Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Slightly off topic but kinda on because it does effect the draft via guys sitting out…

If Bama hangs on… what the heck does the committee do? Hope like hell either Michigan or Florida State lose?

Georgia would fall to Bama.

Michigan would be 1 assuming they win.

Washington would be 2. Let’s say Florida State wins…

Does Alabama jump in? Okay… but then Texas doesn’t get in? They beat the brakes off of Bama. 

I almost think if everything goes chalk besides Bama you might get Michigan, Washington, Texas, Bama.

But how do you leave Georgia out?

You would leave Georgia out based on the premise that the SEC Championship Game actually matters. If they lose this game and advance, then what was the point of playing this game in the first place?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Franklin60 said:

You would leave Georgia out based on the premise that the SEC Championship Game actually matters. If they lose this game and advance, then what was the point of playing this game in the first place?

Okay. I’m fine with that and I would, too.

But FSU shouldn’t be in over Bama or Texas, no matter what happens, if you are trying to get the four best teams in. 

If you are trying to make the rankings mean something week to week, then FSU has to get in and Bama gets shafted and there are no SEC teams in the playoff (which is fine)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Slightly off topic but kinda on because it does effect the draft via guys sitting out…

If Bama hangs on… what the heck does the committee do? Hope like hell either Michigan or Florida State lose?

Georgia would fall to Bama.

Michigan would be 1 assuming they win.

Washington would be 2. Let’s say Florida State wins…

Does Alabama jump in? Okay… but then Texas doesn’t get in? They beat the brakes off of Bama. 

I almost think if everything goes chalk besides Bama you might get Michigan, Washington, Texas, Bama.

But how do you leave Georgia out?

I think Georgia is going to be out. Especially how they are losing this game. They are getting completely manhandled in the trenches. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

If Bowers falls to us and we take him I certainly wouldn't cry about it.  This dude is the total package.  I know drafting TE early can be a crap shoot but my God what can't this guy do on the football field. 

Georgia looks like they could beat a few NFL teams so far today.  Looks like a long day for Bama if they score on this drive

I understand the love for Bowers as he is the best TE in the draft but I think we need to draft one of the stud OTs at #5 (Alt or Fashanu) either one who is available because I think one will be taken before we pick.  If we were to take Bowers and I think he would be available, we lose out on both and there is drop off after both of them at LT.  We can land Stover with one 1st 3rd round pick as I think he would be available and would be a steal at that pick and would pan out to be a very good TE both at pass receiving and blocking.  I think EDGE and another OT need to be selected in the 2nd.  I need to redo my mock draft list.  LOL. 

• Like 2

I’m going to go against the grain. If we’re picking top 5ish and take Bowers I think it is a MAJOR mistake. He’s a generational talent at tight end. Agreed. But he’s a tight end. Yes, he’d improve this team. But is he the biggest improvement for this team? I think we can get a productive TE easier than a T or G or even a stud WR…

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

I know Im the vehement anti TE in the 1st here but man Bowers is good. Itd be HARD to pass on him. Dude can do it all. I wouldnt hate taking him even as high as 5. Hes gonna be the best TE in the league and a real star by 2025.

WH, no doubt Bowers is the best, not close but as KDawg states and I believe and have posted you know we have to get one of the stud Left OTs.  Right, dude!  :) 

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I know Im the vehement anti TE in the 1st here but man Bowers is good. Itd be HARD to pass on him. Dude can do it all. I wouldnt hate taking him even as high as 5. Hes gonna be the best TE in the league and a real star by 2025.

I remember hearing the same about Pitts. Now, fair play: Bowers is a much better overall player than Pitts. But again, tight ends are so hard to project. 

I agree it’s a definitive discussion… passing on him isn’t easy.

But drafting a tight end at 5 is a tough call to make. 10? Absolutely. Maybe even 8. But in this draft I’m just not sure. 

• Like 3

Just now, clskinsfan said:

The expanded playoffs are going to take away a lot of the drama of these Conference championship games. Georgia would be in the playoffs regardless of todays outcome. Kind of sad to see the importance of these games disappear. 

I disagree. The top 4 getting byes is a MAJOR incentive and I’ve heard similar takes and I don’t get it. A bye in the playoffs is huge. There is a big difference between 4th and 5th seeds.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I disagree. The top 4 getting byes is a MAJOR incentive and I’ve heard similar takes and I don’t get it. A bye in the playoffs is huge. There is a big difference between 4th and 5th seeds.

Yeah I keep forgetting about the bye. But it is only for the 4 highest ranked teams as well. I am just glad Penn State will finally get a chance to in the playoffs. :)

24 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

The expanded playoffs are going to take away a lot of the drama of these Conference championship games. Georgia would be in the playoffs regardless of todays outcome. Kind of sad to see the importance of these games disappear. 

Totally agree!!!  These SEC championship games are legendary.  The other conferences are hit or miss in their championship games.  Tonight was that heavy weight fight that the entire country was dying for.  As for who gets in?? Who knows,  but regardless of tonight's outcome,  I would still take a fully healthy Georgia team over the rest of the playoff teams.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

If Bowers falls to us and we take him I certainly wouldn't cry about it.  This dude is the total package.  I know drafting TE early can be a crap shoot but my God what can't this guy do on the football field. 

PFN also think we go Bowers...

5) Washington Commanders: Brock Bowers, WR/TE, Georgia

Sam Howell has shown enough to earn another year — but the pressure will be on in 2024. A weapon like Brock Bowers can unlock the next stage of Howell’s development. He’s a bird of prey on 50-50 balls and a turbo-charged ball of butcher knives in space, who can separate independently or be used on motions.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/7-round-2024-nfl-mock-draft-saturday-week-14-2023/

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

This is the nightmare scenario for the committee.  The committee doesn't want to punish teams for playing in their conference championships.  But they also don't want to leave out undefeated P5 teams.  No matter what they do, they're screwing over one of the largest and wealthiest programs in the country.  They're going to have to pick Florida State over Georgia and Texas.  This scenario was inevitable in such a tiny playoff field.  They are going to lose a mountain of money this year because they dragged their feet for ten years on playoff expansion.

4 hours ago, Franklin60 said:

It should matter more than the regular season games against Oklahoma and Texas?

4 hours ago, Going Commando said:

This is the nightmare scenario for the committee.  The committee doesn't want to punish teams for playing in their conference championships.  But they also don't want to leave out undefeated P5 teams.  No matter what they do, they're screwing over one of the largest and wealthiest programs in the country.  They're going to have to pick Florida State over Georgia and Texas.  This scenario was inevitable in such a tiny playoff field.  They are going to lose a mountain of money this year because they dragged their feet for ten years on playoff expansion.

It should matter more than the regular season games against Oklahoma and Texas?

I can see a bunch of arguments for a bunch of teams.

Georgia has the best quality loss of all the -1 teams.

Alabama lost to Texas, so that matters. But Texas lost to Oklahoma, which is the worst loss of all the -1 teams in consideration.

Ohio State has a loss to Michigan, the only TRUE lock in the playoffs (who also had a scandal on their record), which I don’t believe should enter the convo)

Washington seems to be skating in per everyone’s thoughts but they clearly have the easiest road to get to where they are and that needs to be considered.  

One of the actual criteria the committee uses is “player and coach availability” so no Jordan Travis is a huge strike against undefeated FSU. 

But FSU may have the best defense of all the teams in consideration. 

Then there is the logical yet not happening argument for Liberty. If losses matter than Liberty should be in (but we all know they shouldn’t.)

If you want the four best teams it’s probably Michigan, Georgia, Alabama, Texas.

But that precedent isn’t going to be set. Nor should it be.

Recency is one of the biggest criteria I think. So Georgia and Ohio State have to be out. 

That leaves us with Michigan being a lock.

And then I think we should have each head coach from Washington/FSU/Bama/Texas arm wrestle.

So based on next years draft which seems not as good on QBs and OTs I would try to find a way to get two first rounds in THIS draft a la Texans from last year. If we could trade Howell and 1 or 2 2nds Id want a QB Williams or Daniels and a OT Fashanu or Alt. You can always get receivers and TEs later. This may be far fetched and hard to accomplish BUT has happended before. 

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Recency is one of the biggest criteria I think. So Georgia and Ohio State have to be out. 

If they did four best teams, I'm not sure Texas makes it in over Ohio State.  They won't do that though.  Washington and FSU are going to get the 2 and 3 seeds.  The one rule the committee can't break is excluding undefeated P5 champions to favor cleaner one loss teams.  Especially when the ACC was actually good this year and did way better in the head to heads against the SEC than any of the other conferences.

Ohio State and Georgia don't have a leg to stand on any more, and that is flat out bad for college football.  Two of the premier programs in the country, who could easily be playing each other for the championship in a true playoff field, are going to get left out even though they have the two best losses of the entire one loss field.  No shame in losing to Michigan in Ann Arbor or Alabama in Atlanta by 3.  And I have basically no doubt that FSU and Washington would get waxed by either Georgia or OSU in a neutral field playoff game.  There is no way FSU could beat Georgia, even as banged up as Georgia was.

Now the committee has to make the bad choice between screwing over Texas or screwing over Bama.  I think you have to choose Bama for the fourth spot. Winning the SEC and beating Georgia>>>winning the Big 12 and beating an Alabama team in week 2 that hadn't learned to throw the ball yet.  This is a vastly different Alabama team than the one Texas faced, and if they played today, Bama probably kills them.  But screwing over Texas is probably the most unpalatable choice for the committee.  It's the richest program in college sports.

4 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Was coming here to post the same thing. That guy is a game wrecker. 

Yep.  I think he's the best defensive player in the class.  I'm going to put him #5 on my board:

1 - Caleb Williams

2 - Drake Maye

3 - Bowers

4 - Harrison Jr

5 - Verse

I feel pretty confident in that top five.  After that, I don't know yet.  I don't know where to rank JJ McCarthy and Jayden Daniels yet.  If I had to rank the next five right now, I would probably go:

6 - Nabers

7 - Dallas Turner

8 - Olu Fashanu

9 - Chop Robinson

10 - Daniels

With Daniels having the upside to leapfrog to #3 I guess.  I'm a little skeptical of him because I just don't think he's got an NFL body, but the talent and game and production are all there.  Put it this way, I would move on from Sam Howell for either Caleb Williams or Drake Maye, but wouldn't for Daniels even though he's probably better too.  I'm not dropping a solid starter for someone who is that rail thin.

Also not 100% on Nabers over Turner yet.  I really like what I see from Nabers, but Turner looks like Micah Parsons.  Turner is probably better, but I'm not 100% sure of his scheme fit here.  But I also don't know what defense we're going to run next year either, so there is even more uncertainty there with him, whereas a player like Nabers is a fit for any team in any scheme.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

Yep.  I think he's the best defensive player in the class.  I'm going to put him #5 on my board:

1 - Caleb Williams

2 - Drake Maye

3 - Bowers

4 - Harrison Jr

5 - Verse

I feel pretty confident in that top five.  After that, I don't know yet.  I don't know where to rank JJ McCarthy and Jayden Daniels yet.  If I had to rank the next five right now, I would probably go:

6 - Nabers

7 - Dallas Turner

8 - Olu Fashanu

9 - Chop Robinson

10 - Daniels

With Daniels having the upside to leapfrog to #3 I guess.  I'm a little skeptical of him because I just don't think he's got an NFL body, but the talent and game and production are all there.  Put it this way, I would move on from Sam Howell for either Caleb Williams or Drake Maye, but wouldn't for Daniels even though he's probably better too.  I'm not dropping a solid starter for someone who is that rail thin.

Also not 100% on Nabers over Turner yet.  I really like what I see from Nabers, but Turner looks like Micah Parsons.  Turner is probably better, but I'm not 100% sure of his scheme fit here.  But I also don't know what defense we're going to run next year either, so there is even more uncertainty there with him, whereas a player like Nabers is a fit for any team in any scheme.

I’m not as high on Turner, Nabers, Williams or Maye as you are. But I am in a similar neighborhood.

As of now I think the best players in the draft are: Marvin Harrison, Brock Bowers, Jared Verse, Kool-Aid, Blake Corum/Trey Benson.

Having said that, I also know that some of those guys play in non premium positions. So accounting for position I think I see the top 5 as:

Harrison, Williams, Maye, Verse and Kool-Aid.

My list is in constant flux. Before last night I had Chop as my #1 Edge and Verse 2. That swapped. 

• Like 3