Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

13 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Robinson is a top shelf athlete with bottom shelf production.  He's a project, but an interesting one.  I'd trust a Dan Quinn defense to mold him, but it'll take time.  So I could see the league being lower on him than we would be, but that means we don't have to sweat him dropping to our picks.

I agree on Chop, I think he's the typical workout warrior who will get to the NFL and be just as unproductive (and injury-prone? 8 games in 2021, 1 in 22, 7 in 23) as he was in college.

Dariius Robinson and Jared Verse, on the other hand, had almost identical stats in 2023, and Robinson played tougher competition (SEC).  Darius is the Robinson for me 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

We have to fill a 53 man roster.

I just counted 29 ... 30 if you count our long-snapper ... 31 if you plan to keep Fromm around ... players that I would say are locks or at least close enough to the 53-man discussion to not feel like you need a replacement.

So we'll need to basically add a minimum of 20-24 players this off-season. 

Lots of UDFA incoming. And also a need to probably create additional draft capital. 

QB: Howell

RB: Robinson, Rodriguez

WR: McLaurin, Dotson, Brown

TE: Bates, Turner

OT: Leno, Daniels, Wylie

OG: Cosmi, Paul

OC: Gates, Stromberg

DT: Payne, Allen, Mathis, Ridgeway

DE: Henry, Jones

LB: Davis

CB: St. Juste, Forbes, Martin

FS: Forrest, Butler

S: ____

K: ___

P: Way

LS: Addington

Yes, we literally do not have a SS on the roster. We also only have 1 LB and 2 DE under contract.

Did Forrest's best play come at SS when Curl was hurt and missed the start of the 2022 season? Anyways, I think you need to be a bit more pessimistic here. A lot of these guys were brought in under what old coaches wanted. New coaches probably don't feel the same way about what these players can bring to the table. Dyami Brown, Daniels, Henry, Jones, and Paul might be viewed as more on the roster bubble than we realize.

What's saving them is a complete lack of anybody else around them currently. But if we sign some guys in FA and accumulate more draft picks? All of those players could be in training camp desperately competing for an eventual spot on the practice squad.

19 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Parsons is a full time Edge. He rarely lines up elsewhere anymore.

I thought he lined up everywhere, I know have seen him blow up our line in the middle a lot coming from a standup LB spot   

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As far as stats, here is what I compiled from PFF as to pass rushers

Screen Shot 2024-02-06 at 12.31.29 PM.png

Jaylen Harrell was a guy I’d picked out for day 3, no idea if he’s been talked about in here yet….

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As far as stats, here is what I compiled from PFF as to pass rushers

Screen Shot 2024-02-06 at 12.31.29 PM.png

I'm going to need PFF to explain how Chop Robinson can have the 3rd highest Pass Rush Win Rate, 2nd highest Pass Rush Grade and "True Set pass rush", but the lowest amount of Hurries.

Something is weird there. If he's winning that often, with those high grades, he should be hurrying the QB. Unless those aren't actually wins and the OT is fine with what Chop Robinson's pass rush is doing (steering him away from the QB drop spot). Like a "sure you can get around me here, it doesn't matter cause the QB isn't near there"

1 minute ago, FlyBigBeard said:

I thought he lined up everywhere, I know have seen him blow up our line in the middle a lot coming from a standup LB spot   

His first year in Dallas they really tried to use him everywhere, he spent a lot of time as an offball LB. They eventually realized why bother when he's still raw at offball LB yet so much better than everyone else on the team at rushing the passer.

14 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

I'm going to need PFF to explain how Chop Robinson can have the 3rd highest Pass Rush Win Rate, 2nd highest Pass Rush Grade and "True Set pass rush", but the lowest amount of Hurries.

That's pretty easy to explain.  He didn't have the same number of reps as many of those pass rushers.  In some cases they had double the reps as Robinson.

But as I've said before if people care about PFF's opinion.  It's not in their grade of the reps.  It's in the ranking of the actual player where they factor context-traits, etc.  And they ranked Chop as a mid 2nd rounder.

• Like 1

https://www.nfl.com/news/lance-zierlein-2024-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-falcons-patriots-make-trades-to-land-qbs

Has this been posted yet? Another big name guy with a post senior bowl mock. Things to note:

• Drake Maye falls to #5
  • Fuaga is the first OL off the board at #6
  • Fashanu is at #18
  • JJ McCarthy at #12 and Nix at #30
  • 9 OL go in Round 1.
  • Roman Wilson sneaks into the end of the first. If we want someone we know can separate against man coverage (and our new OC probably stresses that skillset), then we might need to go WR early in the 2nd.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lavar1156 said:

We're going to take him in the 2nd round.

That would be a huge surprise! Most of the projections I see have him closer to the fifth round pick.

:229:The Rook

5 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/lance-zierlein-2024-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-falcons-patriots-make-trades-to-land-qbs

Has this been posted yet? Another big name guy with a post senior bowl mock. Things to note:

• Drake Maye falls to #5
  • Fashanu is at #18
  • 9 OL go in Round 1.
  • Roman Wilson sneaks into the end of the first. If we want someone we know can separate against man coverage (and our new OC probably stresses that skillset), then we might need to go WR early in the 2nd.

That mock is just all over the place

• Like 2

_end_rule.png2483.png&h=110&w=110

Bo Nix, Oregon

Kiper's position ranking: QB6

Earliest predicted draft range: Bottom third of Round 1

Talent evaluators were in agreement that Nix found another level to his game at Oregon, where he threw 74 touchdown passes and just 10 interceptions over two seasons. The Nix they saw at Auburn wasn't nearly as refined in meshing his physical tools and mobility into consistent, high-level production in the passing game.

That's why execs see the first round as his ceiling. As one NFC South scout said: "It only takes one team to think he's QB3 or QB4.''

If Caleb Williams (USC), Drake Maye (North Carolina) and Jayden Daniels (LSU) are the first three quarterbacks off the board -- and each come off the board in the top eight picks -- that could put Nix, Penix and J.J. McCarthy (Michigan) in play sooner than some current execs' grades indicate.

Latest predicted draft range: Early Round 3

According to one general manager, Penix's medical evaluations -- more on those in a minute -- could have an impact on him moving up and Nix moving down and vice-versa. The latest round a source predicted was "early third, if people come away feeling better about Penix or somebody else."

Evaluators arrived in Mobile wanting to see Nix operate out of the comfort of Oregon's offense, work under center and drive the ball downfield when the opportunity arose. They left Mobile with the feeling Nix hadn't answered those questions. Nix had a spotty practice week in terms of accuracy, especially when he tried to push the ball downfield.

Most likely draft range: Early to middle of Round 2

264.png&h=110&w=110

Michael Penix Jr., Washington

Kiper's position ranking: QB5

Earliest predicted draft range: Bottom third of Round 1

If Penix did not have significant injury history he likely would have had more ardent support in Mobile as the top quarterback in attendance. Despite consistently showing a quality arm during the week, it all comes with a big "if" ahead of medical evaluations at the combine.

Penix played three, six, six and five games, respectively, in his four seasons at Indiana, because of two ACL tears in his right knee and injuries to both shoulders, including his left (throwing) arm.

He had no such issues in two high-octane seasons at Washington, where he threw 67 touchdown passes and 17 interceptions. He said in Mobile he has been cleared by doctors in exams on his knee after the season. But until the teams see for themselves at the combine and decide what they think of those exams, his true draft status might not be known.

"If he clears the medicals, or a team's doctors don't have concerns, I could see a team like that coming back into the first round or something," one NFC general manager told me. "But for me, again, there's a lot of work to be done."

Latest predicted draft range: Day 3

This would be the worst-case scenario if teams come away from the combine with medical concerns. Most of those surveyed said they saw no issues in Penix's movement this week, so it would take a red flag at the combine for him to fall out of Day 2.

Asked in Mobile if he thought teams still had concerns about his health, Penix said, "Possibly, especially given my background. I have been hurt quite a few times in my career, I know that, but whenever they check everything, they're going to see I'm good. And I can continue to show them I'm good.''

Penix is an easy thrower, and the ball comes out of his hand with plenty of pop, but he doesn't always get his lower body involved enough in his throwing motion, even when the pocket is clean. More than one scout pointed to that this week.

Most likely draft range: Day 2

2579.png&h=110&w=110

Spencer Rattler, South Carolina

Kiper's position ranking: QB7

Earliest predicted draft range: Bottom of Round 3, top of Round 4

Some scouts said that Rattler, who transferred from Oklahoma in 2022, could help himself the most with a good week in Mobile. But then he and the other quarterbacks on the American roster for the game -- Rattler, Joe Milton III, Michael Pratt and Carter Bradley -- all struggled during Tuesday's practice to open their on-field work. They were slightly better on Wednesday, especially Rattler, but none of the four rose above in the first two practices.

Rattler was inconsistent the past two seasons, throwing 20 interceptions with 37 touchdown passes while completing 67.5% of his passes.

Latest predicted draft range: Bottom third of Round 6, top third of Round 7

Rattler doesn't always use his lower body enough, especially on throws down the field, and he looks as if he is short-arming things at times because of it. And while teams like his off-schedule work and ability to throw on the move, there are times he bails out of the pocket too early. Many of the scouts surveyed said they wanted to see more from Rattler in Mobile.

"There are some things, release, footwork, if he'll put in the work, can improve," an AFC West scout said.

Most likely draft range: Bottom of Round 4

2655.png&h=110&w=110

Michael Pratt, Tulane

Kiper's position ranking: QB8

Earliest predicted draft range: Top of Round 4

Pratt, who started 45 games in college, was listed slightly bigger than he actually was when scouts broke out the tape measure and scale in Mobile. Tulane had him at 6-foot-3 and 220 pounds, but he checked in at 6-foot-2⅜ and 216 pounds on Monday.

Pratt's willingness to hang in the pocket to make throws late in the down gives him some upside with evaluators. After completing less than 58% of his passes during his first two collegiate seasons, he was over 63% in 2022 and 2023. Some scouts said this week his "best" draft status could improve to a Day 2 pick as we get closer to the draft.

Latest predicted draft range: Late Round 7 or priority undrafted free agent

Evaluators raised concerns about Pratt's long delivery and impatience in the red zone at times. He isn't the mover some of the other quarterbacks in the class are, which is notable, as the NFL continues to move toward more dual-threat passers. Among those surveyed in Mobile, he was considered most likely to be a Day 3 pick.

Most likely draft range: Bottom third of Round 5, top of Round 6

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/draft2024/insider/story/_/id/39437476/2024-nfl-draft-predicted-round-ranges-seven-senior-bowl-qbs-penix-nix-rattler

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Matt Miller Mock

_end_rule.png

ROUND 1

chi.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

1. Chicago Bears (via CAR)

Caleb Williams, QB, USC

Everyone I spoke to at the Senior Bowl speculated that the Bears will draft Williams first overall and then trade starting quarterback Justin Fields for a package potentially centered around a second-round pick. That's also what I would do if I were in GM Ryan Poles' shoes. Williams is a unique quarterback prospect with elite arm strength and field vision, plus an innate ability to create plays from inside and outside the pocket. He has 93 career touchdown throws and just 14 interceptions.

Fields has taken steps, but Williams' ceiling is a top-three NFL quarterback. The Bears -- who are 24th in QBR (45.1) since drafting Fields in 2021 -- can't pass that up.

wsh.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

2. Washington Commanders

Drake Maye, QB, North Carolina

The Commanders have a new coach in Dan Quinn and are likely zeroing in on quarterback prospects at No. 2 after Sam Howell posted matching touchdown and interception totals (21 apiece) in 2023. Maye received rave reviews in a recent conversation with an NFC quarterbacks coach who has studied his film: "He's Josh Allen, Justin Herbert ... and I think his arm is comparable to C.J. Stroud." Those comparisons are high praise and would be tough for new general manager Adam Peters to ignore. Maye's arm talent and mobility at 6-foot-4 and 230 pounds perfectly fit the modern quarterback profile.

_end_rule.png

ROUND 2

car.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

33. Carolina Panthers

Ladd McConkey, WR, Georgia

The Panthers didn't do a great job surrounding rookie quarterback Bryce Young with talent at wide receiver in 2023 and must make major additions this offseason. McConkey is the best route runner in the draft with excellent stop-start quickness and acceleration out of his cuts. He's also sure-handed enough to be the Panthers' No. 1 receiving option.

pla

34. New England Patriots

Patrick Paul, OT, Houston

A strong week of practice at the Senior Bowl might have moved Paul into Round 1, but with the way this board fell, the Patriots find a potential starter at left tackle early on Day 2. Paul needs to add strength to his lower body, but scouts are in love with his 36¼-inch arm length and 6-foot-7, 333-pound frame. With needs all over the roster, the Patriots have to take swings at solving premium positions. Offensive linemen Trent Brown and Mike Onwenu are both free agents.

ari.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

35. Arizona Cardinals

Nate Wiggins, CB, Clemson

After adding a wide receiver and right tackle in Round 1 in this scenario, the Cardinals could flip to the defense, which lacks a playmaker at cornerback. Wiggins is 6-foot-2 and expected to run in the 4.3s in the 40-yard dash at the combine. He's ideal for schemes that favor man coverage, can dominate at the line of scrimmage and picked off two passes in 2023.

36. Washington Commanders

Chris Braswell, DE, Alabama

Braswell moved into a full-time starter role in 2023 and thrived opposite Dallas Turner with 12 tackles for loss and eight sacks. The Commanders traded away pass-rushers Montez Sweat and Chase Young at the deadline in October, and after addressing quarterback in Round 1 of this mock draft, they can fill that edge rush void here.

lac.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

37. Los Angeles Chargers

Edgerrin Cooper, LB, Texas A&M

The middle of the field has long been an issue for the Chargers' defense, and linebacker Kenneth Murray Jr. hits free agency this offseason. Cooper, a top-25 player on my board who is here only because of positional value, could upgrade the defense with his three-down ability. He posted 14 tackles for loss, eight sacks and three pass breakups in 2023.

ten.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

38. Tennessee Titans

Adonai Mitchell, WR, Texas

The Titans lack a future WR1; Treylon Burks has struggled to live up to his first-round billing, and veteran DeAndre Hopkins will be 32 years old next season. Mitchell is a 6-foot-4 wideout with really good separating ability that showed on tape to the tune of 11 touchdowns and 41 first-down receptions for the Longhorns in 2023. He is at his best on vertical routes, which matches up well with the arm talent of Titans quarterback Will Levis.

nyg.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

39. New York Giants

Graham Barton, G, Duke

The Giants' offensive line was a massive issue in 2023, as the team allowed 85 sacks. Barton, who played left tackle at Duke, is projected to slide inside to guard or center in the pros. If the Giants are sticking with right tackle Evan Neal, Barton becomes a Day 1 starter at guard -- but also an insurance policy at tackle.

Quarterback is a need in New York, too, but Washington's Michael Penix Jr. is not a scheme fit for Brian Daboll's offense. A veteran option (Jacoby Brissett?) alongside Daniel Jones is more likely if the Giants don't go quarterback in Round 1.

40. Washington Commanders (via CHI)

Chop Robinson, DE, Penn State

The edge-rushing cupboard is bare in Washington, so even though we just got the Commanders a defensive end at No. 36, we're going back to that well at No. 40 -- and using the pick that Washington got from Chicago in the Montez Sweat deal. Robinson, a speedy pass-rusher at 250 pounds, would pair nicely with the power of Braswell. He posted just four sacks in 2023 while dealing with some nagging injuries, but Robinson has rumored 4.4 speed, and his stock could skyrocket after the combine.

gb.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

41. Green Bay Packers (via NYJ)

Kamari Lassiter, CB, Georgia

I know the Packers took a cornerback in Round 1 (DeJean), but they still need more help. That's especially true when you consider Jaire Alexander played just seven games this season. Lassiter is a powerful cornerback at the line of scrimmage who had eight pass breakups and allowed nine catches in 2023. That's a great ratio. Lassiter is the type of enforcer new defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will want in this defense.

min.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

42. Minnesota Vikings

Michael Penix Jr., QB, Washington

Penix's draft stock varies depending on whom you ask, but the most consistent answer I've heard is the second round, given the four season-ending injuries he suffered at Indiana (two knee injuries, two shoulder injuries). Penix has excellent arm strength and velocity, and as a pure passer, he's a first-rounder. He threw for nearly 5,000 yards in 2023 and helped lead Washington to the national title game. But those injury and durability questions push him to the Vikings.

It's great news for Minnesota, where Kirk Cousins is set to become a 35-year-old free agent coming off an Achilles injury. Penix can be the quarterback-in-waiting if Cousins is re-signed, or the immediate starter if he is not.

atl.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

43. Atlanta Falcons

Devontez Walker, WR, North Carolina

Drake London will return as the WR1, but Mack Hollins, Van Jefferson, Scott Miller and KhaDarel Hodge are all set to hit free agency. Walker has great power in his route tree and an ability to run through contact both before and after the catch. The Falcons need a vertical threat opposite London, and Walker would bring that to the table immediately (17.0 yards per catch in 2023).

lv.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

44. Las Vegas Raiders

Troy Franklin, WR, Oregon

Let's give new quarterback McCarthy some friends in the passing game. Franklin is a vertical threat with awesome speed and a 6-foot-3 frame. He grabbed 14 touchdowns in 2023 and picked up 1,383 yards on 81 catches. With 31% of his routes classifying as deep routes, Franklin is ready to stretch the field in the NFL.

no.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

45. New Orleans Saints (via DEN)

Xavier Legette, WR, South Carolina

Veteran wide receiver Michael Thomas is expected to hit free agency and might not return, leaving the Saints with a hole opposite Chris Olave. Legette is powerful at 6-foot-1 and 227 pounds and has an ability to play inside or outside. He's a master on crossing routes and averaged 17.6 yards per reception in 2023.

ind.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

46. Indianapolis Colts

Malachi Corley, WR, Western Kentucky

Corley is one of my favorite receivers in the class thanks to his after-the-catch ability and versatility. At 5-foot-11 and 215 pounds, there are obvious Deebo Samuel comparisons; Corley averaged 8.8 yards after the catch per reception in 2023. He could either soften the blow of losing Michael Pittman Jr. in free agency or help round out what would be a fantastic receiving trio alongside Josh Downs and Pittman.

nyg.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

47. New York Giants (via SEA)

Kris Jenkins, DT, Michigan

Trading Leonard Williams to the Seahawks landed the Giants this pick but also left a need for an interior penetrator next to nose tackle Dexter Lawrence II. Jenkins moved all over the Michigan defensive line and ended up playing more 5-technique in 2023, but his flashes of burst and power have me thinking his best football is still coming, once he's able to shoot gaps and make plays in the backfield. Despite not being freed up to attack as a pass-rusher, Jenkins still finished with 16 pressures and 2.5 sacks in 2023.

jax.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

48. Jacksonville Jaguars

Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan

If the Jaguars re-sign Calvin Ridley to a new contract this offseason, this pick goes to the Falcons. But for now, we're keeping it in Jacksonville and using it on a wide receiver to help quarterback Trevor Lawrence on the outside. Wilson had a fantastic Senior Bowl week and showcased his top-tier agility and hands. In a Michigan offense that didn't throw the ball a ton, Wilson had 48 catches in 2023 but scored 12 touchdowns with those opportunities. His toughness and quickness would fit in the Jaguars' offense perfectly.

cin.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

49. Cincinnati Bengals

Ja'Tavion Sanders, TE, Texas

The first-round addition of Thomas would help the potential WR hole in Cincinnati, but don't sleep on the fact that not one tight end is under contract for next season. Sanders is more of a Y tight end than in-line player, and he made a living bursting up seams at Texas. The 6-foot-4, 243-pound junior caught 99 passes for seven touchdowns in the past two seasons and comes to the NFL as a ready-made flex tight end option.

phi.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

50. Philadelphia Eagles (via NO)

Tyler Nubin, S, Minnesota

The Eagles have to invest heavily in the middle of the field on defense in this draft. After getting a starting cornerback in Round 1 (Mitchell), a starting free safety in Round 2 would fill another hole. Nubin grabbed five interceptions in 2023 after nabbing four of them in the previous season. He's a ball hawk with 6-foot-2 size and range to attack over the top. He's the best safety in this class and would give Philadelphia the speed and ball skills that were so badly missed this season on the back end.

pit.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

51. Pittsburgh Steelers

Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia

A season-ending leg injury kept Frazier from participating in the Senior Bowl, but scouts have still been buzzing about him. He was a four-time state champion wrestler in high school and brings that toughness, quickness and leverage to the football field. The Steelers' offensive line can continue to get a makeover in this draft, with Frazier fitting as the new starting center as a rookie.

lar.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

52. Los Angeles Rams

Bralen Trice, DE, Washington

The Rams finished 23rd in the NFL with 41 sacks during the regular season. Trice had 14 tackles for loss and seven sacks in 2023, and he has fantastic pass-rush moves in his toolbox. His quickness off the ball stuns offensive tackles and will get him into the Rams' starting lineup as a rookie.

phi.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

53. Philadelphia Eagles

Junior Colson, LB, Michigan

If you watched the Eagles' collapse late this season, the lack of talent and depth at linebacker was a key issue. Colson is the best run-defending linebacker in the class but also has excellent range to make plays outside the tackle box. He had 101 tackles manning the middle of the field for Michigan and has a game very similar to the Chiefs' Nick Bolton. In Philly, he could be a rookie starter and cornerstone defensive player.

cle.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

54. Cleveland Browns

T'Vondre Sweat, DT, Texas

Let's fix the Browns' run defense by plugging in the 6-foot-4, 362-pound Outland Trophy winner at nose tackle. Sweat is an immovable force in the middle of the defensive line, but he also has enough quickness to rack up 22 pressures and two sacks in 2023 while consistently collapsing the pocket and chasing down ball carriers. The Browns enter an offseason with three defensive tackles hitting free agency, making this both a need for the team and a great value pick.

mia.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

55. Miami Dolphins

Cooper Beebe, G, Kansas State

Robert Hunt, Connor Williams and Robert Jones all hit free agency this offseason, making it a near-lock that the Dolphins will add a guard or center early in the draft. Beebe played left guard at an expert level for Kansas State, but there has been chatter about his potential at center. His movement ability in the run game just so happens to be a perfect fit for Mike McDaniel's offense, too.

dal.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

56. Dallas Cowboys

Kingsley Suamataia, G, BYU

The impending free agency of left tackle Tyron Smith could move 2022 first-rounder Tyler Smith to left tackle, opening the door for an addition along the offensive line in Round 2. Suamataia is an easy-moving, aggressive blocker who has experience at left tackle. He took snaps at right tackle and guard at the Senior Bowl, too, and handled himself quite well working inside. Losing a future Hall of Famer in Tyron Smith won't be easy, but the Dallas offensive line would be in good hands with Suamataia entering the fold.

tb.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

57. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Kamren Kinchens, S, Miami

Kinchens leaves college with 11 interceptions gathered over the past two seasons and can stay in Florida with this selection. Tampa Bay had just 13 interceptions as a team during the regular season, good for 17th overall. An over-the-top safety prospect, Kinchens has great versatility and the size at 6-foot and 205 pounds to play a variety of alignments. Both starting safeties in Tampa Bay -- Antoine Winfield Jr. and Ryan Neal -- are pending free agents, and Kinchens could fill a starting role immediately even if one of them returns.

gb.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

58. Green Bay Packers

Jonathon Brooks, RB, Texas

Our first running back off the board, Brooks rushed for 1,139 yards and 10 touchdowns before tearing his ACL in November. A downhill runner with great patience and good runaway speed, he has the size at 6-foot and 207 pounds to be a featured back in the pros. Aaron Jones still has gas left in the tank, but I like the idea of Brooks being a rookie RB2 and future starter.

hou.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

59. Houston Texans

Leonard Taylor III, DT, Miami

Here, the Texans can land a replacement for defensive tackle Sheldon Rankins. The Hurricanes' defense asked Taylor to play primarily nose tackle in 2023, which limited his pass-rush opportunities, but the tape shows the quickness and instincts to be a productive gap player. Taylor has 27 career tackles for loss across 31 games, and his best football is still ahead of him.

buf.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

60. Buffalo Bills

Ja'Lynn Polk, WR, Washington

Gabe Davis is a free agent this offseason, and Stefon Diggs' future in Buffalo is uncertain. The Bills need a reliable playmaker after Diggs failed to have a 100-yard receiving game after Week 6 this season. Polk is a physical receiver who excels on underneath and choice routes. While being the No. 2 option behind Odunze at Washington, Polk still caught 69 passes for 1,159 yards and nine scores. The 6-foot-2 204-pounder has future WR1 ability.

det.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

61. Detroit Lions

T.J. Tampa, CB, Iowa State

A physical cornerback who loves to chop it up at the line of scrimmage, the 6-foot-2, 200-pound Tampa has stellar size and length for the position. He has ball skills, too, as he grabbed two picks and broke up six passes in 2023. He could be the Lions' answer to the starting cornerback job opposite Cameron Sutton, with Kindle Vildor being a free agent.

bal.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

62. Baltimore Ravens

Javon Bullard, S, Georgia

The Baltimore defense is built from the inside out, and the team will be tasked with re-signing defensive tackle Justin Madubuike and linebacker Patrick Queen in free agency. If either player leaves, this pick would pivot to that respective position. For now, I'm focusing on safety, though. Bullard is an instinctive safety with four interceptions, 11 pass breakups and 3.5 sacks over the past two seasons. His ability to thrive both in the box and in coverage would provide Baltimore an answer at the position if free agent Geno Stone can't be retained.

sf.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

63. San Francisco 49ers

Adisa Isaac, DE, Penn State

One of the big winners of Senior Bowl week, Isaac showed pass-rushing traits (quickness, flexibility and strength) that project to starter level in the pros, despite being undersized at 6-foot-5 and 250 pounds. The 49ers traded for Chase Young, but he's going to be an unrestricted free agent. And while 2022 second-rounder Drake Jackson could be a starter once he returns from injury, the team needs more depth and speed at defensive end. Isaac would be the team's best edge player outside of Nick Bosa.

kc.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

64. Kansas City Chiefs

Michael Hall Jr., DT, Ohio State

Chris Jones' future in Kansas City is unclear, with the star defensive tackle set to get a big contract in free agency. And because cornerback L'Jarius Sneed is also a free agent, the Chiefs have some big decisions ahead -- but re-signing Sneed and drafting to replace Jones is the most likely scenario. Hall had a dominant Senior Bowl week, showcasing burst and first-step quickness that is rarely seen from a college tackle. He's undersized at 6-foot-2 and 280 pounds, but the Chiefs are desperate for an inside rusher, and Hall excels there.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/insider/story/_/id/39437517/2024-nfl-mock-draft-predictions-two-rounds-64-picks-matt-miller-senior-bowl

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1

^^^ so much talent in the 2nd round!

DE at 36 and 40 probably would not thrill the Commanders fans. 

I hope they at least go after one good one in FA. Then they have their options on WR, TE, OL, DB...

19 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

SIP explained it, but I want to elaborate a little more that Robinson only played about 1000 total snaps in his entire career.  That's what some of the top guys played in their final season.  His best season was 2022 where he only played 414 snaps, which is the equivalent of less than five games for an every down defender in the NFL.  He has virtually no experience and is basically a totally raw prospect who probably didn't develop much at all in college.  His snaps played are a pretty major red flag for me.

On top of that, he played sparingly against Ohio State because he got injured early, so that was probably the best one on one match up we could have judged his potential against and it didn't pan out.  His only high end opponent that he played a bunch of snaps against this year was Michigan, and he didn't register a tackle in that game.  Looked like he had two hurries early on, but was pretty much gassed by the third quarter and started running all over him and he was getting sealed on both sides every time with minimal effort to fit his gap.

The picture is starting to clear up on both him and this edge class for me now that I've watched all of the top guys more.  Chop's talent absolutely jumps off the screen because he's so much more athletic than his match ups.  His first step is the most explosive in the class and his speed to power is really good.  He does have good size and functional strength, and he generates a ton of force at really difficult angles for OLs and TEs by how explosively he resets the LoS off the snap.  That part of his game feels very Micah Parsons esque.

But the football IQ and gas tank of a Micah Parsons aren't even remotely there with Chop.  He's not that caliber of player at all.  That's why he's got like 15 tackles in a season when Parsons had like 100.  Chop is a really interesting project specifically for a team like us where the scheme fit is ideal, but he's not as good right now as a bunch of the top DLs in the class, and he's not going to play a ton of snaps early in his career.

I'm interested in picking him in the 40s or 50s as a third down rusher for Quinn to mold, but only if Latu, Trice, Elliss, and probably Braswell are all gone.  Those guys are way cleaner and more skilled and further along in their development.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Chump Bailey said:

Big fan of his. Ditto with the Florida State DT Fiske. 

I like Fiske too.  I like that whole Florida State front.  They were dominant.  Fiske reminds me an awful lot of Daron Payne, just doesn't have his same arm length or youth on draft day.  I probably wouldn't draft him for us unless we trade back into the 50s, but I think he's going to be a good NFL player who is better than his likely draft slot.  I think he gets picked in the late second or early third.

This IDL class is kind of like the RB class for me.  Thin and a bit old, but the quality of the top five guys in the class is high, and they are going to get under drafted and probably play well as rookies.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Matt Miller Mock

I cant see us going back to back edge in the 2nd. I think we will address it in FA. Edge is strong in FA. Tackle isnt imo. 

Also edited this to add I want to see what we have in KJ Henry and Toohill. Quinn will get the most out of those guys.

Edited by clskinsfan

I actually don't dislike that Miller mock for us even though it is disappointing that Paul, McConkey, and Wiggins all go before our picks.  It feels like we're getting BPA value with Braswell and Chop.  I don't think Miller is being that realistic about Braswell's draft range though.  PFF feels closer to being accurate by having him in the 20s.  Braswell's testing numbers are ridiculous and he's probably going to solidify his stock as a first rounder at the combine.  He was #7 on Feldman's freaks list this year and #10 the year before.  He has 33" arms, weighs just under 260, squats over 700 pounds, has almost a 40 inch vert, and apparently hit almost 22 mph on the GPS.  And he plays as a stand up OLB.  He has good film too, he's not a free lancer and does a fantastic job in a traditional edge role in terms of lane/gap integrity.  There isn't a special playmaking spark there with him like with Latu or Verse, but he does make a handful of splashy plays and does a solid job finishing his opportunities.  His floor is super high and he's basically scheme independent.  The only way I see him busting is if he gets hurt.

• Like 1

Mike Renner's Senior Bowl OL & DL Risers and Fallers

Risers:

Christian Jones OT 

Tyler Guyton OT 

Jackson Powers Johnson Center highest grade since Tyler Linderbaum 

Christian Haynes RG

Dominick Puni OG

Tanor Bortolini Center

Gabe Hall DT

Michael Hall Jr. DT

Marshawn Kneeland Edge

Darius Robinson Edge

Fallers:

Jordan Morgan OT but thinks he could be a very good Guard

Javon Foster OT too much of a project

Brandon Fiske DT worried about his short arms 

Tyler Davis DT

Javon Soloman Edge

28 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I like Fiske too

Mike Renner is a bit down on Fiske because of his short arms but still believes he can play at the next level. 

20 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

• Drake Maye falls to #5
  • Fashanu is at #18
  • 9 OL go in Round 1.

I like Roman Wilson from watching him in the playoffs for the National Champ. JJ. McCarthy moving up. No bias here either, not a Mich. fan if wondering?

37 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Mike Renner's Senior Bowl OL & DL Risers and Fallers

Risers:

Christian Jones OT 

Tyler Guyton OT 

Jackson Powers Johnson Center highest grade since Tyler Linderbaum 

Christian Haynes RG

Dominick Puni OG

Tanor Bortolini Center

Gabe Hall DT

Michael Hall Jr. DT

Marshawn Kneeland Edge

Darius Robinson Edge

Fallers:

Jordan Morgan OT but thinks he could be a very good Guard

Javon Foster OT too much of a project

Brandon Fiske DT worried about his short arms 

Tyler Davis DT

Javon Soloman Edge

Mike Renner is a bit down on Fiske because of his short arms but still believes he can play at the next level. 

Quinyon Mitchell, the CB from Toledo that was apparently a man amongst boys during the entire week. He's already considered a top 30 guy but thought I should mention 

Edited by Bantu
  • Like 1