and MCL sprain.

I can't rule Wilson out.  He might be healthy, he might get hurt.  You balance that against the surety that the dude can play.  You can't say the same about most of the other LBers in the class.  I'd rather have a guy with an injury history who can play than a healthy guy who can't.

The medical knock on Wilson, the personality knock on Cooper, both make me take Gray at 40.

3 hours ago, Going Commando said:

He's the biggest boom-bust player in the class to me.  He literally has it all except good health.  Instincts, diagnostic skills, leadership, size, speed, aggression, balance, strength, and change of direction ability.  But he's got two bad knees and shoulders.  If he had a clean medical history, he would be in Fred Warner's world.  He would be up there with Arnold, Verse, Latu, and Murphy in contention to be the best defensive player in the class.

But his injury history is so bad that I couldn't justify the risk he poses until round three.  If he hit though... him and Jamin would be an ultra athletic tandem.

Fully healthy I have him in the low 20s and marked as my favorite defender in the draft. However, I must concur that his injury history scares the crap out of me. He'd need an incredibly clean health report for me to think about him in the 3rd. Really a shame and I hope he is healthy and plays well for a decade (outside the NFCE of course)