Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Western Kentucky Hilltoppers have some interesting players - aside from WR Malachi Corley who I think is being slept on a tad. 

My favorite Day 3 QB is Western Kentucky's Austin Reed

Western Kentucky WR's Jaylen Hall, Dalvin Smith, & Dawood Davis are good.

• Like 2

Just watched two games of Spencer Rattler.  In general, my opinion is yawn albiet he has some potential.  Tough for me to get that jazzed about Rattler's upside: 6 '1, with average mobiity.  Good arm.   At a minimum, I see him as a solid backup.  No way I'd like the idea of banking on him as a starter. 

Overall, my take is Spencer would fit perfectly how this team has played QB for the last 30 years or so.  Medium ceiling.   Medium floor.   Best case IMO is an average starter, worst case a low end starter or backup.   With the disclaimer, that sometimes dudes like this surprise.  But I am a bit tired of banking on a surprise.     

As a complement, I don't see why he and Bo Nix aren't considered in the same bucket considered both of their strengths IMO are the same.  Quick passes in the flat where they hit their receivers in stride.  It's in that mode of Daniel Jones, that's his strength, too  

To me he is a stronger armed but less mobile Bo Nix.  Nix gets billed though for his personality, Rattler seems to be a mix bag on that front.  I've read that some don't care for Spencer's personality but I don't get the source of it aside from his appearance on that Netflix show as a HS player and coming off bratty on it.

In the two games i watched, Spencer played under center much more than the typical QB prospect.   He has a a quick effortless delvery.  Mobility OK.   Not much as to wow throws.   Can be clunky in the pocket when under pressure.  But I like his footwork including when he has to readjust it when he is flushed in the pocket.  

The thing that bothers me the most watching him is they play it so safe with him. It makes you wonder why?  It's not just that he throws so much to the flat but it comes so often as one read action.   Many times, they ball is snapped to him, he stares directly right at the target in the flat and throws to him without scanning the field for anything else.  I can't see how he can live like that in the NFL.

I see here that Sports Info Solutions grades Rattler high but then you got PFF which hasn't been bad at unearthing mid round types grading Rattler in the 70s as a passer which is one of the lowest grades in this class, and behind Michael Pratt in that next tier.

Using their metrics, Rattler had the lowest number of big time throws in this group.  That meets the eye test for me as to what I saw.   He's also a dude in this group who also has a high conversion to sack rate.  One of the lowest rates as to depths of targets. That also meets the eye test for me.   He had one of the highest numbers of his yards tied to screens so he's clearly throwing a high percentage of stuff on the first level-short which also matches what I saw.

I am curious about the Senior Bowl with him.  Like it was for Daniel Jones, this should be a good setting for him.  My interest in him as a starter is zero.  But in the context of a mid round type comparing him to the group from that range last year, I like him because I see him potentially being a strong backup.  I'd be surprised if he's a starter but anything of course is possible. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

If that's true...how angry and knee-jerk-reactionary-moves will they do if a division rival drafts him instead?

Will their ownership push for a move up regardless?

Don't know.  But Schoen doesn't strike me a dumb.

@Going Commando  likes to associate Maye some to Josh Allen.   Staying on that train of though, Schoen and Daboll of course were with Josh in Buffalo.  So maybe they are thinking they can recreate something like that in NY.

Daboll did well relatvely speaking of getting more out of Daniel Jones than some expected in 2022.  But you got a low ceiling IMO with Jones.  That team has the same problem this team has which is a garbage O line.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

To me he is a stronger armed but less mobile Bo Nix

We'll have to agree to disagree on this point friend otherwise I agree. I see Rattler strictly as a backup type QB, but a high level one with some upside. Arm strength is my issue with him and he tends to force things too much IMO.

Edited by Chump Bailey

Was listening to Conner Rogers, one of the PFF guys who did the one hour reconstruction of this roster for a video I posted here.  I haven't watched the whole video yet.

But on the radio, his take...

A.  the roster has a good enough base where you can get good again fast considering all the draft capital and cap room they have.

B.  He thinks this is a really good QB class especially at the top, stacks up well to prior drafts and landing top 2 would be helpful.  

C.  Likes Caleb and Drake as the top 2.  then Daniels and then Penix.

D.  Thinks Drake Maye has a shot at #1. He thinks Caleb is #1 but there isn't a big gap between him and Maye so it will depend on the flavor of what teams want

E.  He wouldn't trade back to hope to land a QB, too many QB needy teams, you likely get burned by this

F.  Loves this opportunity for this team to marry a new GM, new coach, new QB, its a unique opportunity for everyone to be on the same page

G.  Thinks FA is good for edge (me among others have made this same point) and fix that spot in FA

H.  You can take the QB and use other picks to fix O line -- good draft for that.

I.  Liked Ben Johnson or Todd Munken as HC possibilities here

J. Ed Dodds from the Colts is his fav GM candidate.  The possibility to reset here with a potential franchise QB makes this an attractive job among other reasons.

2 hours ago, Chump Bailey said:

We'll have to agree to disagree on this point friend otherwise I agree. I see Rattler strictly as a backup type QB, but a high level one with some upside. Arm strength is my issue with him and he tends to force things too much IMO.

I mentioned Rattler has a backup so I gather our disagreement is you think Nix has a stronger arm than Rattler?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I mentioned Rattler has a backup so I gather our disagreement is you think Nix has a stronger arm than Rattler?

Precisely. I think Nix's arm is being very underrated personally but I am in the minority there I realize.

• Thumb up 1

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Wow, I didn't expect Brooks to enter this draft

Kiper had him as RB1 before the injury.  I'd take him with the SF comp pick, but I think he gets snatched up before then.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Kiper had him as RB1 before the injury.  I'd take him with the SF comp pick, but I think he gets snatched up before then.

PFF has him #1 too.  Almost 4 yards after contact.  Corum for example who I dig is at 2.5.  I haven't studied Brooks but liked what i saw from watching other players.  But I'll take a hard look now.  So I don't have an opinion yet.

I think Corum likely goes first in this class, my guess is he goes early 3rd.  Maybe late 2nd.  I don't think he goes earlier than that because of his size and age.   But will see.  I think the combine will be big in his case and might change things.

Brooks I'd bet goes in the 4th considering the ACL.  

A lot can happen with this offense if we:

1. Draft a QB

2. Fix the OL

3. Establish a dominant rushing attack

I think we can make those 3 happen fairly easily this off-season between FA and the draft.

Rogers, if I remember correct, was pretty high on Stromberg last year. He likes him a lot and was surprised we had him and he was on IR (guess he forgot who drafted him).

LT Leno or Rookie 2nd round pick 

LG 2nd round pick

C Stromberg

RG Cosmi

RT 2nd round pick or Free Agent (Onwenu, Cincy RT)

Ideally you don't have more than 2 rookies starting on the OL - and also ideally not next to each other. But if Stromberg is our Center moving forward, the OL is going to need time to gel and improve together as the season progresses, and if you're going to rip off the bandaid, might as well do it early and let a young group coalesce around each other. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Precisely. I think Nix's arm is being very underrated personally but I am in the minority there I realize.

Both Nix and Rattler major in throwing short.  I think they have a shot in the pros in the right system.  Don't love either one but don't hate them either. 

Arm strength is tough to guage.  To my eyes Rattler has more velocity on his throws than Nix and Nix seems to need to put more of his body into his throws.  In other words, when they throw off their back foot I'd bet on Rattler as to velocity.  But I can't swear by it.  No way to know for sure.  The cool thing about seeing QBs throw in person is its easy to see it in that context.  When I've gone to training camp it was easy to see.   Tougher to see on TV.

I do like Nix over Rattler.  I don't love either one.  I'd bet against either one being a top level starter.  But both are good candidates to be in that class of QBs who surprise in the pros ala a Purdy, etc.    

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

I think the thing with Nix is that he is playing in an offense that is not asking him to do too much. It is not very complicated. I watched a bunch of highlights of his and it looked like a lot of screens and RPO's.  But I thought he had very good arm strength and was able to drive the ball quite well over the middle, and on the outside.  

I don't know where he would go in this draft. Top of the second round? I honestly have no clue. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Was listening to Conner Rogers, one of the PFF guys who did the one hour reconstruction of this roster for a video I posted here.  I haven't watched the whole video yet.

G.  Thinks FA is good for edge (me among others have made this same point) and fix that spot in FA

Yea, that was a really good listen, thanks for posted the link.  I would add those guys felt the FA market was stronger for defensive players in general and they mentioned 3 guys (CB - Bears Jaylon Johnson, Edge - mentioned Burns if he doesn't get tagged and a LB) that would be good gets.  They focused primarily on Oline (Tackle & Guard) via draft, RB to replace Gibson, LB (mentioned Trotter JR) and situational edge with the first 5 picks.  The defensive guys they would try to resign are Curl and Reaves.

Also like their mention of the true cap available which after draft allocation will be around $64 mil which is still #1 in the league but not the $81 mil everyone thinks it is.

I was definitely intrigued.

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Yea, that was a really good listen, thanks for posted the link.  I would add those guys felt the FA market was stronger for defensive players in general and they mentioned 3 guys (CB - Bears Jaylon Johnson, Edge - mentioned Burns if he doesn't get tagged and a LB) that would be good gets.  They focused primarily on Oline (Tackle & Guard) via draft, RB to replace Gibson, LB (mentioned Trotter JR) and situational edge with the first 5 picks.  The defensive guys they would try to resign are Curl and Reaves.

Also like their mention of the true cap available which after draft allocation will be around $64 mil which is still #1 in the league but not the $81 mil everyone thinks it is.

With other looming releases Keim among others thinks the cap room will grow

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Wow, I didn't expect Brooks to enter this draft

Big mistake especially after you've torn your ACL.  Go back to school, show them you've recovered by having a decent year or redshirt then come back and get drafted higher.  He'll be selected on Day 3 now.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Maybe a player or two gets traded and it frees up more cap space.  One who have been voicing his displeasure, Allen and F1 may be traded too.  Both would bring some nice selections and save a lot on cap space.   

It's going to be a long 3.5 months.  So many draftniks and media people who have commented on this based on whom they talked to say different people have a different order for these QBs.

I am I gather more relaxed about this than some here because I'd be good with any of those three QBs for different reasons.  Jayden would be a lot of fun but can he hold up?  But regardless, I'd be jazzed for any one of the top 3.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Thanks for sharing. Pretty good listen. Covered a lot of ground for non-local guys.

But, I had trouble with the intro where they confused Slovick with his dad. And don’t like how they don’t entertain moving Wylie off of RT. 

It does make me want to dig more info on the Miami and Baltimore OC’s.

I will say that signing Jaylon Johnson is easier said than done. Lots of teams are going to want him. But I like most of their approach.