Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

My biggest Daniels fear is that he is so slight in frame. He’s not small, persay. But slight.

Gives me major Griffin flashbacks. 

And we just had an up close and personal look at a slight framed player not transitioning well…

Different positions, different styles… so it’s at least partially able to be passed off as not a big deal… but still.

That's Mike Renner's comp to Daniels - RG3 and I feel the same. I do like him a lot - enough to likely rank him ahead of Maye but his seemingly frail frame is a legit concern. 

Edited by Chump Bailey

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

My biggest Daniels fear is that he is so slight in frame. He’s not small, persay. But slight.

Gives me major Griffin flashbacks. 

And we just had an up close and personal look at a slight framed player not transitioning well…

Different positions, different styles… so it’s at least partially able to be passed off as not a big deal… but still.

I read he was able to put on 10-15 pounds at lsu. I'm hoping if he is our guy, with an nfl diet and training staff he can bulk up even more. Him being skinny is worrisome though. At least he's not sunken chested like forbes. If I remember Jacoby was thin when he came in the league, but he looks big and strong now

23 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Can someone point me to a franchise that sucked for 3+ seasons, allowed the GM/HC/QB to see it through, and then eventually got good? 

Long rebuilds don’t happen in the NFL. Execs/coaches usually get 2 years to show signs of progress. 

Agree.

Randy Mueller, ex-GM, past executive of the year, talked about this multiple times in podcasts recently.  Rebuilds now if you do it properly are 2 years.  It doesn't take forever.  Look what the Lions did.  Look what the Dolphins did.  Look at how the Eagles bounced back from their bad season years back and won a SB in two years.

As Mueller explained there are more means to build a team quickly then there was years back.  College-NFL offenses are more similar than years back -- draft picks adapt faster.  More trades happen now.  There is more cap room than ever to maneuver your roster.   When you have a GM who knows what they are doing, it should come together quickly as long of course as you have a QB.

If you are on season 4 and still "meh" then the FO has already proven they suck.  The sucking isn't just going to organically get better in year 5.  I think the mindset that it takes a long painful rebuild is based on old school thinking.  I get it. Rebuilds years back did take longer.  Also we are so conditioned to criticize Dan's era for not having a long-term view that it came with the idea that patience is a virtue and Dan lacked that -- so the opposite extreme of that is to deal with a long painful rebuild.   And our unsuccessful coach centric operations namely Shanny and Rivera acted and preached that it takes a long time to rebuild a team because it was self serving to them -- hey we suck now, we made bad personnel moves, but that's normal, give us 5 years and you'll see bam how it all comes together.

We got 5 picks in the top 100.  This organization has never had that ever from what I understand.  Never. We likely will have over 100 million in cap.  I can't recall the last time we had the third most cap room in the league to spend.   And some act like our resources are scarce as if this isn't a factor and instead its like any other past off season for this team.   

The idea that it all hangs on that first round pick.  Our whole off season is dependent on that one pick.   It's not.  If it was our off season is already defeated.  If we traded Sweat for a pick that's meaningless?   We've craved early 2nd round picks, we rarely get them, and now we are going to have two of them but that's yawn?   Yeah we got a zillion in cap room to spend but expect the FO to buy 15 Ziggy Hoods with it and not a single impact player.

My point is those hinging the whole off season on the first round pick is betting big against the new regime coming in.  If they have all those picks and cap room and can't even bring this team back to mediocrity next year (which we've been every year under Ron sans this year) and to be a playoff season the season after -- then it means we hired a bunch of boobs.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My point is those hinging the whole off season on the first round pick is betting big against the new regime coming in.  If they have all those picks and cap room and can't even bringing this team back to mediocrity next year (which we've been every year under Ron sans this year) and to be a playoff season the season after -- then it means we hired a bunch of boobs.  

And this is possible, yes. We still don’t know who the boobs are or how big the boobs are.

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

That's Mike Renner's comp to Daniels - RG3 and I feel the same. I do like him a lot - enough to likely rank him ahead of Maye but his seemingly frail frame is a legit concern. 

I loved hearing him say that because I said it weeks before.  The comparison seems obvious to me.   He has that RG3 build.  Like RG3 he emerged in his last season.

He has that flick of the wrist deep ball like RG3.  And is electrifying as a runner.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

And this is possible, yes. We still don’t know who the boobs are or how big the boobs are.

I thought of using a perfect gif to respond to this.  But it hit me that i could get in trouble for it.  :ols:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I loved hearing him say that because I said it weeks before.  The comparison seems obvious to me.   He has that RG3 build.  Like RG3 he emerged in his last season.

He has that flick of the wrist deep ball like RG3.  And is electrifying as a runner.

The difference I see is Daniels is so much more shifty. RG3 was a narrow hipped track runner. The main concern to figure out is his head.

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Maye has that same 'flick' ability - I like his arm but there is something that is bothering me about Maye. I'll likely flip-flop but his Clemson game was not good. 

30 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

I'm getting overrated vibes for Drake Maye personally but still have a long way to go. 

I feel the same way but the scouts need to see him throw in person. He reminds me a bit of Herbert that in college you couldn’t really see his arm talent as well. I watched Maye a few times this year and said Meh. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Daniels is taller and definitely looks for the throw longer than rg3 did. He is a bit more shifty as well. From what I've heard is he goes through his progressions and truly is a throw 1st qb.

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Clearly, you got some built in cyncism about this team. :ols:  I recall you were the most skeptical on that thread about Dan was selling even with report after report they were deep in the process.  

You don't believe until you see it happen.  I get it.  My take is this team about to become normal.  It's run by someone normal with proven competence elsewhere.  It's not run by an incompetent version Vadar anymore.  No guarantees of success.  But I think there is plenty of room to be optimistic now. 

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Clearly, you got some built in cyncism about this team. :ols:  I recall you were the most skeptical on that thread about Dan was selling even with report after report they were deep in the process.  

You don't believe until you see it happen.  I get it.  My take is this team about to become normal.  It's run by someone normal with proven competence elsewhere.  It's not run by an incompetent version Vadar anymore.  No guarantees of success.  But I think there is plenty of room to be optimistic now. 

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Yes, as much as I repeat my cynicism (which isn’t, by the way), you continue to post your overt optimism. 

It’s a never ending cycle.

We’ll see how it pans out.

I am hopeful and overall optimistic that the right decisions are made. Until it happens, though, I won’t drink the kool-aid that a lot of folks seem to be. Seeing is believing.

7 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

You cant rebuild without a QB. Until you get one youre just mucking in mediocrity. This notion that we need to build thr roster for three years before we go get one is why were in the mess were in now.

No one is saying build the roster for three years. Not a soul. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

Daniels is taller and definitely looks for the throw longer than rg3 did. He is a bit more shifty as well. From what I've heard is he goes through his progressions and truly is a throw 1st qb.

I've elaborated a lot on Daniels.  That was my cliff notes version of it as to comps to RG3.  He's not as fast as RG3 I believe, will see at the combine but IMO he's a better runner than him because of his shiftiness and possessing some real RB moves ala a wicked spin move.   I'd say RG3's arm strength is a tick better.  RG3's issues were clearly he didn't have good vision, couldn't process the field quick enough and lacked peripheral vision-pocket presence.

Jayden will bail on plenty of throws if his first-2nd read isn't open.  He isn't running for 1000 yards plus without doing that plenty of times.  Having said that, he does keep his eyes down field when is chased in the pocket and clearly has arm talent.  The field vision procession stuff -- as Bruce Arians said in his book among others -- its impossible to know until you have them in the building and see how they do it in practice and ultimately in pro games.  That's the mystery. 

I like Jayden.  I've been more or less been pushing him for a few weeks in different threads.  I don't think he's slam dunk.  But if we had answers to all the concerns about him then he'd be going #1 so the questions will probably be the reason why we have a shot at him.

I was going back and forth with @The Consigliere on Daniels.  And he concluded it well once for me.  He's high risk but it also might be high risk not to pull the trigger, too.  I think he's one of these guys who is either going to be great and learn to protect himself.  Or bust-be injury prone.  Hard call.  But by and large, I am cool with taking risks at QB and swinging for the fences.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Yes, as much as I repeat my cynicism (which isn’t, by the way), you continue to post your overt optimism. 

It’s a never ending cycle.

We’ll see how it pans out.

I've been cynical about much.  Anything Dan related big time.  I might have been the lead cynic on Bruce.  Cynic on Zorn.  I turned on Shanny his last year.  Ron ditto his last year.  I was critical of Jay the first year.  I've lived mostly in that cynic space.

But lol, I saw the darkness having one overriding theme by a mile.  Dan Snyder. 

But when there were some cracks where it looked like the Death Star might finally be blown up and I trusted cynical reporters like Keim that it likely is coming -- I believed.  Ditto his take among others on this new regime.  It's all really good.  And heck even if I thought maybe its hyperbole -- at a minimum it comes off that they are at least normal.  We didn't have normal before.  That alone IMO is a seismic shift from the past. 

And like I said I researched the heck out of Josh Harris before he bought the team.  That was my guy so to speak that I wanted.  He's not a magician obviously.  Everyone makes mistakes.  He will make them, too.  But yeah I fully believe we are about to embark on a journey that at a minimum we will use the "normal" way that good teams build.  It's not a guarantee it will work.  Maybe it will take a little longer if they hit snags or whatever.  But yeah I am confident we will get there.  Will see.  

3 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

I don't think any of these guys are. Far better than previous years to choose amongst but there is no Andrew Luck type for me thus far. 

I agree. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

I feel the same way but the scouts need to see him throw in person. He reminds me a bit of Herbert that in college you couldn’t really see his arm talent as well. I watched Maye a few times this year and said Meh. 

Maye has all the traits.  I think that's the bet with him.   Size. Arm strength. Quick release.  Mobility.

The hard thing I think about him is his accuracy is streaky.  He hits some beauties, especially with the deep ball.  But then his accuracy can also be off on all three levels. 

I was listening to Grant Paulsen talk yesterday about how good Drake is avoiding sacks unlike Howell at North Carolina but from what I watched that's not exactly true.  Howell might have taken more sacks.  But Drake isn't the best IMO at escaping pressure in the pocket.

But he has prototype traits and when he's on he looks like he can be elite.  I think if he has the work ethic-committment and hooked up with a good offensive mind, he can be a really good pro.

But after reading all the hype about Drake I was surprised that to my eyes he had more wildcard in his play than I expected.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The hard thing I think about him is his accuracy is streaky.  He hits some beauties, especially with the deep ball.  But then his accuracy can also be off on all three levels. 

I was listening to Grant Paulsen talk yesterday about how good Drake is avoiding sacks unlike Howell at North Carolina but from what I watched that's not exactly true.  Howell might have taken more sacks.  But Drake isn't the best IMO at escaping pressure in the pocket.

But has prototype traits and when he's on he looks like he can be elite.  I think if he has the work ethic-committment and hooked up with a good offensive mind, he can be a really good pro.

But after reading all the hype about Drake I was surprised that to my eyes he had more wildcard in his play than I expected.

That's precisely as I see it too.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Maye has that same 'flick' ability - I like his arm but there is something that is bothering me about Maye. I'll likely flip-flop but his Clemson game was not good. 

For me its the dude for example isn't like watching Joe Burrow.  Burrow's accuracy and pocket presence IMO is a peg better.

I get the Herbet comparisons in that you are betting on size-traits with Maye.

But yeah I think in short with Maye his inconsistent accuracy is evident in every game I've watched of his. So far 5 games.

So in some sense I get the hype.  And in another sense I have concerns, too.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, illone said:

I dont think this rebuild has to take 2+ years.

Houston had arguably a worse roster coming into the offseason and turned things around quickly with coaching and QB. Hell they could still win the division in YEAR ONE of their rebuild.

It definitely feels like the cupboard is bare in Washington right now, but I firmly believe that if the new ownership group nails the GM and Head Coach hires then we could be looking at a competitive team next season.

On the topic of Howell, I am a fan of the kid, but I think any discerning NFL GM would absolutely consider QB with the top 5 pick in the upcoming draft, especially with how things have gone the past month or so. Howell just looks lost on most plays and doesnt anticipate throws. Not to say he cant get there, but it definitely seems like he needs a more balanced system around him plus you get to reset the contract and give your team a longer runway with the salary cap, 4 years vs 2 years w Howell.  

I'm completely open to the possibilities at this point. Love Howell but I love the franchise more and ultimately I have a very hard time trusting being saddled with roster decisions made by Rivera. It's time to move forward and embrace the modern NFL.

I disagree with us being able to be competitive next year.   (And by that, I mean finishing 1st or 2nd in our division).  I hope I'm wrong, but if you look objectively at this roster, we have very little talent.  Ron and his band of FO idiots did next to nothing in four years except for dismantling a good O line and replacing it with drek.

Defense:

We have one pretty good CB in Fuller.  That's it.  Forbes as of now is a huge bust.  He doesn't look like he belongs in the league at all.  Maybe that will change, but as of now, he's a bust.  Who the heck knows even where Quan will end up playing.   Maybe Nickel corner.  He looks like with another year he could be at least solid.

We have no real LBs.  (Davis is little more than "a guy" who certainly couldn't start on any other team).

Our safeties are very meh, and don't come down with the ball hardly ever.  They strike fear in no one.  Certainly not one tone setter amongst them.  Then again, this entire team has zero tone setters.

We have no DEs.

We have two good DTs who really didn't show up this year, and Allen may not even be here next year.  Zero depth behind them.

We have one OK Offensive lineman in Cosmi.   That's it.  No real quality depth and certainly no other quality starters.

We have no TEs to speak of.

We have Terry at WR.   JD was a no show this season.  Maybe he shows up next year.  Curtis is good but doesn't really affect games.  He's not a difference maker and probably won't be back.  We have zero depth behind those guys.

We have two good RBs.  

We have a "maybe can be good" QB who doesn't elevate anyone around him and still has a bunch of questions outside of just protection issues.  I've seen nothing from Sam (whom I like) so far that would deter me for a nanosecond from drafting a QB with our 1st rounder IF we really like a guy there.  Add to that there are precious few dudes at QB with Sam's height who go on to do much in the NFL.  The height issue is very real.

There's a TON of work to do on this roster before we can compete, IMHO.  Of course, as a fan, I would do backflips to accelerate that process.  But as Harris astutely put it, there are no shortcuts to the top.  And we're scraping the bottom currently. 

Edited by Redwards

I think it was a little bit pessimistic.  Jamin Davis is a starting caliber LB.  Not a good one, but starting caliber.   Like Forbes he was a bit of a trainwreck as a rookie, but in year 3, both the beat reporters who watch the tape and PFF say he is a starter level player (PFF Grade 67).  I think Curl who is a free agent is a good S.  I am a bit higher on the O-Line.  Though I do agree we are not a contender next year.

On 12/18/2023 at 10:38 PM, method man said:

If he were at least an above average run blocker, I might be with you but he is not even average for NFL standards in that arena. Why spend a top 6 pick on that? Early teens sure but there is better value to be had with that pick

Perceived value is what made RR and Co. draft like 12 consecutive DE with the high picks we've had in his regime LOL

The reality speaks for itself. We did NOT need these guys and traded or let some some of them walk. 

22 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

If we can teach him to throw the ball with anticipation this team will be "gold, Jerry, gold".  Bringing in Kenny Bania. 

I sense your not sold either on drafting a superlative lineman even though it's a huge need on this team, eh?

• Haha 1