Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

2 hours ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

They might show up and get measured/weighed but I suspect they won't throw.

That'll be for the private workouts.

I could see Maye participating. He just has that “i got nothing to lose imma show what i got idgaf” attitude like Stroud last year.

41 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah am big on Legette.   @KDawg among others here love him, too.

Legette is what Dawand Jones was last year, a dude loved much more on this thread than the mock draft community.

But i am rooting for the mock draft community to end up right that he falls to the early 2nd.  

I suspect Legette is going to break the combine and that ensures he's in the first. 

This is how I feel this year about both Leggette and Fuaga. It is not the norm for me fall for two players the same year but they would be so good in Washington. 

29 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The fact that you had to post all that is a red flag in of itself. 

I mean it's clear you don't care for him and your mind is made up which is your prerogative . If the Bears don't open the phone line, it won't matter to you and I as Commanders fans. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Blanka said:

I mean it's clear you don't care for him and your mind is made up which is your prerogative . If the Bears don't open the phone line, it won't matter to you and I as Commanders fans. 

Id still take him at 2 if Maye goes 1 

22 minutes ago, Blanka said:

I actually fully agree with Warhead. Williams is seemingly a walking red flag.

I also don’t care. If he’s there, you take him. No questions. No overthinking.

If his skills translate to the NFL he’s going to be really good. Sure; there’s a chance he’s not… but the juice is worth the squeeze.

Only way we shouldn’t take him is if his red flags are radiating so red they could power the Eastern US.

And I get the impression that’s not at all going to be the case.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Mahomes is coached by Reid and Rodgers and Love have the Packers QB factory. 

Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Philip Rivers, Carson Palmer, Kirk Cousins, Eli Manning, Mike Vick, Jalen Hurts…

Edit: I know some of those guys weren’t first rounders, but that’s really beside the overall point…

Edited by HTTRDynasty

Just now, Warhead36 said:

Brady, Brees, Cousins, and Hurts were not

first rounders.

See above… doesn’t really matter if they were first rounders or not. They were guys who benefitted from sitting for at least 1 year and were able to hit the ground running because of it. 

• Thumb up 1

Just now, HTTRDynasty said:

See above… doesn’t really matter if they were first rounders or not. They were guys who benefitted from sitting for at least 1 year and were able to hit the ground running because of it. 

The original tweet mentioned first round QBs

Btw, I’m not saying any QB we select needs to sit for a year. Just that you likely increase their chances for success especially if they have significant issues with their footwork/mechanics 

The original tweet mentioned first round QBs

I know… 

2 hours ago, Going Commando said:

What's the better value to you, Leggette at 36 or McConkey at 67?

It seems counterintuitive, but I think I like McConkey at 67 more.

Both would be great values.  Tough call, but I think i am the same as to value, I'd say McConkey at 67.  IMO he's a rich man's Jamison Crowder.  I can see him as a 100 catch type playing out of the slot.  Killer good on the 2nd level.  

I think his smooth route running makes his play very transferrable to the NFL.  He's so good at selling his routes, where you don't know where he's going until the stem of the route where its too late.  Zone beater.  YAC threat.  Sticky hands.  Can even catch the deep ball well.  Blocks.   A baller.

Also a culture setter like Terry.  

https://georgiadogs.com/news/2023/12/8/football-georgias-ladd-mcconkey-wins-wuerffel-trophy

ATHENS, Ga. --- Georgia junior receiver Ladd McConkey has won the 2023 Wuerffel Trophy which honors college football's most impactful community service leaders, according to an announcement on The Home Deport College Football Awards on ESPN Friday night.

McConkey, a native of Chatsworth, Ga., is Georgia's first winner of the award that originated in 2005.  

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/practice-report/ladd-mcconkey/Z3JMUCQQBVEZVFTPCM2AP63SRM/

Smart has certainly taken note and pays McConkey compliments at each turn for his hard work and effort.

“The guy just runs ‘til his tongue hangs out,” Smart said. “We have to temper him in practice. We’ve got to slow him down. He’s going to run himself to depth, and I’m like, ‘We’ve got to check his GPS, check his volume.’

“He (also) blocks well. The guy’s a competitor.”

https://uga.rivals.com/news/teammates-mcconkey-s-return-is-a-bigger-deal-than-some-think

“Ladd’s an awesome leader. He's kind of like me, kind of leads by example, and he does a really good job at it. He just comes in with a positive mindset and a smile on his face every day,” tight end Brock Bowers said. “I feel like he kind of brings the whole team's vibe up a little bit, and he just does everything right.”

...“Ladd is a great guy. I was really, really excited that he decided to come back, but it's been amazing to see his growth. I remember Ladd always talked about, he was so excited to just be able to travel, and then you know years later, man, he's really, really been a big piece for us making plays down the field,” Van Pran said. “I'm super, super proud of him and really happy for him, because he's taken some amazing strides in his game and also as a person.”

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

To all the we have to take our guy at the top of the first round. Jordan Love is another story of a player that was taken towards end of first round and groomed by good coaching. I would argue the top 3 quarterbacks in football, Mahomes, Jackson, Allen were all not taken in first 5 picks. Throw in Love, Hurts, Dak, Purdy and you have some cases of guys being drafted and groomed by good coaching. There are plenty of good quarterbacks later in the draft. Spencer Rattler was the number 1 prospect in his class coming out. He has talent and could be unlocked with the right coaching.

• Thumb up 2

40 minutes ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

To all the we have to take our guy at the top of the first round. Jordan Love is another story of a player that was taken towards end of first round and groomed by good coaching. I would argue the top 3 quarterbacks in football, Mahomes, Jackson, Allen were all not taken in first 5 picks. Throw in Love, Hurts, Dak, Purdy and you have some cases of guys being drafted and groomed by good coaching. There are plenty of good quarterbacks later in the draft. Spencer Rattler was the number 1 prospect in his class coming out. He has talent and could be unlocked with the right coaching.

Totally understand what you're saying but none of those teams were drafting #2 overall so they were only in position to get the lower valued QBs.......obviously lower valued at the time of those drafts......Luckily it worked out for those teams, but they also had some decent rosters already in place.  Sadly for us our roster is not ready to compete so we can't get cute, we need to get this year's QB1 or QB2

Edited by DazedSkinsfan

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Philip Rivers, Carson Palmer, Kirk Cousins, Eli Manning, Mike Vick, Jalen Hurts…

Edit: I know some of those guys weren’t first rounders, but that’s really beside the overall point…

Logically, it makes sense to not throw a rookie to the wolves.... but most of these examples are players going to strong, high quality organizations where they sit, because the team didn't need them to start.

So the case could easily be made that getting drafted by a GOOD team is the real factor here, not necessarily the sitting for 1-2 years...

Edited by DiscoBob
  • Like 1

“Ladd is a great guy" - I can hear Oingo Boingo singing this.

We're at #2.  We're not going to spend any additional draft capital in a draft where 3 QBs will probably go 1, 2, 3.  Heck, there may be a 4th at 4.  That's a pretty good position to be in.  We can still buy/draft protection and assets.  I wouldn't spend 1 pick on D unless it's OMFGthisguyfelltous???

17 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Unfortunately we don't have a Brett Favre or Aaron Rodgers or even an Alex Smith for our rookie to sit and learn from

True but we will have a HC (Ben Johnson, I believe) that can transform a QB that was beaten and battered by a HC that didn't care and an OL that stunk and an OC that doesn't know how to call a game. He can also develop our new QB to play lights out too.  

5 minutes ago, RWJ said:

True but we will have a HC (Ben Johnson, I believe) that can transform a QB that was beaten and battered by a HC that didn't care and an OL that stunk and an OC that doesn't know how to call a game. He can also develop our new QB to play lights out too.  

Goff has always been a good Qb. Howell is nowhere near that level. 

Yeah I need people to stop acting like Goff was some bum. He went to a Super Bowl. Yes the Rams decided to upgrade but that doesn’t mean he was some terrible player. He was good. He has gotten better in Detroit- it helps to have a stud WR in St. Brown, one of the best offensive lines in football, two good RBs and a stud TE. 

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Howell essentially sat for an entire season (except for 1 game where he started) and it seems like it did him no good.

Which reflects poorly on him more  than it suggests that sitting is not valuable (which it can be for a competent QB with an aptitude for learning, which Howell does not seem to be) 

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

He sucked before Ben Johnson transformed his career and he was traded along with a 1st round pick to acquire Stafford and is much younger than Stafford.  I disagree respectfully.  

• Like 1